PLD does just fine ~ Rant
First Page 2 3
 Odin.Dezaar
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: dezaar
By Odin.Dezaar 2011-06-15 11:15:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly, I don't see why people have so much beef being on PLD. I know everyone has to have a NIN these days BUT I don't feel like leveling NIN. Sorry. And i don't feel like leveing WAR either. i have my 5 90's and I have enough gear where i can function quickly and still fit into most situations.

I was helping farm KI with a buddy, he was a NIN and we have been farming Briareus and now Sobek. My PLD can Proc Polearm, Sword, GreatSword, Club and Staff. He can proc, Katana, Dagger and Great Katana. Only leaves Scyth. And I have a decent set and skill so I have been effective in a duo on the small NM's. I guess I am also hoping SE just might give us old PLD's a upgrade by 99.

I know NIN is all bad *** and "the way to go" but honestly, there are plenty of things a PLD can still do...
[+]
 Shiva.Darkshade
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Darkshade 2011-06-15 11:20:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I will go there to that place and wait for them until the day that they can truly appreciate me. I will wait for that day patiently.

;_;
[+]
 Cerberus.Phyrefly
Server: Cerberus
user: Phyrefly
By Cerberus.Phyrefly 2011-06-15 11:21:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I hate how people say it's useless or dead. Yeah, you can probably manage without one, but I think you can certainly still use one.
[+]
 Bahamut.Zorander
Server: Bahamut
user: Zor
By Bahamut.Zorander 2011-06-15 11:22:13
Link | Quote | Reply

They can do it but a whole lot slower and less efficiently.

Almost any Job can do any task given enough support and or time.

That being said hang in there with pld..voidwalker and pld seem to go hand in hand so far.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Vileplume
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Jarbino
By Quetzalcoatl.Vileplume 2011-06-15 11:24:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Darkshade said:

;_;
[+]
 Ragnarok.Ashman
Server: Ragnarok
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2011-06-15 11:24:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I never had a problem "being on PLD". I think the problem is "other people having a problem with you being on PLD".

If you're doing abyssead with 8-10 people, no one is going to mind you being pld. You might actually save the whm 2-3 minutes of having to pay attention.

The problem is when you do abyssea with 2-5 people (as abyssea leans towards doing). You cover like.... 1/3 of the !! triggers that you would do with nin war or mnk AND you take 3 times longer to kill. THAT is why people don't like PLD as much anymore.

That being said, if you can find a group that has all their "!! bases" covered and welcomes you to come tank, bravo. I love when we have an extra body for our runs so that I can come drk instead of war, but i don't expect it. :/
[+]
By BorealisV2 2011-06-15 11:31:07
Link | Quote | Reply

lolPLD
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-06-15 11:37:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
PLD does just fine
So does PUP, your point?
[+]
 Remora.Dodu
Server: Remora
user: Tsuko
By Remora.Dodu 2011-06-15 11:38:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Ashman said:
I never had a problem "being on PLD". I think the problem is "other people having a problem with you being on PLD".

If you're doing abyssead with 8-10 people, no one is going to mind you being pld. You might actually save the whm 2-3 minutes of having to pay attention.

The problem is when you do abyssea with 2-5 people (as abyssea leans towards doing). You cover like.... 1/3 of the !! triggers that you would do with nin war or mnk AND you take 3 times longer to kill. THAT is why people don't like PLD as much anymore.

That being said, if you can find a group that has all their "!! bases" covered and welcomes you to come tank, bravo. I love when we have an extra body for our runs so that I can come drk instead of war, but i don't expect it. :/

Except that this person is still a waste of reward distribution, because they're sure as hell not tanking(and even if they are, its beyond unnecessary, and still a waste).

