Random Politics & Religion #00

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 1267 1268 1269 ... 1375 1376 1377
Administrator
Server: Hyperion
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Drama Torama 2016-02-15 11:29:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »
lame duck

A lame duck is someone whose successor has already been chosen. Obama still has the better part of a year until the election, plus a couple months after that where he is still the President.

Try to use terms correctly. Words mean things.
[+]

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Omael
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Omael
By Bahamut.Omael 2016-02-15 12:00:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahfk said: »
-Permafrost. When I traveled south and went to L.A. for example every road in every location looked completely brand new like it was just paved within months, I couldn't believe it. It's not because they're new and you could look close to see years of wear and tear, it was because roads last a shitload longer down there even with the thousands of times more traffic; So your infrastructure budget doesn't have to compensate as hugely for it. Almost every road where I live has to be completely redone often due to the permafrost from living this far north and in a country that's bigger than most, area wise with a lot more spread out population and roads to connect them, it gets obscene. Imagine the billions saved per year not having to redo all of your roads constantly right?

I was told about that several times when I drove the Trans-Canada Highway in the summer of '06. I suggested they make the roads out of rubber and the tires from concrete like the Flintstones, but they didn't seem too interested in that.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-02-15 12:37:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Drama Torama said: »
lame duck

A lame duck is someone whose successor has already been chosen. Obama still has the better part of a year until the election, plus a couple months after that where he is still the President.

How about useless son of a ***? I think we all can agree that term applies to Obama (and most of everyone in Washington DC) correctly. All of our candidates too, ever since Walker got out.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2016-02-15 12:39:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Nikolce said: »
If you were wondering...How long before the tinfoil gets here...

Obama killed Antonin Scalia!

most likely with some sort of voodoo doll...
Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
I betcha Obama had him killed.
Not long. You'll have to ask Nausi about the voodoo doll though.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-02-15 12:41:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Josiahkf said: »
Asura.Kingnobody said: »
lame duck

How about useless son of a ***? I think we all can agree that term applies to Obama (and most of everyone in Washington DC) correctly. All of our candidates too, ever since Walker got out.
I hear he's still going to be in furious 8 though.
By Altimaomega 2016-02-15 12:43:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahfk said: »
-Permafrost. When I traveled south and went to L.A. for example every road in every location looked completely brand new like it was just paved within months, I couldn't believe it. It's not because they're new and you could look close to see years of wear and tear, it was because roads last a shitload longer down there even with the thousands of times more traffic; So your infrastructure budget doesn't have to compensate as hugely for it. Almost every road where I live has to be completely redone often due to the permafrost from living this far north and in a country that's bigger than most, area wise with a lot more spread out population and roads to connect them, it gets obscene. Imagine the billions saved per year not having to redo all of your roads constantly right?

Sure down south the roads are easy to maintain. Michigan has horrible roads due to cold winter and hot summer. They are always getting redone. Same with vehicles. Rust can eat them alive from the salt on the road. Go down south and a 50 year old vehicle can have zero rust.
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2016-02-15 13:06:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »

dang late....I missed nausi's post... In my defense I was caught up in the burgeoning love affair between jeanpaul and altima...
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2016-02-15 13:47:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
If you were wondering...How long before the tinfoil gets here...

Obama killed Antonin Scalia!

most likely with some sort of voodoo doll...
I betcha Obama had him killed.

[+]
By Altimaomega 2016-02-15 14:02:10
Link | Quote | Reply

http://www.offthegridnews.com/current-events/let-us-inspect-your-home-for-dirty-dishes-or-well-get-a-warrant-city-says/
Quote:
“Both the United States Constitution and the Minnesota Constitution provide that persons shall be free from unreasonable searches and seizures and impose a warrant requirement supported by probable cause,” Robiner wrote. “The privacy interest in one’s home is well-recognized as of greatest constitutional significance.”
The city had sought the administrative warrant after the Wiebesicks and their tenants refused to let an inspector into the duplex.
“What’s at stake is a simple matter of making sure we have safe housing that meets minimal standards,” Golden Valley Fire Chief John Crelly told CBS Local Minnesota. “In general, there are no unannounced inspections.”
But the Wiebesicks see it quite differently.
“Tenants should enjoy the same level of privacy in their homes as homeowners,” said Jason Wiebesick. “We’ve done nothing wrong and we have nothing to hide. The city of Golden Valley shouldn’t be allowed to force its way into innocent people’s homes.”
Said Institute for Justice attorney Meagan Forbes, “Golden Valley is doing what countless cities do: forcing their way into people’s homes without any suspicion they’ve done anything wrong. This has to stop.”
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2016-02-15 15:01:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Reports today are that Scalia was found with a pillow over his head.

