Forum » FFXI » General » Gearswap vs. Ashitacast
Gearswap vs. Ashitacast
 Fenrir.Kaldaek
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
By Fenrir.Kaldaek 2017-02-17 11:41:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Hello all:

I would Like to preface this with very little exposure to Ashitacast. But I notice lately more people talking about it.

Is it possible to get a high level comparison between Gearswap and Ashitacast please?

Example = are the same logical functions available for like weather/death toggle/accuracy level toggle/TH tag etc...

I can't seem to locate an XML repository besides the "logical" one on the Ashita forums. Perhaps it doesn't exist?

My goal is assuming there are a lot of other people wondering the same as me; and maybe we can gain some traction here?
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2017-02-17 11:51:58
Link | Quote | Reply

ashitacast is much simpler and uses a config xml instead of a lua script

you can accomplish pretty much anything you want in terms of gear swaps including any kind of toggle using ashitacast, though premade files are less readily available

you cannot do some of the fancy timer stuff or onscreen display that gearswap does using ashitacast

you can use instacast gear and still get your midcast in with ashitacast

if you fully understand lua and are only looking at ashitacast vs gearswap with no concern for other plugins, i would lean toward gearswap

if you struggle with lua and want something you're going to be able to understand and customize yourself, ashitacast might be easier for you to pick up(the size of a simple file is an order of magnitude smaller and you only need the parts you're actually using)

-ashitacast author
[+]
 Fenrir.Kaldaek
By Fenrir.Kaldaek 2017-02-17 11:55:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for the quick response. I don't tend to use any windower addons besides gearswap...

Gearswap just seems easier because people have published LUAs and copy paste seems to be the goto.

Does anyone in the community that uses XML care to share a file? Would be cool to see the potential.

Thanks for the fast response btw!
 Odin.Speedyjim
Server: Odin
user: speedyjim
By Odin.Speedyjim 2017-02-17 12:03:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Kaldaek said: »
I don't tend to use any windower addons besides gearswap...

"..." indeed. smh
 Fenrir.Kaldaek
By Fenrir.Kaldaek 2017-02-17 12:06:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for the info Leviathan.Comeatmebro.

Ill do some research. Forum post is dead already ^^ the trolls have found us.

Just tried to spark interest in Ashitacast. I know a few LS mates have been talking about it.
 Leviathan.Brotherhood
user: bluecop81
By Leviathan.Brotherhood 2017-02-17 14:21:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Kaldaek said: »
Thanks for the info Leviathan.Comeatmebro.

Ill do some research. Forum post is dead already ^^ the trolls have found us.

Just tried to spark interest in Ashitacast. I know a few LS mates have been talking about it.

Assume you can always direct a PM to him, has always been helpful if you are respectful
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
Server: Bismarck
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2017-02-17 14:51:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Unless something has changed, Gearswap allows you to use InstantCast gear and still get midcast gear on, that's not an AshitaCast exclusive.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2017-02-17 14:52:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Snprphnx said: »
Unless something has changed, Gearswap allows you to use InstantCast gear and still get midcast gear on.

Quite a few recent posts have been acting like this isn't the case(no idea why). I would assume you still can with gearswap.

I pointed it out so it would be known the speed was analogous to gearswap, not to spellcast. Didn't specify about gearswap because was not 100% sure.
 Bismarck.Phaded
Server: Bismarck
user: Phaded
By Bismarck.Phaded 2017-02-17 16:11:11
Link | Quote | Reply

More than likely its logic error from someone not familiar with the more advanced gearswap luas. Can't put it better than this:

Asura.Saevel said: »
GS does provide a greater level of automation, but it's also extremely easy to *** up, especially with everyone "sharing" files with each other without knowing how the original programmer designed it.

Last few posts I had seen were related to Death precast sets lowering MP; didn't keep up with that thread if something else came up. The general player base just wants something that will put on basic gear during pre/mid/aftercast (as much as it makes the rest of us cringe) without having to put much thought into it. In these kinds of cases GS can be overwhelming to someone new to it.
 Fenrir.Kaldaek
By Fenrir.Kaldaek 2017-02-17 17:19:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for all the responses. Hoping the Ashita people come out of the woodwork and start gracing us with their thoughts.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2017-02-17 19:12:09
Link | Quote | Reply

When you download ashitacast through the launcher, some sample XMLs are provided at Ashita/Docs/Ashitacast/Sample XMLs/. The full function documentation is in Ashita/Docs/Ashitacast.
[+]
 Odin.Cnile
Server: Odin
user: cnile
By Odin.Cnile 2017-02-27 17:12:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Renkai said: »
I agree. I'd like to go Ashita full time. I just like it better for some reason. I'd love to get my hands on some premade XML's I can hack at lol.

