Random Question Thread (FFXI Related)

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Random Question thread (FFXI related)
Random Question thread (FFXI related)
First Page 2 3 ... 683 684 685 ... 831 832 833
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-01-03 20:03:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Mahayaya said: »
Asura.Eiryl said: »
Another one. So uh, does Magic Def Bonus actually work and/or cap?

It seems like Magus roll doesn't do ***. Or maybe it's that, that's broken. If I understand it right ( I don't fully) getting a 30 MDB roll is equivalent to some amount of MDT and it sure as hell doesn't seem to do that. Not any hard evidence or anything just eyeballing magic damage still seems the samish even with magus roll (without taking about trying to evade said magic)

Now, obviously, I understand magic damage is "randomish" but

I guess if he has a thousand MAB... -32 is literally nothing, but isn't that unrealistic?

if this is the case, then GEO-Fend does jack ***as well

Maybe anecdotal but GEO-Fend from Idris GEO was game changing on Kyou's 25% and below phase (meteor spam). Made a huge difference.

Also,, I've noticed some funky things about that one Unity NM, the nukes can be ridiculous from it. And the resist rates could cause inconsistent results of course.
If a mobs MAB is lower then MDB would matter more. I would assume that koryou has lower mab, Centurio is a BLM for sure etc

100 - 30 = 30 MDT
1000 - 30 = 3 MDT

If I understand it correctly... however there's no way to know a mobs MAB
 Sylph.Brahmsz
Server: Sylph
user: Khronos
By Sylph.Brahmsz 2021-01-03 21:39:42
Link | Quote | Reply

It seems like Magus roll doesn't do ***. Or maybe it's that, that's broken. If I understand it right ( I don't fully) getting a 30 MDB roll is equivalent to some amount of MDT and it sure as hell doesn't seem to do that. Not any hard evidence or anything just eyeballing magic damage still seems the samish even with magus roll (without taking about trying to evade said magic)

I guess if he has a thousand MAB... -32 is literally nothing, but isn't that unrealistic?

Maybe anecdotal but GEO-Fend from Idris GEO was game changing on Kyou's 25% and below phase (meteor spam). Made a huge difference.

Also,, I've noticed some funky things about that one Unity NM, the nukes can be ridiculous from it. And the resist rates could cause inconsistent results of course.
If a mobs MAB is lower then MDB would matter more. I would assume that koryou has lower mab, Centurio is a BLM for sure etc

100 - 30 = 30 MDT
1000 - 30 = 3 MDT

The roll could be borked, but also, as Maha mentioned Centurio probably isn't the best target to test that on. Centurio's MAB jacks up to insane levels: I've been hit for 6~7K nukes during Manafont... on RUN...

To answer the question though: MAB/MDB don't have a known cap.

Edit: I remember looking it up a while back and bg explaining it as a ratio (100 + MAB)/(100 + MDB), and +32 may not mean much given though screenshots in this case.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-01-03 21:41:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Wasn't testing, just annoyed that it seemed to do absolutely nothing lol

Vex Attune still randomly get assraped, so wanted to try magus/fend/fade

I mean it's how evasion works, still 5% chance, on 50 fights, it's gonna happen, so just wanted to take out the 5%
 Asura.Geriond
user: Gerion
By Asura.Geriond 2021-01-03 21:50:19
Link | Quote | Reply

100 - 30 = 30 MDT
1000 - 30 = 3 MDT

MAB gets divided by MDB, not subtracted.

100/(100+30) = 76.9 (76.9% of original damage)
1000/(100+30) = 769 (76.9% of original damage)
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-01-03 21:54:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Then magus roll just doesn't work, and no one knows cause no one uses it
Edit; It works, but it may cap

This is a ***test, but I'm lazy, and it shows it caps. Dunna Fend is 40 MDB and Magus was 36 MDB damage was only cut 40%

For Centurio the gear already has 34 MDB on it (kenda +1) so... magus and fend accomplish essentially nothing? All new i119 already has damn near 40 MDB on it basically.
 Asura.Geriond
By Asura.Geriond 2021-01-03 22:47:28
Link | Quote | Reply

With +34 MDB in gear, adding 76 more MDB should be a percentage reduction of 1 - (134/210) = -36.2%, which would round a 10 damage spell to 6.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-01-03 22:48:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Naked for the goblin stonega (cor/dnc i dont think has any native MDB)

First Stonega is zero MDB, Second stonega is 78 MDB
 Asura.Geriond
By Asura.Geriond 2021-01-03 22:54:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Even naked, +76 MDB should only be a 43.2% reduction, which is very close to your results (perhaps weather or day impacted it, or your roll was slightly less, or maybe there were rounding oddities).

