Whats With Killing Other Peoples Magian NMs ?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Servers » Carbuncle » Whats with killing other peoples Magian NMs ?
Whats with killing other peoples Magian NMs ?
 Carbuncle.Joeywheeler
Server: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: Novax
By Carbuncle.Joeywheeler 2011-11-06 09:40:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Vnms are just another bad idea from SE. The thing is though, there's 1-2k people/server. Everyone wanting the same things, no one is going to wait up for someone unless they may know you.

It's not really greedy for them to go after something they need, because I guarantee they're calling you greedy for outpopping them as well. It's a flawed system you do what you can with it.
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2011-11-06 09:50:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Jeubond said: »
One of the nicer aspects for me of these Magian and other trials is the way you can turn up to camp an nm, find others also after it, join up and not only make new friends but also have a laugh somtimes to boot while you wait in some cases a lifetime !

However, a disturbing new trend [for me] that has taken place twice with me now is while camping abyssite nm's, when while running 137 yalms SE then back 78 yalms NE [etc, etc] I have been within spitting distance only to find a Nin or Thf popping up in front of me who then proceed to pop the nm that I and others have waited for.
On both occasions these greedy selfish players have been accompanied by a Whm who then s/i's them so that they can steal the nm without anyone doing anything about it.
It's a complete waste of time of course trying to appeal to their better natures, they want seals and are not prepared to either share or wait.

The fact that they have no Blm to process and therefore have even more seals doesn't seem to stop them, sad indeed . . .
Jon

I see what you're trying to convey ... but I think you're in the wrong thread, sir.

This thread is about people randomly killing lame, worthless low-level NMs when they stand to gain nothing from the kill. Many of these NM's take several hours to lottery spawn, and one usually has to kill it 3 to 6 times to satisfy the requirements for a Magian Trial.
It has nothing to do with Abyssea, or any force-pop NMs.

We're talking about NM's like (just some randomly-chosen examples):

Seww
Vuu Puqu
Lambert, and
Dracos
 Asura.Werdxi
Server: Asura
user: drewxi
By Asura.Werdxi 2011-11-06 10:07:17
Link | Quote | Reply

This will happen in any situation where a person can mess with something you're doing. I guess a good portion of ppl, or perhaps those just on Asura, find more pleasure in making you have a bad day, rather than accomplishing something for themselves. Its not even rare. I guess the whole internet between them and you makes them feel like a 7 foot 400 pound wrestler that can do whatever the hell they damn want. The true nature of humans is a sight to behold.
By mortontony1 2011-11-06 10:07:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I've never had any bad experiences with NMs, guess I'm one of the lucky few. Every time I go into a zone for an NM I /sea area just to see who else is working on same NM, and ask to join party if there is anyone, I've actually afk'd most of my trial so far and I'm almost to the VNMs.
 Asura.Ina
user: Inasura
By Asura.Ina 2011-11-06 10:07:46
Link | Quote | Reply

He could easily be refering to the VNMs following the lottory pop NMs as well... tammuz and chesma can get *** blocked like no other if people arn't communicating.
 Asura.Werdxi
user: drewxi
By Asura.Werdxi 2011-11-06 10:12:52
Link | Quote | Reply

mortontony1 said: »
I've never had any bad experiences with NMs, guess I'm one of the lucky few. Every time I go into a zone for an NM I /sea area just to see who else is working on same NM, and ask to join party if there is anyone, I've actually afk'd most of my trial so far and I'm almost to the VNMs.

Yah, i really wish this worked. but sometime around the abyssea release, people just ignore everybody now. like asking to join a party for a simple kill count or anything similarly simple. You dont get responses from anybody anymore unless you can give them something they want. sad day
 Asura.Solara
user: solara
By Asura.Solara 2011-11-06 10:15:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ina said: »
He could easily be refering to the VNMs following the lottory pop NMs as well... tammuz and chesma can get *** blocked like no other if people arn't communicating.

Could be, except the whole "they want seals and are not prepared to either share or wait. The fact that they have no Blm to process and therefore have even more seals doesn't seem to stop them" part. Gotta get those Tammuz seals, amirite?
By mortontony1 2011-11-06 10:17:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Werdxi said: »

Yah, i really wish this worked. but sometime around the abyssea release, people just ignore everybody now. like asking to join a party for a simple kill count or anything similarly simple. You dont get responses from anybody anymore unless you can give them something they want. sad day

