Augment Items To Prevent Hackers Stealing Them?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Augment Items to prevent hackers stealing them?
Augment Items to prevent hackers stealing them?
First Page 2
 Pandemonium.Treppe
Server: Pandemonium
Game: FFXI
user: Treppe
By Pandemonium.Treppe 2009-08-25 11:34:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Should you augment some of your important items that can be augmented to prevent hackers from tacking them?
 Titan.Guenhwyvar
Server: Titan
By Titan.Guenhwyvar 2009-08-25 11:36:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Buy a token, its win all around.

Augmenting can potentially *** up everything you own.
[+]
 Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra
Server: Midgardsormr
user: Sect
By Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra 2009-08-25 11:37:34
Link | Quote | Reply

They're hacking through tokens now, so can't do that.

But augmenting, if you are patient enough, is a pretty spiffy idea.
[+]
 Pandemonium.Treppe
By Pandemonium.Treppe 2009-08-25 11:40:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Sectumsempra said:
They're hacking through tokens now, so can't do that.

But augmenting, if you are patient enough, is a pretty spiffy idea.

yeah Ive heard of a lot of mysterious Hacks through tokens as well @_@. The whole things sucks to be honest. Its like you cant win.
 Alexander.Zayo
Server: Alexander
user: Zayo
By Alexander.Zayo 2009-08-25 11:42:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Really now... you're getting carried away. Aug them if it makes you feel safer, but really...

Also, I've not heard one story of a LIGIT 360 player getting hacked. If you're on 360 and you get hacked its because you gave your info to a fake site, purchased gil, purchased a character, or paid for some leveling services. {Fact}

If you're a cheater though... go augment everything you own now quick do it !!!!!lol11!!1one!!1!1!!!
 Pandemonium.Treppe
By Pandemonium.Treppe 2009-08-25 11:51:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Zayo said:
Really now... you're getting carried away. Aug them if it makes you feel safer, but really...

Also, I've not heard one story of a LIGIT 360 player getting hacked. If you're on 360 and you get hacked its because you gave your info to a fake site, purchased gil, purchased a character, or paid for some leveling services. {Fact}

If you're a cheater though... go augment everything you own now quick do it !!!!!lol11!!1one!!1!1!!!

LOL yeah the idea just came to me when i see people augmenting very expensive items like hagun and such, and everyone saying they have huge balls for doing so. I though maybe in their head they were covering their own *** maybe and was like what do i really have to lose.
 Carbuncle.Deadlymidget
Server: Carbuncle
user:
By Carbuncle.Deadlymidget 2009-08-25 12:59:37
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

lol this made me laugh. I have heard of stories of where hackers would drop everything you have so why does it matter if its aug or not? Just gives them less gil. Just my thought
 Valefor.Lilbusta
Server: Valefor
user:
By Valefor.Lilbusta 2009-08-25 13:00:54

Best thing to do is not have Uber gear and run around with crap so you're not advertising.
 Alexander.Meeeeeep
user: Meeeeeep
By Alexander.Meeeeeep 2009-08-25 13:06:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Lilbusta said:
Best thing to do is not have Uber gear and run around with crap so you're not advertising.

Because RMTs obviously target people with awesome gear, and don't just go for whoever they can bait.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Deadlymidget
Server: Carbuncle
user:
By Carbuncle.Deadlymidget 2009-08-25 13:07:18

Meeeeeep said:
Lilbusta said:

Because RMTs obviously target people with awesome gear, and don't just go for whoever they can bait.

Good thing someone isnt blind
 Ramuh.Thunderz
Server: Ramuh
user: Thunderz
By Ramuh.Thunderz 2009-08-25 13:18:28
Link | Quote | Reply

lol augments can wreck your gear lol

I remember seeing a haub with str/dex -5 XD

but anyways the guy will just drop your augmented gear and if you got lucky and got some awesome augment on something he will just toss it and you wont get the augment back
 Pandemonium.Treppe
By Pandemonium.Treppe 2009-08-25 13:29:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Thunderz said:
lol augments can wreck your gear lol

I remember seeing a haub with str/dex -5 XD

but anyways the guy will just drop your augmented gear and if you got lucky and got some awesome augment on something he will just toss it and you wont get the augment back

Well thats just mean, at least he could be a nice thief -_-. I didnt know they droped the rest of your stuff just for the hell of it.
 Valefor.Lilbusta
user:
By Valefor.Lilbusta 2009-08-25 13:32:38

Deadlymidget said:
Meeeeeep said:
Lilbusta said:

Good thing someone isnt blind

How else can you explain how they're targeting accounts? If it happens to many others than it should've happened to me by now at least.
 Kujata.Houshisama
Server: Kujata
By Kujata.Houshisama 2009-08-25 13:33:31
Link | Quote | Reply

no one has ever gotten hacked that didnt fall for an info bait, keylogger by being somewhere stupid on the internet, or has *** friends, or a big mouth. *** THAT. YOU ARENT INNOCENT VICTIMS ***
[+]
 Alexander.Meeeeeep
user: Meeeeeep
By Alexander.Meeeeeep 2009-08-25 13:42:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Houshisama said:
no one has ever gotten hacked that didnt fall for an info bait, keylogger by being somewhere stupid on the internet, or has *** friends, or a big mouth. *** THAT. YOU ARENT INNOCENT VICTIMS ***