I doubt it's capped, but you can try it with a bigger spell by reflecting off of a Colibri or something.
 Asura.Geriond
By Asura.Geriond 2021-01-03 23:02:13
Link | Quote | Reply

How did you get 36 MDB from a IX Magus, BTW? The only combo I can see that gets that value is +7 to roll and job bonus; did you have a BLU in party?
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-01-03 23:16:07
Link | Quote | Reply

It's just what the readout says, no blue. Roll tracker always assumes max potency (there's no way to know if you hit a hat proc with a magus roll so I didn't use it, but it assumes I did)

Again; naked cor (that 11 should actually be 25+10, not 47) So. 40+35

If 75 mdb = 49% then it works right I guess and centurio is just hax
 Asura.Geriond
By Asura.Geriond 2021-01-03 23:28:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Your tracker seems to be assuming job boost and +7 rolls. If you're not getting the job boost (and thus just have +7), you're actually only getting +39 from that XI roll. In that case, having +79 MDB would exactly match that Colibri Fire test, so it's not capping. +8 rolls (+81 total MDB) would also round the damage you take to 23 due to the small numbers involved.

It's not capped, just a relatively weak effect due to MDB having diminishing returns.

Edit: a 35 MDB roll (+75 total) would also make it do 23, though only barely; a single less MDB would make it do 24.

Double edit: actually, 75 MDB on a 42 damage nuke would normally bring it to 24 exactly, but FFXI doesn't have perfect precision, which seems to result in the final damage being ever so slightly lower, and thus gets rounded down to 23. I'm guessing that different MDB values are inconsistently rounded based on 256ths, 512ths, or 1024ths, which throws it off like gear haste (but in the opposite direction).

Either that, or our known values for Magus Roll are slightly off.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-01-03 23:35:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah you have to go in an manually edit it to reflect gear for each character and I'm not about to do that. Only turned it on to show the number.

I guess it's just how it is, centurio with fade fend and magus is still gonna do 1500 damage nukes lol
By Rips 2021-01-04 01:13:56
Link | Quote | Reply

So, I'm almost done with a bunch of mules to 99 for AMAN trove goodies.

I know, I'm late to the game.

I need help compiling a list of prices on what sells. I'm ballparking the below and don't really have much to go on other than my own base knowledge and what I've seen:

Omen Bodies:
Nisroch Jerkin - 50M
Ashera Harness - 250M
Shamash Robe - 150 ~ 200M
Dagon Breastplate - 50M
Udug Jacket - 50M

Omen Hands
Regal Captain's Gloves - No Idea
Regal Cuffs - No Idea
Regal Gauntlets - 70m?
Regal Gloves - 50m?

T. Platemail - 50M

-----------------------------

I'll take any edits or suggestions. Got 30 mules almost to 99. Some just arriving from Maat this week.
By Pantafernando 2021-01-04 01:21:42
Link | Quote | Reply

At those prices, probably you will make more selling the orb instead of the drop.

Less risk, more flexible

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By Rips 2021-01-04 09:04:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Pantafernando said: »
At those prices, probably you will make more selling the orb instead of the drop.

Less risk, more flexible

You're right. You're absolutely right.

