Random Politics & Religion #27

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #27
Random Politics & Religion #27
First Page 2 3 4 ... 50 51 52
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2017-08-17 14:30:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »
Oh the California law that Google seems to have broken.

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?sectionNum=1101.&lawCode=LAB
Code
No employer shall make, adopt, or enforce any rule, regulation, or policy:
(a) Forbidding or preventing employees from engaging or participating in politics or from becoming candidates for public office.
(b) Controlling or directing, or tending to control or direct the political activities or affiliations of employees.

California Supreme Court has already ruled that it's a very broad definition and covers all forms of political speech

Do you have a link to the court case that indicates the interpretation as such that it would be applicable within the workplace?
 Odin.Slore
Server: Odin
user: Slore
By Odin.Slore 2017-08-17 14:33:06
Link | Quote | Reply

In other news, Barcelona attacks were brought to you by.........peaceful muslims.

Insert gasp of surprise here.
[+]
By Viciouss 2017-08-17 14:37:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Slore said: »
In other news, Barcelona attacks were brought to you by.........peaceful muslims.

Insert gasp of surprise here.

It was either gonna be slore or nausi with this comment. Every time.
 Odin.Slore
By Odin.Slore 2017-08-17 14:41:22
Link | Quote | Reply

is it wrong?
[+]
 Odin.Slore
By Odin.Slore 2017-08-17 14:43:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Is it wrong to classify all muslims as terrorist? You guys are pretty good at classifying all white Trump supporters as terrorist due to one act.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2017-08-17 14:44:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Guys chill, it was just a scathing satire on something no one here actually said.
[+]

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Saevel
Server: Asura
By Asura.Saevel 2017-08-17 14:47:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Zerowone said: »
Oh the California law that Google seems to have broken.

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?sectionNum=1101.&lawCode=LAB
Code
No employer shall make, adopt, or enforce any rule, regulation, or policy:
(a) Forbidding or preventing employees from engaging or participating in politics or from becoming candidates for public office.
(b) Controlling or directing, or tending to control or direct the political activities or affiliations of employees.

California Supreme Court has already ruled that it's a very broad definition and covers all forms of political speech

Do you have a link to the court case that indicates the interpretation as such that it would be applicable within the workplace?

I don't have direct access to the case archives and instead have to link to a paper that was done referencing them.

http://www2.law.ucla.edu/volokh/empspeech.pdf

Page 313
Code
F. Engaging in Political Activities—California, Colorado, Guam,
Louisiana, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, South Carolina,
West Virginia, Seattle (Washington), and Madison (Wisconsin)

These states bar employers from retaliating against employees
for engaging in political activities. “Political activities” is broader
than just partisan or electoral activities, and courts interpreting
the California statute have so held. “[b][P]olitical activities,” the
California Supreme Court has stated, “cannot be narrowly
confined to partisan activity,” but instead cover any activities
involving the “espousal of a candidate or a cause,” including
participating in broad social movements such as the gay rights
movement.78 And a federal district court, following the California
Supreme Court decision, has likewise read “political activities” to
cover the holding of certain views on drug and alcohol policy.79[/b]

The key words there are cause, social movements, and the reference to drug and alcohol policy.

If those states, if someone was to create a memo about how they think drugs should be legalized and then included various studies supporting their claim, their workplace could not fire them for that memo or it's effects.

You can't have such a powerful legal protection only apply when it's on things you agree with. Disagreeing with something or it being unpopular isn't sufficient reason to ignore legal protections.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2017-08-17 14:48:40
Link | Quote | Reply

The specific court cases are

78. Gay Law Students ***’n. v. Pac. Tel. & Tel. Co., 595 P.2d 592, 610 (Cal. 1979).

79. Thompson v. Borg-Warner Protective Servs. Corp., No. C-94-4015 MHP, 1996 WL
162990, at *9 (N.D. Cal. Mar. 11, 1996).
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2017-08-17 14:51:56
Link | Quote | Reply

And before Zero pulls a dirty trick and attempts to say "BUT NOT AT THE WORK PLACE!"

The guy in question wasn't holding a rally or protesting or any other disruptive activity. He posted a memo, that he created on his own non-work time, on a company provided forum specifically for such things.

If a company has a suggestion box and you drop a letter with a unpopular opinion into that box, the company can't fire you for it in California. What this guy did was the modern version of leaving a letter in a suggestion box.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2017-08-17 14:54:02
Link | Quote | Reply

There are those oh so kind and benevolent descriptors again.

The right failed by focusing on "core conservatives" which were just the socially conservative super religious folks and warhawks while ignoring the younger generation of fiscal conservatives who couldn't give a damn about what people do in their bedrooms. Ever since Bush Jr the right has been nothing but "I pray to Jesus to know which breakfast I should eat" and "we need to bomb those heathens".

