Stray Mary - TH Help Or What?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Stray Mary - TH help or what?
Stray Mary - TH help or what?
First Page 2
 Bahamut.Avenged
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Satanas
By Bahamut.Avenged 2009-04-05 20:21:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I've been campin Stray Mary this weekend and im 0/7.

I've been goin as 75pld/1rng and i was wonderin if TH would help. I thought that TH only helped items in general to drop, and since Mary has a 100% drop i kinda ruled that out. But going 0/7 makes me think twice... Anyone?
 Fairy.Azulmagia
Server: Fairy
user: Azulmagia
By Fairy.Azulmagia 2009-04-05 20:25:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Seven is not a large sample space. People have done much worse. Also, TH helps any item drop that isn't 100%, so yes it helps. Don't think it'll give you a 50% boost or something, though.
 Bahamut.Avenged
By Bahamut.Avenged 2009-04-05 20:26:01
Link | Quote | Reply

You sure? O kotes arent 100% but TH doesnt help that.
 Siren.Enternius
Server: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-04-05 20:27:56
Link | Quote | Reply

O Kote are 100% in the sense that either Impact Knuckles OR Ochimusha Kote are guaranteed to drop. Always one or the other, never both, never nothing. And TH doesn't increase value of drops, just frequency.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
Server: Garuda
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-04-05 20:28:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Avenged said:

O.Kotes is one of those rare "One or the other drops". Either those Knuckles or O.Kotes drop; you will never not get a drop, nor will you never get both; because of the fact the drop on either is a pre-determined percentage, Treasure Hunter will not increase the drop rate. You either get O.Kotes or the Knuckles.

With Mary's Horn, though, you either get the drop or you don't; meaning Treasure Hunter affects it the same way it does (if at all, but that's for another thread... lol) every other drop in the game. You're just unlucky - I'm 2/6 on Mary without any TH whatsoever. Kill it 1000 times with and withouth TH and you'll have a much clearer opinion of whether it makes a difference or not.
 Bahamut.Avenged
By Bahamut.Avenged 2009-04-05 20:30:39
Link | Quote | Reply

ah gotcha x3. So i gotta find a way to get WS and TH. Hmmm.. Friends lol. Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooodum can i have your luck plz?
 Garuda.Wooooodum
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-04-05 20:33:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Absolutely not!
 Bahamut.Avenged
By Bahamut.Avenged 2009-04-05 20:34:36
Link | Quote | Reply

/em Gasp!
 Unicorn.Tavlov
Server: Unicorn
user: Tomas
By Unicorn.Tavlov 2009-04-05 20:34:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I got mary's drop first time i killed her, no TH. like 0/6 since. SE said something about TH not helping on rare/ex items, so keep that in mind.
 Fairy.Azulmagia
By Fairy.Azulmagia 2009-04-05 20:36:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Wooooodum said:
Avenged said:

O.Kotes is one of those rare "One or the other drops". Either those Knuckles or O.Kotes drop; you will never not get a drop, nor will you never get both; because of the fact the drop on either is a pre-determined percentage, Treasure Hunter will not increase the drop rate. You either get O.Kotes or the Knuckles.

With Mary's Horn, though, you either get the drop or you don't; meaning Treasure Hunter affects it the same way it does (if at all, but that's for another thread... lol) every other drop in the game. You're just unlucky - I'm 2/6 on Mary without any TH whatsoever. Kill it 1000 times with and withouth TH and you'll have a much clearer opinion of whether it makes a difference or not.

I actually had a fairly lengthy argument with a THF competitor for LL last night in South Gusta. Was difficult explaining the idea of Beastmen having a 100% chance of dropping ''something'' and that, for instance, raising the rate on kote would mean you'd have to decrease rate on knuckles (which TH simply doesn't do).

They ended up deciding to help me camp Lizzy (I was /RNG, they weren't) and we /flist'd each other, but 0/3 ; ; Sosad.
 Bahamut.Avenged
By Bahamut.Avenged 2009-04-05 20:37:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Tavlov said:
I got mary's drop first time i killed her, no TH. like 0/6 since. SE said something about TH not helping on rare/ex items, so keep that in mind.

