2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Dragoon » So many polearms o.o
So many polearms o.o
By Kiralai 2012-11-26 08:17:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Ihm said: »
Valefor.Philemon said: »
I agree completely. When I decided to work on a polearm, I decided go big or go home. You can make a Gungnir and you'll do fine. You can make an OAT and you'll do fine (and every DRG should make one in my opinion). Or you can go all-in and make a Ryunohige and become an incredibly competitive DD.

Yes it's a lot of work, but the increase in performance over a Gungnir justifies the extra effort in my eyes. Your mileage may vary, but if you're gonna invest 200m into a Gungnir I would advise instead to consider investing 450m into a Ryunohige.

Its not so much just the gil investment... 200m gil will give you a 99 Gungnir with next to no effort except for a few trials which really aren't hard. 450m gil will (Over a long period of time) get you the ALEXANDRITE ONLY for a Mythic, lets not forget you also need the titles, assaults, einherjar, nyzul and zeni, and thats JUST the level 75 version.

None of those things (apart from the Alexandrite perhaps) is actually out of reach for your typical player though. Assuming they had a few friends, they could easily get access to any/all of those things at level 99, even if that wasn't the case at level 75. It's all easy, albeit time consuming/limited by resets. I can understand someone not wanting to (or feeling capable of) obtaining a Mythic because they don't have the time or means to generate the gil for the Alexandrite. The rest of it is just a matter of being willing to wait. For me, the extra stuff is the easy part, and I will feel "done" the second I get my 30,000th Alexandrite. My feelings about it are perhaps not popular ones though, lol.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Martel
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
By Ragnarok.Martel 2012-11-26 08:27:37
Link | Quote | Reply

If you finish alexandrite before assaults/ichor/tokens, you're going to feel very differently about it very quickly. XD

The time based barriers get very frustrating fast. Especially when two of them share a timer(Assault tags/nyzul)
[+]
 Cerberus.Kvazz
Server: Cerberus
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2012-11-26 08:48:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm gonna have to agree with Martel :p
If you finish up all alex, THEN start assaults\nyzul(specially if you don't have captain yet) and more or less from scratch on ichor.. You'll be stuck with all that alex for months without beeing able to get your weapon.
 Odin.Eikechi
Server: Odin
user: Eike
By Odin.Eikechi 2012-11-26 08:49:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah I would have started Kenkonken years ago, if I had a good group to do salvage with or Ein. I've still never done Ein but 1 damn time. Just never found a group on my server. Sucks too because I wouldn't mind a Herja either.
 Fenrir.Sylow
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-11-26 08:52:33
Link | Quote | Reply

You can farm tokens without committing to a weapon (just don't buy the book).
You can farm ichor without committing to a weapon.

The only thing you can only do while comitted is assaults.

Farm ichor and tokens at your leisure while you toy around with buying Alexandrite and/or save up gil.

At that point, you can really make a decision about how to proceed, choose a weapon, and begin assaults while you either start buying Alex or make your final push.
[+]
 Odin.Eikechi
user: Eike
By Odin.Eikechi 2012-11-26 08:54:25
Link | Quote | Reply

You guys are making me want to come back to start a mythic, but having no LS would make that impossible. Damn you all! lol
By Kiralai 2012-11-26 10:27:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Martel said: »
If you finish alexandrite before assaults/ichor/tokens, you're going to feel very differently about it very quickly. XD

The time based barriers get very frustrating fast. Especially when two of them share a timer(Assault tags/nyzul)

Oh yeah, I can certainly appreciate that. I'm fairly certain Alexandrite will be done for me before the last of the other requirements. I can tell right now that it's the Einherjar that will hold me up. I'm sure I will start getting impatient and irritated; you're 100% right about that, but Alexandrite was always the thing (for me) that made me feel like I could never have a mythic. So having that part done will be the biggest relief I think. In the grand scheme of things, that is. Piece by piece, I think the Einherjar will be the most annoying though, for sure.
 Valefor.Philemon
Server: Valefor
user: detlef
By Valefor.Philemon 2012-11-26 12:50:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Ihm said: »
Valefor.Philemon said: »
I agree completely. When I decided to work on a polearm, I decided go big or go home. You can make a Gungnir and you'll do fine. You can make an OAT and you'll do fine (and every DRG should make one in my opinion). Or you can go all-in and make a Ryunohige and become an incredibly competitive DD.

