U.S. Climate Has Already Changed, Study Finds

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » U.S. Climate Has Already Changed, Study Finds
U.S. Climate Has Already Changed, Study Finds
First Page 2 3 ... 42 43 44 45 46
 Valefor.Endoq
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-08-22 01:49:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Is the term "modern progressive" supposed to be ironic or is that completely unintentional? There is a massive logic failure on their part and their so-called progress is sending us back into the dark ages as far as social interactions go.

Also this: The climate changes inevitably, and to say it doesn't is to ignore reality completely. Living organism can change the climate. Humans happen to be such an organism that can produce large amounts of "stuff", I'm not going to argue the details of this "stuff" we produce and try to pinpoint the main culprits, that would be a fruitless endeavor. The bigger picture is that too much change too fast to the world has had an impact on its balance.

Also this [part 2!]:
Group A says: "Global warming is real! Buy our eco friendly stuff!"
Group B says: "Global warming is false! Keep buying our stuff like you always have!"

Do you see what is happening here? Whether or not either side is correct isn't the point. At the end of the day it boils down to this: getting more money out of us.
 Asura.Saevel
Server: Asura
By Asura.Saevel 2015-08-22 04:00:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Is the term "modern progressive" supposed to be ironic or is that completely unintentional? There is a massive logic failure on their part and their so-called progress is sending us back into the dark ages as far as social interactions go.

It refers to a progressive who's been educated in postmodernism. You can tell because their arguments ultimately center around how they feel about or perceive something vs what something rationally and objectivity is. The over abundance of political correctness seen in today's society is a direct consequence of this school of thought being pushed in the Universities for the past few decades.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2015-08-22 04:14:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Living organism can change the climate. Humans happen to be such an organism that can produce large amounts of "stuff", I'm not going to argue the details of this "stuff" we produce and try to pinpoint the main culprits, that would be a fruitless endeavor. The bigger picture is that too much change too fast to the world has had an impact on its balance.

A single active volcano dwarfs our contribution, there are many of those in the world.

Even if we let off every nuke in the world, the effect would be a mild weather change for about a decade then back to normal. "Nuclear Winter" was a giant myth that was circulated to generate anti-nuke sentiment.

It takes a lot to change this planet. It's about raw mass, this rock we live on is really really really big and it takes quite a bit of energy applied over very long periods of time to make any significant change. The gravity powered nuclear fireball we orbit happens to be such a source of energy. We haven't yet mastered the technology to generate sufficient energies to change a damn thing, which is why the AGW theory revolved around an unproven mechanic involving slight increases in CO2 forcing higher H2O vapor content.
[+]
 Valefor.Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-08-22 04:55:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »
Quote:
Living organism can change the climate. Humans happen to be such an organism that can produce large amounts of "stuff", I'm not going to argue the details of this "stuff" we produce and try to pinpoint the main culprits, that would be a fruitless endeavor. The bigger picture is that too much change too fast to the world has had an impact on its balance.

A single active volcano dwarfs our contribution, there are many of those in the world.

Even if we let off every nuke in the world, the effect would be a mild weather change for about a decade then back to normal. "Nuclear Winter" was a giant myth that was circulated to generate anti-nuke sentiment.

It takes a lot to change this planet. It's about raw mass, this rock we live on is really really really big and it takes quite a bit of energy applied over very long periods of time to make any significant change. The gravity powered nuclear fireball we orbit happens to be such a source of energy. We haven't yet mastered the technology to generate sufficient energies to change a damn thing, which is why the AGW theory revolved around an unproven mechanic involving slight increases in CO2 forcing higher H2O vapor content.
What about things not commonly considered "climate". Like the state of our oceans. Climate is much more than simply looking at the state of our skies. How about the mass of floating garbage the size of Texas floating around in the ocean? I would really hope for the sake of wildlife that those things are made up and just hype but they seem entirely plausible considering the amount of plastic we produce and toss away. We design one time use products to be virtually indestructible, this concept is madness.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2015-08-22 05:22:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Endoq said: »
What about things not commonly considered "climate". Like the state of our oceans. Climate is much more than simply looking at the state of our skies. How about the mass of floating garbage the size of Texas floating around in the ocean? I would really hope for the sake of wildlife that those things are made up and just hype but they seem entirely plausible considering the amount of plastic we produce and toss away. We design one time use products to be virtually indestructible, this concept is madness.

None of that is climate, that's environment.

The single greatest accomplishment of the left has to been to link environmental pollution with global weather. It gave them a great excuse to amass power all in the name of "protecting you".

I'm an environmental conservationist, I absolutely hate irresponsible pollution. I say irresponsible because some form of pollution was inevitable the moment we discovered how striking two stones together made fire. So if we need to make pollution, then we better make sure we're getting the best possible benefit from it.

As for the pacific garbage patch, it's MUCH smaller then Texas. This is another one of those myths that has been passed around from person to person to net until it's lost all meaning. More then 99% of the area your talking about has microscopic amounts of plastic measured as give particles per square meter of water. The definition of the word "particle" is important here because you think of a plastic jug or some other visible item while scientific measurements define it as anything small enough to measure. With the exception of one small spot, you could be sitting in that region and have zero idea your actually there.

