New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Blue Mage » The Beast Within -- A Guide to Blue Mage
The Beast Within -- A Guide to Blue Mage
First Page 2 3 ... 391 392 393 ... 445 446 447
By Pantafernando 2020-07-31 08:33:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Even a nuke tier 2 should be okish in terms of dmg.

You can try spamming cdc>cdc thundeR II for extras burst til your timer is up.

I never tried that though, but provided you can survive the entire fight, i dont see why you would fail.
By Shichishito 2020-07-31 08:48:44
Link | Quote | Reply

do you mean tier 2 nukes from subjob are okish providing enough damage during invincible to not time out or to trigger whtie !! ?

he spams invicible quite frequently, at low hp like every 10 seconds. i don't see how i'd gain tp for cdc->cdc during invincible.
 Bahamut.Jedigamer
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Jedigamer
By Bahamut.Jedigamer 2020-07-31 08:57:19
Link | Quote | Reply

geigei said: »
Bahamut.Jedigamer said: »
geigei said: »
Cohort is useless for a geared blu, maybe good for run lunge, trueflight rng.

Show me your geared Blu please

I assume you asking for nuke set and macc set, pretty standard.

ItemSet 374701 ItemSet 374702

I have basically the same sets and I saw minor nuke gains from cohort+1 R15. In your case, I'm assuming "geared Blu" is your way of saying "Blus with Orpheus sash". One day that thing will drop in NNI!
By SimonSes 2020-07-31 08:57:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Pantafernando said: »
Even a nuke tier 2 should be okish in terms of dmg.

You can try spamming cdc>cdc thundeR II for extras burst til your timer is up.

I never tried that though, but provided you can survive the entire fight, i dont see why you would fail.

I dont think you would have enough m. accuracy with elemental magic. Still Anvil is actually not at that high recast. 60sec base is not much with capped magic haste, some gear haste, some FC from traits etc. Just try to burst at invincible thresholds I guess, then add 1-2 free casts during invincible.
By SimonSes 2020-07-31 09:02:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Shichishito said: »
do you mean tier 2 nukes from subjob are okish providing enough damage during invincible to not time out or to trigger whtie !! ?

he spams invicible quite frequently, at low hp like every 10 seconds. i don't see how i'd gain tp for cdc->cdc during invincible.

It only spams invincible under 5%. Just leave some temps to get TP for skillchain+Anvil burst at 5%.

EDIT: Not a BLU, but this guide might be helpful

YouTube Video Placeholder
By Shichishito 2020-07-31 09:15:07
Link | Quote | Reply

i've watched that video, its what made me wonder if BLU could solo him, too. last time i checked NIN was considered low tier and in desperate need for a update so i wondered how BLU performs in comparison on that fight.

2 minutes in he mentions at what % hp genmei(deal with it) uses inviincible and concludes he's got 6+ minutes invincible up.
By SimonSes 2020-07-31 09:47:03
Link | Quote | Reply

last time i checked NIN was considered low tier and in desperate need for a update

In high lvl group content, not solo.
[+]
By Shichishito 2020-07-31 13:39:11
Link | Quote | Reply

wish they'd add a KI to geas fete that lets you pop NMs for free, no triggers necessary. in turn you don't get credit for the clear, no drops and beads in case you win.

would help a ton exploring new strategies.
 Asura.Darviss
Server: Asura
By Asura.Darviss 2020-07-31 14:56:56
Link | Quote | Reply

wish they'd add a KI to geas fete that lets you pop NMs for free, no triggers necessary. in turn you don't get credit for the clear, no drops and beads in case you win.

would help a ton exploring new strategies.

I'd be happy just to trade the pop items straight to the godamn ??? instead of having to get a KI.
[+]
 Asura.Lunafreya
user: Lunafreya
By Asura.Lunafreya 2020-07-31 15:16:06
Link | Quote | Reply

SimonSes said: »
last time i checked NIN was considered low tier and in desperate need for a update

In high lvl group content, not solo.

NIN needs an adjustment, full stop. That being said it is criminally neglected/underrated. People make it seem like NIN is completely unusable when it is far from that.
By eeternal 2020-08-03 08:58:28
Link | Quote | Reply

For Sanguine Blade main/sub, Tizona/Max would best?
 Carbuncle.Arakon
Server: Carbuncle
user: arakon
By Carbuncle.Arakon 2020-08-04 12:06:05
Link | Quote | Reply

eeternal said: »
For Sanguine Blade main/sub, Tizona/Max would best?