Yes it's a lot of work, but the increase in performance over a Gungnir justifies the extra effort in my eyes. Your mileage may vary, but if you're gonna invest 200m into a Gungnir I would advise instead to consider investing 450m into a Ryunohige.

Its not so much just the gil investment... 200m gil will give you a 99 Gungnir with next to no effort except for a few trials which really aren't hard. 450m gil will (Over a long period of time) get you the ALEXANDRITE ONLY for a Mythic, lets not forget you also need the titles, assaults, einherjar, nyzul and zeni, and thats JUST the level 75 version.
I don't know how you can just brush off the relic trials while saying you only get "just the level 75 version" of the mythic as if mythic trials aren't incredibly easy. Especially for drg. And yeah it is a lot more work but it may be worth it depending on the person.

For me, my ls still does Einherjar for ampoules and abj but even if we didn't I would find 2 other people and low man it (with mules). There is a guy on Valefor who shouts 2x a week for Odin. There is another person who shouts for old nyzul just for tokens. It's a lot of work but people are finding a way to do it.
 Shiva.Kolossuss
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Kolossuss 2012-11-26 13:02:34
Link | Quote | Reply

An interesting thing to consider about polearms at the moment would be; Seekers of Adoulin will be out in the first quarter of next year. As noted when it was first announced, there is a strong DRG community on that continent. It would only make sense that there will be new, very nice weapon upgrades from DRG, along with all jobs. And since expansions are few and far between, this could mean a new set of "ultimate" weapons, in line with Relic/Mythic.

Just something to take into consideration. I believe the target release date was sometime in March for SoA, and that's only 3ish months away(depending when in March it is released).
 Ragnarok.Azryel
user: Azryel
By Ragnarok.Azryel 2012-11-26 13:28:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Kolossuss said: »
An interesting thing to consider about polearms at the moment would be; Seekers of Adoulin will be out in the first quarter of next year. As noted when it was first announced, there is a strong DRG community on that continent. It would only make sense that there will be new, very nice weapon upgrades from DRG, along with all jobs. And since expansions are few and far between, this could mean a new set of "ultimate" weapons, in line with Relic/Mythic.

Just something to take into consideration. I believe the target release date was sometime in March for SoA, and that's only 3ish months away(depending when in March it is released).

That's what's holding me back: the unknown, and potentially game-changing, gear to come out with the new expansion... And the fact that I'm still a corporal (lol)... I want to make a new relic (I was thinking either GK or Polearm), but the smart play is to stockpile gil and wait to see what happens. Best case scenario, they come out with sweet new gear, and I'll have a bunch of gil ready for whatever... Worst case scenario, they come out with more of the same, and then I can power through a relic in 2 weeks or so. I am a big fan of instant gratification, but I'm going to do my best to wait for now...
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2012-11-26 13:39:07
Link | Quote | Reply

More likely than a new best weapon(s), would be a change to the game via mechanics function or otherwise like has happened several times which changes what's best. Resolution is a good example of a major change for drks and wars. Since drg is in dire need of some update love, one can hope they will change something for the better... Like a massive attack boost but most changes I can think of don't change weapon hierarchy so much as just make drg overall better.
 Ragnarok.Azryel
user: Azryel
By Ragnarok.Azryel 2012-11-26 13:59:11
Link | Quote | Reply

DRG has done OK so far with updates: Stardiver is pretty solid, and Jump timers have been shortened.

Would be funny though if SoA turned into 5 more years of pink birds! lol

I'm thinking they'll give RNG and BLM some use again though... I mean, how long can we keep TP burning everything? And also, why have Meteor (a spell that SHOULD be awesome) with a 6 BLM setup, and then have no practical application for it? Doesn't make sense to me.
 Valefor.Philemon
user: detlef
By Valefor.Philemon 2012-11-26 14:02:14
Link | Quote | Reply

The mentioned adding new Mythics for Rune Fencer and Geomancer when the expansion hits. These weapons would likely become the best weapons for these 2 jobs. With this in mind, I can't see them introducing yet another line of ultimate weapons across all jobs.

