Game: FFXI
user: Kalila
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-07-26 16:35:15
Link | Quote | Reply

04-05-2012 03:56 AM
[source]
Hiromichi Tanaka
Dev Team

For the new UI that is currently in development for the Windows version, we will be enhancing the resolution and revamping icons for enhancements, abilities, magic, and other items. These new icons require resident memory, so unfortunately due to their being a lack of this for the PS2/360 we will not be able to implement the same icons for these versions of the game; however, we are planning to switch out the enhancement icons to be the same as the Windows version.

Below is an example of Regen and Refresh:

And here are the two-hour abilities for each job:

Can you tell which is which? These designs are still under-development.

We will be changing the graphics for other spells and abilities as much as we can. One of the objectives for this is to display the icons in the macro palette to make them clickable, as was requested in the past.

Also, in regards to the PC requirements to be able to easily play the updated Windows version, we expect it to be a bit higher than the requirements from ten years ago. However, I believe that recent PCs are at more than suitable level.

Once all the details are finalized I will let you know.
Subscribe

07-26-2012 04:31 PM
[source]
Okipuit
Community Rep

Greetings,

Thank you for your feedback on the new magic icons. We have noted your concerns and we are looking into ways to make it easier to distinguish specific spells. Once we have determined the direction we would like to take, we'll be sure to provide you with an update.

In the mean time, we are more than glad to receive more feedback.
Subscribe

08-03-2012 12:59 PM
[source]
Okipuit
Community Rep

Good morning!

We have been receiving a ton of feedback on the new icons and we will be taking them into consideration moving forward as we make our UI revamps. Speaking of which, we will be continuing to add new elements such as clickable portions of the new UI, addressing the status icons, and other things, so we will we will definitely be looking into how each of them look. With that said, we imagine that addressing all of these things will take quite a bit of time.

We understand that it might be somewhat strange to only change the icons on the list first and originally it was preferred to change everything at once; however, since the amount of things to do for the new UI revamp is extremely lengthy, we will be adding and addressing portions in phases.

Look forward to all the awesome UI revamps that are coming, as we feel you will really enjoy them. We can’t wait to hear your feedback.
Subscribe

11-29-2012 04:06 AM
[BG source] [JP source]
Slycer
BG Translator

Regarding the New Icons

Hello. Sorry it's been a while!

The progress around introducing the new UI to the test server has been slower than expected, so until the time that we are planning to use the new icons, in the next version update we will be adding the ability to toggle between the old and new icons from the configuration menu.

As soon as we are aware of any progress on the new UI, we will inform you immediately, so please be patient.

Translated by: Slycer
Subscribe

11-29-2012 02:26 PM
[source]
Camate
Community Rep

Hello!

Sorry to keep everyone waiting. Implementation of the new UI onto the Test Server is progressing slower than planned. While it will be a bit longer before you can use the new icons in conjunction with the system we are planning, in the upcoming version update we will be implementing a feature that will allow you to toggle between the new icons and old icons in the config.

Once there are more developments with the new UI we will be sure to pass along the information.
Subscribe
 Leviathan.Draylo
Server: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2012-07-26 16:38:27
Link | Quote | Reply

A lot of them are small, its hard to see anything specific.
[+]
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-07-26 16:38:49
Link | Quote | Reply

My reply:

Quote:
I know that many players wish there was an option to revert back to the old icons. You have to see their point of view, some have been playing with them for 8-10 years and like it that way.

Maybe give an option to toggle between new and old? Like you can with the chat log background. I know those are two completely different systems, and understand why it wouldn't be easy to do, but I think players would appreciate the effort if it was possible to do.
[+]
 Phoenix.Hawkhellfire
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Hawkhellfire 2012-07-26 16:43:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Agreed. Would LOVE to go back to the old icons. Should make something in config to allow you to choose. It's so much more annoying going through the menu's now.
[+]
 Fenrir.Schutz
Server: Fenrir
user: Schutz
By Fenrir.Schutz 2012-07-26 16:46:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I am guessing their need for differentiating icons in the windows/PC environment comes from their ultimate goal of having the WOW-style "icon frame" UI for the PC.

