Your most hated (H)NM in the entire game and why
First Page 2 3 4 ... 9 10 11
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: Starkzz
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2012-10-30 11:10:40
Link | Quote | Reply

The Behemoth and Dvergr in T3 einjar @75, ***was an almost guranteed fail, infact, don't think my old group ever beat one of them once.
[+]
 Cerberus.Taint
Server: Cerberus
user: Taint
By Cerberus.Taint 2012-10-30 11:23:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai said: »
The Behemoth and Dvergr in T3 einjar @75, ***was an almost guranteed fail, infact, don't think my old group ever beat one of them once.

Dvergr was one of the better designed bosses. Definitely not easy, but SE did a good job with him.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2012-10-30 11:28:48
Link | Quote | Reply

That Marid was a *** in Einherjar.
[+]
 Bahamut.Dannyl
Server: Bahamut
user: dannyl
By Bahamut.Dannyl 2012-10-30 11:29:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Hoo Mjuu the Torrent
Argus
Cargo Crab Colin
Noble Mold
Bonnacon
Lord of Onzozo
Mysticmaker Profblix
Shikigami Weapon
Zipacna

Tunga - Self-explanatory. Always got in the way of my burns.
Sedna - For his knockback and when you wanted to proc yellow

Akvan - 500-700+ still no body
[+]
 Leviathan.Brotherhood
Server: Leviathan
user: bluecop81
By Leviathan.Brotherhood 2012-10-30 11:45:32
Link | Quote | Reply

KA: Vrtra: Jourmy: Kirin: all 5 Fomor Kings all NM's in the Past zones (Beadeaux {S}, Castle. O {S}, La Value {S}" all hard @ 75, but soloable @ 99 with correct jobs (BST for one) Semi miss old days, semi Dont care. and do not forget about Pallas and Alky back in the day in upper D Tower.
[+]
By Gameesh 2012-10-31 03:01:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Here's a classic one:

How many hours, days, weeks, maybe even months have been wasted on camping this *** for that fantastic (but oh-so frustrating-to-get) hairpin...?
[+]
 Lakshmi.Chilzen
Server: Lakshmi
user: Chilzen
By Lakshmi.Chilzen 2012-10-31 03:46:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Shikigami Weapon, since I went 1/21 on YYR and basically had such a horrible streak getting it that next to nobody would help me on my server, since it was unheard of someone having that bad of luck on something wiki said had such a high drop rate.

Hovering Hotpot, since I wasted 17 hours of a day off work trying to get a single pop out of him for a dagger trial.

Suddenly, I realize my most hated NMs are just poor design overall, since one is an invisible roaming NM that only appears when you track him with widescan and aggro him with magic in a zone that consists of nothing BUT magic aggro, and the other is a lotto pop trial NM that isn't coded with a hard timer cap for repop, letting it seriously take almost a full day to get him to pop into his window.
[+]
By Gameesh 2012-10-31 03:58:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Chilzen said: »

Hovering Hotpot, since I wasted 17 hours of a day off work trying to get a single pop out of him for a dagger trial.

It's cruel such a NM is even ON a trial...
/comfort
[+]
 Leviathan.Kincard
user: Kincard
By Leviathan.Kincard 2012-10-31 04:00:36
Link | Quote | Reply

whichever one i'm fighting right now
[+]
By Gameesh 2012-10-31 05:29:03
Link | Quote | Reply

More classics:
Are your rage levels rising yet?
[+]
 Siren.Leocon
Server: Siren
user: Leocon
By Siren.Leocon 2012-10-31 05:35:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh Jesus, I forgot all about Stray Mary too. It's been several years since I've last tried, but I've never even seen that damn thing pop. Back in the days I'd try for it, the spawn area seemed so large that I always said *** it after an hour or so heh.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Hevans
Server: Ragnarok
user: Hev
By Ragnarok.Hevans 2012-10-31 06:53:11
Link | Quote | Reply

khimaira was by far the most annoying hnm @75. run all the way to his spawn past true sight/sound/magic aggro mobs just to get plds a sword that they shouldn't be wearing.
[+]
By Gameesh 2012-10-31 07:09:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Hevans said: »
khimaira was by far the most annoying hnm @75. run all the way to his spawn past true sight/sound/magic aggro mobs just to get plds a sword that they shouldn't be wearing.

I don't main Paladin, but this sword doesn't seem too shabby to me...
[+]
 Ragnarok.Hevans
user: Hev
By Ragnarok.Hevans 2012-10-31 07:12:49
Link | Quote | Reply

considering plds best two swords were much much easier to get, it was pretty shabby. joyuese for ws spam or the machulati(chainsaw) +1 if you were kiting. the hauteclaire was a town piece.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Ashman
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2012-10-31 07:14:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Gameesh said: »
I don't main Paladin, but this sword doesn't seem too shabby to me...

at the time PLD's garnished hate through spamming atonement and quick tp gain. SE decided that was broken so nerfed atonement damage, only to re-release it in the form of CDC later.