I do have to do at least a 1 month trial. Can't get 2 accounts to max 99 mules and not do it once. I'll lose sleep over it.
 Sylph.Brahmsz
Server: Sylph
user: Khronos
By Sylph.Brahmsz 2021-01-04 10:25:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Does the Double Damage augment for Divergence weapons proc on DA/TA/QA or is it just main hit only?
 Quetzalcoatl.Khajit
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Khajit
By Quetzalcoatl.Khajit 2021-01-04 18:20:01
Link | Quote | Reply

How does one make a (skeleton of living) key macro that turns off invisibility? Preferably only when I'm actually using the key since i like to tab around with <stnpc> with invis up to search for mobs.
By Pantafernando 2021-01-05 01:38:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I dont think there is a native command to drop invisible, so you gonna need to resort to an addon for that.
By Davorin 2021-01-05 03:18:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Khajit said: »
How does one make a (skeleton of living) key macro that turns off invisibility? Preferably only when I'm actually using the key since i like to tab around with <stnpc> with invis up to search for mobs.
You could use an ability or spell before trying to key to lose invis.
By Rips 2021-01-05 11:58:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Random question of the day:

Would this game be able to stay online if botting became impossible? Imagine if SE somehow made it so that programs like Easy Farm would never work, or even scripts. Would the game stay alive with all the bots leaving and losing those monthly subscriptions?

My guess is that it would not.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-01-05 12:04:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Not a great topic for this thread.

It'll never close down. It's always going to be zero effort profit even with 10 bodies paying lol
By Rips 2021-01-05 12:16:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Not a great topic for this thread.

It'll never close down. It's always going to be zero effort profit even with 10 bodies paying lol

Thought it passed the threshold as a random thought / question.

These bots are kicking my *** when farming merits and I kind of thought - what if.
By Masunasu 2021-01-05 12:19:11
Link | Quote | Reply

If botting became impossible it stands to reason a good chunk of Windower functionality would be gutted (you can reasonably program anything using the Windower API that is done by publicly distributed .exe-style bots).

So sub numbers take an extra hit when you consider "legit" players who wouldn't want to play an entirely vanilla experience.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2021-01-05 12:19:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Rips said: »
These bots are kicking my *** when farming merits and I kind of thought - what if.
Really? It's not hard to farm merits at all.

Sure, bots will claim everything and anything under the sun because that's how they are programmed, but they shouldn't be more efficient than a regular player. Unless they are hacking (speed hacking, casting while running, etc.). Then Altana help you~
 Shiva.Thorny
Server: Shiva
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2021-01-05 12:50:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
but they shouldn't be more efficient than a regular player
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2021-01-05 12:51:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't know, maybe I'm a better player than a bot? Who knew?

Then again, I don't compete with them often, so whatever.
[+]
 Shiva.Thorny
Server: Shiva
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2021-01-05 12:55:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Much of the public stuff is junk with subpar pathing, ability usage, etc. But, the better bots use navmesh based movement to guarantee optimal pathing, can detect mobs for 50' in any direction(or more if utilizing packets and the camp demands it). Ability usage can be coded as effectively as a player easily.

A player is likely better at identifying scenarios like the ability to side target a ws and get an extra kill in, but players also fatigue and don't generally want to put a ton of effort into being competitive when doing something as simple as merit farming.

Overall, the likelihood of a real player staying more efficient than a well-designed bot for any meaningful period of time is slim to none.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2021-01-05 13:08:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Over time, yes.

Also assuming that there is no latency issues with connection either. If you are comparing a perfect world where everything will remain constant, then you have a good point.

The only problem is, which is the same argument I always make in regards to botting, is why play a game if you are going to have a machine do everything for you? I understand that, to some people, this is their literal lives (either financially dependent or so far removed from reality that they cannot differentiate between the two).

But that argument has nothing to do with the concept presented. Too bad there isn't many "well-designed" bots out there that can really compete with a focused player.

I have seen so many bots under-perform against real players, especially against something mundane as JP farming. I get 500 JPs on a freshly level 99 character faster than most bot parties in the same timeframe.
By LightningHelix 2021-01-05 13:53:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Pantafernando said: »
I dont think there is a native command to drop invisible, so you gonna need to resort to an addon for that.
There's not a native command, but the Shortcuts addon can do it with the console command "cancel invisible". I have an in-game macro that's just "/console cancel invisible".
First Page 2 3 ... 683 684 685 ... 831 832 833