users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Red Mage » Jack of All Trades: A Guide to Red Mage
Jack of All Trades: A Guide to Red Mage
First Page 2 3 ... 91 92 93 ... 141 142 143
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Hadroncollider 2019-12-30 16:44:53
Link | Quote | Reply

did anyone realize yet that enemys get simply Bound for a few minutes if you cast gravity II with max potency + Saboteur on them?

the Duration is also way longer than Saboteur recast.
 Asura.Outlawbruce
user: Cronnus
By Asura.Outlawbruce 2019-12-31 20:18:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Will Odr Earring replace Mache earring for CDC now? Or is that double attack still gonna take the cake?
By phunky 2019-12-31 20:31:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Outlawbruce said: »
Will Odr Earring replace Mache earring for CDC now? Or is that double attack still gonna take the cake?

Can't equip it on RDM unfortunately.
 Asura.Outlawbruce
By Asura.Outlawbruce 2019-12-31 20:34:58
Link | Quote | Reply

phunky said: »

Can't equip it on RDM unfortunately.

Lmao swore I saw that. Oh well. Answered that lol
By trinironnie 2019-12-31 21:15:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Snorta earring + New enfeebling earring new combo?
 Asura.Cicion
user: cicion
By Asura.Cicion 2019-12-31 22:04:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Vor earring/Snorta for frazzle/distract pot.
Drop Vor earring for Malignance or Regal Ear for every other enfeeble.
Snorta is ok but quite a low priority for me. Easy enough to keep Sab debuffs on when i need to fulltime. I'm not in dire straits for that 10% enfeeb duration over current options.
 Asura.Outlawbruce
By Asura.Outlawbruce 2020-01-03 09:03:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sechs said: »
Worst case scenario: I'll assume the +30 seconds from merits being applied as the very last thing. It's enough for the purpose of what I'm doing here.
And yeah I completely forgot about the neck, of course I have a +2.
Regardless, here are some updated calculations with my gear:

SP2 Sabo Silence = 421.8 seconds (7mins, 1.8seconds)
Sabo Silence = 263.7 seconds (4mins, 23.7seconds)
no-Sabo Silence = 222.5 seconds (3mins, 42.5seconds)

These durations look a bit longer than what I really get on Odin, but overall they could also be accurate, they feel close enough. My fights last ~12 mins and I normally apply 1x SP2 Sabo Silence + 2 or 3 no-sabo Silences, sooo... it's close enough I guess.

Sabo FrazIII / DistIII = 627.4 seconds (10mins, 27.4seconds)

We're pretty far from the values I get here, very very far. I think the base duration might be 180secs and not 300?

Sabo Paralyze II = 287.1 seconds (4mins, 47.1seconds)

It lasts longer than my Stymie Sabo Silence, so clearly there has to be an error somewhere, maybe the base duration is 180 and not 120?

Sabo Slow II = 400.5 seconds (6mins, 40.5seconds)

It lasts longer than that. I'm not sure how much, but longer. By the time I need to recast Fraz3/Dist3/ParaII I can never reapply Slow2 because the old one is still up.
I think the base duration is at least ~30 seconds longer than the previously mentioned spells, maybe more.

Edit @Chiaia
I don't think Odin has a specific "Reduced duration of debuffs", other than the generic reduced potency of Saboteur as all NMs.
If Odin has something it has to be about specific debuffs and not all.
Either that, or Frazzle/Distract base duration is not 5 mins, at least on NMs.
If you wanna try with me on Asura lemme know, I'm game. I do Odin almost every day, I solo on Normal tipically.
Managed to solo Difficult but takes way too much time for me to bother, at least with my current gear.

Feel like this discussion got lost pretty quickly.

Website won't let me make a item set to make it easier on the eyes. So, a sabo+stymie silence set looking like this?:

Empy+1 4/5 (35%)
Regal cuffs (Assuming better for NMs 20%)
Dls. Torque +2 (25%)
Kishar ring (10%)
Snotra Earring (10%)
 Cerberus.Hideka
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Hideka 2020-01-03 09:30:47
Link | Quote | Reply

So i've been getting decently deep into my redmage upgrade process. ive managed to knock out a considerable amount of gear on it.