Dude Asura must suck then, people are still chill with it on Fenrir.
 Odin.Liela
Server: Odin
user: Liela
By Odin.Liela 2011-11-06 10:47:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I've really never had a problem with it here on Odin, either. Most times if there's two people after the same Magian NM, they'll team up. In fact, last Christmas Eve I was camping a Magian NM, teamed up with a few other people, killed it a couple times, and then had to go afk to the Christmas Eve church service with my family. I went and stood in a corner and told them I was leaving and why and apologized to them, and they not only killed it for me, they pulled it to me to make sure I got credit for it, and then D2'd me when they knew I was finished with the trial. People are super nice here.
 Asura.Wilmakitty
By Asura.Wilmakitty 2011-11-06 11:13:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I haven't had this experience on Asura. I am working on 2 different weapons (4 if you count helping my bf) and as of yet have not had 1 instance where someone acted like what the OP experienced. I know that anytime I have been asked I have invited others and I have always been invited. One time on Hotpot we killed the NM just as someone popped with flag, couldn't get the guy to accept invite fast enough and offered to stay and kill for him (even though we were done) He refused our help. Asura isn't all a$$hats and I really wish people would quit making it out to be that way.. I know we have some real winners but nothing unusual.
 Valefor.Lieniite
Server: Valefor
user: Lieniite
By Valefor.Lieniite 2011-11-06 11:24:37
Link | Quote | Reply

If I run around on my way to somewhere and see an NM, I tend to kill it unless

a) there is people close to the spot clearly camping it or

b) I know for a fact its a trial nm

Do I know every single NM needed for every single trial? No, am I going to look every NM up I run across in each low level zone? No

There is a difference between stealing a mob off a person/group camping it compared to killing a lone NM with no one around.

Respect that someone, somewhere, somewhen may need it? Please give me a break, if you really thought that way you would never get anything done in this game.
[+]
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
Server: Bahamut
user: Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2011-11-06 11:43:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Elanabelle said: »
Ragnarok.Madmaxximist said: »
You know the magian trials have only been around for a fraction of the time this game has. personally, when i see an nm my first reaction is to kill it, been that way for the almost 8 years ive been in ffxi. alot of these magian nms are dead before you can blink an eye. i get that you are trying to work on a magian weapon, i have an 85 caladbolg and my nm was taken from me on a couple of occasions, but you can't get mad at people trying to play the game the way it has always been played. this is just the nature of the game.

What?

That's not the nature of the game. That's the nature of lazy and/or ill-informed players.
Granted, there are a lot of lazy and ill-informed players out there, so I see your point.

That said, c'mon people. We all knew doing pre-Empyrean Weapon "X number of Y dumb NM kills" sucks. Have respect for your fellow player(s) ... don't kill NM's that are being camped for Magian Trials. Most of those NM's drop nothing of value.

Considering the nature of the game is subjective to each player and each player has a right to any unclaimed monster, yes it's the nature of the game.

See an NM kill it, if people want to play that way it's well within their right to do so.

Don't tell others how to play, it you seem like a pretentious ***
[+]
 Carbuncle.Grandthief
By Carbuncle.Grandthief 2011-11-06 12:09:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I think some ppl should really google "ethics" to get an idea what everyone else is talking about. The fact that you CAN do something doesn't mean that you SHOULD do it.

If you cut the line irl, you get yelled at, at the very least, if not punched in the face right away.

If you'd always do how you feel like, I guess then there were a whole lot more mass-murderers out there.

To be frank though, being a selfish *** always helps, at least the ones being it. Yet, this is an MMO where you're supposed to play WITH other ppl and not AGAINST them. If you don't understand that, I suggest you switch to a single-player game instead.

It's not about right or wrong given to you by the rules of this game but about the rules given to you by society, which should also apply in FFXI because there are always other ppl behind those toons.
By mortontony1 2011-11-06 12:11:02
Link | Quote | Reply

There is no ethical code in FFXI. They totally have the right to "steal" anyone's NM they want. It might make them an ***, but it's well within their right to be an ***.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Grandthief
By Carbuncle.Grandthief 2011-11-06 12:14:50
Link | Quote | Reply

There is no ethical code in FFXI. They totally have the right to "steal" anyone's NM they want. It might make them an ***, but it's well within their right to be an ***.
It certainly is your right, that's what the rules of this game are for.
Doesn't make you a good person though to be an idiot stealing something with no gain for yourself and only causing loss for other ppl.

It just makes you an idiot. =)
[+]
 Bismarck.Altar
user: altar1
By Bismarck.Altar 2011-11-06 14:50:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Jeubond said: »
However, a disturbing new trend [for me] that has taken place twice with me now is while camping abyssite nm's, when while running 137 yalms SE then back 78 yalms NE [etc, etc] I have been within spitting distance only to find a Nin or Thf popping up in front of me who then proceed to pop the nm that I and others have waited for.
On both occasions these greedy selfish players have been accompanied by a Whm who then s/i's them so that they can steal the nm without anyone doing anything about it.
It's a complete waste of time of course trying to appeal to their better natures, they want seals and are not prepared to either share or wait.

The fact that they have no Blm to process and therefore have even more seals doesn't seem to stop them, sad indeed . . .
Jon

If you're killing the t2 VNMs in Hero zones for seals, and complaining about other people killing them without procing, you should go jump of a cliff. Or die in a fire.

