Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Paladin » PLD does just fine ~ Rant
PLD does just fine ~ Rant
 Odin.Creaucent
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Creaucent
By Odin.Creaucent 2011-06-15 16:34:06
Link | Quote | Reply

This can be said for almost any job its the player and the players gear, well lack of, that is more the problem. Pld is one of those jobs that requires nothing but the best gear to even get a look in damage wise. Most other DDs can just grab whatever meh gear there is a still do damage. Too often i see players running around with full perle and PDT-10% sword these pld are going to do ***for damage same as the ones that use defensive atmas. Ive seen pink nins dieing to the simplest NMs and taking forever to kill them does that make nin a bad job? or does it make the player bad?

To that guy that said pld gets 1/3 of the red !! wses is 9/13 only 1/3? Guku taking 40mins doubt it more like 5mins for this pld.
[+]
 Bismarck.Helel
Server: Bismarck
user: Billzey
By Bismarck.Helel 2011-06-15 17:05:20
Link | Quote | Reply

BLU can do everything PLD can do, and do it much better. BLU can mitigate physical damage better, magical damage better, can put out far more damage than a PLD, hold hate better, and the list goes on. This is true inside and outside abyssea. You can say whatever you want about BLU, but the question remains, why use PLD when you can use BLU?
[+]
 Phoenix.Fondue
Server: Phoenix
user: Caliber
By Phoenix.Fondue 2011-06-15 17:06:43
Link | Quote | Reply

why play a video game when you can kill monsters with swords irl?
[+]
 Shiva.Msthief
Server: Shiva
user: Msthief
By Shiva.Msthief 2011-06-15 17:09:01
Link | Quote | Reply

If you're going to play Paladin have an Ochain/Aegis and Almace, otherwise play something else.
 Remora.Dodu
Server: Remora
user: Tsuko
By Remora.Dodu 2011-06-15 17:12:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Ashman said:
Remora.Dodu said:
Ragnarok.Ashman said:
I never had a problem "being on PLD". I think the problem is "other people having a problem with you being on PLD". If you're doing abyssead with 8-10 people, no one is going to mind you being pld. You might actually save the whm 2-3 minutes of having to pay attention. The problem is when you do abyssea with 2-5 people (as abyssea leans towards doing). You cover like.... 1/3 of the !! triggers that you would do with nin war or mnk AND you take 3 times longer to kill. THAT is why people don't like PLD as much anymore. That being said, if you can find a group that has all their "!! bases" covered and welcomes you to come tank, bravo. I love when we have an extra body for our runs so that I can come drk instead of war, but i don't expect it. :/
Except that this person is still a waste of reward distribution, because they're sure as hell not tanking(and even if they are, its beyond unnecessary, and still a waste). Paladin has Voidwatch now, stop trying to pretend you're useful at any other relevant event currently in existence. You're not, you're never going to be, and you don't need to be.

In all fairness, my PLD has been retired since 75 cap. If it did become relevant again, I would just level it and catch up the gear in a week or two. I don't particularly like your tone, whether I agree with you or not. I didn't say that he would be useful, I just said he could POSSIBLY make a place for himself, AND that it would be hard to do so. I also said it very diplomatically BECAUSE I know that he was just making the 1000th QQPLDQQ post this week and I knew people were going to be all over him.

That being said, how's that dancer working with "earning a portion of the reward distribution"?

You have soloing Gukumatz for 40 minutes without getting red !! now, while people wait. Stop trying to pretend you'll be relevant for anything else than forever alone soloing.

Implying I ever use my dancer for something other than embarrassing pickups with a terrible job that obliterates their real DD job.
 Shiva.Darkshade
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Darkshade 2011-06-15 18:27:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Implying
[+]
 Phoenix.Fredjan
user: Fredjan
By Phoenix.Fredjan 2011-06-15 18:44:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Systematicchaos said:
Ramuh.Austar said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Quote:
PLD does just fine
So does PUP, your point?
I'd gladly bring a PUP to anything in abyssea before a PLD. Stringing Pummel doesn't *** around.