Naegling should beat Tizona on stats (Magic Damage, +INT, +MAB) for Sanguine Blade. However, Tizona aftermath will allow you to WS more often and multihit procs on WS.

Offhand Thibron (1000TP Bonus) might beat Maxentius if you are spamming it at 1000TP.
 Asura.Geriond
user: Gerion
By Asura.Geriond 2020-08-04 12:17:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Sanguine Blade doesn't scale damage on TP, so Thibron is useless.
[+]
By eeternal 2020-08-04 12:20:06
Link | Quote | Reply

yeah agree with Geriond.. I'd prefer using Tizona for AM.. and just in case I wanted to use Expiation occasionally for sc.. so I guess still Tizona/Max?
 Asura.Cicion
user: cicion
By Asura.Cicion 2020-08-04 12:30:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Can you multihit/attack on magic WSs? Didn't know that was a thing.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-08-04 12:37:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Cicion said: »
Can you multihit/attack on magic WSs?
No.

Only modifiers are the fTP, fStat, MAB/Macc.

You can resist, you can do double damage if the mob is super weak to it, and you can hit for zero or even heal the mob if they are either completely resistant or absorbs that element.

But you cannot MA it.
[+]
 Asura.Geriond
user: Gerion
By Asura.Geriond 2020-08-04 13:11:59
Link | Quote | Reply

WSDMG, elemental affinity, magic damage+, and weather/day are also modifiers.
[+]
 Sylph.Brahmsz
Server: Sylph
user: Khronos
By Sylph.Brahmsz 2020-08-09 07:51:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey, are the White Wind sets on the front page still current? Was curious if there were any updated sets beyond the sets already listed.
 Leviathan.Isiolia
Server: Leviathan
user: Isiolia
By Leviathan.Isiolia 2020-08-09 08:05:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Brahmsz said: »
Hey, are the White Wind sets on the front page still current? Was curious if there were any updated sets beyond the sets already listed.

Front page is a bit out of date in general, but I'm not sure if there are particularly current sets listed together.

Several folks posted their current White Wind sets back on page 381.
[+]
 Sylph.Oraen
user: Gaztastic
By Sylph.Oraen 2020-08-09 09:21:02
Link | Quote | Reply

As of a couple weeks ago, I decided to come back to the game, and I've been catching up on some of the newer gear that I'd missed since January 2019. I was in the process of getting text, weapon descriptions, and gearsets updated, but some recent family medical news is going to keep me from that for a bit.

I appreciate everyone's patience over this last year and a half, and a large thanks to everyone for keeping the thread clean, helpful, and welcoming all this time.

I'll do my best to get everything current as soon as I'm able.

Cheers.
[+]
 Sylph.Brahmsz
user: Khronos
By Sylph.Brahmsz 2020-08-09 15:25:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Isiolia said: »
Sylph.Brahmsz said: »

Front page is a bit out of date in general, but I'm not sure if there are particularly current sets listed together.

Several folks posted their current White Wind sets back on page 381.

Thank you for pointing me towards that page! Appreciated.
By Shichishito 2020-08-11 00:29:39
Link | Quote | Reply

regarding subtle blow and BLU:
afaik BLU doesn't get any subtle blow II so subtle blow 50% is our limit unless we have a SMN with siren favor in pt?
do you only need to incorporate subtle blow equipment into your engaged sets or also WS sets? what about casting sets?

reaving wind and feather tickle:
reaving wind is -1000 TP according to bgwiki, a flat value. what about feather tickle? the wiki says "Reduces TP by ~100% without correlation bonuses."
to me that reads as if the mob had 3000 TP and i land feather tickle he'd be back at 0 TP. i'm a bit sceptical if thats the case, whats the catch? does it never land? is it -100 TP flat value from back when TP was counted 0-300, like if a mob had 3000 TP he'd have 2900 after feather tickle landed?

plague from BLU spells:
-Delta Thrust
ingame description says "additional effect: disease" while the wiki says its a -6 MP/tic and -100 TP/tic plague, what is correct? is there any chance to land it reliably on Notorious Monsters? do you need to use chain affinity or efflux for a chance/higher chance to land the additonal effect? i assume there is always a chance to land it since sudden lunges stun can also land without CA/efflux but does it increase the chance?