With all the icons visible on a click-able grid of rows, having two or more of the old style icons (where all fire spells have the same icon, etc.) would be confusing visibly. This isn't to say they still didn't create duplicated new icons (Chain Affinity and Burst Affinity are identical, among others) anyway, but I think that is their reasoning. :p

At least that's my understanding of what they wanted to do with the upcoming UI changes.
By Artemicion 2012-07-26 16:49:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks to spellcast and windower aliases, I type in all my job abilities, weapon skills and spells, so I suppose I'm not very affected by this change aside from the questionable status icon changes. I much rather stick with the mod community and use FFXI viewer continuously.
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-07-26 16:52:25
Link | Quote | Reply

For those of you who use XIView, here is the progress they are making. I actually quiet like it...

wildman48 said:
Here's a preview matching the menu icons with the status icons. I've been working on the white magic ones at the moment. A few things I've noticed, like bar spells share the same icon. So if I change lets say Barfira, then all bar spells will have the same icon. There's a few spells that are like this. Also, all white mage spells are labeled within the dat, so finding them and changing them are easy. Once I get into the job abilities, I pretty much have to have that job leveled and go through each one 1 by 1 and match that JA to the icon I see. I don't have every job leveled, so this may be hard without screen shots of every JA in the menu. All it shows is jobab 1 - jobab 132, so it can be difficult to figure out which ones are what. Anyways, it's coming along and looking ok with what I've done so far. If anyone wants to take screen shots on their menu icons for the following jobs, that would be great. You can PM me or post here. Here's the jobs I'm looking for.
BLU,PUP,SCH,RDM,RNG,COR,DNC

Thanks!

I like them.... they match the status icons.
[+]
 Phoenix.Baelorn
user: Baelorn
By Phoenix.Baelorn 2012-07-26 16:55:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I like the new ones. If they change anything I hope it is optional.
 Valefor.Hjui
Server: Valefor
user: Hjui
By Valefor.Hjui 2012-07-26 16:57:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Was actually hoping for some updated effect / buff icons
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-07-26 16:58:58
Link | Quote | Reply

they need to add a way for us to see buffs/debuffs that are up on the mob :|
[+]
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-07-26 17:00:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
That's just silly, why make a Final Fantasy online game just like the rest of their games? There needs to be variety!
 Leviathan.Draylo
Server: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2012-07-26 17:01:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kalilla said: »
For those of you who use XIView, here is the progress they are making. I actually quiet like it...

wildman48 said:
Here's a preview matching the menu icons with the status icons. I've been working on the white magic ones at the moment. A few things I've noticed, like bar spells share the same icon. So if I change lets say Barfira, then all bar spells will have the same icon. There's a few spells that are like this. Also, all white mage spells are labeled within the dat, so finding them and changing them are easy. Once I get into the job abilities, I pretty much have to have that job leveled and go through each one 1 by 1 and match that JA to the icon I see. I don't have every job leveled, so this may be hard without screen shots of every JA in the menu. All it shows is jobab 1 - jobab 132, so it can be difficult to figure out which ones are what. Anyways, it's coming along and looking ok with what I've done so far. If anyone wants to take screen shots on their menu icons for the following jobs, that would be great. You can PM me or post here. Here's the jobs I'm looking for.
BLU,PUP,SCH,RDM,RNG,COR,DNC

Thanks!

I like them.... they match the status icons.

Those are nice.
[+]
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-07-26 17:05:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Btw, the one in charge of XIView does need some help like I posted. If you have BLU, PUP, SCH, RDM, RNG, COR, or DNC and can take screenshots of the spell icons listed in the menu with the SE's new icons then it would help them out.

Topic Link
 Ragnarok.Taereon
Server: Ragnarok
user: Halo4
By Ragnarok.Taereon 2012-07-26 17:23:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Those are really nice. But I'm too lazy...
[+]
 Bahamut.Mizuharu
Server: Bahamut
user: Mizuharu
By Bahamut.Mizuharu 2012-07-26 17:48:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »

I don't see why not. Most of these icons are copy/paste from FF14 anyway. And, in FF14, you can see what status effects are on the monster currently.
[+]
 Bismarck.Misao
Server: Bismarck
user: misacat
By Bismarck.Misao 2012-07-26 17:52:30
Link | Quote | Reply

back in my day, utsusemi icon was the same as Barfire~
[+]
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
user: Seha
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-07-26 17:52:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Uhh..also actually knowing what buffs I have on myself without toggling would be nice...like regen and refresh..why is refresh HP?! Should be mp!
 Siren.Mcclane
user: mcclane
By Siren.Mcclane 2012-07-26 18:06:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Sehachan said: »
Uhh..also actually knowing what buffs I have on myself without toggling would be nice...like regen and refresh..why is refresh HP?! Should be mp!

I see MP for my refresh icon...
[+]
 Sylph.Jkun
Server: Sylph
user: Jkun
By Sylph.Jkun 2012-07-26 18:41:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Once again fans of the game doing a better job than the actual developer.

I mean it's been a few days now and I still don't know what the *** these new icons are supposed to be.

