2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Blue Mage » The Beast Within -- A Guide to Blue Mage
The Beast Within -- A Guide to Blue Mage
First Page 2 3 ... 198 199 200 ... 446 447 448
By Takisan 2015-09-18 09:35:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Mahayaya said: »
Those new Apex mobs are insane. Cruel Joke would actually be useful for them if you could land it due to the insane HP they have. Gather > Entomb > Cruel Joke > Dream Flower > Get JPs.

Takes so long to kill them with just Subduction spam. An alternative way to AoE camp them would be to have 6 or so BLUs and gather lots of mobs up and spam Entomb. Pretty safe way of killing them aside from the trouble of gathering them.

Also, the one minute duration on Gust really sucks :/

Yea I was thinking dream flower > cruel joke > entomb or something, but I am almost positive SE will not allow a mob doomed to be slept or maybe even petri. It would be an awesome oversight if they do, so I'll test with mortal ray.

Edit: Well Mortal ray > dream flower works on a Blanched mandy! So does entomb. I am surprised. I imagine you would need ridiculous amounts of magic acc to pull this off. Maybe even a geo for magic acc and magic evade down. Lol we prolly gonna get nerfed if this works but entomb > Cruel joke > entomb until they dead should keep them petrified.
 Bahamut.Enkidou
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: jamisont
By Bahamut.Enkidou 2015-09-18 10:58:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry if this was already stated. Would the NQ Adhemar body and hands and NQ Carmine feet still better than the high tier TP set?

EDIT: Same question goes for the Amalric set.
 Bismarck.Laurelli
Server: Bismarck
user: ltantonio
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2015-09-18 11:25:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Takisan said: »
Edit: Well Mortal ray > dream flower works on a Blanched mandy! So does entomb. I am surprised. I imagine you would need ridiculous amounts of magic acc to pull this off. Maybe even a geo for magic acc and magic evade down. Lol we prolly gonna get nerfed if this works but entomb > Cruel joke > entomb until they dead should keep them petrified.

They will not nerf it. I'm sure less that 20 blu's across all servers will ever have the spells and gear to pull this off.
By Takisan 2015-09-18 11:43:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Laurelli said: »

They will not nerf it. I'm sure less that 20 blu's across all servers will ever have the spells and gear to pull this off.

Yea the one thing I love about blu is you actually need a fair amount of dedication and knowledge to be good at it, which kind of gives us more "job security" than say bst against band-wagoners. I laugh when people ask me the best spells to get because each spell adds to your versatility and each time you go out to learn a spell you learn how to use that versatility to gain the advantage.
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
Server: Caitsith
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2015-09-18 12:01:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Wonder if Cruel Joke will have a little more macc in it since it's a UL spell? Can't be worse than 1000 Needles at least?
 Bismarck.Laurelli
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2015-09-18 12:09:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Yea the one thing I love about blu is you actually need a fair amount of dedication and knowledge to be good at it, which kind of gives us more "job security" than say bst against band-wagoners. I laugh when people ask me the best spells to get because each spell adds to your versatility and each time you go out to learn a spell you learn how to use that versatility to gain the advantage.

When people ask me what spells to get, I say always say "All." Then they think I'm being elitist. But I'm not. I'm just giving the correct answer to their question.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Ninjaface
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Ninjaface
By Quetzalcoatl.Ninjaface 2015-09-18 12:25:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Floppyseconds said: »

When people ask me what spells to get, I say always say "All." Then they think I'm being elitist. But I'm not. I'm just giving the correct answer to their question.

When people ask me I say just the ones you need.

Because hydroshot never has had a use, and likely never will. Same for crashing thunder, etc.

I say the same thing. You look at the traits you want to have and the situation specific oh ***buttons and build the list of needed spells from that. Some of our spells are absolutely worthless and by extension a waste of time to get.
 Bismarck.Laurelli
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2015-09-18 12:36:51
Link | Quote | Reply

If you say "The ones you need" then they will ask "which are they." And you will find yourself holding their hand the whole way. Say "all" and let them look up the spells themselves and figure out the order they will get them in.
This, in turn will make them into better blus. And when you're good at something, you tend to like it more.
If someone loves blu, they will get the useless spells too, just because.
 Sylph.Gobbo
Server: Sylph
user: Gobbo
By Sylph.Gobbo 2015-09-18 13:00:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Whoever thought they could play the system and Cruel Joke your way to capped CP, think again. Tested it earlier on Apex Toads/Jagils and got No Effect across the board. SE got the last laugh on this one.