Paladin has Voidwatch now, stop trying to pretend you're useful at any other relevant event currently in existence. You're not, you're never going to be, and you don't need to be.
[+]
 Bahamut.Zorander
Server: Bahamut
user: Zor
By Bahamut.Zorander 2011-06-15 11:41:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Remora.Dodu said:
Ragnarok.Ashman said:
I never had a problem "being on PLD". I think the problem is "other people having a problem with you being on PLD". If you're doing abyssead with 8-10 people, no one is going to mind you being pld. You might actually save the whm 2-3 minutes of having to pay attention. The problem is when you do abyssea with 2-5 people (as abyssea leans towards doing). You cover like.... 1/3 of the !! triggers that you would do with nin war or mnk AND you take 3 times longer to kill. THAT is why people don't like PLD as much anymore. That being said, if you can find a group that has all their "!! bases" covered and welcomes you to come tank, bravo. I love when we have an extra body for our runs so that I can come drk instead of war, but i don't expect it. :/
Except that this person is still a waste of reward distribution, because they're sure as hell not tanking(and even if they are, its beyond unnecessary, and still a waste). Paladin has Voidwatch now, stop trying to pretend you're useful at any other relevant event currently in existence. You're not, you're never going to be, and you don't need to be.
Quoted and bolded for truth.
 Carbuncle.Ceolwulf
Server: Carbuncle
user: Ceolwulf
By Carbuncle.Ceolwulf 2011-06-15 11:41:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Vileplume said:
Shiva.Darkshade said:

;_;
Don't you bring the Doctor in to this!
 Shiva.Durtiesweat
user: Durtie
By Shiva.Durtiesweat 2011-06-15 11:43:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Remora.Dodu said:
Ragnarok.Ashman said:

Except that this person is still a waste of reward distribution, because they're sure as hell not tanking(and even if they are, its beyond unnecessary, and still a waste).

Paladin has Voidwatch now, stop trying to pretend you're useful at any other relevant event currently in existence. You're not, you're never going to be, and you don't need to be.

Your pic totally goes with the tone of your post... well met. LMAOx2
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2011-06-15 12:25:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Remora.Dodu said:
Ragnarok.Ashman said:
I never had a problem "being on PLD". I think the problem is "other people having a problem with you being on PLD". If you're doing abyssead with 8-10 people, no one is going to mind you being pld. You might actually save the whm 2-3 minutes of having to pay attention. The problem is when you do abyssea with 2-5 people (as abyssea leans towards doing). You cover like.... 1/3 of the !! triggers that you would do with nin war or mnk AND you take 3 times longer to kill. THAT is why people don't like PLD as much anymore. That being said, if you can find a group that has all their "!! bases" covered and welcomes you to come tank, bravo. I love when we have an extra body for our runs so that I can come drk instead of war, but i don't expect it. :/
Except that this person is still a waste of reward distribution, because they're sure as hell not tanking(and even if they are, its beyond unnecessary, and still a waste). Paladin has Voidwatch now, stop trying to pretend you're useful at any other relevant event currently in existence. You're not, you're never going to be, and you don't need to be.

In all fairness, my PLD has been retired since 75 cap. If it did become relevant again, I would just level it and catch up the gear in a week or two. I don't particularly like your tone, whether I agree with you or not. I didn't say that he would be useful, I just said he could POSSIBLY make a place for himself, AND that it would be hard to do so. I also said it very diplomatically BECAUSE I know that he was just making the 1000th QQPLDQQ post this week and I knew people were going to be all over him.

That being said, how's that dancer working with "earning a portion of the reward distribution"?

You have soloing Gukumatz for 40 minutes without getting red !! now, while people wait. Stop trying to pretend you'll be relevant for anything else than forever alone soloing.
[+]
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2011-06-15 12:28:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Quote:
PLD does just fine
So does PUP, your point?
I'd gladly bring a PUP to anything in abyssea before a PLD. Stringing Pummel doesn't *** around.
[+]
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Systematicchaos 2011-06-15 12:32:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Austar said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Quote:
PLD does just fine
So does PUP, your point?
I'd gladly bring a PUP to anything in abyssea before a PLD. Stringing Pummel doesn't *** around.

Victory Smite or gtfo.
[+]
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2011-06-15 12:36:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Systematicchaos said:
Ramuh.Austar said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Quote:
PLD does just fine
So does PUP, your point?

Victory Smite or gtfo.
Not all PUPs have that luxury.
By Sylph.Systematicchaos 2011-06-15 12:39:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Austar said:
Ramuh.Austar said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Quote:
PLD does just fine
So does PUP, your point?
Victory Smite or gtfo.
Not all PUPs have that luxury.