So while your thinking this

Most of it looks like this

In the northern Pacific Gyre it looks like this

That's the absolute densest it gets by the way.

From here

http://www.deepseanews.com/2012/08/three-ways-of-looking-at-the-great-pacific-garbage-patch/

http://io9.com/5911969/lies-youve-been-told-about-the-pacific-garbage-patch

Quote:
"That picture of the guy in the canoe has been following me around my whole career!" Goldstein laughed when I brought it up. "I think it's an example of media telephone, where somebody wanted something dramatic to illustrate their story — and then through the magic of the internet, the picture got mislabeled." Goldstein has gone on several research trips to the garbage patch, 1,000 miles off the coast of California, and has even swum in it. "We have never seen anything like that picture," she asserted. "I've never seen it personally, and we've never seen it on satellite."

MYTH: There is a giant island of solid garbage floating in the Pacific.
FACT: There are millions of small and microscopic pieces of plastic, about .4 pieces per cubic meter, floating over a roughly 5000 square km area of the Pacific. This amount has increased significantly over the past 40 years.

That top picture by the way, and all the rest, are actually pictures from Manilla harbor or other South East Asian country like Vietnam or Thailand. It has absolutely jack ***to do with the Pacific Gyre and it's collecting of plastic particles. You were lied to, and then you passed on that lie to another person, who passed it on to another, until your all believing the lie because you keep telling each other it.

Why would someone deliberately mislabel a photo and mislead the entire public about something like that? Because they are activists who want to "do something about it" and they find that lying and manipulating people's emotions to gain sympathy and support is a perfectly legitimate way to do business.

You can not base policy and laws on *** make believe by environmental terrorists or the progressives manipulating them to get power. The whole "pacific garbage patch" is just one of many myths you've been told. Another, which I addressed earlier, deals with logging companies and them "destroying our environment!!!", which is the exact opposite of what they do. Jonny Q Public, yourself included, buys it all hook line and sinker because your desperate to feel morally superior about "doing something" without actually doing something. You've had so many people bludgeon you in the head with "your a bad human and should feel bad for breathing" that you'll believe anything that makes you feel good about yourself. You'll give them your money, your support, even your soul, anything for them to stop telling you that your a bad person for breathing.
[+]
 Valefor.Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-08-22 05:51:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Thankyou for that insight.
I'm all for activism as well, but not at the expense of lying to achieve my goals.
I think it's disgusting that so many of these so-called activist will go to such extremes to sway the public. One such group I have been seeing lie A LOT on TV are the anti smoking campaigns and animal rights campaigns where they flat out lie in their commercials. These lies harm their own cause and discredit them self's and even other activist who are doing things the legit way end up getting discredited along with these A-holes.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-08-22 08:07:14
Link | Quote | Reply

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/08/150821082727.htm

Sorry have trouble posting an abstract atm but it's about a study on receeding of glaciers.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2015-08-22 10:32:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »

Sorry have trouble posting an abstract atm but it's about a study on receeding of glaciers.

Hahaha

Oh that on was great. I'm gonna see if anyone can pick out the line they are using to generate the alarmist vibe and what's wrong with the conclusion as presented by the article vs the actual science.

And this is just crazy fun to read

Quote:
There are other forces that can also cause glacial melting on a local or regional scale, the researchers noted, such as changes in the Earth's orbit around the sun, or shifts in ocean heat distribution. These factors probably did have localized effects. But the scientists determined that only the change in greenhouse gas levels could have explained the broader global retreat of glaciers all at the same time.

Yeah ... changes in the Earths orbit only had regional / local effects...

Planetary orbits ... one of the things that determines absolute solar energy input across the entire planet somehow has only "local" impact that isn't significant.

Folks that is why I, and most other hard science folks, laugh when "climatologists" open their mouths. They say dumb ***like that and expect people to believe them.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2015-08-22 10:41:40
Link | Quote | Reply

http://www.biocab.org/carbon_dioxide_geological_timescale.html

Quote:
Scientists have also observed that the concentration of atmospheric CO2 increases during periods of warming. However, an increase in temperature always precedes an increase in carbon dioxide, which generally occurs decades or centuries after any change of temperature. We have not observed an increase in the concentration of Carbon Dioxide to have preceded a period of warming. This latter phenomenon occurs because when oceans absorb more heat from an increase in the amount of direct solar irradiance incident upon the Earth's surface, they release more Carbon Dioxide molecules into the atmosphere. Nevertheless, most drastic increases in CO2 concentration occur decades or centuries after the oceans have warmed up. For example, the present increase of atmospheric Carbon Dioxide was caused by an extraordinary increase in solar activity in 1998 which warmed up the El Niño South Atlantic Oceanic Oscillation.

