BLM Gear 60+?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Black Mage » BLM Gear 60+?
BLM Gear 60+?
First Page 2
 Bismarck.Misao
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: misacat
By Bismarck.Misao 2011-04-18 11:24:28
Link | Quote | Reply

So after some goofing around, I decided to go back and work on BLM.
currently sitting on 60, not geared and such.
What gear would work out to gear BLM up, up until AF3+ ?
I never bothered with AM spells due to the cost (and AM2). are these worth it, or to just farm them whenever just to have them?
and where would be a nice places to xp blm before abyssea?
my Ele Magic is currently capped for a 88 sch and +8 merits in it

the new trial staffs, ones with element affinity, are the new elemental staffs?
[+]
 Cerberus.Kvazz
Server: Cerberus
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2011-04-18 11:32:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Misao said:
I never bothered with AM spells due to the cost (and AM2). are these worth it, or to just farm them whenever just to have them?

AM spells are grellow spells, so you need them.
Edit: And yes, the trial staffs are superior to HQ staff, by a pretty huge amount.
[+]
 Ifrit.Zerovirus
Server: Ifrit
user: Vextra
By Ifrit.Zerovirus 2011-04-18 11:33:04
Link | Quote | Reply

If you can't be bothered to get the spells, why bother leveling the job?

And yes you need all the AM spells.
[+]
Server: Titan
user: batboy267
By Titan.Darkwizardzin 2011-04-18 11:33:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Get af1 if you haven't already.

when you get to 75+ get the teal gear on the vision abyssea zones.

The igqira set is also a nice option at this point as well.
 Lakshmi.Hypnotizd
Server: Lakshmi
user: hypnotizd
By Lakshmi.Hypnotizd 2011-04-18 11:35:18
Link | Quote | Reply

You need gear to open chests in Abyssea?
[+]
 Sylph.Hitetsu
Server: Sylph
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2011-04-18 11:38:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Looking at it from a strictly nuking perspective:

I'd be happy to do a more in-depth set of gear though if you wish.
[+]
 Bismarck.Misao
By Bismarck.Misao 2011-04-18 11:48:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Hitetsu said:
Looking at it from a strictly nuking perspective:

I'd be happy to do a more in-depth set of gear though if you wish.
oh neat thanks! that should help plan a layout.
and I guess i will start farming those AM1 spells now :x
By daddyrabbit4444 2011-04-18 12:10:47
Link | Quote | Reply

best place to solo @60 is bibiki bay killing the pet rahab there, @ level 60 u can pretty much expect chain 5 to be around 1300 exp. per kill! and that without a band, so with a band around 2k per kill
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2011-04-18 13:43:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Misao said:

Here's a good gear set for BLM @ level 65:

And here's a good gear set for BLM @ level 75:

Yes, you need to have AM scrolls. And yes you need Sleepga II.
You need to stay current with Enfeebling Magic skill and Dark Magic skill, not just Elemental Magic skill.
HQ level 51 elemental staves and the newer "trial" staves are both good options.
You can solo BST mobs' pets as BLM 60+. There is a guide for this @ ffxiclopedia.org.
[+]
 Sylph.Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2011-04-18 17:23:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't know what kind of BLM's you were hanging around with at 75, but some of those gear choices are questionable at best.

When you aren't resisting (which on anything but old HNM, a 75BLM shouldn't resist more than 5% of the time), all that Skill+ and MAcc+ junk is pointless.

This set would pack a much bigger punch than the "good gear" you put together (and aside from 1 piece, it isn't exactly "elite").
[+]
 Cerberus.Kvazz
Server: Cerberus
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2011-04-18 17:41:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Elanabelle said:

Jet seraweels? really? no. never.
[+]
 Siren.Kunimatsu
Server: Siren
user: Kunimatsu
By Siren.Kunimatsu 2011-04-18 17:51:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kvazz said:

Jet seraweels? really? no. never.

inb4 no -VIT on seraweels comment.
[+]
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2011-04-18 21:20:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Hitetsu said:
I don't know what kind of BLM's you were hanging around with at 75, but some of those gear choices are questionable at best.