Then they need to get off their *** and get it. Stringing Pummel takes as much work from scratch as Victory Smite, considering you need Nyzul 100 to make the WS portion reasonable. Anyone who didn't have nyzul partially completed already is probably doing more work to get it.
 Siren.Catabolic
Server: Siren
user: Catabolic
By Siren.Catabolic 2011-06-15 12:39:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Dezaar said:
Honestly, I don't see why people have so much beef being on PLD. I know everyone has to have a NIN these days BUT I don't feel like leveling NIN. Sorry. And i don't feel like leveing WAR either. i have my 5 90's and I have enough gear where i can function quickly and still fit into most situations.

I was helping farm KI with a buddy, he was a NIN and we have been farming Briareus and now Sobek. My PLD can Proc Polearm, Sword, GreatSword, Club and Staff. He can proc, Katana, Dagger and Great Katana. Only leaves Scyth. And I have a decent set and skill so I have been effective in a duo on the small NM's. I guess I am also hoping SE just might give us old PLD's a upgrade by 99.

I know NIN is all bad *** and "the way to go" but honestly, there are plenty of things a PLD can still do...

No worries. Ninjas are coming back to reality as soon as there is new content out of abyssea. Actually reality is Ninja is only that high up on the totem pole IN abyssea. Everywhere else its a meh job
 Ifrit.Eikechi
Server: Ifrit
user: Eike
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2011-06-15 12:45:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Ninja was always a good job outside of Aby... @75 cap there were tons of debate between evasion tanking on nin and pld blood tanking.. Nin is and always will be, a fairly efficient tank (idk about the nature of voidwatch NMs yet..but w/e)... and on the Pup topic.. Smite is NOT as easy to get as pummel...gtfo lol.. 50 chloris buds is as easy as just WS spamming 300 points? gtfo sir lol
[+]
 Fenrir.Terminus
user: Terminus
By Fenrir.Terminus 2011-06-15 12:51:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Austar said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Quote:
PLD does just fine
So does PUP, your point?

Victory Smite or gtfo.

I love that thought process. Yes, we know it's powerful and handy. But it's by no means a "make or break" weapon skill. I saw a pickup group (yes, not the best example off ffxi play, I know) hang out in PJ for idk how long waiting on a "Victory Smite Monk" to help them out. It reminded me of the SAM ONRY days.

All the while, other people are doing the same stuff without (or with, that's better, of course) that "we can't do this" attitude.
 Fenrir.Kelyn
user: Yummee
By Fenrir.Kelyn 2011-06-15 12:59:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, PLD's, maybe you're receiving some backlash for being such diva / drama queens in most linkshells over the past 7 years. Remember this attitude? "I'm the PLD, this linkshell would be ***w/o me". "All bow before me and worship me at my feet." "NIN and monks all suck, nobody can tank BUT me!"

~And then people figured out you they did'nt need you. LMAO
[+]
 Ifrit.Eikechi
Server: Ifrit
user: Eike
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2011-06-15 13:00:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Kelyn...you sir, deserve a medal lol.. well played
By Sylph.Systematicchaos 2011-06-15 13:04:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Terminus said:
Ramuh.Austar said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Quote:
PLD does just fine
So does PUP, your point?
Victory Smite or gtfo.
I love that thought process. Yes, we know it's powerful and handy. But it's by no means a "make or break" weapon skill. I saw a pickup group (yes, not the best example off ffxi play, I know) hang out in PJ for idk how long waiting on a "Victory Smite Monk" to help them out. It reminded me of the SAM ONRY days. All the while, other people are doing the same stuff without (or with, that's better, of course) that "we can't do this" attitude.

I didn't say wait for someone with it, but if you're content with SP and not even working toward VS then you're doing it wrong.
[+]
 Leviathan.Draylo
Server: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-06-15 13:06:13
Link | Quote | Reply

PLD is good in voidwatch, more serious fights, that should be good enough. Abyssea is easy mode, so nothing really matters in there as far as tanking.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2011-06-15 13:28:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Kelyn said:
Well, PLD's, maybe you're receiving some backlash for being such diva / drama queens in most linkshells over the past 7 years. Remember this attitude? "I'm the PLD, this linkshell would be ***w/o me". "All bow before me and worship me at my feet." "NIN and monks all suck, nobody can tank BUT me!" ~And then people figured out you they did'nt need you. LMAO

XD

Shiva.Nikolce
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2011-06-15 13:29:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Dezaar said:
I don't feel like leveling NIN.