Post deleted by User.
 Sylph.Oraen
user: Gaztastic
By Sylph.Oraen 2015-09-18 13:02:26
Link | Quote | Reply

And I was literally just swapping back to BLU to go out and test. If I wasn't already capped I would have been a little disappointed.
 Quetzalcoatl.Ninjaface
By Quetzalcoatl.Ninjaface 2015-09-18 13:03:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Gobbo said: »
Whoever thought they could play the system and Cruel Joke your way to capped CP, think again. Tested it earlier on Apex Toads/Jagils and got No Effect across the board. SE got the last laugh on this one.

IDK how that would be faster than cleaving. Are the apex mobs worth much more JP or something?
 Quetzalcoatl.Ninjaface
By Quetzalcoatl.Ninjaface 2015-09-18 13:05:13
Link | Quote | Reply

If you say "The ones you need" then they will ask "which are they." And you will find yourself holding their hand the whole way. Say "all" and let them look up the spells themselves and figure out the order they will get them in.
This, in turn will make them into better blus. And when you're good at something, you tend to like it more.
If someone loves blu, they will get the useless spells too, just because.

It helps them be a better BLU. Which is sorely needed. having all the spells doesn't help you decide which spells you need to set for which tasks/roles. I love BLU, but there is no way I am going out to learn every single spell. I just don't have that time. I don't even have all of my UL spells.
 Sylph.Oraen
By Sylph.Oraen 2015-09-18 13:05:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Massively more. Highest I saw was 70k CP per kill.

These could still be viable cleaving targets if you bring enough well-geared BLUs, I'm betting.
[+]
 Sylph.Gobbo
By Sylph.Gobbo 2015-09-18 13:06:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Ninjaface said: »

IDK how that would be faster than cleaving. Are the apex mobs worth much more JP or something?

They are significantly better, and seeing how many of them are actually down there... it wouldn't be hard at all to grab all of them and Sleepga > Cruel Joke.
[+]
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2015-09-18 13:06:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Lots more CP and they have 100k-150k HP, good luck cleaving that solo...
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Ninjaface
By Quetzalcoatl.Ninjaface 2015-09-18 13:07:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Oraen said: »
Massively more. Highest I saw was 70k CP per kill.

These could still be viable cleaving targets if you bring enough well-geared BLUs, I'm betting.
OK. That makes much more sense. Think these might bring back merit style partying, or are they going to just be for the top geared elite(which I most certainly am not, at the moment)?
 Quetzalcoatl.Ninjaface
By Quetzalcoatl.Ninjaface 2015-09-18 13:08:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I wasn't talking about cleaving those mobs. I meant more along the lines of would cruel joke on those mobs be better than cleaving previous cleaving targets(in the hypothetical scenario where someone has enough Macc to stick cruel joke reliably).
 Sylph.Oraen
By Sylph.Oraen 2015-09-18 13:09:24
Link | Quote | Reply

You definitely need good gear, but these new mobs are very "merit party" friendly. I think that BLU can get quicker CP while cleaving, but I've only ever fought those mobs while solo. If you have enough DDs and nukers for bursts, they might be the best option.
 Sylph.Gobbo
By Sylph.Gobbo 2015-09-18 13:10:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, I noticed that too. ~10k Pulse brought it to like 93% and that was only on one of them. Had some hefty resists on the single time I nuked so you'd definitely need to gear more for M.Acc. Not like you'd cleave these anyways, there are way better Apex mobs to Manaburn.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
Server: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2015-09-18 13:25:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Re: advising people on spell acquisition, I think a good suggestion as a starting point is to say:

1) "All of the lv99 non-UL spells." This gives a ton of awesome traits and spells, and is 90% of what you'll realistically ever need.
2) For UL, Mighty Guard! (before this update I'd have said Harden Shell and CV as the priorities)
3) Supplement that with some of the staple utility spells and additional set point spellss: Cocoon, Sleeps, Winds of Promy, Battery Charge, Magic Hammer, some cures. And make sure you have enough spells to set appropriate traits (24+ points minimum for DW, 16 points of DA, a collection of MAB trait spells).

That pretty much covers everything needed to be a really effective BLU. Other than a handful of utility/set point spells, you really don't NEED most of the level 90 and lower spells for anything other than Abyssea/VW procs. Go back and fill them in for completion's sake, sure! But nobody gives a damn if you have... IDK, Lowing or Flying Hip Press. They're utterly useless for anything but the pride of completing your BLU. Which DOES mean something to me... but that's one of those things you can get in spare time when you're got nothing to do, and certainly shouldn't slow your ability to gear your BLU to be a meaningful contributor for current content.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Odin.Llewelyn
Server: Odin
user: Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2015-09-18 13:52:02
Link | Quote | Reply

No one able to determine the MDef down with my numbers yet? :[
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2015-09-18 13:59:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Since this is a frequent problem, here you go:

