Forum » FFXI » General » Encouragement for new players and gil-buying
Encouragement for new players and gil-buying
 Fairy.Pwrless
Server: Fairy
Game: FFXI
user: Pwrless
By Fairy.Pwrless 2009-09-11 14:14:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah the same dude! Is there Welfare still shouting obcenities in WG? and having a beef against Black/Redmagewonder?

My regards to Davricle /bow
 Valefor.Integral
Server: Valefor
user: Caliber
By Valefor.Integral 2009-09-11 15:45:46
Link | Quote | Reply

oh yes, welfare is always finding new ways to get himself blacklisted

mostly just spamming his ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWA nonrmt warpsticks for sale macro

Valefor has turned to a cesspool, endgame rejects from select servers have taken up residence here and turned it into a nonstop middleschool catfight
 Ifrit.Itazura
Server: Ifrit
user: Itazura
By Ifrit.Itazura 2009-09-17 20:55:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Jadi said:
RMT is where one player pays another to raise in game money for them.

You mean, where one person pay another to steal somebody's account and liquidate his equipment and convert CP, IS, etc. into in-game money.

Jadi said:
RMT does not equal Inflation. There is no difference at all in raising the money yourself or paying someone else to do it. If your going to add the same amount of money to the money supply either way, it doesn't matter if it's you or someone else.

The actual *true* reason for inflation was poor game design. Too much gil was created and added to the money supply by selling items to NPC's and through quests, either by players or by RMT. Too little gil was taken out. (Perhaps SE actually thought we would buy equipment from NPC's.. I don't know..)

Actually, it's not just the total money supply, but the type of money supplied also play a role. I think the idea is to compare the "monetary velocity", or how fast does the money circulate through the system, compared to supply of goods.

What RMT did was to make in-game money more readily accessible, which made it easier for the gilbuyers to bid more for items. The market digest the increases, and raises the "normal" price on those goods. Other buyers competing for the same goods then have pressure to raise the prices for what they sell in order to buy the stuff they want. That's the scenario for inflation.

Worse than that, it becomes easier for RMT farmers to get more gil, since their stuff would sell for more thanks to the inflation, and so the gilbuyers can get more in-game money for same RL money.

Positive feedback cycle; what became as small inflation snowballed to unbelievable price increases, all because RMT acted as an enabling agent (by lowering the 'cost' of gil) then became the mechanism to re-enforce the inflationary pressure.

Jadi said:
I had to learn a little about economics before I understood this.

Let me guess; you didn't get an A. (Don't worry, I didn't even take an econ class--I just read newspapers.)
[+]
 Cerberus.Amanada
Server: Cerberus
user: Amanada
By Cerberus.Amanada 2009-09-18 07:32:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Inflation is increase money in circulation. So if more money is readily available and is spent, it causes inflation.

About people spend gil stupidly: People always do that in -- in RL. But spending money stupidly in RL has a consequence -- you go broke. In the game, people can simply buy more gil.

Anyway, I have some minor problem with someone who think a player is only good with Salvage body, and some other competitive and hard to get gear. Given, good gear does improve your character, but good gear is an on going process. Demanding to have some crazy gear to proof one is good is not only factually wrong, and it also encourage gil buying, unnecessary self-imposed addiction and grind in this game.

Just go out to have fun. Yes, better gear is indeed useful, but know the limit, and know that in the end your fun is utmost concern. Think for yourself what you need.

Quote:
You mean, where one person pay another to steal somebody's account and liquidate his equipment and convert CP, IS, etc. into in-game money.

Stealing account to make gil is destroying the game. The folks who sell gil does not care of course. Anyone's instant gratification is nothing more destroying the game.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [39 days between previous and next post]
 Caitsith.Jadi
Server: Caitsith
user: Jadi
By Caitsith.Jadi 2009-10-27 12:52:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Itazura said:
Jadi said:
RMT is where one player pays another to raise in game money for them.

No, umm.. yeah.. that's called hacking or as you described best stealing.

