By Siren.Kalilla 2012-05-10 16:22:02
Link | Quote | Reply

05-10-2012 08:59 AM
[source]
Camate
Community Rep

Feedback on F8 Key Targeting

Howdy!

With battle systems and styles shifting to players facing off against multiple enemies at once or having more NPCs present in battles, we feel that there is a need to tweak the target NPC feature a bit (the good ol' F8 key).

There is some talk going on discussing what aspects should be prioritized. For example, placing targeting priority on the monster, ???s, treasure caskets, etc. We’d like to know everyone’s feedback and opinions on this matter so we can continue to make the game user-friendly and enjoyable
Subscribe

Here is a suggestion made by Lakshmi.Llana:
Fixing the "F8 Target" command is long overdue! My suggestions would be:

"F8": Scroll through the nearest NPCs in range (interactive NPC-targetting).
"Alt+F8" (or "F9"): Scroll through the nearest enemies in range (Monster-specific targetting).
"Ctrl+F8" (or "F10"): Target the enemy in range with the lowest HP (Weakest Monster-specifc targetting).
"Ctrl+Alt+F8" (or "F11"): Target the current battle-target of the Party/Alliance (Battle Target, ie. /assist, targetting).

"Shift+F8" (or "F12"): Customizable targetting command. For example:

-- /assist "player name" customizable to a player name
-- Slept Monsters (engaged)
-- Awake Monsters (engaged)
-- Non-Engaged Monsters (good for sleeping a monster before it links)
-- Call-for-Help on current engaged target

05-30-2012 06:36 PM
[source]
Okipuit
Community Rep

Hey everyone!

Thanks for all the feedback regarding the F8 key! Since it seems like a majority of the opinions we received were asking for separate functions to target only players or only monsters, we will begin testing whether or not we can make this happen.

If everything goes smoothly and the results of the tests are good, we will begin looking into what keys to utilize.

There were some suggestions to use a combination of the F8 with either Ctrl or Alt, but since these keys are used to bring up the macro palette, every time you want to target something, the palettes would appear and disappear. We are just concerned that it might be difficult to see and it might take some time to operate due to the keys being far apart on the keyboard.

As we continue to improve the current system, please feel free to let us know if you have any additional feedback or suggestions regarding key binds for separating these functions.
Subscribe

06-04-2012 08:21 PM
[source]
Okipuit
Community Rep

Greetings,

We just wanted to let you know that for those of you who want to keep the original functionality of F8, development team will be taking this into consideration as they progress!
Subscribe
[+]
 Odin.Celestria
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
By Odin.Celestria 2012-05-10 17:34:42
Link | Quote | Reply

We have /targetnpc[F8] and /targetpc[F9] now.
If changes are going to be made to these keys, they should be configurable in a menu somewhere and supported with text /commands.

I'd like to see these added:
/targetenemy - Target the nearest attackable target (excludes boxes, ???, campaign "allies", non-confrontation creatures)
/targetgreennpc - Target the nearest green-named NPC. Boxes, rifts, ???, campaign tag NPC, stuff like that.

If people want a way to tab between npcs without using stnpc, new commands would be better than changing the current versions. Each of these could find the next closest target:
/scrollnpc, /scrollpc, /scrollenemy, /scrollgreennpc

When spamming /targetnpc to pop Minax Bugard, I do NOT want /targetnpc to cycle between bugards, I want it to target the closest npc (but /targetgreennpc is what I really want).
[+]
 Bahamut.Dannyl
Server: Bahamut
user: dannyl
By Bahamut.Dannyl 2012-05-10 17:35:47
Link | Quote | Reply

{/welcome back} Kalilla :D
[+]
 Bahamut.Fistandantilus
By Bahamut.Fistandantilus 2012-05-10 17:56:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Playing the game with a keyboard only, and no controller. Yuk!
[+]
By Chyula 2012-05-10 18:00:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Here is a suggestions, we don't need you to waste time fixing ***we have no demand for and call this ***part of the new content update.
 Ragnarok.Eriina
Server: Ragnarok
user: Eriina
By Ragnarok.Eriina 2012-05-10 18:09:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kalilla said: »
05-10-2012 08:59 AM
[source]
Camate
Community Rep