The left failed by focusing on social change and social justice via enforcement of fascist authoritarian censorship policies. Any dissenting voice is quelled by the mass social bullying coupled with disruption of life and even removal from employment or expulsion from a university. "Don't disagree with us or else" isn't a very endearing thing to do. While doing so the left completely ignored it's traditional worker focused platform, it paid mere lip service to workers while pushing for more power for itself.

Wouldn't you agree that people who want to pass the laws regarding what you can and can't do in your bedroom are the fascist authoritarians?

What you described as the culture of the left ironically enough is how the left also perceives the culture of the right.

Sadly I was hoping you would have enlightened us all with something more substantial. Like the dangerous results of horse race politics where we no longer have discourse about social policy; or how to elevate ourselves as a society with no great goal. Instead we keep points on policy that won't actually affect the common person.

You know something like that.

Post deleted by User.
By Nausi 2017-08-17 14:59:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Slore said: »
is it wrong?
It certainly isnt approved "groupthink".
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2017-08-17 15:00:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Wouldn't you agree that people who want to pass the laws regarding what you can and can't do in your bedroom are the fascist authoritarians?

What you described as the culture of the left ironically enough is how the left also perceives the culture of the right.

Don't you get it yet, alt-right / alt-left is just two different sides of the same damn coin. They are both authoritarian fascists. Just because someone doesn't support your political religion doesn't mean they automatically support your religions enemy.

Sadly I was hoping you would have enlightened us all with something more substantial.

You are incapable of understanding anything deeper or more rational then the latest TYT, Slate or Vanityfair article.

Post deleted by User.
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2017-08-17 15:28:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't you get it yet, alt-right / alt-left is just two different sides of the same damn coin. They are both authoritarian fascists. Just because someone doesn't support your political religion doesn't mean they automatically support your religions enemy.

We're talking about corporatism now aren't we, maybe we should forsake the left/right descriptors?

You are incapable of understanding anything deeper or more rational then the latest TYT, Slate or Vanityfair article.

I'm not familiar with TYT. Don't read Slate. I've always viewed Vamity Fair as something my mother reads and have never had a personal interest.

Are you capable of closing a post without making an insult towards the person who is opposing you?
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2017-08-17 15:36:06
Link | Quote | Reply

78. Gay Law Students ***’n. v. Pac. Tel. & Tel. Co., 595 P.2d 592, 610 (Cal. 1979).

78. http://scholarship.law.berkeley.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2272&context=californialawreview

79. http://www.siop.org/tip/backissues/tipoct98/16toner.aspx

These are the cases in question?
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2017-08-17 15:37:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I ask because I don't think Borg-Warner applies.
 Shiva.Shruiken
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Shruiken 2017-08-17 15:42:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Next-Level Gaming: The New ‘Call Of Duty’ Will Penalize Players For Shooting Nazis Who Are Actually Very Fine People

Clickhole said:
We thought we couldn’t be any more excited for Call Of Duty: WWII. Oh, how wrong we were!

Details are still trickling out about the upcoming installment in the Call Of Duty franchise, but some new info shows just how committed Activision is to giving players a truly next-level gaming experience. Today we learned that this new entry won’t just offer gamers pulse-pounding combat in a historically accurate World War II setting; it will go even further by penalizing players for shooting Nazis who are actually very fine people!

Um, can we play this game now, please?

The new “Nazi Sense” mechanic adds a whole new gameplay dimension on top of Call Of Duty: WWII’s already intense firefights. Instead of just blasting away at every enemy soldier, players will have to consider whether each individual Nazi might be an otherwise decent person who just happens to be fighting alongside some real bad apples. Shoot a Nazi who’s actually a pillar of his community and is proud of his heritage and you’ll take a blow to your health or ammo. Shoot too many decent, hardworking Nazis, and you’ll have to start over from the last checkpoint.

For hardcore Call Of Duty fans and newbies alike, this development will definitely make playing through battles like the Normandy invasion and the Battle of the Bulge even more exciting than before. With their identical uniforms, similar shouted slogans, and almost indistinguishable behavior, gamers will have to push their skills to the limit to pick out the regular-Joe Nazis from the actually evil Nazis they’re supposed to shoot. But for true completists, it will be worth it when they unlock the “Just War” achievement for beating the game without shooting a single Nazi who, in fact, doesn’t agree on absolutely everything with his comrades!