This is not difficult to understand, stealing is wrong. Declaring all RMT's as thieves makes it very easy to condemn them, but are they really to blame? Does the gil end up in RMT inventories? Possibly, but they also buy gil legitimately too. Is the thief wrong or is the pawn shop owner he sells his goods to? It's simple, stealing is wrong, it is the root offense, it is a true crime upon another.

I did the math once. One hacker only needs to get one decent account liquidated in order to generate around $200 cash from the sale to RMT. How many account do you think *you* could get in a week if you worked at it every day? Could you get 5? What about 10? .... that's a pretty good living don't you think?

I'm also a computer network engineer and I've taken an interest into this, guess what I found? The hacking is being done from the US (Texas).. not from China. At least in the case I looked into..

Ifrit.Itazura said:
Jadi said:
RMT does not equal Inflation. There is no difference at all in raising the money yourself or paying someone else to do it. If your going to add the same amount of money to the money supply either way, it doesn't matter if it's you or someone else.

The actual *true* reason for inflation was poor game design. Too much gil was created and added to the money supply by selling items to NPC's and through quests, either by players or by RMT. Too little gil was taken out. (Perhaps SE actually thought we would buy equipment from NPC's.. I don't know..)

Actually, it's not just the total money supply, but the type of money supplied also play a role. I think the idea is to compare the "monetary velocity", or how fast does the money circulate through the system, compared to supply of goods.

What RMT did was to make in-game money more readily accessible, which made it easier for the gilbuyers to bid more for items. The market digest the increases, and raises the "normal" price on those goods. Other buyers competing for the same goods then have pressure to raise the prices for what they sell in order to buy the stuff they want. That's the scenario for inflation.

Worse than that, it becomes easier for RMT farmers to get more gil, since their stuff would sell for more thanks to the inflation, and so the gilbuyers can get more in-game money for same RL money.

Positive feedback cycle; what became as small inflation snowballed to unbelievable price increases, all because RMT acted as an enabling agent (by lowering the 'cost' of gil) then became the mechanism to re-enforce the inflationary pressure.

That's a pretty ridiculously long and idiotic train of events springing from the illogical idea that RMT can make more gil than players can. Have you ever seen a RMT alliance before? No, players are far more powerful and organized than RMT. They may choose to spend time doing other things and not be as dedicated but everyone had to spend some form of time getting that gil in the first place, and that time represents it's value.

And remember, it's not as if players were entirely removed from all this as well. Did you also NOT sell at inflated prices? Sure you did, who wouldn't?

Lastly we know your wrong because RMT is still occurring. If you were right and it were not an expansion of the money supply as I say, but instead monetary velocity, and monetary accessibility as you claim, than how do you explain why it is no longer occurring? You can still go buy millions and millions of gil today.. and I'm sure many people do continue to buy gil otherwise we wouldn't see the spam. (You can thank SE's free trial for the spam.) It almost looks like there is MORE RMT going on now than there ever was before.. because the RMT's today appear to be competing and constantly lowering their own prices. I get tells all the time and the prices continue to drop. How do you account for this? Why is it not *still* spiraling out of control headed for doom as in "I just can't do it Cap'n! I don't have the power!" as you describe with your so called "positive feedback cycle"? The answer is easy.. because thats all bunk man.

(BTW Just like spam e-mail.. Never ever respond to a RMT spam tell. They will know you are a live player and that you got the message if you do so. Likely you will be added to a preferred spam list if you respond.)

My solution is a simple one, and it accurately fits both the problem and the correction.. the reason inflation is no longer happening today is because SE removed so much money from supply. Big supply, means large price tags for items, small supply mean small price tags.. it's very simple.

Ifrit.Itazura said:
Jadi said:
I had to learn a little about economics before I understood this.

Let me guess; you didn't get an A. (Don't worry, I didn't even take an econ class--I just read newspapers.)

Trust me, I could tell! :) Maybe you should try reading something a little more involved than a newspaper..

"There is only one difference between a bad economist and a good one: The bad economist confines himself to the visible effect; the good economist takes into account both the effect that can be seen and those effects that must be foreseen."
-- Frédéric Bastiat