Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Paladin » Best MDT/MDB set
Best MDT/MDB set
 Bahamut.Dionikes
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Dionikes
By Bahamut.Dionikes 2012-12-21 00:17:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Heya guys, wanted to know the absolute best MDB/MDT set out there. I dont mean elemental resist builds, just mean the max MDB you can hit while of course maintaining MDT cap. I have d.ring, v.head, mekira body, aegis. So hitting MDT cap isnt an issue, i just want to maximize the slots i have with MDB and maybe even some mag eva.

Also have archon and shadow ring, not sure which is better to go a long side d.ring
 Phoenix.Demonjustin
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Demonjustin 2012-12-21 00:40:39
Link | Quote | Reply

This is the set I made, don't think its the best possible but its the best I could come up with when I was workin on it.
 Bahamut.Dionikes
By Bahamut.Dionikes 2012-12-21 01:19:55
Link | Quote | Reply

w/o Odin t2 gear, which ring would you sub out for D.ring?
 Cerberus.Kvazz
Server: Cerberus
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2012-12-21 02:03:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Shadow + dring, if you only wanna use one of the ones posted in that set.
 Odin.Sawtelle
Server: Odin
user: tooheyv
By Odin.Sawtelle 2012-12-21 02:09:01
Link | Quote | Reply

best set assuming you are absolutely not meleeing

I would look into using haste pieces instead of mdb while keeping capped mdt, engulfer, shadow ring, and noct body until you are decently high haste most of the time though.
By SakimaAsura 2012-12-21 02:28:14
Link | Quote | Reply

This is what i am currently using, would only need a shell 3 recast in the case of a dispel. Not a fan of the Odin pieces since of the slow, personally i wouldn't change it out even out of a melee situation.
 Bahamut.Briak
user: Briak
By Bahamut.Briak 2012-12-21 09:04:01
Link | Quote | Reply

What is it you're fighting with an Aegis & capped MDT that makes you believe getting MDB isn't a waste of slots?
Amazed anyone has room for this.
 Bahamut.Dionikes
By Bahamut.Dionikes 2012-12-21 10:15:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I barely have room for it, but it's 4 ish pieces that I'm carrying with mdb. Still have all my other sets all the way down to cure cheat.

Those builds are pretty close to what I use. I'll have to work on ogiers feet. I believe you can hit 7 mdb augment on w.legs no?
 Bahamut.Briak
By Bahamut.Briak 2012-12-21 11:34:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Even if you're using spellcast to switch your sets, any gain MDB netted you over what you already mitigated via your capped MDT will be lost in the mob's first swing directly after since you weren't at capped PDT.

I'm struggling to think of a viable example where that wouldn't be the case. I'm usually 79/80 on paladin and that's making sacrifices, I don't bother with MDB short of what's already on shadow ring 1/8th of the time and magic is never an issue. It was worth doing at 75, but the way Aegis is now the gains are so marginal you'd be better off at looking at improvements to your other sets.
 Bismarck.Llewelyn
Server: Bismarck
user: Llewelyn
By Bismarck.Llewelyn 2012-12-21 11:55:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Briak said: »
Even if you're using spellcast to switch your sets, any gain MDB netted you over what you already mitigated via your capped MDT will be lost in the mob's first swing directly after since you weren't at capped PDT.
I don't know why so many people bring up this argument. You'd have to have poor reflexes to be getting auto attacked in your MDT gear. Should be swapping out of your MDT set as soon as you see the mob's "end cast" animation.
 Bahamut.Briak
By Bahamut.Briak 2012-12-21 12:01:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Even lag can account for that window of time between a spell ending and a mob's first swing, it isn't really about reflexes, particularly in areas where you're going to be a paladin, which for us is usually legion or odin, maybe I just lag harder than most.
That said, I'd still stand by not bothering with MDB and looking at furthering other sets, which was my original point.
 Phoenix.Warusha
Server: Phoenix
user: Serithus
By Phoenix.Warusha 2012-12-21 12:03:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Llewelyn said: »
Bahamut.Briak said: »
I don't know why so many people bring up this argument. You'd have to have poor reflexes to be getting auto attacked in your MDT gear. Should be swapping out of your MDT set as soon as you see the mob's "end cast" animation.

The more relevant issue is where you're tanking multiple enemies at once and need to keep ochain on, or switch to Aegis and keep Shield skill, PDT high. Straight tanking Legion without clipper comes to mind.
 Bismarck.Llewelyn
Server: Bismarck
user: Llewelyn
By Bismarck.Llewelyn 2012-12-21 12:05:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Eh. I've personally never had a problem swapping out of MDT in time. If I'm experiencing lag I tend to just not want to play at all.

Only situation I'd recommend adding PDT in place of MDB would be if you had multiple mobs on you at once and one happened to be casting. Or, as you said, if the player is experiencing inventory issues (I sure am ;;).

Edit: Derp. Warusha pointed the first situation out as I was typing.
 Bahamut.Dionikes
By Bahamut.Dionikes 2012-12-21 12:30:05
Link | Quote | Reply

So screw the mdb and swap in pdt?
 Bahamut.Briak
By Bahamut.Briak 2012-12-21 12:46:11
Link | Quote | Reply

For inventory's sake, unless it's something that already had it (like the augment you referred to on w legs) or the examples in some of the other sets by previous posters, since you said you're already using Aegis and already capped MDT, I wouldn't bother tryng to add MDB.

Even in lag free areas you can experience a mob hitting immediately after a spell with no animation. There's no example of a situation or magic attack I can think of that can be given that could justify their place in your 80(unless you were using ochain/had multiple mobs as Warusha said - but you specifically mentioned Aegis). In my opinion at least - screw MDB.
 Bahamut.Dionikes
By Bahamut.Dionikes 2012-12-21 15:12:53
Link | Quote | Reply

No I agree. I'd the returns are diminishing then why bother when I need the iinventory for other sets.

Thanks a lot
By SakimaAsura 2012-12-21 18:53:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I can understand the inventory issues as i am usually 79/80 or 80/80 myself, having to make choices of which gear to carry depending on the situation(mainly which WS pieces ill carry in main bag for the sword i am using). Never have had to sac any important piece of gear so i cant really see inv as an arguement.

The topic was max mdt/mdb, i can think of alteast 4 situations where max mdt/mdb/absorbed/nulled gear would be nice to have, chainspell, multiple astral flow , kiting with instant cast mobs, and ochain magic dmg reduction. As alot of other gear its situational and you should be deciding if it warrants the slots for the current fight.