Fenrir.Cherrywine
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
By Fenrir.Cherrywine 2017-07-11 19:12:53
Link | Quote | Reply

pchan said: »
Godhands sux. And no I use spharai.

pchan said: »
SE has made the weapons this way so that godhands-spharai-vere give nearly the same damage output

We can disagree on a lot of things. But it is really strange when you disagree with yourself.
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2017-07-11 19:14:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Nitenichi
Server: Leviathan
user: camaroz
By Leviathan.Nitenichi 2017-07-11 19:54:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I am excited PChan has returned. He can be the hero we all have been waiting on!
[+]
 Phoenix.Capuchin
Server: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2017-07-11 21:34:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Cherrywine said: »
I get what you are saying. If you and your group don't mind a MNK coming along, that's cool. I'd personally feel guilty wasting the time of five other people by bringing MNK. But then, we spam Vol.1 VD to max out the points/gil, so we want to be done with it as efficiently as possible.

Absolutely nothing wrong with your approach to maximizing Ambuscade points/gil.

But I would say that if you're focused on efficiency to the point where you wouldn't consider bringing a MNK to Ambuscade... where do you possibly find a spot in ANY semi-relevant content for a MNK? I'm not just being sarcastic, I'm truly curious.

Ambu where there's a potential melee DD slot is basically the only event I feel like MNK ever warrants a spot (aside from the extremely low end current content like a "bring literally any melee DD you want" CP party or Omen card farming run). I don't really care that it takes 30 seconds more for an Ambuscade kill when most of the time is spent zoning and getting a KI anyway.

And eww other people saying trusts for ambuscade? I'll take a MNK and more gallantry over a trust, thanks.
 Fenrir.Cherrywine
By Fenrir.Cherrywine 2017-07-12 07:29:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I haven't found a place for it at all. I solo Quetzalcoatl with it. I'm killing Qilin with it during this campaign (three step Radiance will bring it to 10-20%, but my Thf could outright kill it in a two step Darkness) between other things. But, and I knew it would be this way, despite all the investment I've made into it, it is worse at everything than other options.
By pchan 2017-07-12 08:50:13
Link | Quote | Reply

You are trying too hard to look cool, I think
 Siren.Robthunder
Server: Siren
By Siren.Robthunder 2017-07-12 09:03:21
Link | Quote | Reply

What kind of numbers does your victory smite do against Qilin? Just curious. What's the highest spike you had ?
 Asura.Elflegolas
Server: Asura
user: Elf23
By Asura.Elflegolas 2017-07-12 09:11:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I haven't found a place for it at all. I solo Quetzalcoatl with it. I'm killing Qilin with it during this campaign (three step Radiance will bring it to 10-20%, but my Thf could outright kill it in a two step Darkness) between other things. But, and I knew it would be this way, despite all the investment I've made into it, it is worse at everything than other options.

Why do you even follow this thread when all you ever do is bash MNK? After following this thread for a bit, I'm 100% sure anything you post is a waste of time for me to read. Try either saying something worth saying or stop please. Thanks!
 Quetzalcoatl.Langly
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Langly
By Quetzalcoatl.Langly 2017-07-12 09:11:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Langly said: »
pChan, where did you snag your mob stats from? And which iLevel target do they correlate to?

Outside of the "Ultra Setup" you have, are you assuming capped fSTR on all other targets?

~ty
[+]
By Yandaime 2017-07-12 09:23:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Elflegolas said: »

Why do you even follow this thread when all you ever do is bash MNK? After following this thread for a bit, I'm 100% sure anything you post is a waste of time for me to read. Try either saying something worth saying or stop please. Thanks!

I don't think he's so much Bashing MNK as much as he's pointing out it's problems. It really is in a bad way right now in the current state of the game. Sounds like he really loves the job (seing as he apparently has it decked out) and just wants SE to stop screwing up so it can be a good job again. He's not the only one either, there are a TON of people that would love to see MNK adjusted to be good again.
 Asura.Elflegolas
user: Elf23
By Asura.Elflegolas 2017-07-12 10:02:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Yandaime said: »
Asura.Elflegolas said: »

I don't think he's so much Bashing MNK as much as he's pointing out it's problems. It really is in a bad way right now in the current state of the game. Sounds like he really loves the job (seing as he apparently has it decked out) and just wants SE to stop screwing up so it can be a good job again. He's not the only one either, there are a TON of people that would love to see MNK adjusted to be good again.

Of course, as do I. But no one on here needs to be reminded of the current state of MNK. That being said, an AG Vere MNK can dish out some respectable damage even in MNKs current state (highly due to OTD AM white damage) and the new kenda gear. It's not pure garbage like it's being portrayed by some on here. MNK WS def needs to be fixed, no doubt though.
 Fenrir.Cherrywine
By Fenrir.Cherrywine 2017-07-12 11:20:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I totally get that no one wants to read negativity all the time. I'm just approaching the job objectively.