How up to date are the casting elements of the gearsets on this guide these days? i'm trying to get a grasp of how close i am to getting rdm to the 'good' point, where i can stop worrying about gear, and just focus on JP Forever.

i'd make a item set, but they arent working on my end ATM. my nuking set is

• Amalric+1 Body/Hand/Legs/Feet

• Jhakri Head +2

• Freke Ring (i lucked out and got this on my first solo kill of odin II)

• Shiva's Ring +1

• Malignance earring/Frimosi Earring

• Standard MAB Succelos Cape

• Refocolation stone

• Sanctity necklace

I'm still seeing some issues with my nuking, and i cant really place what the issue is. I need a ton of work on my burst set (mostly because EA Gear costs a fortune), but generally my bursts only land for abotu 30-40k, and i see other mages easily hitting 70-90k with the same spells. Does a burst set make that huge of a difference?

on my enfeebling end- im generally doing ok for the most part. id ballpark my enfeebling in the 550ish range, and my enhancing in about the same range. I still need a LOT of work on my +2/3 sets, as gil is still my biggest obstacle to getting those pieces cleared out.
 Asura.Darkkaze
user: Darcc
By Asura.Darkkaze 2020-01-03 10:01:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Hideka said: »
So i've been getting decently deep into my redmage upgrade process. ive managed to knock out a considerable amount of gear on it.

How up to date are the casting elements of the gearsets on this guide these days? i'm trying to get a grasp of how close i am to getting rdm to the 'good' point, where i can stop worrying about gear, and just focus on JP Forever.

i'd make a item set, but they arent working on my end ATM. my nuking set is

• Amalric+1 Body/Hand/Legs/Feet

• Jhakri Head +2

• Freke Ring (i lucked out and got this on my first solo kill of odin II)

• Shiva's Ring +1

• Malignance earring/Frimosi Earring

• Standard MAB Succelos Cape

• Refocolation stone

• Sanctity necklace

I'm still seeing some issues with my nuking, and i cant really place what the issue is. I need a ton of work on my burst set (mostly because EA Gear costs a fortune), but generally my bursts only land for abotu 30-40k, and i see other mages easily hitting 70-90k with the same spells. Does a burst set make that huge of a difference?

on my enfeebling end- im generally doing ok for the most part. id ballpark my enfeebling in the 550ish range, and my enhancing in about the same range. I still need a LOT of work on my +2/3 sets, as gil is still my biggest obstacle to getting those pieces cleared out.

You answered your own question. The only piece of MBD gear you have that I can tell is Amalric+1 Hands. With no EA+1 or Mizu. Kubikazari or Mujin band you're missing MBD+39 and MBD2+34. I'm no expert but I'd wager that's a lot. My recommendation would be farm some Merlinic pieces and pray to the RNG gods for some good Magic Burst % augs until you can get the other pieces.
 Cerberus.Hideka
By Cerberus.Hideka 2020-01-03 10:14:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Darkkaze said: »
You answered your own question. The only piece of MBD gear you have that I can tell is Amalric+1 Hands. With no EA+1 or Mizu. Kubikazari or Mujin band you're missing MBD+39 and MBD2+34. I'm no expert but I'd wager that's a lot. My recommendation would be farm some Merlinic pieces and pray to the RNG gods for some good Magic Burst % augs until you can get the other pieces.

oh, for bursting to be specific i do have the Mizu and the Mujin band, currently i use a pair of merlinic with +10 Burst bonus/30MAB/30MACC augment, and Jhakri feet in my bursting sets. Does MAB Really provide that much less than burst bonus?

Edit: to be clear, im just trying to eliminate the possiblity that its gear not documented in this guide that is the culprit- or other jobs getting superior access to gear.
 Asura.Cicion
user: cicion
By Asura.Cicion 2020-01-03 10:29:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Ea hat +1,Ea body +1,Ea legs+1, Almaric hands+1,Jhakri Boots +2 Mizukage-no-Kubikazari neck, Mujin band gets you 40burst1, 35Burst2. I'm not sure if Ea feet+1 are worth it just as my friends don't recommend them and i dont own a pair. I personally have a really good auged Merlinin feet for my last 6Burst 1. Jhakri+2 boots are really good to for that slot as well.