When you aren't resisting (which on anything but old HNM, a 75BLM shouldn't resist more than 5% of the time), all that Skill+ and MAcc+ junk is pointless.

This set would pack a much bigger punch than the "good gear" you put together (and aside from 1 piece, it isn't exactly "elite").

You're a jackass.
If I wanted to post "the best most elite" gear for a 75 BLM, I would have done just that. But, no, I posted a "good" gear set for a 75 BLM ... and since the OP is new to BLM, I don't see why that wouldn't be reasonable.

Some people (e.g. you) are such pigheads. Sheesh.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Ramuh.Lorzy
Server: Ramuh
user: Lorzy
By Ramuh.Lorzy 2011-04-18 21:37:23
Link | Quote | Reply

considering mahatma and jets have always been around the same price, why wouldn't you get the one that's better?

also why would you put novio in the level 75 set and not try to put the best damaging gear in other slots? it's not like people are going to have the gil to buy novio but not enough to buy cheaper AH gear. most level 75 blm gear is pretty cheap now.

i'd say that demon helm +1 is easier to get than af1+1. i don't know if anyone would bother fighting the nm for rostrums nowadays. i don't see any point whatsoever in nuking in a sturm's report, and phantom tathlum is easier to get anyway. elemental grips eat up inventory space and bugard +1 does more damage anyway.
[+]
 Ramuh.Lorzy
By Ramuh.Lorzy 2011-04-18 21:38:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahfk said:
Can't believe people are fighting about

INT+1
DEF+5
vs
MP+15
VIT+6

1 INT in both of those builds does near nothing
1 int still does more damage than 0 int.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Ramuh.Lorzy
By Ramuh.Lorzy 2011-04-18 21:45:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahfk said:
1 INT in both of those builds does near nothing

If you desire to argue a valid one could be why don't you both have Uggalepih on the 75 build? would make a lot more difference that one INT, like adding ~12 INT and not a rare piece.

hate to see Novio/genie and then philomath or some ele skill crap?
because you're always under 51% mp? if you weren't under the latent, prudence and philomath were better at 75.

but i agree on the novio, made that point earlier. it's not like people are going to have novio and no access to other gear.
[+]
 Leviathan.Novax
Server: Leviathan
user: Novax
By Leviathan.Novax 2011-04-18 21:50:07
Link | Quote | Reply

For a new blm w/ little to no 75 end game gear.
 Ramuh.Lorzy
By Ramuh.Lorzy 2011-04-18 22:12:15
Link | Quote | Reply

going off your sch gear, you can use goliard until eradico/af3+1 if you don't have zenith mitts. i'm sure you get the basic idea with everyone's sets, and blm nuking gear aside from af3 is pretty similar to sch nuking gear. teal saio is a sidegrade to genie weskit (genie is better on higher tier nukes, but teal is cheap). teal head is good until a good trophy hat or af3+1, same damage as demon helm +1 but better for stoneskin and useful for fastcast with the full set.

at 60 i used af1 hat and cobra coat (2 int). aside from that i think hitetsu's original post was really good.
 Bismarck.Misao
By Bismarck.Misao 2011-04-18 23:54:13
Link | Quote | Reply

coool, thanks everyone for the input ^^ /
[+]
 Ifrit.Zerovirus
By Ifrit.Zerovirus 2011-04-19 00:06:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Hitetsu said:

You're a jackass.
If I wanted to post "the best most elite" gear for a 75 BLM, I would have done just that. But, no, I posted a "good" gear set for a 75 BLM ... and since the OP is new to BLM, I don't see why that wouldn't be reasonable.

Lol says the person who put a novio in their item set.
[+]
 Sylph.Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2011-04-19 02:50:25
Link | Quote | Reply

You're a jackass.

