users online
Forum » FFXI » General » [Dev] Head equipment display toggle
[Dev] Head equipment display toggle
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
By Odin.Zicdeh 2012-04-13 11:51:21
Link | Quote | Reply

7 years after the Optical Hat, and this is just now on the drawing board? "Too Little, too late" would understate the understatement that this particular phrase would be an understatement to.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Alryc
Server: Lakshmi
user: Alryc
By Lakshmi.Alryc 2012-04-13 11:57:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Hm,but what about gear like Vermillion or Twilight Cloak which both come with hoods but aren't head gear?

Also, people complain too much. This is a common option in other MMOs. I was suprirsed it wasn't in the game to begin with. Yes there are other things SE should probably pay attention to but when have we ever counted on them to get ish done on our schedule? It's nothing new, just enjoy the small "update" and *** less about something you're aware of.
 Fenrir.Camiie
Server: Fenrir
user: Camiie
By Fenrir.Camiie 2012-04-13 12:13:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Alryc said: »
Hm,but what about gear like Vermillion or Twilight Cloak which both come with hoods but aren't head gear?

Camate actually covers that:

"With this feature, there will most likely be requests to make it possible to toggle the hoods on tunic type equipment up and down, but the system for the graphics of these equipment differ from regular head gear which would require additional graphics data, so it will not be possible to do this."
[+]
 Lakshmi.Alryc
user: Alryc
By Lakshmi.Alryc 2012-04-13 13:07:43
Link | Quote | Reply

So I'm guessing that means these items would remain unaffected by the toggle option.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2012-04-13 13:17:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Complete waste of resources.

The game has done without this for years so why devote resources this crap when the game is already short handed on staff and more important things could use attention?
[+]
 Shiva.Damonz
Server: Shiva
user: Damonz
By Shiva.Damonz 2012-04-13 13:23:52
Link | Quote | Reply

so we're getting things just because other games have them? in that case I want to be able to jump over pixels that I should be able to just walk over in the first place >.>
[+]
 Siren.Stunx
Server: Siren
user: Bungie
By Siren.Stunx 2012-04-13 13:23:56
Link | Quote | Reply

nice they take even more from WoW.

SE has had atleast 1 wow knock off idea every update since aby came out starting with manashield. the last was the final chapter being made to be like a "raid", 3 mini bosses then a main boss lol, and atleast a dozen other things in between.

I guess if ur gonna jack ideas from other games, might as well be the one with the most subscribers lol

next will be the ability to add visual look of any old gear you already have to a peice of newer gear so that we may play dress up even better.

Shiva.Damonz said: »
so we're getting things just because other games have them? in that case I want to be able to jump over pixels that I should be able to just walk over in the first place >.>

I agree, we need jump lol. mounts would be nice too, starting with the choco whistles being insta cast and no cooldown as well as using in more zones. SE "balance" could be kicking you off if you get aggro/hit.
 Shiva.Keyera
user: Keyera
By Shiva.Keyera 2012-04-13 13:34:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Stunx said: »
I agree, we need jump lol. mounts would be nice too, starting with the choco whistles being insta cast and no cooldown as well as using in more zones. SE "balance" could be kicking you off if you get aggro.

If i see people jumping around aimlessly like the idiots in WoW, heads will be split. Though the jump system in FFXIII would generate no complaints from me, lol.

instacast chocobos would be fine, might actually make raising one worth it. Any other mount would be too far.
[+]
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
user: Kalila
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-04-13 13:41:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Lizard mount...

Fafnir mount...

Drg's mounting their wyverns.... >.>

Shinryu mount o.o!

lol >.>;...
By Gimp 2012-04-13 13:47:48
Link | Quote | Reply

fatso fargann mount.

and lol @ taking updates so seriously some things are just as good as they're going to get, it's sad I know but I can't say I'm expecting much from updates honestly, just ride the gravy train as long as you can
 Ragnarok.Kongming
Server: Ragnarok
user: koumei
By Ragnarok.Kongming 2012-04-13 13:53:37
Link | Quote | Reply

I got the point of them adding this in FFXIV. Designing your own head was the best part of the game, before the trashfest started. Having it covered up by ill-designed headgear added insult to injury, so of course people wanted their heads to be seen.

