$106 For A Silver Dog Tag? Really SE...

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » $106 for a silver dog tag? Really SE...
$106 for a silver dog tag? Really SE...
 Unicorn.Motokosun
Server: Unicorn
Game: FFXI
user: mattchew
By Unicorn.Motokosun 2009-09-10 07:45:13
Link | Quote | Reply

this is by far the dumbest thing ive ever seen SE do and i played FFXII.

A new low. Can't wait to see what they do to top this.
[+]
 Midgardsormr.Sahagin
Server: Midgardsormr
user: Sahagin
By Midgardsormr.Sahagin 2009-09-10 07:55:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeh, at £65, I lol'd. :S
I'd hate to see how much it costs with Postage and packaging. D:
 Lakshmi.Aaroca
Server: Lakshmi
user: Damii
By Lakshmi.Aaroca 2009-09-10 08:06:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Now not only can people play for 12+ hours a day, they can now tell people irl they do too~!
 Gilgamesh.Minusseven
Server: Gilgamesh
By Gilgamesh.Minusseven 2009-09-10 08:22:10
Link | Quote | Reply

£65! jeeeesus, have they ever heard of price elasticity
 Unicorn.Emirii
Server: Unicorn
user: Emerii1
By Unicorn.Emirii 2009-09-10 08:35:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok, I bought the talisman, because i like necklaces anyway and i thought it was pretty neat. This however is well... ridiculous. When i was still in public school we would sell fund raisers for band class with name engraving stuff on there. Things like that were 40$ MAX (that's with a 30% commission rate attached too), and you could engrave whatever name/picture you wanted on virtually anything (keychains, mugs, pens, etc.) So this is a prime example that SE is overpricing this. It doesn't cost this much to custom engrave anything in metal, unless your crazy.

However, to each his own. I hope who ever buys this enjoys it like I enjoy my talisman (in-game and out).
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-09-10 08:37:11
Link | Quote | Reply

kids wear those gay *** chokers, what makes you think they wouldnt wear dog tags?

***, I can get some acid, candle wax, and flat metal and make my own tags for like $10 lol
 Garuda.Feifongwong
Server: Garuda
By Garuda.Feifongwong 2009-09-10 09:02:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Motokosun said:

How is it a new low? It has nothing to do with the game!!

They're silver dog tags! You don't have to buy them, they are just advertising their merchandise!! They sell stuff for other FF games too... hell the Shadow Lord sculpture costs $299.99, everyone going to whine about that now?

Why is it that all this community seems to do is complain? I mean, the dog tags don't have anything to do with the game other than they have the FFXI Nation flags on them.
 Ramuh.Haseyo
Server: Ramuh
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2009-09-10 09:12:36
Link | Quote | Reply

It's only an issue if they add something like "ingame item - teleport anywhere!"

-.-;

As long as it has nothing to do with the actual game, then I couldn't give a rat's ***.
 Gilgamesh.Shayala
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Shayala
By Gilgamesh.Shayala 2009-09-10 09:13:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Feifongwong said:

They're silver dog tags! You don't have to buy them, they are just advertising their merchandise!! They sell stuff for other FF games too... hell the Shadow Lord sculpture costs $299.99, everyone going to whine about that now?

Why is it that all this community seems to do is complain? I mean, the dog tags don't have anything to do with the game other than they have the FFXI Nation flags on them.

We are complaining because of the price of the item,I have nothing against SE merchandising,they need to keep their prices realistic though...the $299.99 for the Shadow Lord sculpture was also way over the top!
[+]
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-09-10 09:17:00
Link | Quote | Reply

we're complaining because we like to complain. Yeah, who the *** pays 199 for dog tags?

NOT ME!

pfft!
[+]
 Ramuh.Haseyo
Server: Ramuh
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2009-09-10 09:17:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I got free dog tags at my freshmen orientation last year!
 Asura.Kiowa
Server: Asura
user: Kiowa
By Asura.Kiowa 2009-09-10 09:18:46
Link | Quote | Reply

bah who gives a crap there is no ingame item that comes with it so its junk lol
and its in se style is a bit pricey but thats how se rolls
they like bigmoney for little effort im sure thats why they havent shut down free trial
cause they must be getting kick back from gil sellers to continue to let them do what there doing
[+]
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-09-10 09:19:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Haseyo said:
I got free dog tags at my freshmen orientation last year!