I agree with giving us the option to toggle between old and new UI, but I worry that if they update the status icons into something better, toggling the magic/JA/WS list icons would also revert those back too.
 Bismarck.Chubakka
user: Greezy
By Bismarck.Chubakka 2012-07-26 19:04:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kalilla said: »
07-26-2012 04:31 PM
[source]
Okipuit
Community Rep

Greetings,

Thank you for your feedback on the new magic icons. We have noted your concerns and we are looking into ways to make it easier to distinguish specific spells. Once we have determined the direction we would like to take, we'll be sure to provide you with an update.

In the mean time, we are more than glad to receive more feedback.
Subscribe

like anything else, its just going to take getting used to. I do like the idea about choosing what setting for icons under config, but if it is unreasonable, just leave it.
 Fenrir.Mefuki
Server: Fenrir
user: Mefuki
By Fenrir.Mefuki 2012-07-26 21:43:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Wow...Those are way better. Makes more sense to have the status effect match the icon and vice-versa.
 Siren.Leocon
user: Leocon
By Siren.Leocon 2012-07-26 22:08:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
I mean it's been a few days now and I still don't know what the *** these new icons are supposed to be.

(Sorry if I *** the quote up heh. I'm still more or less a lurker). Flash's looks like two strips of bacon on a plate to me... I approve of this.
 Bismarck.Meyi
By Bismarck.Meyi 2012-07-27 08:17:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I personally can't stand the new icons and I wish Square Enix would let us choose which type we wanted; oldschool, or new icons. I don't mind if other people have the icons if that's what they prefer, it's just something that is confusing the hell out of me and frustrating me as a result. :/

Also, I remember when Paralyze was yellow (earth) and slow was light blue (ice) despite Paralyze being an ice spell and Slow being an earth spell. But now Paralyze is green and I've yet to figure out why...

I also agree that they're too small to see. And they're very busy. Maybe I liked the older ones because the solid dot was less interfering with the name of the spell or job ability, and the element was very easy to distinguish. I guess my biggest complaint would have to be how busy everything is; busy icons to squished text.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Taereon
user: Halo4
By Ragnarok.Taereon 2012-07-27 09:23:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I wouldn't mind the icons if I could see a blown up version of them so I can understand what they are supposed to be. EX: Phantom Roll looks like Batman's utility belt buckle. I know Cors throw gil at enemies just like Bruce Wayne does but I doubt that's the significance of it. As of now they are just too small to know exactly what's going on. I'm talking about the JA's and Spells; it's obvious what they are doing with the weapon skill icons.
 Ragnarok.Zohnax
user: Baelfael
By Ragnarok.Zohnax 2012-07-27 09:27:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll admit some of these icons are a bit small and some are mis-colored. First spells that stuck out for me as being an issue were the Absorb-spells that have what looks like an Ice Elemental over a very hard to see Black circle background.
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2012-07-27 09:49:21
Link | Quote | Reply

It don't matter to me. I never see them anyway. Its still cntrl 3 and alt 8 and stuff, no changes at all.
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-08-03 14:21:45
Link | Quote | Reply

08-03-2012 12:59 PM
[source]
Okipuit
Community Rep

Good morning!

We have been receiving a ton of feedback on the new icons and we will be taking them into consideration moving forward as we make our UI revamps. Speaking of which, we will be continuing to add new elements such as clickable portions of the new UI, addressing the status icons, and other things, so we will we will definitely be looking into how each of them look. With that said, we imagine that addressing all of these things will take quite a bit of time.

We understand that it might be somewhat strange to only change the icons on the list first and originally it was preferred to change everything at once; however, since the amount of things to do for the new UI revamp is extremely lengthy, we will be adding and addressing portions in phases.

Look forward to all the awesome UI revamps that are coming, as we feel you will really enjoy them. We can’t wait to hear your feedback.
Subscribe
[+]
 Bahamut.Dannyl
Server: Bahamut
user: dannyl
By Bahamut.Dannyl 2012-08-03 15:07:37
Link | Quote | Reply

we will we will we will
 Valefor.Rancor
user: Rancoor
By Valefor.Rancor 2012-08-03 15:08:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Could add cool things to game... instead add new icons that dont effect game play \o.o/ modern video games strike again!
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [118 days between previous and next post]
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-11-29 11:50:21
Link | Quote | Reply

11-29-2012 04:06 AM
[BG source] [JP source]
Slycer
BG Translator

Regarding the New Icons

Hello. Sorry it's been a while!

The progress around introducing the new UI to the test server has been slower than expected, so until the time that we are planning to use the new icons, in the next version update we will be adding the ability to toggle between the old and new icons from the configuration menu.

As soon as we are aware of any progress on the new UI, we will inform you immediately, so please be patient.

Translated by: Slycer
Subscribe
First Page 2