But this game? Casting away seldom used models (lolFelv), there are a whopping total of like 30 unique heads in this game. I think we'd do best not knowing most of us look exactly like everyone else on the server.
 Cerberus.Denaub
Server: Cerberus
user: Denaub
By Cerberus.Denaub 2012-04-13 13:53:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kalilla said: »
Lizard mount...

Fafnir mount...

Shinryu mount o.o!

lol >.>;...

I'd trade my chocobo in for a sheep any day! Kinda like the one in the chocobo circuit race rank with the quadavs.
 Shiva.Keyera
user: Keyera
By Shiva.Keyera 2012-04-13 13:54:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kalilla said: »
Lizard mount...

Fafnir mount...

Shinryu mount o.o!

lol >.>;...

The day i see players in final fantasies riding wyverns and dragons that are NOT transsexual (*cough* kuja) will be the day that I officially dont want to live on this planet anymore =P

Gimp said: »
fatso fargann mount.

and lol @ taking updates so seriously some things are just as good as they're going to get, it's sad I know but I can't say I'm expecting much from updates honestly, just ride the gravy train as long as you can

And speculation is fun =(
By Gimp 2012-04-13 13:58:32
Link | Quote | Reply

my comment was more directed at the first page than the speculation, SE has a haphazard streak of success with what they choose to "fix" or "implement" vs priorities.
 Fenrir.Caladbolg
By Fenrir.Caladbolg 2012-04-13 14:00:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Full-timing dandy specs...
[+]
 Lakshmi.Jesi
user: Jesi
By Lakshmi.Jesi 2012-04-13 14:07:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I have thought of a way to keep the FFXI theme while letting people dress how they want to.

They implement an enchanter who when you take two pieces of gear to him, he can imprint the style on to the other set of gear.

Let's say you love how the original set of Warrior AF looks, but the stats are horrible.

You take your pimp gear to him along with the AF. The NPC then imprints the style of the AF on to your pimp gear.

When people examine you, they will see the pimp gear. But on your character it will look like you are in full AF gear.

It still fits with the FFXI theme and you can look how you want.

I always thought it was stupid that there are all of these cool styles of armor out there that you never see because people have to look how the stats on their gear dictate. It's just a waste of the artists talents imo.
[+]
 Siren.Stunx
By Siren.Stunx 2012-04-13 15:08:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jesi said: »
I have thought of a way to keep the FFXI theme while letting people dress how they want to.

They implement an enchanter who when you take two pieces of gear to him, he can imprint the style on to the other set of gear.

Let's say you love how the original set of Warrior AF looks, but the stats are horrible.

You take your pimp gear to him along with the AF. The NPC then imprints the style of the AF on to your pimp gear.

When people examine you, they will see the pimp gear. But on your character it will look like you are in full AF gear.

It still fits with the FFXI theme and you can look how you want.

I always thought it was stupid that there are all of these cool styles of armor out there that you never see because people have to look how the stats on their gear dictate. It's just a waste of the artists talents imo.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Transmogrification

pretty much what i said about SE future ideas to jack from WoW.

next will be the ability to add visual look of any old gear you already have to a peice of newer gear so that we may play dress up even better.
By Moonwalkerv 2012-04-13 15:43:13
Link | Quote | Reply

^ Seems like you prefer WOW to FF... Do you really think that wow was the first game to ever think that up?
 Shiva.Galbir
user: galbir
By Shiva.Galbir 2012-04-13 15:46:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jesi said: »
Let's say you love how the original set of Warrior AF looks
[+]
 Leviathan.Erang
Server: Leviathan
user: Erang
By Leviathan.Erang 2012-04-13 15:48:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Funny, equally so to the time they made Sneak Attack work from the front. Gosh, that was fun.
 Siren.Stunx
By Siren.Stunx 2012-04-13 16:18:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Moonwalkerv said: »
^ Seems like you prefer WOW to FF... Do you really think that wow was the first game to ever think that up?