Feedback on F8 Key Targeting
There is some talk going on discussing what aspects should be prioritized. For example, placing targeting priority on the monster, ???s, treasure caskets, etc.
Subscribe

Make an option called "targetting" in the config menu that lists:

Monsters 1 2 3 4 off

??? 1 2 3 4 off

Treasure Caskets 1 2 3 4 off

Etc. 1 2 3 4 off

Option next to each to choose 1-4 or off. Assigning a number would grant that priority, off would ignore that target. Works for controller using player too I'd imagine.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Enuyasha
Server: Carbuncle
user: Enuyasha
By Carbuncle.Enuyasha 2012-05-10 18:14:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly, F8 should've always been for monster targeting only....the F7 key still has no use to my knowledge...so mapping all things targetable except players was stupid.
 Phoenix.Gaiarorshack
Server: Phoenix
user: MiavPigen
By Phoenix.Gaiarorshack 2012-05-11 04:53:56
Link | Quote | Reply

since imusing tab i always wanted to have

shift+ players
ctrl+ npc's
alt+tab monsters

or something like it

woudl also love a <at> for ally target like <BT> is party target

puts its SE they tend to implant anything the worst possible way
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
user: Seha
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-05-11 04:55:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Chyula said: »
Here is a suggestions, we don't need you to waste time fixing ***we have no demand for and call this ***part of the new content update.
Uh, this is useful actually.
 Phoenix.Baelorn
user: Baelorn
By Phoenix.Baelorn 2012-05-11 05:20:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Sehachan said: »
Chyula said: »
Uh, this is useful actually.

And people have been asking them to fix it for a long time.
 Fenrir.Cobblers
Server: Fenrir
user: Ntfc
By Fenrir.Cobblers 2012-05-11 05:24:50
Link | Quote | Reply

This excites me about as much as the 2012 roadmap
[+]
 Alexander.Fatmo
Server: Alexander
user: Fatmo
By Alexander.Fatmo 2012-05-11 06:16:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Maybe make non-VW mobs not targettable during VW ? A sort of /ignorepet for mobs u can't engage would probably be safe...
[+]
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
Server: Siren
user: Kalila
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-05-30 14:12:39
Link | Quote | Reply

05-30-2012 06:36 PM
[source]
Okipuit
Community Rep

Hey everyone!

Thanks for all the feedback regarding the F8 key! Since it seems like a majority of the opinions we received were asking for separate functions to target only players or only monsters, we will begin testing whether or not we can make this happen.

If everything goes smoothly and the results of the tests are good, we will begin looking into what keys to utilize.

There were some suggestions to use a combination of the F8 with either Ctrl or Alt, but since these keys are used to bring up the macro palette, every time you want to target something, the palettes would appear and disappear. We are just concerned that it might be difficult to see and it might take some time to operate due to the keys being far apart on the keyboard.

As we continue to improve the current system, please feel free to let us know if you have any additional feedback or suggestions regarding key binds for separating these functions.
Subscribe
[+]
 Bahamut.Razorback
user: Razorback
By Bahamut.Razorback 2012-05-30 14:27:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Why not have a F8/F9 toggle.

Hit F8 - allows tabbing to only choos NPCs. Hit F8 Again, goes back to tabbing all targets.
And the same with F9 or whatever.

Maybe give some chat window indicator too so you know. Or a different cursor colour.

Perhaps also make mobs you cannot interact with under VW status (or any other open field battlefield type) untargetable.

I don't have my security token on me atm so I can't post this on the official boards.
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
Server: Siren
user: Kalila
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-06-04 20:32:29
Link | Quote | Reply

06-04-2012 08:21 PM
[source]
Okipuit
Community Rep

Greetings,

We just wanted to let you know that for those of you who want to keep the original functionality of F8, development team will be taking this into consideration as they progress!
Subscribe