New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Paladin » ~First and Final Line of Defense v2.0~
~First and Final Line of Defense v2.0~
First Page 2 3 ... 127 128 129 ... 137 138 139
By kinkanat 2022-12-02 05:06:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Thank you very much, I have found the set, also in this same post on page 123 I see a set that I like more, when I get home I will look at it. Thank you very much for the answers guys.

And yes, in Odyssey I have seen strange things with tanks that pullean 3 camps and not lower the life, see how casting BLU magic and mobs do not lower the life, even tanks that casting while moving, I guess they used Anchor or something, but what seemed to me more surprising is that they did not lose the hate of the mobs even if the DD did much damage.
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
Server: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2022-12-02 10:44:56
Link | Quote | Reply

When it comes to PLD there's a lot of factors to consider but just to clear up some confusion on the last page:
precast sets are the set you put on before you begin casting a spell, it's generally FC and (in some cases) quick cast.
Between the time you start casting the spell and the time it finishes, you put on midcast gear. This gear depends HEAVILY on the spell and the job, but the same general rule applies: it's the gear you want to be on when the spell finishes, and in the case of PLD the gear you want on while you're casting the spell.

For PLD this is complicated because you need SIRD otherwise the spell will be interrupted (if being attacked by 30 Ody mobs), but you also want DT because you're being smacked around, HP so your HP doesn't rubberband every time you cast a spell and put you in yellow and piss off your healers, enmity to make your hate-gathering spells more effective, block chance, status resistance...You kind of want everything.

The PLDs you see in Ody may have really good sets where they're balancing all these things, they may also be focusing on keeping the mobs in front of them so they can block. They could have movespeed gear on so they're outrunning the mobs and not being hit by many/any of them. It's really hard to say. Another factor is shield, if they're using Duban and you're using Aegis, it won't matter what the sets look like, you're going to get trashed on and they won't. If they have reprisal up and you don't, it will make a massive difference. Maybe their Phalanx set is better than yours. Maybe they have a stronger Regen V on from their Scholar and you have no regen.

One last thing: if you're not using a lua (rare, I know) you can't use a precast set for PLD on anything that might be interrupting you, because you have to wait 1 second to put on your midcast set and could get interrupted in that 1 second. If tanking 30 mobs in Odyssey, you stand 0 chance of getting any spell off without 102% SIRD
[+]
By Homsar 2022-12-11 01:26:22
Link | Quote | Reply

As someone looking to add PLD to my repertoire, does Prime Shield make Ochain obsolete?
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2022-12-11 01:58:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Yep. 2nd stage (Duban) specifically
By Draylo 2022-12-11 04:38:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Ochain has been obsolete for a while now
 Asura.Saevel
Server: Asura
By Asura.Saevel 2022-12-11 14:16:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Homsar said: »
As someone looking to add PLD to my repertoire, does Prime Shield make Ochain obsolete?

Priwen did that for the most part. Shrivasta with it's 150 defense is pretty damn close and Duban was the nail in the coffin.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Wakmidget
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Wakmidget 2022-12-12 20:17:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone have any updated PLD Aeolian Edge sets?
 Ragnarok.Martel
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Martel 2022-12-15 00:03:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I finally got caught up in tVR and got Duban. So I tested the block damage reduction, since I think that's really all that was left in question.

Tested on lvl 145 Apex Archaic cogs. 50% PDT(relevant due to Shield defense bonus)

Disregard the block rate in the parse report. I was getting non-block samples too slowly, so I turned around. Before I turned away I had an 83% block rate with block+3 and shield skill+21.(ML34)

Text version
Avg hit dmg: 108. 1040 samples
Avg Blocked hit: 39. 1051 samples

Taken as is this would be -63.8%. But after correcting for Shield defense bonus we get -60.1%.