Absolutely Necessary
Absolutely Necessary Trait Spells

Cocoon
Sickle Slash
Blank Gaze
Tail Slap
Magic Fruit
Acrid Stream
Yawn
Animating Wail
Saline Coat
Blazing Bound
Magic Hammer
Quad. Continuum
Regeneration
Fantod
Battery Charge
Empty Thrash
Magic Barrier
Delta Thrust
Whirl of Rage
Mortal Ray
Dream Flower
Heavy Strike
Occultation
Barbed Crescent
Winds of Promy.
Thrashing Assault
Barrier Tusk
Diffusion Ray
White Wind
Molting Plumage
Sudden Lunge
Nat. Meditation
Glutinous Dart
Retinal Glare
Carcharian Verve
Erratic Flutter
Subduction
Sinker Drill
Sweeping Gouge
Searing Tempest
Blinding Fulgor
Spectral Floe
Scouring Spate
Anvil Lightning
Silent Storm
Entomb
Tenebral Crush
Mighty Guard

Nice to Have[/u]
Nice to Have Trait Spells

Sheep Song
Battle Dance
MP Drainkiss
Sound Blast
Frightful Roar
Uppercut
Memento Mori
Frenetic Rip
Infrasonics
Spinal Cleave
Zephyr Mantle
Disseverment
Diamondhide
Goblin Rush
Amplification
Vanity Dive
Temporal Shift
Evryone. Grudge
Actinic Burst
Quadrastrike
Benthic Typhoon
Paralyzing Triad
Thermal Pulse
Palling Salvo
Charged Whisker
Reaving Wind
Thunderbolt
Embalming Earth
Restoral
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2015-09-18 14:00:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Llewelyn said: »
No one able to determine the MDef down with my numbers yet? :[

1/(243/170) = 0.7

= -30 MDB
[+]
 Sylph.Oraen
By Sylph.Oraen 2015-09-18 14:03:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
Since this is a frequent problem, here you go:

Absolutely Necessary
Absolutely Necessary Trait Spells

Cocoon
Sickle Slash
Blank Gaze
Tail Slap
Magic Fruit
Acrid Stream
Yawn
Animating Wail
Saline Coat
Blazing Bound
Magic Hammer
Quad. Continuum
Regeneration
Fantod
Battery Charge
Empty Thrash
Magic Barrier
Delta Thrust
Whirl of Rage
Mortal Ray
Dream Flower
Heavy Strike
Occultation
Barbed Crescent
Winds of Promy.
Thrashing Assault
Barrier Tusk
Diffusion Ray
White Wind
Molting Plumage
Sudden Lunge
Nat. Meditation
Glutinous Dart
Retinal Glare
Carcharian Verve
Erratic Flutter
Subduction
Sinker Drill
Sweeping Gouge
Searing Tempest
Blinding Fulgor
Spectral Floe
Scouring Spate
Anvil Lightning
Silent Storm
Entomb
Tenebral Crush
Mighty Guard

Nice to Have[/u]
Nice to Have Trait Spells

Sheep Song
Battle Dance
MP Drainkiss
Sound Blast
Frightful Roar
Uppercut
Memento Mori
Frenetic Rip
Infrasonics
Spinal Cleave
Zephyr Mantle
Disseverment
Diamondhide
Goblin Rush
Amplification
Vanity Dive
Temporal Shift
Evryone. Grudge
Actinic Burst
Quadrastrike
Benthic Typhoon
Paralyzing Triad
Thermal Pulse
Palling Salvo
Charged Whisker
Reaving Wind
Thunderbolt
Embalming Earth
Restoral

Adding this to OP so it never needs to be asked again.
 Odin.Llewelyn
Server: Odin
user: Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2015-09-18 14:03:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Yay. My lazy math was right.
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2015-09-18 14:05:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Wish I could +10 for not putting Plenilune Embrace on any of those lists. Why do you keep setting that spell people?!
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2015-09-18 14:07:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Tearing Wind should have limited applications, so add it in the pile with Verve and Guard.

Won't be valuable for most things, but if you're doing heavy AoE pulls and for some reason won't be able to oneshot them, this should help (Apex mobs if you actually try that, for example).

For single target magic damage I don't see many applications unless you're doing a strange lowman setup. BLMs, SCHs, and SMNs will be taking up your DD slots in a magic heavy setup since BLU still can't really match them for single target magic damage output, so your opportunities to put Tearing up on something like this will be so few and far between that it's almost not even worth considering.

Could be used sort of Defensively, i.e. pop it before a Sanguine Blade, but the amount of extra HP you'd get (if any at all, considering SB should already be topping you off for the most part) wouldn't outweigh the defensive benefits of MG.

Good spell, it matches a max geared non-Idris GEO, but won't have very many applications. Mighty Guard is just too good.
First Page 2 3 ... 198 199 200 ... 446 447 448