That is mildly curious.
[+]

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-02-15 16:18:35
Link | Quote | Reply

lame duck

Just a note on the origins of the term "lame duck".

When a duck (of the waterfowl family Anatidae) is injured, all the other ducks literally rape him or her to death.

The phrase was first used on people in 18th century Great Britain and originally referred to investors who defaulted on their debts.

See here for the political usage of the term.
[+]
 Phoenix.Xantavia
Server: Phoenix
user: xantavia
By Phoenix.Xantavia 2016-02-15 17:51:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Reports today are that Scalia was found with a pillow over his head.

That is mildly curious.
Well, when they came to clean up the scene of any embarrassing skeletons, they forgot to bring a spare pillow. Best way to hide the teeth marks is to put the pillow over his face, instead of keeping him facedown on it like they found.
 Phoenix.Amandarius
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2016-02-15 19:32:04
Link | Quote | Reply

lame duck

incorrect.

It is a politician who has about zero influence over other politicians in policy making because they are almost out of office.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2016-02-15 20:13:14
Link | Quote | Reply

lame duck

It most certainly is the correct usage. Obama currently has little power to do anything with significance. Both houses of congress are Republican dominated and the political atmosphere across the USA is swinging towards the right. President Obama is a lame duck and he knows it. Now if either the Senate or the House of Representatives was Democrat, or the political atmosphere was most left leaning, then he wouldn't be a lame duck.

The term "lame duck" is used to reference someone who, while still technically holding office, has little to no real power left due to political circumstances. It doesn't require their successor be chosen or even that they be in a democracy. A minister in some random country who was politically appointed but little more then a puppet is still a lame duck.
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2016-02-15 20:23:00
Link | Quote | Reply

All of his power right now is in foreign policy, he doesn't need Congress for anything in the war on ISIS, dealing with Iran/North Korea/Russia, which is fine since Congress isn't going to do anything this year.
 Phoenix.Xantavia
user: xantavia
By Phoenix.Xantavia 2016-02-15 20:47:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Amandarius said: »
lame duck

incorrect.

It is a politician who has about zero influence over other politicians in policy making because they are almost out of office.
A year left in a 4 year term is almost out of office?
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-02-16 08:12:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Xantavia said: »
Phoenix.Amandarius said: »
lame duck

incorrect.

A year left in a 4 year term is almost out of office?
Yes, glad you are keeping up.

I mean, have you seen how long it takes to pass a bill? Hell, they sped through ACA and it still took months. They didn't even read it until after it was passed, that's how fast they went on that law.
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2016-02-16 10:28:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Words mean things

Not here they don't puckwallow!

/zooms away in his SJW superhero suit to go be passive aggresive somewhere else
[+]
By fonewear 2016-02-16 10:36:07
Link | Quote | Reply

This is all you need to know about Hillary:

YouTube Video Placeholder
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2016-02-16 10:40:01
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »

which one of her campaign geniuses came up with that speech?
[+]
By fonewear 2016-02-16 10:40:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I heard old slick willy would have Monica bark like a dog for him !
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2016-02-16 10:53:23
Link | Quote | Reply

they should relaunch her campaign again, that always works like gangbusters...
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2016-02-16 11:18:54
Link | Quote | Reply

/barks
[+]
By Altimaomega 2016-02-16 12:29:12
Link | Quote | Reply

YouTube Video Placeholder

HA! The Republicans just made Hillary bark like a dog. If only they would use that power for good...
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2016-02-16 13:15:45
Link | Quote | Reply

which one of her campaign geniuses came up with that speech?
Oh good god, she really screwed the pooch on this one huh? I thought Clinton and dog jokes were forbidden ever since Chelsea was in the White House.

Seriously though, didn't she learn anything from Howard Dean in 2004? One does not look a gift yeargh dog in the mouth.
By Altimaomega 2016-02-16 23:25:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Even Obama knows that Congress can say no to his pick. It also appears he isn't going to do a recess appointment. He knows he is a lame duck and nothing he does will change that.

Sorry. Fox news. I blame Drudge.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/02/16/obama-fires-back-at-senate-republicans-in-supreme-court-battle.html?intcmp=hpbt1
First Page 2 3 ... 1267 1268 1269 ... 1375 1376 1377