Nazi Sense brings new strategic elements to the mix, too. When Nazis who are shooting at you because they’re driven by hateful, anti-Semitic ideology are standing side by side with Nazis who are shooting at you because they’re upstanding citizens who just want to return Germany to its former glory, you might have to think twice before tossing that grenade. Clearly, this is the shot in the arm that the Call Of Duty franchise needed!

Call Of Duty: WWII doesn’t come out until November, but if this is the kind of innovation that Activision’s bringing to the table, it can’t come soon enough.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2017-08-17 16:17:29
Link | Quote | Reply

78. http://scholarship.law.berkeley.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2272&context=californialawreview

79. http://www.siop.org/tip/backissues/tipoct98/16toner.aspx

These are the cases in question?

79 is behind a paywall, 78 is the correct reference but it's a long *** read which you haven't done.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2017-08-17 16:18:48
Link | Quote | Reply

We're talking about corporatism now aren't we,

Nope, that's something the left made up to attack the right and promote communist ideology without calling it communism.

You don't even read what I write, just skim over to look for a way to attack.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2017-08-17 16:44:45
Link | Quote | Reply

The
79 is behind a paywall, 78 is the correct reference but it's a long *** read which you haven't done.

Hmmm are you presuming the speed of which I can read? Would it surprise you that I'm already familiar with case?

We're talking about corporatism now aren't we,

Nope, that's something the left made up to attack the right and promote communist ideology without calling it communism.

You don't even read what I write, just skim over to look for a way to attack.

Hmmmm interesting. The following was you right?

My suggestion to everyone is to not get personal, especially if the other guy is just trying to draw you into an emotional fight of who's a bigger victim.

Are you capable of closing a post without making an insult towards the person who is opposing you?

I take it from your last 2 responses the answer is No.
 Phoenix.Amandarius
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2017-08-17 16:47:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Candlejack said: »
Garuda.Chanti said: »
The GOP still holds congress.
If they fail to rein in and tame Trump, they won't hold congress much longer. People are getting sick of his Putin ***-cucking party and his support of the remnants of a terrorist regime based out of Germany that we all but absolutely destroyed in a World War back in 1942-1945. Heck, even the Germans ran the Nazis out. You can be arrested and jailed in Germany for at least six months for displaying a Nazi flag or doing the Nazi salute in public.

Apparently openly homophobic posts don't get people topic banned but posting a link to a thread on this forum will.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2017-08-17 16:58:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I take it from your last 2 responses the answer is No.

I'm belittling you because your trying to do to me the same thing you, CJ and Vic do to KN, which is to draw me into a mud slinging contest via deflection and strawmaning my statements. Instead of getting angry and emotional I will just point and laugh at the court jester.

Now dance for us all.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2017-08-17 17:02:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Amandarius said: »
Candlejack said: »
Garuda.Chanti said: »
The GOP still holds congress.
If they fail to rein in and tame Trump, they won't hold congress much longer. People are getting sick of his Putin ***-cucking party and his support of the remnants of a terrorist regime based out of Germany that we all but absolutely destroyed in a World War back in 1942-1945. Heck, even the Germans ran the Nazis out. You can be arrested and jailed in Germany for at least six months for displaying a Nazi flag or doing the Nazi salute in public.

Apparently openly homophobic posts don't get people topic banned but posting a link to a thread on this forum will.

They are pretty much immune and they know it, if they get out of hand then the topic will just get locked instead. Their goal is to goad people into attacking them so they can report spam you and get Rooks to topic ban. The hope is that if they get enough people banned they can push dissenting political views out of this virtual space and thus win territory in their religious crusade. It's how they virtue signal to each other.

So protect yourself by not calling names or direct personal insults. Snide barely veiled insinuations are perfectly fine though.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2017-08-17 17:04:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Or don't openly provoke the site administrator for the hundredth time. It's not hard really.
[+]
 Phoenix.Amandarius
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2017-08-17 17:05:53
Link | Quote | Reply

That's what she said. Or he.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2017-08-17 17:10:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Correction since there is no edit button. By Rooks I mean anyone on the Mod team who routinely patrols here.
[+]
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2017-08-17 17:38:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Topic bans aren't actually handed out all that often, nor are actual bans to anyone who could be considered a "regular".

I'm not sure what you're whining about, I assume you needed a break from delusional claims of whatever you are usually peddling.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2017-08-17 18:34:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Can't make this carp up department:

“You can’t just lie on TV.” Two news anchors nail Trump campaign official live on air
Quote:
An official with Donald Trump's re-election campaign appeared on MSNBC and immediately begin lying about Trump's economic record. The two anchors, who have decades of financial reporting experience, immediately eviscerated his argument.
Shareblue Media (I think this might lean left)
TLDR: They can and do but not this dweeb to this pair.
First Page 2 3 4 ... 50 51 52