I'm a jackass, you're 100% correct (for possibly the first time, congrats on that!), but considering your "good gear" contains a Novio (something I still don't have for my BLM), I doubt it'd be too big a stretch for the "new to BLM" to be able to skip it and add everything else from the set I listed. Granted, I included it in mine, but I couldn't very well drop it and claim my set was the better option, could I?

Some people (e.g. you) just need to stop playing BLM.

As for the "arguing over 1 INT" thing, I count 12 MAB and 4 INT between the two sets - I assure you, that'll be noticable. The reason people "argued" over Mahatma/Jets in the past is because people who used Jet's are HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE (and I still see people using them today /headdesk).

It may just be me, but I see no point in using excess Accuracy on things I cap out on. Unlike DD's, BLM didn't need much Accuracy to "hit" (land unresisted nukes) on junk mobs.
[+]
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2011-04-19 09:25:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Hitetsu said:
You're a jackass.

I'm a jackass, you're 100% correct (for possibly the first time, congrats on that!), but considering your "good gear" contains a Novio (something I still don't have for my BLM), I doubt it'd be too big a stretch for the "new to BLM" to be able to skip it and add everything else from the set I listed. Granted, I included it in mine, but I couldn't very well drop it and claim my set was the better option, could I?

As for the "arguing over 1 INT" thing, I count 12 MAB and 4 INT between the two sets - I assure you, that'll be noticable. The reason people "argued" over Mahatma/Jets in the past is because people who used Jet's are HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE (and I still see people using them today /headdesk).

It may just be me, but I see no point in using excess Accuracy on things I cap out on. Unlike DD's, BLM didn't need much Accuracy to "hit" (land unresisted nukes) on junk mobs.

Listen, self-proclaimed jackass:
More likely than not, I was 75 BLM before you started playing FFXI. Don't come in here and try to act all rough n' tough. I come from a time when nuking as a BLM meant you knew how to nuke something other than Ebony Puddings, Wamoura Princes, and Goblin's Rarabs.

Before the level 76+ updates, PLEASE don't try to come in here and tell me that you had 95% unresisted nukes using purely MAB equipment when nuking Proto-Ultima, Ouryu Cometh, Tinnin, Armed Gears, Krabkatoa, Wulgaru, Kirin, Suzaku, Ullikummi, etc.
No way, no how, no; not even with fully merited Elemental Magic Skill.

Now I realize the level cap increases have allowed BLMs a lot more slack, since most targets, even the more difficult ones, aren't 12+ levels above the BLM's max level. And Atma (Ultimate, for example) provide large bonuses to Magic Accuracy. However, there are STILL times where nuking in purely MAB gear is going to make your nukes look pathetic (Ningishizda, Ulhuadashi, and others). Furthermore, if the post-90 updates bring new, more challenging, non-Abyssea NMs (as we all suspect will happen), you best not forget how to blend/optimize your Elemental Magic skill and Magic Accuracy with your beloved INT and MAB to avoid wasting your MP on partially-resisted nukes.

Since the OP is requesting help gearing up as a "new" BLM, I felt it prudent to share with him/her how to gear BLM like a classically effective BLM, not a trisomy 21 Abyssea MAB-onry BLM.

OP, if you'd like any more advice on BLM in the future, feel free to reach me by PM here, or by /tell in-game. Or, if you'd prefer to be a trisomy 21 BLM, feel free to follow along with Hitetsu and Kvazz here. Be my guest.
[+]
 Leviathan.Novax
Server: Leviathan
user: Novax
By Leviathan.Novax 2011-04-19 09:52:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Hitetsu said:
You're a jackass.

More likely than not, I was 75 BLM before you started playing FFXI. Don't come in here and try to act all rough n' tough. I come from a time when nuking as a BLM meant you knew how to nuke something other than Ebony Puddings, Wamoura Princes, and Goblin's Rarabs.

