Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Dragoon » Best set(s) for DRG off AH
Best set(s) for DRG off AH
By JusticeHighwind 2012-11-28 09:13:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Hi, all. I've been working towards DRG99 as a primary goal, with the intent of then tackling the story-based and end-game content thereafter. I've basically just been exping (no real Abyssea content yet even) my way to 99 (Gusgen -> Nest -> BostOub), and finally completed the Lv 95 cap fight last night, then killed an enemy outside Jeuno (Level Sync ftw) to ding 96. Tonight, I hope to head back to the Bostaunieux Oubliette to make my way to DRG99 finally. (Sidenote: I did at least make sure to unlock Abyssea at 30 so Traverser Stones start accruing, as well as unlock Voidwatch at 75 so Voidstones start accruing as well)

All that being said, I know most of the good stuff actually COMES from doing story-based content, or end-game material. I'd like to get started in that direction, but I also would like to know how best to gear myself up as I work towards it.

I'm aware of the Lancer's gear set from Abyssea, though being that I only have DRG as an option, I'd basically need to piggy-back onto some other players (BLM, WHM, and probably a real tank) to be most efficient, or I could spam some of the quests in Abyssea in hopes of obtaining enough Laner seals over time from them to at least obtain +1 versions. But, even then, I still need some decent gear to wear while doing that.

So basically, my request is this: I've seen some of those 4x4 gear set image thingies in these threads when people ask for best set for stuff... I'm pretty much looking for the same, but particularly for AH-able gear for DRG99 at this point (TP/WS, both, whatever). Also open to which WS I should use - I don't yet have Stardiver, though I will be working towards that as well. Don't have Drakesbane, either, as I've yet to even travel to AU areas yet.

I figure there's enough posts here for those sets to work towards after I am at least geared up enough to actually be able to work towards them, but consider me a newbie DRG(99) that would like to get started working towards self-improvement.

Thanks in advance.

~ Justice ~
 Bahamut.Itze
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Itze
By Bahamut.Itze 2012-11-28 09:25:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Ashman
Server: Ragnarok
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2012-11-28 09:28:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I was going to contribute and then I saw that you signed your post.
[+]
 Bahamut.Itze
By Bahamut.Itze 2012-11-28 09:31:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Ashman said: »
I was going to contribute and then I saw that you signed your post.
It's ok he is a drg

~Itze~
 Ragnarok.Zeromega
user: Zeromega
By Ragnarok.Zeromega 2012-11-28 09:35:10
Link | Quote | Reply

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Jobs
look under anything that isnt drg

/endtroll

flame this all you want
http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Perle_Hauberk_Set

start there as a base line, any combo of gear 75 or less wont hold up against it (sadly)
that being said do everything in your power to get the empyrean armor asap then build around those pieces as you get them
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Phoenix
user: Seha
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-11-28 09:38:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Not much you can do without aby/vw/nyzul gear. Start from aby and get +2 armor, till then rock the perle set. You'll probably need herp to farm staff as at this point in time no one does pickup aby anymore.

~ Seha ~
 Sylph.Hitetsu
Server: Sylph
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2012-11-28 09:53:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Disclaimer: I am not, nor do I pretend to be a DRG :D! I made these decisions based on price and whether they looked worthwhile or not without any super serious thought!

Ideally you'd want to change Vimukti to Rancorous I think, but the price tag on it's a little hefty, so I dunno - if you don't want Rancor back, then get Atheling. Note that Rancor Collar and Rancor Mantle don't stack, so it's one or the other (unless something's changed, I think Rancor Back + Nefarious Collar is the best pair?).

Ring's I'm not sure about, they depend a lot on whether you're aiming for a specific X-hit build (taking X number of attacks to get to 100% TP) - for now, I'll assume not and just drop a couple cheap Attack+ ones in there >_>; You'll also want to work on COP Missions for Rajas Ring (non-negotiable, when you finish COP, you get Rajas! :D)

As others have said, work on AF3+2. OAT (Occasionally Attacks Twice) ToTM Polearm is (I believe), your best option, so I'd recommend working on that aswell.