This message brought to you by all the people working on Empyrean Harps/Shields.
[+]
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2011-11-07 11:35:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Grandthief said: »
I think some ppl should really google "ethics" to get an idea what everyone else is talking about. The fact that you CAN do something doesn't mean that you SHOULD do it.

If you cut the line irl, you get yelled at, at the very least, if not punched in the face right away.

If you'd always do how you feel like, I guess then there were a whole lot more mass-murderers out there.

To be frank though, being a selfish *** always helps, at least the ones being it. Yet, this is an MMO where you're supposed to play WITH other ppl and not AGAINST them. If you don't understand that, I suggest you switch to a single-player game instead.

It's not about right or wrong given to you by the rules of this game but about the rules given to you by society, which should also apply in FFXI because there are always other ppl behind those toons.

Again: everyone in the game pays their dues to play everyone is entitled to play HOW THEY WANT TO, regardless of some fabricated artificial social status quo.

Get over yourself.

Carbuncle.Grandthief said: »
It certainly is your right, that's what the rules of this game are for.
Doesn't make you a good person though to be an idiot stealing something with no gain for yourself and only causing loss for other ppl.

It just makes you an idiot. =)

It makes one an idiot for telling others how to play a game they pay for.

Some people enjoy killing any NM they see, what gives anyone the right to tell them they can't do it when it's NOT THEIR GAME?
 Bismarck.Angeleus
user: Munky
By Bismarck.Angeleus 2011-11-07 11:57:31
Link | Quote | Reply

This is the only NM i enjoy killing when he's up http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Overlord_Bakgodek

Death 11:02 pm est Sunday.

Who ever wants to kill him for the fun of it.
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2011-11-07 12:41:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Angeleus said: »
This is the only NM i enjoy killing when he's up http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Overlord_Bakgodek

Death 11:02 pm est Sunday.

Who ever wants to kill him for the fun of it.

Oh I haven't killed that guy in years, nostalgia...
 Carbuncle.Grandthief
By Carbuncle.Grandthief 2011-11-08 01:43:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Jetackuu said: »
Again: everyone in the game pays their dues to play everyone is entitled to play HOW THEY WANT TO, regardless of some fabricated artificial social status quo.

Get over yourself.
I see, so when I rent an apartment or ride the bus, I'm allowed to do whatever I want with them? Can just trash them and and poke ppl around as I wish, without fearing any consequences, just because I pay for them?

Of course it's only a game and no one says anything against exploring and killing NMs but not if you are just being a jackass towards other ppl (real human beings behind every friggin toon!) because you can feel safe behind the internet.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but being an idiot has nothing to do with the place where you have like one.
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2011-11-08 13:58:50
Link | Quote | Reply

1. don't be obtuse.

2. you cannot compare apples and oranges.

3. I never said anything about blatantly getting in people's way, but if I want to kill something I'm going to kill it, I'm not going to just leave it alone because somebody else MAY need it.

4. don't use the phrase "toon" it's disgusting.

5. it has nothing to do with "feeling safe", also real world "manners" don't really take precedence in an online game that belongs to somebody you pay, as long as you follow that persons rules you're free to do what you want. (let's take your ridiculous bus idea: technically in the real world poking somebody constitutes as assault, and "trashing them" probably will constitute as harassment, regardless of where your at)

6. As to your last line there, restructure your sentence to make sense and I'll give you a retort to it as well.

bottom line:

FFXI =/= real world.

Unclaimed is fair game to ANYONE

get over it.
 Carbuncle.Grandthief
By Carbuncle.Grandthief 2011-11-09 10:22:53
Link | Quote | Reply

W/e, really.

1) FFXI certainly isn't the real world and yet there are real people in it, it's very hard to understand, isn't it!?

2) Behaviour towards other ppl = behaviour towards other ppl. No matter if it's IRL or in a video game.

3) Killing something, knowing you have no gain from it and that other ppl would have = stupid.

4) Toon.

5) It's hiding behind the rules SE set for you, completely ignoring ethical rules that should apply to everyone of us, everywhere.

6) Being an idiot IRL = being an idiot. Being an idiot in a video game = being an idiot.

Bottom line:
You can do whatever you want, everywhere, IRL or in a video game.
You can ignore the common law and go rob a bank or kill people, you're free to do all of it because you have the freedom to do so by the rule of "free will".
Which still doesn't make it the right thing(s) to do.

If you don't respect other people and have no manners, then that can't be helped. But don't try to justify bad behaviour towards other ppl.

Getting over it now.
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2011-11-09 15:14:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Here's a few points where you're mistaken.

It does make a difference between interactions online and in the "real world" regardless of what you say.

Gain, ethics, "bad" and "the right thing to do" are subjective concepts, you should learn this as apparently you don't know it.

Playing a game how you want by the rules of the game is not morally wrong by any set of standards so move along.

(Also calling people an idiot is getting you nowhere, nice try though...)

Just for this I'm going to go kill some NM's.

(edit: also again with your apples to oranges, you cannot compare a set of subjective morals to law and say they are the same thing...)