BUT YOURS DON'T HAVE BASTOK INSIGNIAS ON IT!
 Garuda.Feifongwong
By Garuda.Feifongwong 2009-09-10 09:23:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Shayala said:
Feifongwong said:

We are complaining because of the price of the item,I have nothing against SE merchandising,they need to keep their prices realistic though...the $299.99 for the Shadow Lord sculpture was also way over the top!

Even if its "over the top" no one is forcing you to buy them...
 Phoenix.Baelorn
Server: Phoenix
user: Baelorn
By Phoenix.Baelorn 2009-09-10 09:24:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Eh it's in line with other Silver dog tags of the same size. You can see on the back that it is 92% Silver. Similar tags will cost $50-$70 before engraving and only allow for simple objects/shapes to be engraved on the front.

It's expensive but it isn't overpriced for the materials or quality of the piece. That said I won't be buying it :P.

EDIT: How many of you actually did research to see if this price was normal before crying "wahh SE is ripping us off!"?
[+]
 Midgardsormr.Sahagin
Server: Midgardsormr
user: Sahagin
By Midgardsormr.Sahagin 2009-09-10 09:31:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Inb4 'Comes with in-game dog tag that blocks all RMT /tells.' D:
 Seraph.Rinkai
Server: Seraph
user: Rin
By Seraph.Rinkai 2009-09-10 09:35:29
Link | Quote | Reply

The Tidal Talisman was poorly made with low quality materials. The ingame item wasn't much better with having to wait 40 rl hours between uses. The actual dog tag may be silver but that's probably as far as it goes, I wouldn't be suprised by a rash from the chain.
 Fairy.Evilaru
Server: Fairy
user: Evilaru
By Fairy.Evilaru 2009-09-10 09:43:43
Link | Quote | Reply

any news yet if they going to give out any items in game for getting this?
 Pandemonium.Eternaltriumph
Server: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Eternaltriumph 2009-09-10 09:44:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Feifongwong said:
Motokosun said:

Don't like discussion, welcome to leave bra. Also, the sculpture was $200, although I've seen em as low as about $125. Which isn't much more than the flimsy pieces of ***that is these dogtags. The sculpture was made of a higher grade bust material, these are small pieces of silver, that like Rinkai said, are really gonna cause rashes.

It might be a thread of "WTF"s, but the way the literate people see it is that SE is taking advantage of the sad little creatures addicted and will buy anything with a FFXI logo on it. And while they probably deserve it, the underlying tone of this thread is at least a few people bitching here will buy one.
 Phoenix.Baelorn
By Phoenix.Baelorn 2009-09-10 10:00:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Eternaltriumph said:
Which isn't much more than the flimsy pieces of ***that is these dogtags. The sculpture was made of a higher grade bust material, these are small pieces of silver, that like Rinkai said, are really gonna cause rashes.

Do you like ignoring facts or do you like looking stupid? It's not a discussion if you ignore everyone else's arguments. The dog tags are 92.5% silver. It is stamped right on the back. Flimsy? Nah. I also did some research and found that this price is normal for the amount of engraving involved.

If it's not worth $107 to you then just say so(like I did above) and stop spreading lies when you don't really know ***about the quality of the materials.
 Fairy.Pwrless
user: Pwrless
By Fairy.Pwrless 2009-09-10 10:07:37
Link | Quote | Reply

This reminds me of one Jerry Seinfeld's stand up comedy bid about buying food in the Airport "$14 for a tuna sandwich, we think is fair... Do they know the price of a tuna sandwich anywhere else in the world?"

If they sell these for £65 just like $14 for a tuna sandwich, I'm sure it make SE shareholders very happy, is just plain business. They capitalize on people's impulse buying, where they pay twice for something they don't need.
[+]
 Garuda.Feifongwong
By Garuda.Feifongwong 2009-09-10 10:08:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Eternaltriumph said:
Feifongwong said:
Motokosun said:

Don't like discussion, welcome to leave bra. Also, the sculpture was $200, although I've seen em as low as about $125. Which isn't much more than the flimsy pieces of ***that is these dogtags. The sculpture was made of a higher grade bust material, these are small pieces of silver, that like Rinkai said, are really gonna cause rashes.

It might be a thread of "WTF"s, but the way the literate people see it is that SE is taking advantage of the sad little creatures addicted and will buy anything with a FFXI logo on it. And while they probably deserve it, the underlying tone of this thread is at least a few people bitching here will buy one.