Yes, most jobs have pre-made xml that come with ashita
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [379 days between previous and next post]
By Justuas 2018-03-13 11:19:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I wouldn't use Ashitacast since the author seems to have a shady business in FFXI.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2018-03-13 11:22:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Year necrobump because you're salty that I sell gil? Ashitacast has nothing to do with that, nor does any other plugin of mine on Ashita. Grow up.
By zaxtiss 2018-03-13 11:23:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
Year necrobump because you're salty that I sell gil? Ashitacast has nothing to do with that, nor does any other plugin of mine on Ashita. Grow up.
you wrote it ? right on i didnt know that.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2018-03-13 11:30:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Yea, I'm Thorny/Lolwutt/w.e. Atomos has full source to all of my plugins to verify there's nothing malicious in them. I also make no money off Ashita and have no incentive to get you to use it, that comment was just completely out of line.
By zaxtiss 2018-03-13 11:47:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
Yea, I'm Thorny/Lolwutt/w.e. Atomos has full source to all of my plugins to verify there's nothing malicious in them. I also make no money off Ashita and have no incentive to get you to use it, that comment was just completely out of line.
well sadly here on these forms many people tend to be out of line / rude. any way i thought cool to know who wrote / built it.
By geigei 2018-03-13 12:14:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Since this was bumped (for no reason), anyone have a haste check for ashitacast?
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2018-03-13 12:29:42
Link | Quote | Reply

haste check is pretty vague

<if buffactive="33"> <--haste active-->

<if buffactive="580"> <!--indi-haste/geo-haste active-->

<if buffactive="Marchx2"> <!--double march active-->

<if buffactive="March"> <!-- at least one march active-->

<setvar name="Haste" value="0" />
<if buffactive="33"><incvar name="Haste" value="15" /></if>
<if buffactive="580"><incvar name="Haste" value="30" /></if>
<if buffactive="Marchx2"><incvar name="Haste" value="43" /></if>
<elseif buffactive="March"><incvar name="Haste" value="25" /></elseif>
<if advanced="$Haste>42"> <!--check if total haste is at least 43-->

Like basic gearswaps, you can't easily differentiate haste1/haste2 or tell how much the march is worth, but you should be able to get what you want using something like that
By geigei 2018-03-13 12:33:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I have this made which work:

<if buffactive="604|214">
<equip set="haste15-$set" />
</if>

This however wont (multiple checks):

<elseif buffactive="33&604|33&214|33&580|33&228|214&214|580&604|580&214|580&228|604&228|228&214">
<equip set="haste45-$set" />
</elseif>
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2018-03-13 12:52:42
Link | Quote | Reply

and i just told you how to make it work, that ridiculously long string is ambiguous and can't be properly resolved.. no way to know whether to prioritize | or &

if you really want to do it like that(you shouldn't, it's *** backwards compared to adding up haste numbers):

<elseif mode="OR" buffactive="33&604" buffactive="33&214" buffactive="33&580" buffactive="33&228" buffactive="214x2" buffactive="580&604" buffactive="580&214" buffactive="580&228" buffactive="604&228" buffactive="228&214">
<equip set="haste45-$set" />
</elseif>
 Asura.Inuyushi
Server: Asura
user: Inuyushi
By Asura.Inuyushi 2018-03-13 12:54:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Comeatmebro, how hard would it be to add the set_combine() function to Ashitacast? I would honestly switch if that was in there. I started to make a full switch to Ashitacast, but not having that one function made it a deal breaker for me.

If you were able to add that back in, I would switch in a heartbeat to Ashita.
By geigei 2018-03-13 13:01:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok i got it now, thx a lot.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2018-03-13 13:08:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Inuyushi said: »
Comeatmebro, how hard would it be to add the set_combine() function to Ashitacast? I would honestly switch if that was in there. I started to make a full switch to Ashitacast, but not having that one function made it a deal breaker for me.

If you were able to add that back in, I would switch in a heartbeat to Ashita.
Not sure what set_combine does, but I'm assuming you're just not understanding all functionality of ashitacast. You can specify override pieces in any equip tag, and within any single section multiple equip commands combine to make one set prior to it actually being equipped.

For example, to add a single piece to your set:

<if ad_name="Protectra V">
<equip set="Enhancing">
<feet>Piety Duckbills +1</feet>
</equip>
</if>

This will equip the enhancing set, but with feet overwritten by Piety Duckbills +1.

To overwrite one set with another:

<if ad_name="Cursna">
<equip set="Recast" />
<equip set="Cursna" />
</if>

This will equip the Cursna set, with the pieces from the recast set for any slot cursna set doesn't specify. The entire section is parsed before any equip packets are sent to the server, so it's just overwriting on a by-slot basis until it finishes parsing.

If that's not a suitable replacement for combine, explain the differences and I'll see if it's something I can integrate.
 Asura.Inuyushi
By Asura.Inuyushi 2018-03-13 14:22:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Could you do that in the sets also? I found this fix myself. It's by using the baseset line in the set tag. Still researching...
Code
<set name="EnfMagAccOnly" baseset="Enfeebling">
	<hands>Azimuth Gloves +1</hands>
</set>

It's sort of just a way to make sets faster, but that's the part I can work around.