Victory Smite or gtfo.
aren't both weaponskills essentially the same ***?
except that SP takes much longer to get if you didn't have a runic key already.
edit: SP has lower spikes and less fTP, but it's not that behind from its empyrean counterpart like other weapons (e.g Ascetic's Fury vs Smite)
 Lakshmi.Emanuelle
Server: Lakshmi
user: Minipie
By Lakshmi.Emanuelle 2011-06-15 19:10:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Helel said:
BLU can do everything PLD can do, and do it much better. BLU can mitigate physical damage better, magical damage better, can put out far more damage than a PLD, hold hate better, and the list goes on. This is true inside and outside abyssea. You can say whatever you want about BLU, but the question remains, why use PLD when you can use BLU?
^

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Tot
Server: Asura
By Asura.Tot 2011-06-15 19:23:24
Link | Quote | Reply

anything pld can do, i can do better!~

i can do anything better then pld!~

yes. we. CAN!
 Phoenix.Fredjan
user: Fredjan
By Phoenix.Fredjan 2011-06-15 19:27:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahfk said:
Bismarck.Helel said:
you actually believe this? if we put the best possible paladin in game beside the best possible blue mage, you believe the blu would be a better tank, don't you?
Wouldn't a BLU get obliverated in Voidwatch?
granted, I've never done it myself, but those nms just sound nasty.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By Blazed1979 2011-06-15 20:05:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Kelyn said:
Well, PLD's, maybe you're receiving some backlash for being such diva / drama queens in most linkshells over the past 7 years. Remember this attitude? "I'm the PLD, this linkshell would be ***w/o me". "All bow before me and worship me at my feet." "NIN and monks all suck, nobody can tank BUT me!"

~And then people figured out you they did'nt need you. LMAO

I loled. Funnier for me cuz I was in-fact that "diva".
Yeah first months of Abyssea burnt.
Was so used to commanding and giving out orders, then as it became more and more apparent just how much I sucked with my shiny gold shield inside abyssea, i started getting people talking back to me for the first time in so long... it was a shock to my system. A DRG, of all jobs, was talking back to me! I wouldn't stand for it and I eventually found myself linkshelless...alone, battered, in the cold rain, hungry for some attention and affection, I dusted off my Byakko's Haidate, wrapeed my black belt around my waste and returned, unzipped my pants and said "I don't wanna feel any teeth, you got that?"
[+]
 Cerberus.Arcmarc
Server: Cerberus
user: marc4497
By Cerberus.Arcmarc 2011-06-15 20:47:50
Link | Quote | Reply

hater's gonna hate - pld gear isnt easy to get. you cant just run out there in full +2 and plan on making a difference.. need tons of gear swapping and even more skill (not just stand there and punch away - ***, my mnk is pretty gimp and i can *** engage a mob with it and go take a 15 minute ***with a whm curing me and come back and the mob is dead).

fact of the matter is, anyone can level mnk and spam ja's and do good damage and be a good mnk

anyone can be a useful damage dealing war

not everyone is a good nin, but there's shitton of bandwagonners out there spamming for their kanaagi.

in the end, people just gonna hate - i say *** em and play the game how you want to play it and have fun.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Blazer
Server: Carbuncle
user: blazey
By Carbuncle.Blazer 2011-06-15 21:00:40
Link | Quote | Reply

It's been stated before, but in voidwatch YOU NEED A SOLID TANK (aka paladin). Also, if you have the higher/best gear sets you can be useful in abyssea. Yes, I know it's out of reach and probably out of context, but with Ochain I can solo a LOT of nm's in/out of abyssea. Also with decent shield skill and right set up you can cleave pretty well (not BLU status, of course). When it comes down to it though it just isn't efficent/reliable to have a Paladin tank in abyssea (except maybe on iron clads).
By Blazed1979 2011-06-15 21:22:49
Link | Quote | Reply

i loled
[+]
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Systematicchaos 2011-06-15 22:25:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Fredjan said:
Sylph.Systematicchaos said:
Ramuh.Austar said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Quote:
PLD does just fine
So does PUP, your point?
I'd gladly bring a PUP to anything in abyssea before a PLD. Stringing Pummel doesn't *** around.

Victory Smite or gtfo.
aren't both weaponskills essentially the same ***?
except that SP takes much longer to get if you didn't have a runic key already.
edit: SP has lower spikes and less fTP, but it's not that behind from its empyrean counterpart like other weapons (e.g Ascetic's Fury vs Smite)

Victory Smite will outperform Stringing Pummel easily. You may get some good Stringing Pummels and some bad Victory Smites, but Victory Smite will still average a significant amount more.
 Fenrir.Kussese
Server: Fenrir
user: kussese
By Fenrir.Kussese 2011-07-01 14:38:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazed1979 said:
Fenrir.Kelyn said:
Well, PLD's, maybe you're receiving some backlash for being such diva / drama queens in most linkshells over the past 7 years. Remember this attitude? "I'm the PLD, this linkshell would be ***w/o me". "All bow before me and worship me at my feet." "NIN and monks all suck, nobody can tank BUT me!"