The drop isnt ra/ex lol. Mary's Horn

Azulmagia said:
Wooooodum said:
Avenged said:

I actually had a fairly lengthy argument with a THF competitor for LL last night in South Gusta. Was difficult explaining the idea of Beastmen having a 100% chance of dropping ''something'' and that, for instance, raising the rate on kote would mean you'd have to decrease rate on knuckles (which TH simply doesn't do).

They ended up deciding to help me camp Lizzy (I was /RNG, they weren't) and we /flist'd each other, but 0/3 ; ; Sosad.

lol i love arguing about stuff like that. and 0/3 isnt bad at all lol. i went 1/10 and im considered lucky for that.
 Siren.Enternius
Server: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-04-05 20:40:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Avenged said:
Tavlov said:

The drop isnt ra/ex lol. Mary's Horn

Azulmagia said:
Wooooodum said:
Avenged said:

lol i love arguing about stuff like that. and 0/3 isnt bad at all lol. i went 1/10 and im considered lucky for that.

1/1 O Kote, 1/2 Sarutobi Kyahan, 1/1 Empress Hairpin, 1/1 Bounding Boots, 1/2 Vali's Bow, 1/3 Retaliators...1/13 Soboro Sukehiro, 1/16 Swift Belt.

75 THF for all of the above, sans the last two. I can't attribute it all to the TH. I usually have good luck.
 Bahamut.Avenged
By Bahamut.Avenged 2009-04-05 20:45:12
Link | Quote | Reply

okay you came here jus to bust everyones bubble lol. 1/6 o kote, 1/6 sarutobi, 1/2 emp hairpin, 1/10 bounding boots, 1/1 soboro, 1/2 swift belt. i guess those numbers arent too bad :P
 Fairy.Azulmagia
By Fairy.Azulmagia 2009-04-05 20:50:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Avenged said:

I meant 0/3 for that night.
 Bahamut.Avenged
By Bahamut.Avenged 2009-04-05 20:50:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Azulmagia said:
Avenged said:

I meant 0/3 for that night.

yeah i know. jus sayin to keep goin lol
 Odin.Mooner
Server: Odin
user: Mooner
By Odin.Mooner 2009-04-05 21:00:21
Link | Quote | Reply

As a 75thf who has done is fair share of farming it should help the drop rate with TH because TH effects the amount of possible drops I.E. some1 mentioned o kotes an some1 else replyed that its 100% due to either that or knuckles drop which is true but if monster can drop more than one item TH will help ^.^
 Bahamut.Avenged
By Bahamut.Avenged 2009-04-05 21:07:01
Link | Quote | Reply

oh cool thanks. imma try to find a 75 thf to come for a pop or two. :D
 Ragnarok.Ashman
Server: Ragnarok
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2009-04-05 21:29:04
Link | Quote | Reply

mary's horn is rare. youre better off spam killing and getting 3-4 more kills in the time it would take to hunt down the thf. all placebo hunter is going to do is give you some sheep meat.
 Ragnarok.Charley
Server: Ragnarok
user: Charley
By Ragnarok.Charley 2009-04-05 21:47:56
Link | Quote | Reply

There's two place holders for Stray Mary. One by the hill East of the Craig and one directly south from there. So it's possible to kill two within minutes apart from each other. I've also seen 2 Mary Horns dropped from one Stray Mary. Good luck hunting.

PS. LL have two place holders, too.
 Asura.Ludoggy
Server: Asura
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-04-05 21:49:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Charley...you have no clue what you are talking about...do ya?
 Bahamut.Avenged
By Bahamut.Avenged 2009-04-05 21:55:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Charley said:
There's two place holders for Stray Mary. One by the hill East of the Craig and one directly south from there. So it's possible to kill two within minutes apart from each other. I've also seen 2 Mary Horns dropped from one Stray Mary. Good luck hunting.