I dont prefer wow, im just aware of the facts and origins. ffxi > all MMO's to me. WoW is full of instant gratification and overall a much easier game. and as far as I know WoW was the 1st successful game to do move old gear models on to new ones for a more customized appearance(which is prolly too hard for SE to even add anytime soon) as well as various other aspects of ffxi that were implemented since the arrival of abyssea and this threads topic. please correct me if im wrong, facts > assumption.

back to topic though, weather or not this idea is original its a decent one to add and I think has the potential to be a stepping stone for something allot better.
By Moonwalkerv 2012-04-13 16:23:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Moonwalkerv said: »
I dont prefer wow, im just aware of the facts and origins. ffxi > all MMO's to me. WoW is full of instant gratification and overall a much easier game. and as far as I know WoW was the 1st successful game to do move old gear models on to new ones for a more customized appearance(which is prolly too hard for SE to even add anytime soon) as well as various other aspects of ffxi that were implemented since the arrival of abyssea and this threads topic. please correct me if im wrong, I dont think you can though.

lol are just trying to have an arguement with someone? That's not the point I was trying to make at all.

My point was do you think wow was the first to come up with that idea?

If FF brings this idea in they have as much right to do so without complaints of stealing as much as they do to have characters using swords or magic just because another game has it also.
 Siren.Stunx
By Siren.Stunx 2012-04-13 16:24:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Im just saying I think you assuming that wow wasnt the 1st to do it, when in actuality it was.

like i said in my previous post, if SE gonna jack ideas from other games, atleast its from the one with the most subscribers but I def do not prefer wow to ffxi lol.

as far as ur point goes, I dont think it, I know it.
By Moonwalkerv 2012-04-13 16:52:26
Link | Quote | Reply

So wow was the first game ever, in the history of games to have gear that you can change the appearance of on your character?

Righto mate.
 Leviathan.Catnipthief
Server: Leviathan
user: Fyyvoaa
By Leviathan.Catnipthief 2012-04-13 16:57:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Im just saying I think you assuming that wow wasnt the 1st to do it, when in actuality it was.

like i said in my previous post, if SE gonna jack ideas from other games, atleast its from the one with the most subscribers but I def do not prefer wow to ffxi lol.

as far as ur point goes, I dont think it, I know it.

can't tell if serious... or just stupid. :|
[+]
 Asura.Shylaa
Server: Asura
user: Shylaa
By Asura.Shylaa 2012-04-13 16:59:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Kids dont know anything past a month ago anymore. For most kids, WoW is the only MMO out there.
[+]
 Bahamut.Phelence
Server: Bahamut
user: Spainmail
By Bahamut.Phelence 2012-04-13 17:41:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said: »
7 years after the Optical Hat, and this is just now on the drawing board? "Too Little, too late" would understate the understatement that this particular phrase would be an understatement to.

Turban
[+]
 Fenrir.Schutz
user: Schutz
By Fenrir.Schutz 2012-04-13 17:49:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said: »

I personally think looking like Daffy Duck all these years was a rather stylish choice, myself. >.>
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [55 days between previous and next post]
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
user: Kalila
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-06-07 14:14:47
Link | Quote | Reply

06-07-2012 02:09 PM
[source]
Camate
Community Rep

Greetings!

I have some good news for all of you!

The development team has been working on a text command based toggle head gear ON/OFF feature and we are planning to implement this in the June version update.

There were a lot of requests for a configuration based setting and we looked into this, but since this involved UI alteration we will only be adding the text command version.

By toggling your head gear display ON/OFF, the visual display will be reflected for both yourself and others who see your character. (There will be no visual changes for tunics and other similar gear that restrict you from equipping head armor.)
Subscribe
 Ramuh.Laffter
Server: Ramuh
user: Rocketpop
By Ramuh.Laffter 2012-06-07 14:16:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Never gonna use it cuz I'm a taru and all hats look good on us.
[+]