Before the level 76+ updates, PLEASE don't try to come in here and tell me that you had 95% unresisted nukes using purely MAB equipment when nuking Proto-Ultima, Ouryu Cometh, Tinnin, Armed Gears, Krabkatoa, Wulgaru, Kirin, Suzaku, Ullikummi, etc.

Now I realize the level cap increases have allowed BLMs a lot more slack, since most targets, even the more difficult ones, aren't 12+ levels above the BLM's max level. And Atma (Ultimate, for example) provide large bonuses to Magic Accuracy. However, there are STILL times where nuking in purely MAB gear is going to make your nukes look pathetic (Ningishizda, Ulhuadashi, and others). Furthermore, if the post-90 updates bring new, more challenging, non-Abyssea NMs (as we all suspect will happen), you best not forget how to blend/optimize your Elemental Magic skill and Magic Accuracy with your beloved INT and MAB to avoid wasting your MP on partially-resisted nukes.

Since the OP is requesting help gearing up as a "new" BLM, I felt it prudent to share with him/her how to gear BLM like a classically effective BLM, not a trisomy 21 Abyssea MAB-onry BLM.

OP, if you'd like any more advice on BLM in the future, feel free to reach me by PM here, or by /tell in-game. Or, if you'd prefer to be a trisomy 21 BLM, feel free to follow along with Hitetsu and Kvazz here. Be my guest.

Had to google what Trisomy 21 was, good laugh :P.
[+]
 Siren.Kunimatsu
user: Kunimatsu
By Siren.Kunimatsu 2011-04-19 10:08:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Or, if you'd prefer to be a trisomy 21 BLM, feel free to follow along with Hitetsu and Kvazz here. Be my guest.

Kvazz actually only called you out on jet seraweels, which DO NOT beat mahatma slops, even with your macc argument, the extra INT will help with resist rate.

Adding the fact that they've usually been around the same price, theres no reason to use jets over mahatma, other than "zomg -6 VIT u gunna get one shotted xD"

8 > 7.
[+]
 Sylph.Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2011-04-19 10:13:48
Link | Quote | Reply

So angry. At no point did I mention anything over 75.

Let's see, Lv.85+ NM's with high stats that could kill a careless ally, sounds pretty similar to "HNM" or "HNM standard" mobs to me. If you looked, you'd notice I already covered the "on anything except old HNM" (you know, Gods/HNM/Limbus bosses, that sort of stuff). I'll admit, I've never done Salvage as BLM, though I've only done maybe 3 runs in total?

As for "resisting on Ulhuadshi", I've never had an issue with that, even if my Full damage gear. Maybe I was lucky, who knows? Granted I've only killed him on BLM a handful of times (I normally go places as WHM).

Though I agree, post-90 will most likely bring a whole barrel of new NM's that actually require some thought going into them, but that's not today.

Also, your concern for my ability to mix my MAB/INT/Skill/Accuracy gear together is touching, but I assure you, I'm still good enough to make proper trades.

Bytheby though, I'm hardly an "Abyssea BLM" myself, or at least I'd expect my 7 years of the job to discount me from that group.

At no point did I say resist/Accuracy sets are useless (though you make it sound like I did), I said that they're not needed as a rule (especially not for EXP'ing). If you had read my original post, I did mention a few Skill+ pieces and noted that they should be used if the OP is getting a lot of resists.
[+]
 Siren.Kuz
user: RobKuz
By Siren.Kuz 2011-04-19 10:20:10
Link | Quote | Reply

You're a jackass.
If I wanted to post "the best most elite" gear for a 75 BLM, I would have done just that. But, no, I posted a "good" gear set for a 75 BLM ...

This comment, plus having a Novio with a Philomath Stole in that gear selection...
Makes you the Jackass.

Am I a level 75 BLM? No.
But I don't think anyone on this thread would disagree.
[+]
 Ifrit.Zerovirus
By Ifrit.Zerovirus 2011-04-19 10:20:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Bet he'd want op to use askar head over wally, lol jet seraweels.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
First Page 2