PS. LL have two place holders, too.

That post was full of fail. LOL
 Odin.Mooner
Server: Odin
user: Mooner
By Odin.Mooner 2009-04-05 22:07:22
Link | Quote | Reply

True it will get u much more sheep meat and skins too but when it comes to the nm he has the chance to drop the horn to so TH would up your possible drops and droprates of all items
 Garuda.Ishkur
user: Ishkur
By Garuda.Ishkur 2009-04-05 22:09:23
Link | Quote | Reply

How many hours have you farmed this? from your 0/7 I'd say min 14 hrs...
I would just farm gil some other way (w/e suits you for making gil) and buy the damn horn... it's a devilish thing that drop rate!
I bet wooo got it twice not needing it... but when you need it SE screws you over and over and over and over........ and over again <.<;
in 14 hrs you should be able to make 200k or close to it at least :X
 Seraph.Kyaaadaa
Server: Seraph
user: Kyaaadaa
By Seraph.Kyaaadaa 2009-04-05 22:31:39
Link | Quote | Reply

i was 1/71 on LL, and not on the character i originally wanted the boots on.
 Fairy.Azulmagia
By Fairy.Azulmagia 2009-04-05 22:50:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Ishkur said:
I would just farm gil some other way (w/e suits you for making gil) and buy the damn horn... it's a devilish thing that drop rate!
I bet wooo got it twice not needing it... but when you need it SE screws you over and over and over and over........ and over again <.<;

Somebody's gotta farm the horn, or there won't be enough in circulation to suit all the BRDs!
 Garuda.Ishkur
user: Ishkur
By Garuda.Ishkur 2009-04-06 12:36:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Azulmagia said:
Ishkur said:

Somebody's gotta farm the horn, or there won't be enough in circulation to suit all the BRDs!

Meh I vote that ppl that see it running around kill the NM, it's not worth the time idk if you've farmed it but it's a pain... HUGE spawn area + crappy drop rate = unhappy galka
 Bismarck.Brotz
Server: Bismarck
user: Brotz
By Bismarck.Brotz 2009-04-06 12:55:23
Link | Quote | Reply

learn how to camp it properly and its not a bad NM to camp, Just sucky drop rate lol. I've tried killing it in all different levels with andwithout TH but I've never made a real desicion as to what will make it drop lol.
Id say im 1/12 or so maybe more. but some times it was run into it and other i camped it
 Asura.Eeek
user: Eeek
By Asura.Eeek 2009-04-06 13:28:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Ishkur said:
Azulmagia said:
Ishkur said:

Meh I vote that ppl that see it running around kill the NM, it's not worth the time idk if you've farmed it but it's a pain... HUGE spawn area + crappy drop rate = unhappy galka

I'm 3/6 on Mary, and this is how I got all my claims. I used to farm the Highlands religiously back in my nub days (THF using /RNG for farming and farmed the area from my mid30s through 60ish), and while I did sometimes scan for Mary, sometimes I just stumbled upon her during the course of farming.

Of course, I had to buy the Mary's Horn that I use on my BRD.
 Asura.Icon
user: ic0n67
By Asura.Icon 2009-04-06 13:47:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Maybe you should just go for only skins, that was you are guaranteed to get what you don't want.

One time when I got Stray Mary I was just there to farm skins. So I'm killing an some Mithra runs up and starts /slaping up. I was a BLM at the time, but I wasn't training and -againg a group of mobs (which I kinda find rude to be honest). So I start bitching back asking why I was getting slapped, she pointed, I said "oh..". That was horn #2.

Another time I was farming skins for a little bit before I got called to an exp party. I warp back to town and do my party thing. After all was said and done with exp in the bank I go to get rid of some equipment and lo and behold a Mary's Horn was in my inventory. So not paying attention I didn't even realize I got the drop. That was horn #3.
 Asura.Ludoggy
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-04-06 14:08:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I wish I was that lucky to kill nm's without noticing and crap...
First Page 2