I agree with Sekundes that SE will, if anything, adjust specific aspects of the job. Like Gungnir, Drakesbane, Wyverns, or Jumps. Or something like that.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [51 days between previous and next post]
 Carbuncle.Verina
Server: Carbuncle
user: Verina
By Carbuncle.Verina 2013-01-16 09:22:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Little bit of a bump, but I've been wracking with this decision in my head myself and just really wanted to put some ideas down and get some feedback.

Drg always has been by pet job, and I feel bad (embarrassed?) if it isn't at least geared close to 85-90% if not at 100% of its capacity so to speak.

I have 85 Rhongomiant, and yeah it's a horrible weapon and I regret wasting the time on it. So I started working on a Gungnir as well as my work schedule would allow and have only turned in up to the 16 bynes for stage 3, though all the coins for stage 4 and 40 or so jadeshells for stage 5 are sitting in my MH. I started to hold off as marrow prices slowly climbed and with the eventual changes to perfect defense and embrava they are likely to climb higher, into the 20mil/pop and above range on my server.

With that amount of investment into a 99 Gungnir, yeah it's been mentioned previous thats a nice chunk toward the alex hit on a mythic, about 13,000 alex. Not to mentioned the time waiting for assault tags to be available since I'm still doing Neo-Nyzul and getting Ichor. Let alone the PW kills for Scoria.

So I guess my problem comes down to this:

1. Suck it up and finish Gungnir. Likely leave it 95 and start work on a mythic which would then invalidate all the effort on a Gungnir.

2. Get Gungnir to 99 and just be done with it, knowing you dont necessarily have the "best" when you could be at 50+% of finishing it without getting the Gungnir.

3. Sell all my dynamis currency and start on the mythic now, and in the meantime pray for a Herja's Fork or make a Str Magian.

4. Continue farming until I'm 100% done with the Gungnir coins and then wait to see what the expansion brings in terms of changes.

I really don't know, I don't mind wasting some time but having the ability to only farm dynamis once a day and no real knowledge of solo salvage really kills my re-vamp time on finishing the Gungnir which I won't ever use after finishing the Ryu.

Outside of praying for Herja's Fork, and I don't like the OAT at all, what are my other options for the time being if I decide to skip Gungnir and just go for Ryu?
 Bismarck.Kelhor
Administrator
Server: Bismarck
user: Rooks
By Bismarck.Kelhor 2013-01-16 09:33:04
Link | Quote | Reply

What's your issue with the OAT? It's a very good weapon.
[+]
By Otomis 2013-01-16 09:38:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin Hazhalm Testing Grounds 110 out of 2660 4.1%
[+]
 Ragnarok.Ashman
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2013-01-16 09:48:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Verina said: »

I have 85 Rhongomiant, and yeah it's a horrible weapon and I regret wasting the time on it. So I started working on a Gungnir

XD

Bismarck.Kelhor said: »
What's your issue with the OAT? It's a very good weapon.
+1
[+]
 Odin.Creaucent
user: Creaucent
By Odin.Creaucent 2013-01-16 09:57:52
Link | Quote | Reply

You could take rhongomiant to 95/99 rhongomiant and gungnir have exactly the same dmg and delay if 99 gungnir beats oat then 99 rhongomiant will as well plus it gets high ODD with AM3 up. Im making gungnir and I have 90 rhongomiant though I am taking my time... well rhongomiant does look a lot better than gungnir. If you dont want to waste money on plates and cinders or cant get the scales then take gungnir to 95 since its alot better than what you have now. 125 vs 147 dmg.
 Carbuncle.Verina
By Carbuncle.Verina 2013-01-16 10:14:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I just have never really liked the lower damage rating on it when I had one briefly back around 85 or 90, can't remember. Has the output on it changed that dramatically in relation to the level increase?