-cesspool
no info about it on the wikis, gobbo posted earlier in this thread on page 201:
Quote:
So haven't seen this posted.
Cesspool: -100 TP/tick, -8 MP/tick Plague
Duration: 1min
if those values are correct the tp/tic is the same as delta thrust, even the duration is a complete disappointment? is that a bug?
By Draylo 2020-08-11 00:34:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Probably SE's form of "balancing" because its AOE. So many dinky spells that need updates.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-08-11 00:54:57
Link | Quote | Reply

afaik BLU doesn't get any subtle blow II so subtle blow 50%

Every job has access to 25 Subtle Blow II via Su5 weapon Path B, including BLU (Zomorrodnegar), so 75 SB is attainable for most jobs. It's not Tizona by any means, but it's going to be a decent weapon with the FUA+50% trait.

Here's a set I drew up a while ago I never got around to finishing in-game, which is basically minimal gear sacrifices:

ItemSet 370628

Wristbands Path D Subtle Blow +8

do you only need to incorporate subtle blow equipment into your engaged sets or also WS sets? what about casting sets?

You would need Subtle Blow in every set to maintain it's effects on the monster.
[+]
By Shichishito 2020-08-11 01:04:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
Every job has access to 25 Subtle Blow II via Su5 weapon Path B, including BLU (Zomorrodnegar), so 75 SB is attainable for most jobs. It's not Tizona by any means, but it's going to be a decent weapon with the FUA+50% trait.
true, but its a little bit pricy for experimental purposes and i read you can't even switch path later on.
i think MNK and NIN get subtle blow II gear, they don't need to rely on SU5 weapon, thats what i ment.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-08-11 01:14:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Ninja gets a total of zero Subtle Blow II gear (not even Sherida Earring), so it is in the exact same boat as other light DD jobs (DNC, THF, BLU). The advantages NIN gets to subtle blow is it has Myoshu: Ichi, which is +10 Subtle Blow. Yurin: ichi, which is like a weaker version of Penance has inhibits 10% Inhibit TP, but even that's not a great advantage because NIN will usually attack an extra time with Daken, and it's probably close to being comparable to Delta Thrust if you can reliably land it. True, NIN has access to Su3 set which is loaded with SB, but they already cap it easily in all sets, so that's not much of an advantage either. And if NIN uses a Su5, they greatly gimp their already weak dps.

Monk has the godly levels of Subtle Blow /TP feed mitigation, but no other jobs can match that. The other jobs can equally match each other.
By Shichishito 2020-08-11 01:48:48
Link | Quote | Reply

i thought there was some piece with SB II for NIN but i guess i was mistaken. however NIN has shadows to deny the mob TP, that helps too.

i figured you'll have to spam feather tickle, reaving wind and delta thrust so you might need tizona for MP management.

ItemSet 374862

with that build you reach 49% subtle blow, add sarissapho. belt if you want that last %. you could also drop the expeditious pinion and replace bathy choker +1 with clotharious torque for 35% SB, sub /NIN or /MNK and you should also reach cap.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-08-11 02:26:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I play both ninja and blue mage just about the same for similar solo tasks, and I can say it's pretty much the same for both jobs in terms of tp mitigation. BLU has sudden lunge and occultation, which both deny tp to the enemy, the same as ninja has enfeebles and lots of shadows to reduce any tp gain from the enemy swinging. Ninja shadows are superior to occultation blink, but it's essentially the same function.

I think if you really wanted, you could set up a rotation of spells to cut tp generation on blue.

Sudden lunge
Reaving Wind (probably the best spell to use)
Delta thrust
Light of Penance
Feather Tickle (I think the tp reduction from this spell is around 100tp, not 100% as in full tp)
By Shichishito 2020-08-11 11:14:40
Link | Quote | Reply

sudden lunge stun doesn't land on anything outside fodder in my experience, don't know how much the JSE neck would change that, even if it lands, its only of use for the first 2-3 casts, afterwards the stun wears instantly.

if light of penance and feather tickle only reduce tp by 100 then you could argue its not worth to cast it.

is there a way to know mobs TP so you can time the best moment for reaving wind?
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-08-11 11:21:27
Link | Quote | Reply

sudden lunge stun doesn't land on anything outside fodder in my experience
It lands on W1-W2 NMs in Dyanmis D.

It's very helpful for stun locking NINs from blowing up.

Edit: Hell, it can be very helpful for any NM that has troublesome SP abilities, such as Invincible, Perfect Dodge, Hundred Fists (even if it goes off, stun locking still prevents it from actually doing anything) etc.

It also helps with the mobs themselves being a pain, like Orc. Counterstance for Orcs, Goblin Dice/Frypan for Gobbies, and Doom for Yags.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 391 392 393 ... 445 446 447