Guide seems pretty up to date for the most part. Could use Orpheus's Sash if you wanna get all up close for the 15% nuking affinity if your not getting weather.

Day break and Ammurapi Shield are good nuking options as well.
I usually rdm/sch for alot. The times i did nuke for constant MBs or free nuking keeping mp up is pretty tough even with parsimony and dark arts. Even if said targets had mp aspir1 with a good set wasn't keeping up. In hindsight you could pop on a dagger and energy drain to. If your were to nuke alot with Raetic Staff+1 on and can only rely on convert and a 15tick refresh 3 and idle gears for mp your not gonna have a good time really. If they make some super good mage nuking grip along the lines of Utu grip i might bite the bullet and use a Raetic Staff +1.

The more Mab you have it starts to have diminishing returns. Magic Burst is straight % based boost.
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2020-01-03 10:31:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Hideka said: »
Asura.Darkkaze said: »

oh, for bursting to be specific i do have the Mizu and the Mujin band, currently i use a pair of merlinic with +10 Burst bonus/30MAB/30MACC augment, and Jhakri feet in my bursting sets. Does MAB Really provide that much less than burst bonus?

Its everything in proper amounts- there's no time to simply go "oh, I'm bursting, MAB/macc goes out the window and I only need Burst Bonus!"

For your free nukes on any higher end stuff, your macc in that set is gonna be pretty unforgiving. For stuff that's lower than say iLvl-125, you're probably gonna be find outside of nuking a "bad" element on said target (something they're strong to).

I found for a free nuke set on RDM you'll enjoy pieces like relic+3 feet more than jhakri or almaric+1 for free nuking. If not those, then a good pair of merlinic with good macc/mab augs. Same with legs- well augmented Merlinic legs have a lot more potential than almaric+1 legs...they just suffer from about 30 less macc than is possible with other options, and will probably only cost you the 10MAB from set bonus- its very easy to get something that matches the MAB actually on that piece with a lot better macc.

For a beginning burst set, pretty sure most testing still shows that in order of potential, it goes Ea+1>Merlinic with burst augs>NQ Ea. Almaric+1 hands are gonna be your best burst hands through almost any build, those won't go anywhere with great MBB2, MAB, INT, and Macc. With good augs (non Dark Matter), its quite easy to hit the "MBB1" cap with just the neck and 3 pieces of merlinic gear augmented...can even sneak in a Locus Ring or Static Ring if your augs don't hit that 40 right on (I would choose head/body/legs, keep Almaric+1 hands and use Relic+3 feet.)

That, combined with the +11 "MBB2" from Mujin Ring and Almaric hands+1 gives a very solid set while you slowly build up the Ea+1 gear (start with head. the differences between NQ and HQ head and body are the exact same, the price difference is about 8-12 mil based on server).
 Cerberus.Hideka
By Cerberus.Hideka 2020-01-03 11:32:15
Link | Quote | Reply

ok, thats ultimately what i was trying to get back to- that the gear sets were still relevant, and i just need some more polish on my MB set to bring it more in line. I'll probably invest in the EA hat/body, which will give me about 42/24 for burst I/II.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-01-03 12:49:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Cicion said: »
I'm not sure if Ea feet+1 are worth it just as my friends don't recommend them and i dont own a pair

They have remarkably low INT (+5) vs Jhakri +2's 33, with similar MAB and Macc. I wouldn't waste money on those either.
[+]
 Cerberus.Hideka
By Cerberus.Hideka 2020-01-03 13:01:05
Link | Quote | Reply

i figured the Jhakri feet were ok as a substitute. I figure my merlinic pants are a good stand in too. im only losing out on some burst II bonus.
By eeternal 2020-01-08 13:36:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry if this was posted, any volt gear worth of getting for RDM?
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2020-01-08 13:38:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Not really now that Malignance is around. Maybe situationally if you need the subtle blow.

