Nice To See An Abuse Of The Score System Guys!

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Nice to see an abuse of the score system guys!
Nice to see an abuse of the score system guys!
 Odin.Gaea
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user:
By Odin.Gaea 2009-04-25 23:19:08
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

i never click it the rating things for anyone. i occasionally rate pics, that's about it.

forum rating systems accomplish nothing but drama about rate downs. anyone who's happiness is tied to the rating system on an online forum is a douche.

just ignore the rating system. sometimes mods haven't finished puberty and rating systems are still "cool". it'll die if you ignore it.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2009-04-25 23:23:23
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not really advertised as an idea "scoring" system, so if your self-esteem is tied up in the number by your post, well...y'know...

The system is more the first stages of a reporting and self-moderation system. In that sense, a post that gets enough negative ratings and reports to warrant our attention is the system doing its job.

Although I do have to point out that topic sorting systems based on positive ratings, like say, Digg, or the Slashdot forums, work quite well. The phenomenon of everyone here defaulting to rating down others' ideas seems to be more a statement of the FFXI userbase at large than anything.

Speaking of...

Gaea said:
sometimes mods haven't finished puberty and rating systems are still "cool".

's that supposed to mean?
[+]
 Phoenix.Baelorn
Server: Phoenix
user: Baelorn
By Phoenix.Baelorn 2009-04-25 23:26:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Ludoggy said:
Malekith, do you think you put foreward anything useful?

You have no right to accuse anyone of not contributing useful information. You very rarely post anything other than spam and you often derail threads on purpose.

@OP: I looked at most of your posts that were rated down(outside of this thread+Off-Topic forum) and all of them are posts where opinion is involved. The only other posts that get rated down are your posts about getting rated down. If people were abusing the system they could very easily track your posts with the Forum tab. The majority of the listed posts are +1 or not rated at all.
[+]
 Asura.Ludoggy
Server: Asura
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-04-25 23:31:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I have the right to do whatever I want, untill the mods say something I'll keep on doing what you call "spam"
[+]
 Odin.Gaea
user:
By Odin.Gaea 2009-04-25 23:35:55

Jaerik said:
The phenomenon of everyone here defaulting to rating down others' ideas seems to be more a statement of the FFXI userbase at large than anything...

Perhaps its just this. FFXI forums are the only one I seriously ever sign up for. I've not been too impressed with the rating systems especially when they can be so easily exploited and cause problems for someone if it affects how posts are displayed. For example someone can get their friends and everyone to rate them down.

It's just drama.

However, if the system only affects the moderation system, then it actually would have a purpose. Maybe its because I'm an adult and find a forum rating system to be tacky an frivolous. In reality, it's one of those things we shouldn't need, especially for something like a video game.

Jaerik said:

Quite frankly, I just find rating systems childish and usually wind up spawning weird frivolous unimportant drama. If this system actually serves a purpose that allows the moderators to see more easily which posts and posters are causing problems, then it might actually be worth something.
 Asura.Korpg
user: Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-04-25 23:38:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Popularity contest, not a tool for self-moderation. Got it.

Thanks for the info guys.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Psyence
Server: Ragnarok
user: Psyence
By Ragnarok.Psyence 2009-04-25 23:54:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Jaerik said:
In that sense, a post that gets enough negative ratings and reports to warrant our attention is the system doing its job.

In that case, can we keep this number invisible? It would come to your attention anyway if too many people rated something down, and it wouldn't be viewed as a tool to harass people who share different opinions than the majority. If I rate down a post, it will be because I thought it was inadequate and needed to be reported, not because I want to publicly bring someone down. As for the concept of self-moderation, I see no point in rating up a post, and I couldn't care less if anyone rated mines up. In my understanding, congratulating someone for a great post can be done privately (or through an actual POST in the same thread...) it has nothing to do with the forum self-moderating itself.
[+]
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-04-26 00:02:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Psyence said:

In that case, can we keep this number invisible? It would come to your attention anyway if too many people rated something down, and it wouldn't be viewed as a tool to harass people who share different opinions than the majority. If I rate down a post, it will be because I thought it was inadequate and needed to be reported, not because I want to publicly bring someone down. As for the concept of self-moderation, I see no point in rating up a post, and I couldn't care less if anyone rated mines up. In my understanding, congratulating someone for a great post can be done privately (or through an actual POST in the same thread...) it has nothing to do with the forum self-moderating itself.

You are one of the few people who do that.

As far as I know, Bart, Lu, Cel, and myself does that also. OR at least admited it.
[+]
 Asura.Ludoggy
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-04-26 00:11:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Korpg said:
Psyence said:

You are one of the few people who do that.

As far as I know, Bart, Lu, Cel, and myself does that also. OR at least admited it.

^^;; I rated down that guy with less then 10 posts...and it was for a stupid reason
[+]
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-04-26 00:12:15
Link | Quote | Reply

We are all allowed to rate people down for stupid ***. But as long as we don't do it often, and we say when we rate people down for stupid ***, then thats ok.
[+]
 Cerberus.Jiko
Server: Cerberus
user: Jiko
By Cerberus.Jiko 2009-04-26 01:38:25
Link | Quote | Reply

So did we come to the conclusion that the ranking system is a failure yet?

I've ranked up a few people. Stopped ranking down after the first day unless it was really stupid.