Either way it was more of a trophy sword than anything (like having pld unlocked)
[+]
By Gameesh 2012-10-31 07:19:08
Link | Quote | Reply

considering plds best two swords were much much easier to get, it was pretty shabby. joyuese for ws spam or the machulati(chainsaw) +1 if you were kiting. the hauteclaire was a town piece.

I guess with the arrival of Enlight, the light damage effect on this sword is kinda outdated now (in lack of a better word). Back then, -7% physical damage must have at least been one good reason to have this sword though?
I do agree that Joyeuse was easier to get (100% drop ftw). Just that Chary was a pain to camp, since he was pretty popular. It still pales with Khimaira though... I loathe 32 hour+ NM's.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Ashman
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2012-10-31 07:27:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I never engaged while using hauteclaire. I'd use it for supertank or kiting for awhile. I used it for picture time too.
[+]
By Gameesh 2012-10-31 08:50:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Slightly off-topic, I'd like to see more FF (optional) bosses return to this game. Omega weapon an Shinryu are awesome already, but there's so much more out there.

Years ago I had a silly idea of having to fight a special NPC (a character from a previous FF) depending on your job. WAR would have to fight Cloud, THF Zidane, SMN Yuna etc.
But it wouldn't be possible with how the character models work in this game I think. So it remains an idea till this day and nothing more heh.

And to close my post; remember this guy?

If you actually have (or had) a Rogetsurin, then props to you. I gave up LONG ago...
[+]
 Asura.Deodate
Server: Asura
user: deodate
By Asura.Deodate 2012-10-31 10:03:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Hmm...seems like I remember the term HNM being in use even before "rage timers" were introduced into the game, so in regards to that definition "I'm going to have to go ahead and just disagree with you there" (Lumberg, Office Space). Rage timers were added to "HNMs" to prevent holding.

If I had to choose an NM, I guess I'd say Argus. Long spawn timer for a standard NM, shared spawn time w/ Leech King, and used to be constantly camped.

Also, Taisaijin...some newb would always ruin the spawn timer by killing the Taisai.

Neither of the above are a big issue these days, but those are my "old school" choices.
[+]
By Gameesh 2012-10-31 10:11:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Deodate said: »
If I had to choose an NM, I guess I'd say Argus. Long spawn timer for a standard NM, shared spawn time w/ Leech King, and used to be constantly camped.

That reminds me, I still don't have a peacock charm...
I kinda forgot about Argus, so thanks for the (painful) reminder :P
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
Server: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2012-10-31 10:13:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll just leave these here
[+]
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2012-10-31 10:22:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I hated this *** so hard.

Also Taisaijin, but now I own the most beautifully awful item in the entire game.
[+]
By Gameesh 2012-10-31 10:24:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Dabackpack said: »
Also Taisaijin, but now I own the most beautifully awful item in the entire game.

You mean this...?

Hey at least you HAVE a rare/ex drop from one of the harder NM's to claim in this game. Blue mages, there are other hecteyes to learn from. I got Death Ray in Pso'Xja, but there are probably even better places now >.>
[+]
 Asura.Deodate
Server: Asura
user: deodate
By Asura.Deodate 2012-10-31 10:40:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Taisaijin, but now I own the most beautifully awful item in the entire game.

Scroll of refresh! ^.~

I just want the title, "Bye-Bye, Taisai."

Dang! A title? Taisaijin must be an HNM!!!11
[+]
By Gameesh 2012-10-31 10:53:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Dangit, Deodate I almost choked on my coffee XD
Well played, sir.
[+]
 Leviathan.Kincard
user: Kincard
By Leviathan.Kincard 2012-10-31 17:47:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Ashman said: »
at the time PLD's garnished hate through spamming atonement and quick tp gain. SE decided that was broken so nerfed atonement damage, only to re-release it in the form of CDC later.

I don't recall them ever nerfing atonement damage, its use stopped when better stuff (CDC) came out.

Man every time think of Atonement, I think of the first mythic finished and the massive nerdrage that followed.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-10-31 17:48:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Joyeuse and Atonement were incredibly satisfying to use, idk why
[+]
 Fenrir.Sylow
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-10-31 17:49:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Kincard said: »
Ragnarok.Ashman said: »

I don't recall them ever nerfing atonement damage, its use stopped when better stuff (CDC) came out.

Man every time think of Atonement, I think of the first mythic finished and the massive nerdrage that followed.

Everything and its brother was released with "Spirit Damage Resistance", effectively nerfing Atonement and Breath Spells.
[+]
By Gameesh 2012-11-01 06:45:45
Link | Quote | Reply

And our NM of today is...

Remember when he was first introduced? I can still recall the discussion I had with a friend how utterly useless this NM is lol. And I quote: "That *** thing is just a *** excuse for SE to keep our xp levels lower so we level more and thus give them more money". Uh huh...

Either way, I have to agree that Bastet was indeed a total nuisance, and perhaps still is sometimes.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Puchu
user: Puchu
By Ragnarok.Puchu 2012-11-01 07:20:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Old Days when skill up or go to fish devil manta..
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 ... 9 10 11