I guess the people who got hacked via the embedded iScript in ffxiatlas.com last year aren't innocent then.
[+]
 Pandemonium.Treppe
By Pandemonium.Treppe 2009-08-25 13:46:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I only go to ffxiah, wiki and occasionally playonine.com to read about ffxi. ive logged into linkshell community website too but i try not to if i dont have to. and i never browse the internet for ffxi stuff on the same laptop I play ffxi on. anything i got to look up is on my desktop where i never log in to ffxi with. maybe im over thinking the keyloger thing but i like to be careful.
 Valefor.Lilbusta
user:
By Valefor.Lilbusta 2009-08-25 13:54:34

Doesn't it just boil down to using same login and pw for every site you use, social engineering traps and very simple things we all overlook? I don't see people just sitting all day trying to "Hack" accounts by retrying passwords.
 Pandemonium.Treppe
By Pandemonium.Treppe 2009-08-25 13:57:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Lilbusta said:
Doesn't it just boil down to using same login and pw for every site you use, social engineering traps and very simple things we all overlook? I don't see people just sitting all day trying to "Hack" accounts by retrying passwords.

ahhh really true , its good to always switch it up.
 Fairy.Lethewaters
Server: Fairy
By Fairy.Lethewaters 2009-08-25 14:10:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Treppe said:
Well thats just mean, at least he could be a nice thief -_-. I didnt know they droped the rest of your stuff just for the hell of it.

Never heard of a nice Thief.

As for innocence on the scripts, a good portion of the ones I know, weren't even running an anti-virus. If you're going online at least have one antivrus scanner. Otherwise you are asking to get a virus or hack with all the sites.

Even with the new security patches IE still sux. Too many exploits. Try using a browser that isn't as popular.
 Valefor.Lilbusta
user:
By Valefor.Lilbusta 2009-08-25 14:10:23

Now I'm not gonna argue the use of the word "Hack", but that only explains one thing that doesn't happen too often anymore.
Most crap is done by social engineering and that's is more of the person's fault. Scripts from advertising is the person's fault, but liability belongs to the website.
You can't put 100% trust into the internet.
 Garuda.Galadriel
Server: Garuda
user: Galadriel
By Garuda.Galadriel 2009-08-25 14:18:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Augmenting your gear wont really prevent you from losing the item. Most likely what would happen is they'd vendor all your augmented items and you'd still have to use a restoration to get them back. Then again there is a bit of satisfaction knowing that even if they did hack you they'd only get pennies for your augmented gear.
 Bahamut.Zorander
Server: Bahamut
user: Zor
By Bahamut.Zorander 2009-08-25 15:05:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Back to the OP I think Augmenting gear that you know you will never sell is a cool idea..but what if you ruin that item? I wouldn't want to Augment my HQ staffs, or Haub+1 just out of the sure chance that some backasswards augment is what I get stuck with. Or heaven for bid I quit this game and wanna hook some friends up with gear when I leave..

I play on 360 and use Token so i'll just keep my fingers crossed that I won't get hacked.

Oh yeah and who really bought the token for extra security? Gogogo more storage space!
 Ifrit.Beamr
Server: Ifrit
user: Beamr
By Ifrit.Beamr 2009-08-25 17:01:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Zorander said:

Oh yeah and who really bought the token for extra security? Gogogo more storage space!

QFT! lol
 Shiva.Clowdd
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Clowdd 2009-08-25 17:43:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Treppe said:
Should you augment some of your important items that can be augmented to prevent hackers from tacking them?

Sure, but then they'll be pissed about wasting their time hacking a nonprofitable hit & just toss your ***anyways or NPC it.

And all you 360 users that are tired of being "hacked" stop giving your info out & stop buying gil.

Q-Bert FTW
 Ramuh.Haseyo
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2009-08-25 18:49:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Treppe said:
Well thats just mean, at least he could be a nice thief

What the hell is a nice thief.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Caitsith.Ryder
Server: Caitsith
user: ryder75
By Caitsith.Ryder 2009-08-25 18:52:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Bartimaeus said:
Haseyo said:
Treppe said:

User submitted image

User submitted image

LMAO
 Ramuh.Haseyo
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2009-08-25 18:54:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Bartimaeus said:
Haseyo said:
Treppe said:

User submitted image

User submitted image

Lol >.>;
It's still wrong, even if you have a 'good' intention of doing the said robbery.
 Kujata.Akeda
Server: Kujata
user: Akeda
By Kujata.Akeda 2009-08-25 19:31:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Treppe said:
Should you augment some of your important items

So what happens when the hacker drops your items out of frustration because he can't take them?
 Phoenix.Jovant
Server: Phoenix
user: Jovant
By Phoenix.Jovant 2009-08-25 19:46:27
Link | Quote | Reply

well... i would imagine if "I" was to ever hack anyone i would take everything i could and just drop the rest then put a little message in bazzar comment:
"I Gotz 0w3d!, 0 Noz!"

its a lesson because i dont see how anyone can get hacked unless your a) doing and/or having something your not suppose to coughwindowerscough, b) to tursting with information. or c) just a very nosie *** person.

all 3 examples deserve a lesson which happens to be no more charcter/gearz for joo
First Page 2