Was so used to commanding and giving out orders, then as it became more and more apparent just how much I sucked with my shiny gold shield inside abyssea, i started getting people talking back to me for the first time in so long... it was a shock to my system. A DRG, of all jobs, was talking back to me! I wouldn't stand for it and I eventually found myself linkshelless...alone, battered, in the cold rain, hungry for some attention and affection, I dusted off my Byakko's Haidate, wrapeed my black belt around my waste and returned, unzipped my pants and said "I don't wanna feel any teeth, you got that?"
This is beyond awesome. Words. Cannot. Describe.
[+]
 Cerberus.Lightvision
By Cerberus.Lightvision 2011-07-06 05:45:05
Link | Quote | Reply

the problem comes from noob PLDs, even bigger problem with noob PLD that have almace and ochain that cant tank.

i have said this meny times over the years, If ya not gonna gear PLD properly then GTFO PLD

yes voidwatch is where PLD shines the most now PLD/WAR even more so but required well geared PLDs not just noob *** 1 gearset ochain PLDs i do voidwatch and with the amount of nunes that go of

since i just complete almace recently and now get to PLD more with LS and with friends

Bahamut.Zorander said:
They can do it but a whole lot slower and less efficiently.

Efficiency is not the problem its the gimp noob PLDs thats the problem

if your gearing wrong your going to be less efficient gear properly and use that gear as it should be used then you wont have efficency problems
 Ragnarok.Aerox
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Aerox 2011-07-06 06:20:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Msthief said:
If you're going to play Paladin have an Ochain/Aegis and Almace, otherwise play something else.

Sadly true. Probably the best use of pld inside abyssea is to solo NMs. If your /whm with good atma and have aegis/ochain/ excal or almace then there isn't a great deal that can kill you.

I've tanked almost everything inside abyssea on pld and most things outside abyssea too and the difference is staggering - pld actually slows things down now whereas before when managing mp on mages was key to success pld was important for its dmg mitigation and ability to cure itself.

SE has a big task on its hands to ensure pld can play a vital role in forthcomming endgame for lvl99. Too much emphasis was placed on every job having a place in abyssea with the trigger !! system, but they didn't find the right balance for me.
 Pandemonium.Ironguy
Server: Pandemonium
user: Ironguy
By Pandemonium.Ironguy 2011-07-06 06:31:18
Link | Quote | Reply

threads like this are what make paladin the primary source of job reticule these days, much like dragoon and puppetmaster back before abyssea
[+]
 Cerberus.Phyrefly
user: Phyrefly
By Cerberus.Phyrefly 2011-07-06 06:43:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Arcmarc said:
hater's gonna hate - pld gear isnt easy to get. you cant just run out there in full +2 and plan on making a difference.. need tons of gear swapping and even more skill (not just stand there and punch away - ***, my mnk is pretty gimp and i can *** engage a mob with it and go take a 15 minute ***with a whm curing me and come back and the mob is dead).

fact of the matter is, anyone can level mnk and spam ja's and do good damage and be a good mnk

anyone can be a useful damage dealing war

not everyone is a good nin, but there's shitton of bandwagonners out there spamming for their kanaagi.

in the end, people just gonna hate - i say *** em and play the game how you want to play it and have fun.

Word.
 Fenrir.Ilax
Server: Fenrir
user: FireDeath
By Fenrir.Ilax 2011-07-06 07:12:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Phyrefly said:
I hate how people say it's useless or dead. Yeah, you can probably manage without one, but I think you can certainly still use one.

I do, use them to /cheer me up while i tank/trigger NM ^^ Moral support count right?
 Cerberus.Irishlass
user: Irishlass
By Cerberus.Irishlass 2011-07-06 07:46:36
Link | Quote | Reply

<3 PLD still and forever. Without a good PLD by my side all these years I would not be where I am today. Even now when I see one in the party it makes me happy :)

To all the PLDs out there you never lost it in my eyes your still sexy SOBs :)
[+]
 Phoenix.Gustavve
user: Gustavve
By Phoenix.Gustavve 2011-07-09 22:03:19
Link | Quote | Reply

So, decision time.

I know the correct answer is probably Ukon but my war does just fine for what its there for. I have aegis90 and plan on doing ochain at some point just not right now. I don't even use my pld for anything but since we will be leaving abyssea otw to 99 what should I do first? Keep in mind the only things I would use pld for is when it is actually "needed". I suppose that would bring excal closer to almace.

Almace,Excal,Ukon?
 Asura.Echandra
Server: Asura
user: Echandra
By Asura.Echandra 2011-07-09 22:27:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Gustavve said:
So, decision time. Keep in mind the only things I would use pld for is when it is actually "needed". I suppose that would bring excal closer to almace.