Taking Rhongo higher is out of the question. I don't like it at 85, I won't like it at 90, I'm not spending money on it for 95.

Outside OAT and Herja's, what are the other non mythic/relic weapons that do "okay" for the time being if I choose to work on a ryu?
 Quetzalcoatl.Hyunkyl
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: hyunkyl
By Quetzalcoatl.Hyunkyl 2013-01-16 10:17:07
Link | Quote | Reply

STR magian
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2013-01-16 10:56:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Outside OAT and Herja's, what are the other non mythic/relic weapons that do "okay" for the time being if I choose to work on a ryu?

This is going to sound like a troll but I promise you that it's not. I was drg4lyfe since NA release... from "assault jerkin/ohat" era through Abyssea.

Your average job would love to have 4-5 "acceptable" options for weaponry. Saying "I want to know what weapon is best that's not: Mythic, OAT, Relic, Empyrean, or the best "dropped" polearm" tells me either: you have something in mind already and are just looking for validation (that you probably will not get limiting the good polearms drg has access to), or you don't realise what youre doing.

You're already on a job that is going to be somewhat of a concession to bring along (trust me, it hurts to say) for some situations. Top that off with an attitude of "i don't want to make the first, second, third, trophy-piece, or doorprize polearms" and you might as well be a full perle sam using soboro.

People can make excuses all day and cry about it being their 12.50 a month or whatever but in the end... people don't HAVE to invite you and no one HAS to accept that you want to play how you want. There's a point the "i want to be a unique snowflake" is widely accepted (read: not JUST the people that someone making excuses would call elitest), and saying "i want to use the 7th place winner" is probably a good bit past that.

If you have a spear you want to use, use it. I still think you're either having dillusions of grandeur (trust me, I had them too), or trying to squeeze water from a stone.
[+]
 Bismarck.Kelhor
Administrator
Server: Bismarck
user: Rooks
By Bismarck.Kelhor 2013-01-16 10:59:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Ashman said: »
trying to squeeze water from a stone

Yeah, because a non-Ryu DRG doesn't hit hard enough to get blood.

/oblig
[+]
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2013-01-16 11:01:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Creaucent said: »
You could take rhongomiant to 95/99 rhongomiant and gungnir have exactly the same dmg and delay if 99 gungnir beats oat then 99 rhongomiant will as well plus it gets high ODD with AM3 up. Im making gungnir and I have 90 rhongomiant though I am taking my time... well rhongomiant does look a lot better than gungnir. If you dont want to waste money on plates and cinders or cant get the scales then take gungnir to 95 since its alot better than what you have now. 125 vs 147 dmg.
Rhongomiant is a waste of time and money. Never suggest anyone make one much less level it to 99, save them the heartache.

I just have never really liked the lower damage rating on it when I had one briefly back around 85 or 90, can't remember. Has the output on it changed that dramatically in relation to the level increase?

Taking Rhongo higher is out of the question. I don't like it at 85, I won't like it at 90, I'm not spending money on it for 95.

If you don't have a Gungnir, Herja's or Ryuu then OAT is your best bet. Low damage is more than made up for by your WS rate with a 5 or 6 hit, it's a good weapon for drg. Even if you plan to make one of those 3(or try to get a drop in the case of Herja's), you can use OAT in the meantime.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Verina
By Carbuncle.Verina 2013-01-16 11:42:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Ashman said: »
If you have a spear you want to use, use it. I still think you're either having dillusions of grandeur (trust me, I had them too), or trying to squeeze water from a stone.

Don't get me wrong, I'm right there with you and understand your point entirely. I've got other jobs like Cor, Sch, Blu, Dnc etc to do events on, but I love going Drg when I can. Its my 4lyfe job too.

It's not so much an issue of "its my 12.95". Just with my work schedule and knowing how I would deal with time vs reward in the limited time I have available I don't necessarily mind getting the gungnir and then starting to work on the ryu.

Maybe this is where I am looking for validation in what I want to do. If Gungnir is say step 1 to 5 and Ryunohige is step 1 to 10, giving each step a month for simplicity's sake, is it worthwhile to finish both in 15 months?

