Let's Talk Fishing!

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXIV » Trade Skills » Fisher » Let's Talk Fishing!
Let's Talk Fishing!
 Asura.Chuuuuu
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: chuuuuu
By Asura.Chuuuuu 2013-09-07 16:51:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll try the aegis shrimp out. I did clams before and they did all sell hmmm. I still havent seem to have found a better place compared to fool falls. like 3 kinds of fish all giving like 4k, 5k exp for hq D:
 Bismarck.Tsuchinoko
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Tsuchinoko 2013-09-08 08:12:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Chuuuuu said: »
Bismarck.Tsuchinoko said: »
costa del sol
ive been there but I dont get what im missing, what bait do you use?and where? I just get like level 3, level 7 and 19 fish. also like blowfish, I am missing something
sorry, spoon worms for indigo herrings/breams during the day, fullmoon sardnes at night.
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2013-09-11 14:37:46
Link | Quote | Reply

On the quest Like Fish Passing in the Night and I cannot find a merchant who sells spoon worms.

Or bloodshore for that mater....

Any help?

AnnaMolly said: »
Anyone found any legendary fishing spots? I had assumed they'd be marked on the compass like Mature Trees on my BTN, but apparently they aren't. =/ (Or I'm just missing them.)

You probably have already found out that the hot fishing holes are marked in your fishing log, not the main map. IDK about legendary though.
[+]
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2013-09-11 14:45:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
On the quest Like Fish Passing in the Night and I cannot find a merchant who sells spoon worms.

Or bloodshore for that mater....

Any help?

AnnaMolly said: »
Anyone found any legendary fishing spots? I had assumed they'd be marked on the compass like Mature Trees on my BTN, but apparently they aren't. =/ (Or I'm just missing them.)

You probably have already found out that the hot fishing holes are marked in your fishing log, not the main map. IDK about legendary though.
I believe I found one, marked in the fishing log with the same fish icon, but with two sparkles. Regardless, I'm fairly sure the place you fish up Tiny Tortoise is a legendary node.
Server: Sargatanas
user: masekase
By Masekase Hurricane 2013-09-12 00:45:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Npc for spoon worms is with the merchant who repairs your gear in costa de sol it is under tools.
 Bismarck.Tsuchinoko
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Tsuchinoko 2013-09-12 01:28:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Bait varies vendor from different areas. The top tier 46-50 bait will give you a better chance on getting the more rarer fish. Weather/time also determines when they'll be caught. I caught Little Thalos at lv50 with Northern Krill during rain weather from 5pm game time til night when I ran out. Tiny Tortoise is caught at Salt Strand (Lower La Noscea) around 45-50. I used N. krill, but I heard sinking minnow can be used as well.
 Bahamut.Mizuharu
Server: Bahamut
user: Mizuharu
By Bahamut.Mizuharu 2013-09-26 11:42:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I was fishing for Mahi-Mahi when I decided to try something... Fisher is able to set cross-class actions from Miner and Botanist, right? I set the Ward abilities and decided to pop one on some off chance that it'd let me get crystals while fishing. It did not.

However, I did receive a permanent buff from using a ward that said, "Affinity to -element- is increased while gathering." It stayed on when I'd move spots after getting the fishing for too long message. I'm going to test each ward effect and see if a certain one increases the odds of getting Mahi-Mahi. (And before anyone says it's gathering/perception related, I have all HQ fisher AF gear melded with perception+ and gathering+. I'm currently at 299 gathering and 255 perception.)

To clarify, I'll be fishing at the recommended time (10-6) with only one ward up. I'll count each cast I do, and count each NQ and HQ I get.
 Leviathan.Cocien
Server: Leviathan
user: Cocien
By Leviathan.Cocien 2013-09-26 23:16:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I've been fishing in Cape Westwind just north of Revenant's Toll for Silver Sharks. Use rat tails and mooch HQ moby things. Sometimes you get a Wahoo though, so far it's been 50/50. I've only double mooched once and it was a silver shark, so nothing amazing.
 Bahamut.Mizuharu
By Bahamut.Mizuharu 2013-09-27 08:30:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Cocien said: »
I've been fishing in Cape Westwind just north of Revenant's Toll for Silver Sharks. Use rat tails and mooch HQ moby things. Sometimes you get a Wahoo though, so far it's been 50/50. I've only double mooched once and it was a silver shark, so nothing amazing.