That's too damn bad! Get back to work! /whip crack

I can't remember the last time someone asked me to go pld to something...of course I have a hard time remembering lunch.

But I think the antipld argument revolves mostly around effeciancy...
(With the exception of this guy who clearly didn't receive flowers or even so much as a phone call afterwards.)
Fenrir.Kelyn said:
Well, PLD's, maybe you're receiving some backlash for being such diva / drama queens in most linkshells over the past 7 years. Remember this attitude? "I'm the PLD, this linkshell would be ***w/o me". "All bow before me and worship me at my feet." "NIN and monks all suck, nobody can tank BUT me!" ~And then people figured out you they did'nt need you. LMAO

You could tank on rng or drk with enough whms cure skinning you but why do things the hard way? Just come blm if you dont wanna level nin.

And if every once in a while if you wanna dust off and play pld, I won't tell anybody.... Nobody goes into the past any more. You could go do cb and no one would ever know!
 Odin.Dezaar
By Odin.Dezaar 2011-06-15 15:14:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Nikolce said:
Odin.Dezaar said:

That's too damn bad! Get back to work! /whip crack

I can't remember the last time someone asked me to go pld to something...of course I have a hard time remembering lunch.

But I think the antipld argument revolves mostly around effeciancy...
(With the exception of this guy who clearly didn't receive flowers or even so much as a phone call afterwards.)
Fenrir.Kelyn said:

You could tank on rng or drk with enough whms cure skinning you but why do things the hard way? Just come blm if you dont wanna level nin.

And if every once in a while if you wanna dust off and play pld, I won't tell anybody.... Nobody goes into the past any more. You could go do cb and no one would ever know!

Rather let 1 of the 1500 NIN's come tank and go WHM! :)

WHM is honestly my favorite job atm
 Shiva.Nikolce
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2011-06-15 15:21:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Dezaar said:
Shiva.Nikolce said:
Odin.Dezaar said:
That's too damn bad! Get back to work! /whip crack I can't remember the last time someone asked me to go pld to something...of course I have a hard time remembering lunch. But I think the antipld argument revolves mostly around effeciancy... (With the exception of this guy who clearly didn't receive flowers or even so much as a phone call afterwards.)
Fenrir.Kelyn said:
You could tank on rng or drk with enough whms cure skinning you but why do things the hard way? Just come blm if you dont wanna level nin. And if every once in a while if you wanna dust off and play pld, I won't tell anybody.... Nobody goes into the past any more. You could go do cb and no one would ever know!
Rather let 1 of the 1500 NIN's come tank and go WHM! :) WHM is honestly my favorite job atm

I am usually asked to go to things as whm, and I do enjoy it. But I recently leveled blm and also enjoy the explosions, especially the Burst II animation.
 Odin.Dezaar
By Odin.Dezaar 2011-06-15 15:25:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Nikolce said:
Odin.Dezaar said:
Shiva.Nikolce said:
Odin.Dezaar said:
That's too damn bad! Get back to work! /whip crack I can't remember the last time someone asked me to go pld to something...of course I have a hard time remembering lunch. But I think the antipld argument revolves mostly around effeciancy... (With the exception of this guy who clearly didn't receive flowers or even so much as a phone call afterwards.)
Fenrir.Kelyn said:
You could tank on rng or drk with enough whms cure skinning you but why do things the hard way? Just come blm if you dont wanna level nin. And if every once in a while if you wanna dust off and play pld, I won't tell anybody.... Nobody goes into the past any more. You could go do cb and no one would ever know!
Rather let 1 of the 1500 NIN's come tank and go WHM! :) WHM is honestly my favorite job atm

I am usually asked to go to things as whm, and I do enjoy it. But I recently leveled blm and also enjoy the explosions, especially the Burst II animation.

Ive played BLM too much over the last few years and WHM is satisfying my gaming experience :) Always been a fan of Tornado II and Burst II myself :)
 Carbuncle.Aeonknight
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Aeonknight 2011-06-15 15:36:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Draylo said:
PLD is good in voidwatch, more serious fights, that should be good enough. Abyssea is easy mode, so nothing really matters in there as far as tanking.
First Page 2 3