Almace,Excal,Ukon?

Key phrase is "actually needed" Get a Ukon, your friends will marvel at you suddenly being useful instead of a sideline cure and flash. I can understand that making such a tough decision needs the support of an entire community so I hope this helps. ffxieasy doesn't really "need" any of this, it's just icing on the cake to make your pld look shiny.

In an unrelated sidenote, my g/f drank all the root beer out of her rootbeer float and didn't share. Should I get an alamace, ochain, or more rootbeer?
 Bahamut.Serj
Server: Bahamut
user: Serj
By Bahamut.Serj 2011-07-09 22:44:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Echandra said:
Phoenix.Gustavve said:
So, decision time. Keep in mind the only things I would use pld for is when it is actually "needed". I suppose that would bring excal closer to almace.

Almace,Excal,Ukon?

Key phrase is "actually needed" Get a Ukon, your friends will marvel at you suddenly being useful instead of a sideline cure and flash. I can understand that making such a tough decision needs the support of an entire community so I hope this helps. ffxieasy doesn't really "need" any of this, it's just icing on the cake to make your pld look shiny.

In an unrelated sidenote, my g/f drank all the root beer out of her rootbeer float and didn't share. Should I get an alamace, ochain, or more rootbeer?

More ice cream AND root beer.
By Quiznor 2011-07-09 22:50:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazed1979 said:
Fenrir.Kelyn said:

No usu? /sigh!

Anyways,skipping the rest of the things I had to say.I just wanted to comment on the "noobs with 1 gearset and ochain/almace that give PLD a bad name"

I hate it when it becomes a loljob just because of some people and their inability to bother/learn/whatever about the job.Especially since I was victim to this back at 75 on BLU (main job)

Back then the entire BLU population short of me and 2 other people I knew were absolutely terrible.Alot of the ones I ran into didnt know some spells were piercing/slashing/blunt.Didnt know what was what for different spells,gearwise,mod wise,how to maximize the ja's,etc.It was near impossible to get into meripos but I remember alot of people being blown about when I did manage to get into them.Back when Disserverment was king and murdered birds.I remember skilling changing by myself on birds and magic bursting mp drainkiss off the darkness that asuran fists to gekko made.I never had mp issues even without ballads or a rdm.People were impressed and I was never called a lolblu ever again.But the overall "lolblu" reptutation stuck around for the job overall.

I've had people /tell me during limbus/dynamis/einherjar/salvage asking when I was gonna be done because they wanted a merit party.
All of the above appened on my COR too,but for more obvious reasons,and I was always complimented on my COR'ing too.

The fact is a "lol" reputation does not hinge on the few,but on the many.Some people will have the skill/ability/gear to play a job very very well,but at the end of the day,the handful of people you impress will only get the job's reputation so far.
 Leviathan.Alkalinejoe
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Alkalinejoe 2011-07-09 23:13:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Ashman said:
Remora.Dodu said:
Ragnarok.Ashman said:
I never had a problem "being on PLD". I think the problem is "other people having a problem with you being on PLD". If you're doing abyssead with 8-10 people, no one is going to mind you being pld. You might actually save the whm 2-3 minutes of having to pay attention. The problem is when you do abyssea with 2-5 people (as abyssea leans towards doing). You cover like.... 1/3 of the !! triggers that you would do with nin war or mnk AND you take 3 times longer to kill. THAT is why people don't like PLD as much anymore. That being said, if you can find a group that has all their "!! bases" covered and welcomes you to come tank, bravo. I love when we have an extra body for our runs so that I can come drk instead of war, but i don't expect it. :/
Except that this person is still a waste of reward distribution, because they're sure as hell not tanking(and even if they are, its beyond unnecessary, and still a waste). Paladin has Voidwatch now, stop trying to pretend you're useful at any other relevant event currently in existence. You're not, you're never going to be, and you don't need to be.

In all fairness, my PLD has been retired since 75 cap. If it did become relevant again, I would just level it and catch up the gear in a week or two. I don't particularly like your tone, whether I agree with you or not. I didn't say that he would be useful, I just said he could POSSIBLY make a place for himself, AND that it would be hard to do so. I also said it very diplomatically BECAUSE I know that he was just making the 1000th QQPLDQQ post this week and I knew people were going to be all over him.

That being said, how's that dancer working with "earning a portion of the reward distribution"?

You have soloing Gukumatz for 40 minutes without getting red !! now, while people wait. Stop trying to pretend you'll be relevant for anything else than forever alone soloing.
Maybe being wooshed here, but what DNC takes 40 mins to solo guku? I've killed him under 2 mins lol.