So, as expected, the same 60% block damage reduction as Ochain. Maintaining the precedent set by Aegis and Srivatsa, where Srivatsa's higher defense did not result in a higher block dmg reduction.
[+]
 Asura.Otomis
By Asura.Otomis 2022-12-15 01:00:11
Link | Quote | Reply

When doing a similar test with Priwen, Keep reprisal up full time with trust haste; Pulled roughly 12 Cogs, held for about an hour, taking 0 to a couple damage the majority of the time (With phalanx also), 96% Block rate with Priwen + Reprisal. I was ML 30'ish when I did this. Deban for things you can not block OR Priwen + Reprisal for times you can block.
By SimonSes 2022-12-15 02:40:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Otomis said: »
Deban for things you can not block OR Priwen + Reprisal for times you can block.

Not sure what you are suggesting here?
Duban with Reprisal would be easy 100% block rate on those cogs. If im not mistaken it would push Martel's block rate to 158% against those clogs
 Quetzalcoatl.Jakey
user: Jakey
By Quetzalcoatl.Jakey 2022-12-15 05:20:34
Link | Quote | Reply

My best guess is maybe he wants to argue that we should use Priwen when it can still cap out on block rate since it can block a higher % of damage on each block.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2022-12-15 06:42:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah that's the only way to really read it. Obviously the only shields worth wearing when blocking isn't possible or you won't be able to face the enemy often would be aegis and srivasta
By SimonSes 2022-12-15 06:51:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Jakey said: »
My best guess is maybe he wants to argue that we should use Priwen when it can still cap out on block rate since it can block a higher % of damage on each block.

Whats the reduction on Priwen tho, because base for size3 is 50% and assuming its different than Duban, Srivasta and Aegis and does get bonus from shield's def, then assumin Bgwiki lists correct equation for this, Priwen would be at 60.8%, so pretty much the same as Duban?
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2022-12-15 10:16:14
Link | Quote | Reply

SimonSes said: »

Whats the reduction on Priwen tho, because base for size3 is 50% and assuming its different than Duban, Srivasta and Aegis and does get bonus from shield's def, then assumin Bgwiki lists correct equation for this, Priwen would be at 60.8%, so pretty much the same as Duban?
By the formula, Priwen's on block damage reduction should have been 82.5%. However, in practice, and via actual testing it only reduces damage by 80% on block.

For reference Aegis and Srivatsa are both 75% block dmg reduction.

It's worth noting however, that in most cases this difference in damage reduction doesn't really matter. Blocked hits with Phalanx up are typically 0 damage in any case. Crits and mob ws can breach that, but are usually very low damage after PDT and Phalanx.

The most important thing for overall physical damage reduction is simply that you do block. Cause if you don't block you're losing the entire 60%~80% damage reduction.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2022-12-15 10:33:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Addendum on the formula. You really only need to go by the complete formula to get the contribution from the shield's defense if the shield is of a weird ilvl.

Non-ilvl is shield def/2.
ilvl 119 is shield def/4.

Then just add the shields size's base dmg reduction.

This is because they increased the defense values of all ilvl shields, while changing the def to block dmg- scaling to maintain the same block dmg-.

119 shields got their defense doubled, so we went from divide by 2 to divide by 4. Shields of lower ilvl got less defense so you have to use a different value. The full formula is good for that.

And of course, keep in mind that size 5 and 6 shields are exceptions, and don't have a shield defense contribution to block dmg reduction.
[+]
 Asura.Otomis
By Asura.Otomis 2022-12-15 15:25:32
Link | Quote | Reply

SimonSes said: »

More so thinking in line with mass pulling Fodder in Ody or Omen or ML parties. Not sure the difference is significant enough to warrant bag space -1 to carry both shields with Duban. Well, aside phalanx cast.

Duban he majority of the time?
Aegis for mainly magic damage?
Ochain for MP return on block?
Srivatsa to cast protect?
Priwen, Phalanx?

Almost hoping Duban's final form has a heavy Magic Def. Magic Evasion, Elemental resistance augment. Excited to see.
By Nariont 2022-12-15 15:49:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Mp return on block is almost never utilized, so if thats all ochain is used for now you can shelve it, also if all you use aeonic for is the protect boost you can shelve that too, 10 DEF difference wont change all that much
[+]
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2022-12-15 16:13:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I think it's fairly likely future upgrades of Duban will push the def to or past the 150 on Srivatsa.