Increases in CO2 happen after increase's in temperature, usually by a few centuries. The warming happened before the CO2 not after and thus could not be a result of it. This is a pretty well understood concept that has significant geological evidence behind it. Climate folks like to look the couple century difference and say "*** it, it's close enough to just say its at the same time" and end up assuming that few century span didn't happen.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-08-22 10:46:53
Link | Quote | Reply

All this global warming could be solved if we planted more trees !
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2015-08-22 11:00:25
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
All this global warming could be solved if we planted more trees !

Yeah more tree's would totally stop that orbital shift that can cause planetary sterilization. Might even make Donald Trump chance his hair piece.

That's climate change you can believe in!
[+]
 Valefor.Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-08-22 11:21:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »

From the link:
Quote:
"A recalculation of the dates at which boulders were uncovered by melting glaciers at the end of the last Ice Age has conclusively shown that the glacial retreat was due to rising levels of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases, as opposed to other types of forces. The data helps to confirm predictions of future glacial retreat, and that most of the world's glaciers may disappear in the next few centuries."

This is obvious proof that an advanced human civilization existed in the past and destroyed the planet and them self's! Don't produce any more greenhouse gasses, people! We need to start a campaign against the eating of beans! This "musical fruit" is sounding the marching tune of the welcome to you're "DOOM"!

[+]
By fonewear 2015-08-22 12:17:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm a human bean and I find this offensive !
[+]
 leo
By leo 2015-08-22 12:31:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Endoq said: »
This "musical fruit" is sounding the marching tune of the welcome to you're "DOOM"!

O_O
[+]
 Valefor.Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-08-22 12:32:04
Link | Quote | Reply

YouTube Video Placeholder

This video blows my mind...
 leo
By leo 2015-08-22 12:47:05
Link | Quote | Reply

These people should be forbidden of using computers. That video sure blew my mind on the "how could someone pour their time on posting this *** on youtube" way.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-08-22 12:47:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Ah, the flat earth stuff. Absolutely hilarious. We have enough problems with rogue scientists pre-determining conclusions and figuring out how to make the data fit, and thanks to YouTube it seems the general public is doing the same.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2015-08-22 13:27:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
Ah, the flat earth stuff. Absolutely hilarious. We have enough problems with rogue scientists pre-determining conclusions and figuring out how to make the data fit, and thanks to YouTube it seems the general public is doing the same.

But but .. .it's for a good cause! We know that fossil fuels are destroying our world and are EVIL, we just don't have the evidence yet to prove it. It's OK if we fudge a little bit, if we lie, steal, manipulate, destroy and hurt, cause we're really saving our planet right! The end justifies the means, whatever it takes we will do it!

And thus the fanatic is born, redoubling effort while losing sight of the goal.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-08-22 13:38:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't forget that they use satire websites as their argumentative points, and then attack you when you call them on their ***.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-08-22 14:18:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Rogue scientists, lol!
Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Don't forget that they use satire websites as their argumentative points, and then attack you when you call them on their ***.
Keep *** that chicken, yo.
[+]
 Valefor.Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-08-22 15:12:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
Keep *** that chicken, yo.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-08-22 15:46:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Stay classy, Pleebs.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-08-22 20:47:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Hahaha keep posting all that credible evidence you guys. It's overwhelming lol
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-08-22 20:57:33
Link | Quote | Reply

And what evidence have you posted again?

Oh right, not a damn thing.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-08-22 21:03:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I made this topic. Why are you even here?
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-08-22 21:07:38
Link | Quote | Reply

You posted theories, not evidence.

Why are you still here, there is somebody in Africa littering, you better go catch them before the earth warms another .000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000003 degrees because of it, in theory.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-08-22 21:14:31
Link | Quote | Reply

You made this topic, and 90% of your rebuttals are sad attempts at laughing it off? When your debate style matches your avatar, it needs work.

And don't even pull the "the arguments are so crazy that they're beneath me" shtick. Saevel posted enough that could actually be responded to.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-08-22 21:14:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Post something relevant or please go away. Saevel has me blisted because he can't handle an actual debate. I respond to serious posts. Don't pretend that doesnt happen. All i get from the deniers is troll bait, which can be remedied but i dont really want to resort to that.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-08-22 21:47:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
Post something relevant or please go away. Saevel has me blisted because he can't handle an actual debate. I respond to serious posts. Don't pretend that doesnt happen. All i get from the deniers is troll bait, which can be remedied but i dont really want to resort to that.

You want actual debate? Well then you would actually have to, you know, facilitate that. You seem to have your mind so made up on the topic that anyone who represents the opposing side is automatically viewed as a loony toon not worthy of a legitimate response, so what did you expect?

Pleebo: Anthropogenic climate change is totally real, you guys. The earth is warming at a rate of .2°C per decade.

Pleebo's version of an opposing viewpoint: Anthropogenic climate change is totally real, you guys. The earth is warming at a rate of .15°C per decade.

If that's the only type of discussion that you're willing to have then it's not going to happen here, so why bother?
[+]
 Valefor.Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-08-22 22:52:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I think Pleebo actually has a valid point in this thread.
First Page 2 3 ... 42 43 44 45 46