I'm just pointing out that no one has to buy them if they don't want too, so why whine and complain about it?
I'm just sick of seeing people bad mouth SE over the dumbest things.
 Fairy.Pwrlessgirl
user: Pwrless
By Fairy.Pwrlessgirl 2009-09-10 10:19:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Emirii said:
Ok, I bought the talisman, because i like necklaces anyway and i thought it was pretty neat. This however is well... ridiculous. When i was still in public school we would sell fund raisers for band class with name engraving stuff on there. Things like that were 40$ MAX (that's with a 30% commission rate attached too), and you could engrave whatever name/picture you wanted on virtually anything (keychains, mugs, pens, etc.) So this is a prime example that SE is overpricing this. It doesn't cost this much to custom engrave anything in metal, unless your crazy.

However, to each his own. I hope who ever buys this enjoys it like I enjoy my talisman (in-game and out).

Did you overpaid for that RDM hat? Are you wearing Clothcraft +1 glasses?
By Pandemonium.Eternaltriumph 2009-09-10 10:20:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Baelorn said:
Eternaltriumph said:
Which isn't much more than the flimsy pieces of ***that is these dogtags. The sculpture was made of a higher grade bust material, these are small pieces of silver, that like Rinkai said, are really gonna cause rashes.

Do you like ignoring facts or do you like looking stupid? It's not a discussion if you ignore everyone else's arguments. The dog tags are 92.5% silver. It is stamped right on the back. Flimsy? Nah. I also did some research and found that this price is normal for the amount of engraving involved.

If it's not worth $107 to you then just say so(like I did above) and stop spreading lies when you don't really know ***about the quality of the materials.

Uh. How's about that I worked with a smith. How do *I* look stupid? Research your ***all ya want, experience will always trump research. An almost solid sterling really isn't worth over $100. Even with an engraving. A machine does that ***, and it shouldn't add any more than about $5 bucks to it's worth, $7 if it's like...my name and server for it's length. The insignas on the front look decent, yeah. The maximum net worth of these, including price up profit, SEVERE profit, would not be any more than $82. Which means they're stiffing the ***out of people willing to buy them, and knocking out people considing it.

I look like a jackass huh. I'm sure I do.
[+]
By Pandemonium.Eternaltriumph 2009-09-10 10:21:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Pwrless said:
This reminds me of one Jerry Seinfeld's stand up comedy bid about buying food in the Airport "$14 for a tuna sandwich, we think is fair... Do they know the price of a tuna sandwich anywhere else in the world?"

If they sell these for £65 just like $14 for a tuna sandwich, I'm sure it make SE shareholders very happy, is just plain business. They capitalize on people's impulse buying, where they pay twice for something they don't need.

QFT, end thread for me.
 Alexander.Turin
Server: Alexander
By Alexander.Turin 2009-09-10 10:44:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Shayala said:
It is definitely made of silver..it has the SV925 mark on it which stands for sterling silver....92.5% silver,7.5% copper.

Still isn't worth the price though!

Close, but not quite. That mark stands for Sterling Silver with a 92.5% of pure silver and 7.5% of other metals. Copper is the industry standard but there are many other alloys available for that have various benefits.
 Fairy.Winterlight
By Fairy.Winterlight 2009-09-10 11:26:10
Link | Quote | Reply

So this thing rly doesn't do anything in-game?

I think I'd much rather getting dressed up as a WHM at PAX or Comicon...
 Phoenix.Baelorn
By Phoenix.Baelorn 2009-09-10 11:44:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Eternaltriumph said:
I look like a jackass huh. I'm sure I do.

You do because nowhere was I able to find comparable products for significantly less. Unless you can provide some magical website that allows complex engravings on the front and engravings on the back of a sterling silver dog tag of the same size for a much lower price?

These are not more significantly more expensive than alternative/similar products and until you can prove otherwise you're talking out of your ***.
 Phoenix.Darkovercast
By Phoenix.Darkovercast 2009-09-10 12:00:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Vincevalentine said:
Actually, I saw a RL marriage get ruined over this game. lol

lol, if you play long enough your bound to eather see one of your freinds hook up with someone in the game, or end there relationship because of the game, there fault, not the games XD
 Carbuncle.Okamiwolf
Server: Carbuncle
user: okamiwolf
By Carbuncle.Okamiwolf 2009-09-10 17:16:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Sahagin said:
Inb4 'Comes with in-game dog tag that blocks all RMT /tells.' D:

Oh dear god... if that were true... I'd buy one of them in a heart beat =X