Can I have my cookie now?
[+]
 Asura.Ludoggy
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-04-26 01:39:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Jiko said:
So did we come to the conclusion that the ranking system is a failure yet?

I've ranked up a few people. Stopped ranking down after the first day unless it was really stupid.

Can I have my cookie now?

*gives you a sesame cookie*
[+]
 Cerberus.Jiko
Server: Cerberus
user: Jiko
By Cerberus.Jiko 2009-04-26 01:40:40
Link | Quote | Reply

*nibbles on it* :D

Danke!
[+]
 Shiva.Clowdd
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Clowdd 2009-04-26 01:44:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Gaea said:
Jaerik said:
The phenomenon of everyone here defaulting to rating down others' ideas seems to be more a statement of the FFXI userbase at large than anything...[/quote\

Perhaps its just this. FFXI forums are the only one I seriously ever sign up for. I've not been too impressed with the rating systems especially when they can be so easily exploited and cause problems for someone if it affects how posts are displayed. For example someone can get their friends and everyone to rate them down.

It's just drama.

However, if the system only affects the moderation system, then it actually would have a purpose. Maybe its because I'm an adult and find a forum rating system to be tacky an frivolous. In reality, it's one of those things we shouldn't need, especially for something like a video game.

[quote=Jaerik]'s that supposed to mean?

Quite frankly, I just find rating systems childish and usually wind up spawning weird frivolous unimportant drama. If this system actually serves a purpose that allows the moderators to see more easily which posts and posters are causing problems, then it might actually be worth something.

Ever think of doing comedy? Because you crack me up.
[+]
 Bahamut.Etrayis
Server: Bahamut
user: Etrayis
By Bahamut.Etrayis 2009-04-26 01:50:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Hmmmm. Just went through this whole thread, and Korpg doesn't have a single positive score. As he stated at some point, if your -10 or more, your probably not getting your message across.
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-04-26 02:17:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Etrayis said:
Hmmmm. Just went through this whole thread, and Korpg doesn't have a single positive score. As he stated at some point, if your -10 or more, your probably not getting your message across.

Now that we stated its a popularity contest, I will rarely get anything over -2
[+]
 Lakshmi.Rylis
user: Rylis
By Lakshmi.Rylis 2009-04-26 02:47:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Heh, not really fair to say that the rating system is at fault because the FFXI population can't handle it.

As for Korpg.. Who cares? If you have people who are willing to follow your posts around and rate you down, what's it to you? they're the ones who have deemed it desirable to chase you around and waste their own time.

It's not like you're going to get cut off from the forums or something if you reach a certain negative.. If you're complaining that it's just a popularity contest, and that you only get negative, I wonder if you'd have made a fuss if you always got positives?

Seems unlikely.
[+]
 Odin.Gaea
user:
By Odin.Gaea 2009-04-26 02:49:16

Everyone that posts in this thread should be rated down. Now excuse me while I rate down all my refusals to let this thread die by posting in it.
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-04-26 02:49:56
Link | Quote | Reply

My "fuss" was the abuse of the system.

Since the definition of the system changed to something less desirable that I would like, I just give up and not going to worry about it again.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Wardens
user: Wardens
By Lakshmi.Wardens 2009-04-26 03:34:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Kiriyu said:
If it makes you feel any better, I just +1'd your post.

I second this.

And I gave +1 to most posts except anyone mentioning whining and Gaea -1.

Jaerik said:
The phenomenon of everyone here defaulting to rating down others' ideas seems to be more a statement of the FFXI userbase at large than anything.

Speaking of...

Gaea said:
sometimes mods haven't finished puberty and rating systems are still "cool".

I laughed so hard reading both of these.

Gaea said:

Jaerik said:
The system is more the first stages of a reporting and self-moderation system. In that sense, a post that gets enough negative ratings and reports to warrant our attention is the system doing its job.

That sounds familiar... or am I reading it wrong? Could be, it is 4:30 AM lol

/cheer Jaerik!
 Shiva.Artemicion
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-04-26 03:52:29

Human Nature ftl.

With that said, I'm here to say "Hi!" and will soon be expecting a score of negative 50.
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-04-26 03:54:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Artemicion said:
Human Nature ftl.

With that said, I'm here to say "Hi!" and will soon be expecting a score of negative 50.

I'm sitting on a -22 and a -15 so far, and I just started this topic today.
[+]
 Shiva.Artemicion
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-04-26 03:55:26

On the bright side, your thread ironically proved a point upon itself. How weird is that?
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-04-26 03:56:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Twas the point, I guess.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Albender
Server: Ragnarok
user: Albender
By Ragnarok.Albender 2009-04-26 04:29:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Would you mind to stop the non-sense posts please?
[+]
 Asura.Malekith
By Asura.Malekith 2009-04-26 04:33:18
Link | Quote | Reply

It's limbo time... how low can you go...
[+]
 Shiva.Artemicion
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-04-26 04:34:23

Albender said:

Like this one?
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-04-26 04:34:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Artemicion said:
Albender said:

Like this one?

Naw, this one is more non-sense.
[+]
 Phoenix.Baelorn
Server: Phoenix
user: Baelorn
By Phoenix.Baelorn 2009-04-26 04:35:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Albender said:

You must be new here. There's a group of posters who do nothing but spam the forum with nonsense/Off-Topic posts all day long in order to inflate their post count.
[+]