I just go to Costa de Sol with Lv1 Lugworms. The only thing that bites are Mobies. :x
 Lakshmi.Harkonnen
Server: Lakshmi
user: tobenutte
By Lakshmi.Harkonnen 2013-09-28 11:08:38
Link | Quote | Reply

What a good place and bait at lvl 20?
 Sylph.Poupee
Server: Sylph
user: Lian
By Sylph.Poupee 2013-10-01 09:39:02
Link | Quote | Reply

This is my fishing route so far:

Level 1-5
Limsa Lominsa - Lower Decks; Bait: Lugworm

Level 5-10
Nym River - Middle La Noscea; Bait: Crayfish Ball

Level 10-15
Swiftperch - Western La Noscea; Bait: Goby Ball

Level 15-20
Fallgourd Float - North Shroud; Bait: Crayfish Ball

Level 20-25
Fool Falls - Upper La Noscea; Bait: Crow Flies

Level 25-30
Verdant Drop - East Shroud; Bait: Bass Ball / Crayfish Ball

Level 30-35 (you can come here around 27 but I just stayed at verdant drop so I didn't have to waste more gil atm teleporting and using different bait)
Western Thanalan. Moondrip using chocobo fly

Level 35-40 (did these and got to 35-40 in probably around less than an hour).
Coerthas River - Coerthas; Bait: Honey Worm
The Perks of Politics - Observatorium Leve
Hands Off Our Fish - Observatorium Leve

Now I am stuck at 41 because I don't have any gil and the only class I can unlock more leves is at 38 and I need to get to 40 and I'm too lazy to do that atm
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2013-10-01 22:04:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Level 30 - 35 Costa del Sol Spoon worms.

At 35 you learn sandfishing.

L 35 - 40 Southern Thanalan, Sagolii dunes, Sand Leech.

Once you hit 37 you can equip a heavy iron jig and fish for Hammerhead Sharks at the Silver bazaar. This is a gilmaker, not a good leveling fish.

You can also equip a sinking minnow and fish for Red Coral at Reaver Hide in Western La Noscea (outer Sahaginistan.) This is both a gilmaker and a decent skillup area. I took it to 45.

At 45 you learn Cloudfishing and head to Coerthas Central Highlands, sea of clouds.
 Bahamut.Mizuharu
By Bahamut.Mizuharu 2013-10-02 10:04:18
Link | Quote | Reply

At 35 you learn sandfishing.

L 35 - 40 Southern Thanalan, Sagolii dunes, Sand Leech.

Once you hit 37 you can equip a heavy iron jig and fish for Hammerhead Sharks at the Silver bazaar. This is a gilmaker, not a good leveling fish.

You can also equip a sinking minnow and fish for Red Coral at Reaver Hide in Western La Noscea (outer Sahaginistan.) This is both a gilmaker and a decent skillup area. I took it to 45.

At 45 you learn Cloudfishing and head to Coerthas Central Highlands, sea of clouds.

At 45 I went ahead and did leves at Mor Dhona on fisher to make the last rush to 50. Do only
Awash in Evidence - Saint Coinach's Find Leve
Snail Fail - Saint Coinach's Find Leve (this one you can trade in 9 snails. I suggest HQ for the 200% EXP bonus)
Sleeper Creeper - Saint Coinach's Find Leve

Doing these will also get you the bait that Mahi-Mahi baits to... sometimes. :x

EDIT

muh fisher :<
Server: Balmung
By Raein Tilgung 2013-10-03 00:25:33
Link | Quote | Reply

1. Fish at Bloodshore at between dusk and dawn (potential Silver Sharks) and Hidden Falls during day (Black Sole).

2. You can pick up a normal Iron Jig and do this at 32. All but 2 reel-ins have been Sharks so far.
 Bahamut.Mizuharu
By Bahamut.Mizuharu 2013-10-03 00:53:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Sophie Tilgung said: »

1. Fish at Bloodshore at between dusk and dawn (potential Silver Sharks) and Hidden Falls during day (Black Sole).

2. You can pick up a normal Iron Jig and do this at 32. All but 2 reel-ins have been Sharks so far.

If you want to fish only for silver sharks, buy Lugworms from the field craft supplier in Limsa. The only fish that'll bite are the Lv3 fish at Costa del Sol; which are the fish you mooch for Silver Shark. Since it's "live bait" also, it'll attract the fisher faster than an iron jig would.
By Raein Tilgung 2013-10-03 02:17:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I added the specifics for convenience mostly. Fullmoons give great exp as well as the ability to be mooched for Silver Sharks. Admittedly, your perception probably wont be high enough to reel in HQ's reliably, so it's mostly for the exp.

And the jig was for Hammerheads, not Silver Sharks. I stopped at 30 NQ and 5 HQ Hammerheads. and like, 6 or 7 random low level fish.
 Bahamut.Mizuharu
By Bahamut.Mizuharu 2013-10-03 23:05:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Sophie Tilgung said: »
I added the specifics for convenience mostly. Fullmoons give great exp as well as the ability to be mooched for Silver Sharks. Admittedly, your perception probably wont be high enough to reel in HQ's reliably, so it's mostly for the exp.