I'm very curious as to what other stats they'll add though... At this point, I think I'd be perfectly fine with them just making the one shield to rule them all, and depreciating all of the old shields.
[+]
By Nariont 2022-12-15 16:22:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Woulda liked them to have pushed the other shields into their own but its been i think about a decade since ilvl, still only 99, still no word of them changing, still a pain and a half to AG them, which as an aside, if AG wasnt awful and that shield bash recast came waaaay earlier... those pdt/mdt auras coulda been kinda neat back in the times when getting high PDT/MDT was a major loss
By SimonSes 2022-12-15 17:48:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Martel said: »
I think it's fairly likely future upgrades of Duban will push the def to or past the 150 on Srivatsa.

I'm very curious as to what other stats they'll add though... At this point, I think I'd be perfectly fine with them just making the one shield to rule them all, and depreciating all of the old shields.

Primes was suppose to be competitive to REMAs, not to directly overthrone them and for sure not all of them. the chance that they will make all shield outdated is close to 0. I would argue that even beating Ochain is probably just a overlook. They probaly didnt realize at first glance that just shield size with shield skill can be that good. I wouldnt be shocked if next stage of Duban will be different size. That or they simply overrating Ochain's block to MP conversion and they think without that Ochain size with skill is ok. Im like 99% sure they wont add meva and MDTII higher than Aegis or Priwen. My bet would be something like MDTII +10%, PDTII +10%
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
Server: Carbuncle
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2022-12-15 18:05:36
Link | Quote | Reply

In terms of making something with a unique benefit, I'd like to see Meva and Occ. Resist Status Ailments on the prime. Doesn't replace any of the other shields explicitly, but occupies a nice niche. Can keep the DEF, Shield skill, etc. it has now.
[+]
By Felgarr 2022-12-16 02:55:34
Link | Quote | Reply

SE does have the space in the abilities list to add about 130 more total abilities to the game. (I want to guess that it's at approximately 890/1024 abilities or unique IDs for them). I would be ecstatic if SE added an offensive or defensive shield ability to Duban. Perhaps, a single-use Reflect Aura? If it's too OP, it could overlaps with Shield Bash?)

I know it sounds excessive or improbable, but I think SE would struggle to scale past I-level content beyond 160. Or maybe I'm wrong and the next Duban is a high-block rate with boring state vomit. :/
 Cerberus.Dekar
Server: Cerberus
user: Dekar1
By Cerberus.Dekar 2022-12-17 22:57:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Maletaru said: »
In terms of making something with a unique benefit, I'd like to see Meva and Occ. Resist Status Ailments on the prime. Doesn't replace any of the other shields explicitly, but occupies a nice niche. Can keep the DEF, Shield skill, etc. it has now.

I'd love to see Occ. Resist Status Ailments, too. I love my Adamas but I'm can get my ***pushed in if I'm not careful with it.
 Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk
user: Xilk
By Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk 2022-12-26 14:43:44
Link | Quote | Reply

The link to the lua on front page is broken. Does anyone have a good pld lua?
 Bismarck.Tyconus
Server: Bismarck
user: Tyconus
By Bismarck.Tyconus 2022-12-26 18:45:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I have one I made that isn't a standard. I play on keyboard, so I use my left hand for most of my toggles.

Tyconus_PLD.lua
[+]
 Leviathan.Boposhopo
Server: Leviathan
user: Boposhopo
By Leviathan.Boposhopo 2022-12-26 23:41:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk said: »
The link to the lua on front page is broken. Does anyone have a good pld lua?

Here is mine, fairly basic and works.
[+]
By Homsar 2023-01-09 13:13:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Is any of the AF+3 gear worth getting or is it outdated in the top gearsets at this point?
By Nariont 2023-01-09 13:16:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Body is still a great high HP FC option, the rest im not really sure on
 Leviathan.Boposhopo
Server: Leviathan
user: Boposhopo
By Leviathan.Boposhopo 2023-01-09 14:30:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Only other piece you'd really use is the feet, and you can skip upgrading them cause they're just a holy circle macro piece.
First Page 2 3 ... 127 128 129 ... 137 138 139