When you start working on an X-hit setup, you'll probably want to trade Bullwhip out for Goading Belt. Also note, Gear Haste (The Haste+% on gear) caps at 25%, though you actually need 26% to get the "real cap".

When you get to Sea from COP missions, you'll need a Brutal Earring to go with whatever other earring you're using (for cheapskates sake, I'd say stick with Centaurus - no doubt there's better available though).

Sword Strap/Rose Strap/Pole Grip all depend on your X-hit setups, until you start working on that, there's not much more to say about them.

Thew Bomblet gets upgraded to Potestas when you get the chance aswell.
[+]
 Cerberus.Meatster
Server: Cerberus
user: Meatster
By Cerberus.Meatster 2012-11-28 10:04:21
Link | Quote | Reply

TP

Stardiver

Tear it up

I feel bad for making these.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kvazz
Server: Cerberus
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2012-11-28 10:27:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Meatster said: »
TP

Stardiver

Tear it up

Oh snap, that TP set.. That DRG would look.. amazing\ridicilous? lol
 Bahamut.Itze
By Bahamut.Itze 2012-11-28 10:29:44
Link | Quote | Reply

It gives me cancer, but for someone who doesn't have any +2 I doubt they can afford that.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Zeromega
user: Zeromega
By Ragnarok.Zeromega 2012-11-28 11:29:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Meatster said: »
TP

Stardiver

Tear it up

/amused

worst part is the average drg is probably worse than these
 Sylph.Decimus
Server: Sylph
user: Octavius
By Sylph.Decimus 2012-11-28 11:43:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Just skip those sets and spend the money afk'ing your whm to a useful level. Use your whm to get drg seals. It will be cheaper, faster and much less embarrassing. As you said, no one's inviting a drg to anything anyway, much less a drg with auction house sets. End-game drg is fun, but get there in a smarter way.
 Odin.Creaucent
Server: Odin
user: Creaucent
By Odin.Creaucent 2012-11-28 12:19:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Perle till you can get af3+1, perle is a good filler set from 75 content stuff to 81+, anyone who says it isnt is just deluded. At 99 though the quicker you can get out of it the better. Get working on meriting stardiver, old nyzul isle for drakesbane and abyssea atmas skewer is a good replacement to drakes provided you have crit atmas.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2012-11-28 12:32:47
Link | Quote | Reply

If you have Abyssea access, skip everything else in the back slot and go straight to Atheling Mantle. Check the AH and see who's buying Tiger King Hides, they'll probably let you have one for free and certainly for cheap. You can pick up Rancorous/Letalis later to pair with it. Rancor Collar is dirt cheap and you can TP/WS in it for Skewer/Drakesbane (you'll need a gorget for Stardiver) until you get better options. Full Perle will last you for TP gear until you've got some AF3+2. Find a WHM to help get you a Bullwhip Belt. Pipilaka Belt is probably the best option for a decent/cheap WS belt unless you want to go out of your way for Anguinus (you'll need an ele belt for Stardiver). CoP is a joke at 99, so make that a priority for your Rajas Ring and Brutal Earring (and Ethereal if you're into soloing). If Hoard Ring affects your x-hit then you can use that pending Tyrant's, otherwise maybe Blitz Ring. Wouldn't bother with Demonry unless you're planning to merit MP (don't).

WS gear, use the item power search to figure out what you can afford that has desirable stats (mostly STR/attack for now). Get an attack/TP bonus Moonshade Earring, it's the best option for both Drakesbane and Stardiver.
[+]
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [238 days between previous and next post]
By kelahnus 2013-07-24 21:28:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I am in the same boat as you recently returned to the game so getting the AF3+2 is going to take some time. So as laughable as it may be I bought the calma set for for now its not bad and I can use It till I get the better upgrades.

Edit: Sorry for the necro bump it was just the only thread that was relevant to my issue.
[+]