MNK was my favorite job when I started playing in January, 2004. I played RDM and BLM to gear it up, and when Abyssea came out, it was an awesome time to have a well-geared MNK. I began Spharai before the Dynamis changes and I think I finished it before it was soloable... But I'm not 100% sure on that, anymore.
I stopped playing in May 2012. I came back in November of 2014, while MNK was good for delve. I used that time to work on PLD and have been mostly a go-to for tanking ever since.

My current state is one of nearly maxed inventory and jobs that ensure I'll be useful for any event. My main jobs are in incredible shape, so I wanted to go back to MNK just for kicks. As I've said, I knew it would be bad, but I had HQ from PUP, THF and RUN already anyway, so I really only needed to pick up Moonbow belt +1, Ryou kote +1 and some Omen cards. A lot of gil for the worst DPS, but I wanted to do it anyway.

So, for those that read this guide looking how to gear MNK well, I will call out people making bad choices--including when I make a mistake. We're all students here.
For those reading this guide checking to see if they should gear MNK to be a highly sought after DD... No, don't do it. MNK is not a good DPS by a long shot right now. If you want to be a DPS, don't start with MNK. People deserve to know what they are getting into and should be allowed to have their eyes wide open.
And for those that are going to be a MNK regardless of the highs and lows because they genuinely love the job, hats off to you. My posts probably will not sit well with you because MNK isn't good right now. But I'm with you that I hope it will be one day again.

My weapon skills against Qilin are:
Shijin Spiral: 7-11k. It is just for Aftermath.
Victory Smite: 15k average... Peak was 27k. Probably due to items. I did get a 22k without any temps active, though.
Radiance: 32k average, with two instances of 60k+

About 40 stones used.
Trusts were Sylvie (U), Qultada, Arciela, Shantotto II and Ygnas.
[+]
 Siren.Robthunder
By Siren.Robthunder 2017-07-12 12:40:32
Link | Quote | Reply

For me that's probably the difference. Most people I know aren't doing ambuscade vol1 on VD. They're doing vol2 on VD and Vol1 on VE or E. With this group of people it isn't hard for a mnk to do well. Once you get to where everyone has maxed gear, that's where everything falls apart for mnk.

On paper it looks like it could be good because of its white damage but in reality all other jobs have means of getting TP1000 fast that they are able to catch up and easily bypass mnk through their WS dmg. Back in the day it didn't matter if Asuran Fists was poop, mnk's dps was so insane it could pull ahead of other similarly-geared jobs (<3 destroyers). Now there's no contest, the low WS damage really makes a huge difference.

That's my feeling anyway. Maybe I'm stating the obvious or I could be entirely wrong since I just came back from a 2.5 year break.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2017-07-12 12:50:47
Link | Quote | Reply

MNK's melee damage is pretty solid, though Vere's AM3 only procing on main hand hurts it. Where MNK just gets steamrolled is in WS damage, right now damage in this game is 30/70 ~ 20/80 split between melee and WS damage. No matter how great that 20~30 is, if the 70~80 isn't up to snuff then it's going to suck *** no matter what.

This isn't hating on the job, MNK/PUP is the weakest out of the DPS jobs because they are stuck with H2H and H2H is weak. Hopefully SE overhauls H2H WS's to make them somewhat competitive with other weapon types.
By Blazed1979 2017-07-12 13:42:23
Link | Quote | Reply

We need 5k per hit/fist (10k per round) average + crits of 15k and they can keep our shitty HF,VS and RF @ 5-10k.
Who gives a *** about Martial art traits and STP when using a WS is a dps loss. (I think MNK is almost at the point now where WS'ing under certain conditions is indeed a dps loss lol or barely a gain)

That would be sweet... Imagine all the AFK mnks . "What? I engaged.. not like I can do much else, do a <call> when its dead."
 Bahamut.Tychefm
Server: Bahamut
user: Lyramion
By Bahamut.Tychefm 2017-07-12 13:49:59
Link | Quote | Reply

wrong topic
By Chyula 2017-07-12 14:06:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I think mnk is not far from a afk critical build. full HQ Kend set, 10% cape, 1% ring, 5% neck, high TA attached with it. probably can come up very high in parse. But so are all the other jobs that is on Kend set.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-07-12 14:13:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Tychefm said: »
wrong topic
Or right topic. Who knows?
 Siren.Robthunder
By Siren.Robthunder 2017-07-12 15:05:33
Link | Quote | Reply

So far my record is 26 crits in a row. I don't know where that stands with everyone else lol...
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2017-07-12 15:20:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Robthunder said: »
So far my record is 26 crits in a row. I don't know where that stands with everyone else lol...