And the jig was for Hammerheads, not Silver Sharks. I stopped at 30 NQ and 5 HQ Hammerheads. and like, 6 or 7 random low level fish.

Welp durp. My brain completely left out "hammerhead" lol. And since fullmoon sardine are used for Deviled eggs, I don't mooch them. What I'll do is use Lugworms to get the Lv3 fish, which can also be mooch'd for silver sharks, and fish for those during the day. Then, at night, switch to bait for Fullmoon Sardine and then just farm/gather the rest of the mats to make deviled eggs. HQs tend to sell for 5k a piece on my server.
 Sylph.Poupee
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Poupee 2013-10-05 09:07:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Got to level 50 in fishing last night. Did leves from 40-45 super quick, then went on to sky fishing in Coerthas.
Does anyone have a lvl 50 armor set up I can go off of?
edit: btw this is my only job/class/crafting at level 50. My highest job is 40 atm hahaha. I just love fishing so much ;~;
[+]
 Bahamut.Mizuharu
By Bahamut.Mizuharu 2013-10-05 10:33:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Poupee said: »
Got to level 50 in fishing last night. Did leves from 40-45 super quick, then went on to sky fishing in Coerthas.
Does anyone have a lvl 50 armor set up I can go off of?
edit: btw this is my only job/class/crafting at level 50. My highest job is 40 atm hahaha. I just love fishing so much ;~;

Fisher's Wading Boots
Fisher's Gaskins
Fisher's Shirt
Fisher's Gloves
Hamlet Puller's Hat (fisher hat)
Raptorskin Ringx2
Raptorskin Survival Belt
Militia Bracelets
Electrum Earrings

all my stuff is HQ and melded with perception+ and gathering+. I got 308 gathering and 255 perception, but I might have goof'd on melding the body because I think it coulda taken +4 more gathering :<
[+]
Server: Cactuar
By Poupee Goo 2013-10-06 18:53:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Fishing for some red corals 8D
[+]
By Poupee Goo 2013-10-09 09:52:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Man everyone one my server now is doing red coral and all of my stuff has been sitting there cause people undercut like cray cray
By Raein Tilgung 2013-10-09 14:22:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Same for my Silver Sharks/Black Sole/Black Eel. I'd hoped the prices would have stabilized once the Freeloaders got booted. :<
By Poupee Goo 2013-10-11 19:27:26
Link | Quote | Reply

The achievement: A Fisher's Life for Me: Eorzea gets you the Rod of the Luminary

Has any one tried to get this? people say that you have to catch a number of fish but it says on the read mores on the achivements like from levels 11-20 and so on.
Does that mean you actually have to attain those levels with it or is that just an idea how much fish you have to catch?

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Kadengt
Server: Lakshmi
user: Kadengt
By Lakshmi.Kadengt 2013-10-13 01:19:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Poupee Goo said: »
The achievement: A Fisher's Life for Me: Eorzea gets you the Rod of the Luminary

Has any one tried to get this? people say that you have to catch a number of fish but it says on the read mores on the achivements like from levels 11-20 and so on.
Does that mean you actually have to attain those levels with it or is that just an idea how much fish you have to catch?

I have this.. and it sucked to get.
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2013-10-13 10:27:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Why these? Have you found a use for GPs in fishing? Have you another high level gathering class? Or just apropriate type jewelery with materia slots?

I have been wearing tanking jewelery just to spritbond and convert.
 Cerberus.Elflegolas
Server: Cerberus
user: Elf23
By Cerberus.Elflegolas 2013-10-14 12:10:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Kadengt said: »
Poupee Goo said: »

I have this.. and it sucked to get.

Noticed the rod has the exact same stats as the rod you get for level 50 fishing quest. Does it have some hidden effect? What's the point of getting this if not?

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Mizuharu
By Bahamut.Mizuharu 2013-10-17 12:06:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Why these? Have you found a use for GPs in fishing? Have you another high level gathering class? Or just apropriate type jewelery with materia slots?

I have been wearing tanking jewelery just to spritbond and convert.

Rings/earrings/neck can take +3 perception/gathering, bracelets can take +4 perception/gathering
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2013-11-03 10:12:45
Link | Quote | Reply

What makes a legendary fishing hole legendary?

I can see The Salt Strand because you can fish up a minion there.

Cape Westwind, where you can catch the Titanic Sawfish isn't one. The stars of a legendary fishing hole are at an otherwise undistingushed puddle next to it.

Were Diciples of the Land not down for me I could cite more examples.

P. S. Where does one catch the tadpole?