Or snapshot

Edit: Jupon set probably for MEVA set I guess. And easy +TH
By eeternal 2020-01-08 14:36:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks, I guess volt 5/5 is good for dia tagging
By SimonSes 2020-01-08 15:12:29
Link | Quote | Reply

eeternal said: »

TH on non THF main caps at 4. Full Volte set has +6 TH, so doesnt make sense to wear 5/5.
[+]
By eeternal 2020-01-08 15:24:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I wasn't aware of that thought it was 5.. thank you for the insight
 Asura.Outlawbruce
By Asura.Outlawbruce 2020-01-08 16:26:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I honestly use 4/5 emyrean. Regal cuffs. Snotra, jse neck kishar for Dia. I want it to last for as long as possible. If you get a wipe and have to recover. That dia will cover plenty long enough to recover.
 Valefor.Gorns
Server: Valefor
user: Gorns
By Valefor.Gorns 2020-01-10 09:59:47
Link | Quote | Reply

After some re-works to optimize my enfeeb sets, I'm getting confused - once again - about some enfeebling gears sets.

- Frazzle 3: I always thought I should focus 1st on enfeebling skill to reach the 625skill cap before focusing on enfeebling effect or MND+ gears

- Stymie + Composure for enfeebling spells such as Silence: 5/5 Empy right ? (Relic+3 being only +15sec, it should be less than the +15% the 5th empy piece would give)

Correct ?
 Valefor.Yandaime
Server: Valefor
user: Yandaime
By Valefor.Yandaime 2020-01-10 10:12:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I honestly use 4/5 emyrean. Regal cuffs. Snotra, jse neck kishar for Dia. I want it to last for as long as possible. If you get a wipe and have to recover. That dia will cover plenty long enough to recover.

I think he means strictly for the purpose of applying TH so Dia I. Just to stick TH and then overlap with Dia III for full affect.
 Asura.Lunafreya
user: Lunafreya
By Asura.Lunafreya 2020-01-14 18:28:55
Link | Quote | Reply

For a fresh RDM starting out on solo CP, based on what I read in this thread a 3-4 step Light SC using combinations of CDC, Savage, and Empyreal Arrow is best right?

Scanned around for some Empyreal Arrow sets but didn’t find much. Just stack as much racc as possible so it actually lands?
By Nariont 2020-01-14 18:31:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Malignance set, get back to lilith luna
[+]
 Asura.Lunafreya
By Asura.Lunafreya 2020-01-14 18:31:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I’m 3/5 on the armor and have everything else so boo you nari! Just missing legs and hands...
By Nariont 2020-01-14 18:32:53
Link | Quote | Reply

thats still 2 very important pieces! But yeah, full malig's the go to for emp arrow, was aug'd taeon/volte prior. You just want it to land like you said
[+]
 Bismarck.Ringoko
Server: Bismarck
user: appleboy
By Bismarck.Ringoko 2020-01-14 18:38:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Nariont said: »
thats still 2 very important pieces! But yeah, full malig's the go to for emp arrow, was aug'd taeon/volte prior. You just want it to land like you said

If you have raetic bangles +1, they should offer a slight advantage over malignance.
By Nariont 2020-01-14 18:42:47
Link | Quote | Reply

fair, though i do value the extra STP on all the pieces, plus malig is "free" if you don't count sanity
 Asura.Lunafreya
By Asura.Lunafreya 2020-01-14 21:19:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I must be missing something obvious, I can't seem to 3 step, never mind 4 step, reliably due to slow TP gain.

Accuracy doesn't seem to be the issue.

Haste2, Temper, Marches from Joachim/Ulmia. DW11 in gear.

head="Malignance Chapeau",
body="Ayanmo Corazza +2",
hands={ name="Taeon Gloves", augments={'Accuracy+18 Attack+18','"Triple Atk."+2',}},
legs={ name="Carmine Cuisses +1", augments={'Accuracy+20','Attack+12','"Dual Wield"+6',}},
feet={ name="Carmine Greaves +1", augments={'Accuracy+12','DEX+12','MND+20',}},
neck="Anu Torque",
waist="Windbuffet Belt",
left_ear="Sherida Earring",
right_ear="Suppanomimi",
left_ring="Petrov Ring",
right_ring="Ilabrat Ring",
back={ name="Sucellos's Cape", augments={'DEX+20','Accuracy+20 Attack+20','"Dbl.Atk."+10',}},
First Page 2 3 ... 91 92 93 ... 141 142 143