But after looking back at everything again, what I don't see Ashitacast doing is having toggles. For example, in mote's gearswaps I hit F9 to toggle my OffenseMode from None, Normal, Some Accuracy, Accuracy, etc. For my mage jobs I have a ton of idle toggles. I understand that Ashitacast has variables, but figured that was more for things like calculating haste values. How would I do toggles in Ashitacast?

Update: Looking more into the example XML's, I see that $Set is used as a way of toggling logic around. I just don't see how it's changed other than putting in /changeset. So I guess the function I would be looking for is a way to define binds in the XML so that I could <bind F9>/changeset</bind> or something along those lines. Also, another big thing that is a deal break almost is being to use an include file. I have a main lua that includes logic for all my jobs and all of my augmented gear. Is this something Ashitacast can also do?
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2018-03-13 14:29:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Code
<set name="EnfMagAccOnly" baseset="EnfeeblingMagic">
	<hands>Azimuth Gloves +1</hands>
</set>

You could use that to accomplish what you're trying to accomplish.

Toggles can be used via inputcommands or by directly setting variables. To bind cycling melee to f9, you'd want something like:
Code
	<sets>
		<set name="TP-None">
		</set>
		<set name="TP-Normal">
		</set>
		<set name="TP-SomeAcc">
		</set>
		<set name="TP-MidAcc">
		</set>
		<set name="TP-HighAcc">
		</set>
	</sets>

<variables>
		<var name="MeleeMode">Normal</var>
	</variables>

<init>
		<command>/bind F9 /togglemelee</command>
	</init>

<inputcommands>
		<cmd input="/togglemelee">
			<if advanced="$MeleeMode=None">
				<setvar name="MeleeMode" value="Normal" />
			</if>
			<elseif advanced="$MeleeMode=Normal">
				<setvar name="MeleeMode" value="SomeAcc" />
			</elseif>
			<elseif advanced="$MeleeMode=SomeAcc">
				<setvar name="MeleeMode" value="MidAcc" />
			</elseif>
			<elseif advanced="$MeleeMode=SomeAcc">
				<setvar name="MeleeMode" value="HighAcc" />
			</elseif>
			<else>
				<setvar name="MeleeMode" value="None" />
			</else>
			<addtochat color="57">Gear Toggle - Melee Mode $MeleeMode</addtochat>
		</cmd>
	</inputcommands>

<idlegear>
		<if p_status="engaged">
			<equip set="TP-$MeleeMode" />
		</if>
		<elseif p_status="idle"><equip set="Idle" /></elseif>
	</idlegear>

To do a quicker solution:
Code
	<sets>
		<set name="TP-None">
		</set>
		<set name="TP-Normal">
		</set>
		<set name="TP-SomeAcc">
		</set>
		<set name="TP-MidAcc">
		</set>
		<set name="TP-HighAcc">
		</set>
	</sets>

<variables>
		<var name="MeleeMode">Normal</var>
	</variables>

<idlegear>
		<if p_status="engaged">
			<equip set="TP-$MeleeMode" />
		</if>
		<elseif p_status="idle"><equip set="Idle" /></elseif>
	</idlegear>

and macro
/ac var set MeleeMode None
/ac var set MeleeMode Normal
/ac var set MeleeMode SomeAcc
/ac var set MeleeMode MidAcc
/ac var set MeleeMode HighAcc

Ashitacast does not and will not have include files. It's not meant to be as intricate as gearswap and if you're comfortable in Lua you're probably better off staying with gearswap. Note that anything besides actual equipment swapping belongs in an Ashita addon, which has a full fledged lua system.
 Asura.Inuyushi
By Asura.Inuyushi 2018-03-13 14:36:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Got it, thanks for the input! I just feel like Ashita is more clean than Windower at this point in time. However, I have heard rumors of and seen bits and pieces of Windower 5. Maybe when that comes out, it'll be up to the level that Ashita is right now.
[+]
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2018-03-13 14:42:36
Link | Quote | Reply

For loading augments, which would in fact be useful, I've just added the ability to use variables in your augment tags. Thus, you can do it like this:

Ashita/Scripts/Augment.txt
Code
/ac var set AdheB D20925277801407
/ac var set AdheA D20942457801664
/ac var set HercFeetFC S5497626167094710373

Gear XML:
Code
<hands augment="$AdheB">Adhemar Wrist. +1</hands>

<init>
<command>/exec Augment.txt</command>
</init>

Note that I literally -JUST- added this, you will need to reload and get 1.50 for it to work if you're reading this as it's posted.
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2018-03-13 14:53:26
Link | Quote | Reply

what i use for toggles is an individual macro command to change the variable. for example on pup i use /pet to change what mode my pet is in and /master for myself and as a regular in game macro i can use /pet or /master to toggle