I guess in my head I have answered my own question. In crunching numbers if I finish gungnir then start farming for alex it would take me about a year to do the alex with only doing dynamis once a day. Hmm.
By Solrain 2013-01-16 11:58:52
Link | Quote | Reply

If you're dead-set on making a Ryu and have the motivation to see it through (it seems like you do), making a Gungnir in the meantime is just a waste of gil that could be put towards Alex. Making a relic as a bridge weapon doesn't seem like a good way to use your resources.

I would do like everyone else said and do the OAT while holding out for Herja's. Did you have the 85/90 version done already? It seems like you did from one of your previous posts. Spending 2-3m on Mirrors/Sand is a much smarter investment than spending 150-200m on a Gungnir that will add little to no benefit over the OAT as far as damage goes. OAT is a ridiculously fun weapon on a ridiculously fun job.
[+]
 Sylph.Wardeniii
Server: Sylph
user: Wardeniii
By Sylph.Wardeniii 2013-01-16 11:59:11
Link | Quote | Reply

It is impossible to help anyone with the "should I save for mythic or make X/Y/Z weapon" question without knowing their income.

How much gil do you have? Is your only source of income dynamis? If so, do you do dynamis every day? If you do a single dynamis run every day, and average at least 200 coins per run, are you comfortable spending your next 347 days worth of daily dynamis coin farming on mythic? -- this further assuming that you don't spend a single gil between now and then on anything else, that you never miss a dynamis run, and that the price of currency maintains it's average price of 6500, and that alexandrites hold at ~14-15K.

I personally shudder at the thought of ~350 days...THREE HUNDRED AND FIFTY CONSECUTIVE DAYS of hopping on and spamming box step/violent flourish every some-odd seconds for two straight hours. If this isn't realistic for you either, then you should probably be happy with a 99 gugnir.

Although this is repetitive, I still find it obligatory -- if you really want to make money, start an ADL group.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2013-01-16 12:04:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Solrain said: »
If you're dead-set on making a Ryu and have the motivation to see it through (it seems like you do), making a Gungnir in the meantime is just a waste of gil that could be put towards Alex. Making a relic as a bridge weapon doesn't seem like a good way to use your resources.

I would do like everyone else said and do the OAT while holding out for Herja's. Did you have the 85/90 version done already? It seems like you did from one of your previous posts. Spending 2-3m on Mirrors/Sand is a much smarter investment than spending 150-200m on a Gungnir that will add little to no benefit over the OAT as far as damage goes. OAT is a ridiculously fun weapon on a ridiculously fun job.
I wrote up a post but it ended up saying pretty much the same thing Solrain said ^^; But I agree, if you can deal with the long haul, then go all or nothing with Ryuu and finish it faster. OAT on jumps is epic btw.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Verina
By Carbuncle.Verina 2013-01-16 12:14:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I did have a 85 OAT but I tossed it after getting Rhongo at the time. So I would have to start a new one over again.

I've got 20+ mil in liquidity right now and about 2,000 alex when I had "started" the mythic close to a year ago and stopped buying when I switched to the Gungnir. I try to do dynamis once a day. I farm Suzaku and sometimes Genbu for tatters and scraps and of course Voidwatch and Qilin runs for metal plates that were going to go towards 95ing Armageddon for my cor but are easily expendable to buy alex with.

Dynamis alone should net me 5mil/week on the low end. Genbu scraps prolly wont be worth as much post Embrava change but earthen tatters should stay at 70kish at least until expansion.

One purely Dynamis once a day, it takes just about a year as mentioned to get the alex. Of course in that time I still also need a few of the other pre-reqs, but those can be done during that timespan obviously.
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2013-01-16 12:24:33
Link | Quote | Reply

You made wrongo AFTER OAT? If i could give you mine, I would T.T
 Valefor.Endoq
user: Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2013-01-16 12:26:58
Link | Quote | Reply

i like my ws dmg+10% polearm, prolly isnt the "best" one, but if i wanted to be top DD i'd be on another job if that was my goal :3