I've seen 100% crit rate before, but that's with Blood Rage and some other silliness going on (Master WAR + Rag + Blood Rage + Rogues). Only lasts 60s but it's pretty hilarious to see.
By Seralonde 2017-07-12 20:42:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Kappa
 Phoenix.Capuchin
Server: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2017-07-13 01:35:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »
This isn't hating on the job, MNK/PUP is the weakest out of the DPS jobs because they are stuck with H2H and H2H is weak. Hopefully SE overhauls H2H WS's to make them somewhat competitive with other weapon types.

And PUP is affected considerably less than MNK, because a DD PUP will be using an automaton for more than half of its combined master+pet damage. Increasingly so, as the puppet buffs of the last year+ and better pet gear that are available now have really improved the puppet's DD ability. Used to be WAY more master focused, then it became fairly even, and now the damage is more weighted toward the puppet if you're gearing well. At least for Kenkonken, the most viable PUP DD setup (OA2-3x on master AND puppet = more emphasis on puppet, less emphasis on H2H WS).

Honestly I think this might be part of why MNK hasn't already been buffed - fear that PUP would become too strong. And I think that's a legitimate concern. One that, if I wanted balance, I would fix by doing a MNK specific buff (trait, some JA adjustment to help WS damage, whatever). Now, as a longtime PUP, I'd be thrilled to see them just toss out a H2H WS buff across the board... and I really believe that could potentially make PUP a real powerhouse DD, like, top tier melee good.
By pchan 2017-07-13 03:59:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazed1979 said: »
Who gives a *** about Martial art traits and STP when using a WS is a dps loss.

Do you have something other than opinions to supports this ? I have mnks at rouhly 55% melee 45% ws split.

Also under capped pdif condition exluding buffs such as impetus and other critdmg sources my simulations say

victorysmite ~16.5K average (80% crit average on weaponskill which is standard, 300 str which is standard)
vicroysmite ~19.1K average (80% crit average on weaponskill which is standard, 400 str)

under the same capped conditions with the standard gear (no impetus, again)
spharai and gohands ~2.8K DPS
vere 3K (AM1)
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2017-07-13 06:15:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, it's still worth WSing on MNK (probably even during HF), although it might not be worth WSing at 1000 TP. Holding for a 2000 TP Raging or Howling could be the best option.

I legitimately had to look Qilin up on bgwiki to make sure that I was remembering him properly as a Voidwatch monster. Please stop trying to justify MNK by how well it does on pre-ilevel content. I forgot to change jobs and meleed Qilin to death on my Geomancer the last time I killed him.

Here is how MNK does on modern content:
Lakshmi.Byrth said: »
I do Ou and Gin as MNK/DNC with a Masa v3 SAM/WAR friend sometimes. We both have good gear but are obviously still working on AF+3. He outparses me for sure, but it is more like beating me by 1/3 than beating me by 100%. If I was /WAR and we were using something other than Miser's roll, the gap would shrink a bit but I would probably still be behind.

If I go with a larger group / less attentive players, it is not unusual for me to parse at or near the top, but 37:50% ratios are probably more realistic between MNK and comparably geared/played DDs.

MNK's damage is lower than pretty much any comparably geared DD, but I've definitely won some messy alliance Omen parses by staying alive (thanks, Mantra).
[+]
 Fenrir.Cherrywine
By Fenrir.Cherrywine 2017-07-13 08:33:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I wasn't justifying MNK by how well it does on pre-ilvl content. I'm not justifying MNK at all, in its current state.
By pchan 2017-07-13 08:40:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Are you talking to me ? I don't even know what kilin is. Probably some fail voidwatch NMs (at the time) just like all of escha is at this time. The main point of all this ***is getting aeonic, and they suck. In reality the only content in the game is ambuscade, but VW is a lot more moneys.

I'll check the numbers on raging fists later.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2017-07-13 09:21:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I was talking to Cherry.
[+]
 Fenrir.Richybear
user: Richybear
By Fenrir.Richybear 2017-07-13 10:43:10
Link | Quote | Reply

stop it Cherry, you're gonna damage MNK's rep!

.... and that is how you can use the words "damage" and "MNK" in the same sentence
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Drkstr
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: drkstr
By Quetzalcoatl.Drkstr 2017-07-13 12:17:41
Link | Quote | Reply

http://www.ffxiah.com/item/22056/gozuki-mezuki
What about some fancy staff action! Bring on the staff builds to revive MNK!
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 128 129 130 ... 363 364 365