Dark Ring Farming
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
By Valefor.Prothescar 2011-10-25 17:40:50
Link | Quote | Reply

There is no way to limit temp items, it's random. I just get 70 or so amber lights to increase amber frequency a bit and call it a day.

usually I go out on MNK, cataclysm a few mobs to build amber to 60~70, then I just cruor chain tonberries or some other types of mobs. It's pretty good money NPCing the rings and getting a nice chunk of cruor in the meantime.

Also worth noting, I got my best dark rings (-5/-6 PDT/MDT and -6/-5 PDT/MDT) out of small chests.
 Bahamut.Dannyl
Server: Bahamut
user: dannyl
By Bahamut.Dannyl 2011-10-25 17:43:25
Link | Quote | Reply

So the discussion is revolving around whether or not capping amber is a good thing vs. not capping it correct?

I will say this, through my own personal dark ring farming experience, without amber capped, and when dark rings come out of small chests, the augments have been utter ***, and or only 1 augment. The more I farmed amber to capp, the more I saw the increase in augments and multiple augments. Simply from my own experience, I always go after capped amber, I don't mind farming KI's either so I don't neglect that part during my farms. And I certainly won't stop at 128~ amber or whatever to try and avoid KI's levels. My suggestion would always be to capp amber.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Leviathan.Dodu
Server: Leviathan
user: Tsuko
By Leviathan.Dodu 2011-10-25 17:49:33
Link | Quote | Reply

There is no discussion. We know that having capped amber light is most beneficial. If your amber is uncapped, you're lessening the frequency at which they'll pop up over azure chests. The rate of augmented items doesn't become better or worse than other amber results, but the odds of new chances at all of them increase. After 128 amber, you'll stop seeing T1 triggers, and that slot is entirely replaced with KI. You go from a set distribution between pop items/lesser meds/augmented items to the same set distribution of KI/greater meds/augmented items.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Leviathan.Dodu
By Leviathan.Dodu 2011-10-25 18:08:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't need empirical proof that having a higher level of x-light increases the frequency in which that type of chest appears. If that's not apparent, you don't spend enough time in Abyssea, or you're absolutely blind. If you want to make claims that this rule suddenly stops applying at certain light levels, or that it doesn't apply to all lights, fine, but the burden of proof is on you. You're making assertions that are entirely counter-intuitive for no reason whatsoever.

I'm not even sure of the repercussions of what you're suggesting. Things we know for certain:

- Capping your pearlescent light raises your chest frequency.

- Any azure level above 128 is superfluous for the purpose of maintaining time. You've gone beyond the T5 chest threshold.

- At 128 azure and capped amber, you'll see more amber than you will azure.

Unless you disagree with one of those points(which, well, you can't), I don't see what you're arguing. Please start making a point, though, because this is becoming boring.

Post deleted by User.
 Leviathan.Dodu
By Leviathan.Dodu 2011-10-25 18:22:32
Link | Quote | Reply

That's entirely wrong, and anyone who's spent excessive time cleaving Empyreans can attest to it.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Fenrir.Skadoosh
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Skadoosh 2011-10-25 18:34:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I always thought that azure will do nothing to increase the frequency of blue chests, just the quality.
could be 100% wrong though i haven't done any samples or anything
 Fenrir.Leoheart
user: Leoheart
By Fenrir.Leoheart 2011-10-25 18:39:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I normally just cap only amber and pearl lights for dark ring farming, and then just get a full 2 hours of pure gold chests, ofcourse you'll get other chests, but a lot more gold as oposed to the other trash, I'd rather go without time extentions and actually receive results rather than getting only one or two gold chests within X amount of time.
I've yet too see a refresh hairpin, but the dark rings come in full.
 Leviathan.Dodu
By Leviathan.Dodu 2011-10-25 18:39:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Wait, what the hell? Of course you'll see an even light distribution when every light is equal. That's not what you've been saying. You've been saying that 0 Azure/255 Amber is the same as 128 Azure/255 Amber in terms of chest distribution, which is completely wrong.

Edit: Apparently that's not what you've been saying. We're now talking about two different things. Your format for talking about lights is terribly easy to misread.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Leviathan.Frotaut
user: Frotaut2
By Leviathan.Frotaut 2011-10-25 18:50:51
Link | Quote | Reply

the only thing I've noticed, and it could be just coincidence, is
that if lights are capped but i kill a mob using a certain light obtaining method ie. azure amber ruby pearl i seem to get more of those type of chest. Could be again just coincidence, but it seems if I'm cata-cleaving I'll see more gold boxes where as if I'm Whisker burning i'll get more blue / time boxes than anything. Again just what i've noticed.

Post deleted by User.
 Phoenix.Pooman
Server: Phoenix
user: Pooman
By Phoenix.Pooman 2011-10-25 18:58:22
Link | Quote | Reply

In terms of quality, 128 amber will get you exactly what 255 will. A big gold chest is a big gold chest. What comes out is just random. This is, of course, assuming you have the abyssites.
 Fenrir.Leoheart
user: Leoheart
By Fenrir.Leoheart 2011-10-25 18:59:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Pooman said: »
In terms of quality, 128 amber will get you exactly what 255 will. A big gold chest is a big gold chest. What comes out is just random. This is, of course, assuming you have the abyssites.

I've yet to see a decent dark ring without capped amber... might just be my bad luck but I've not seen a good one with that ammount of amber :/
 Phoenix.Pooman
user: Pooman
By Phoenix.Pooman 2011-10-25 19:03:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Leoheart said: »
Phoenix.Pooman said: »

I've yet to see a decent dark ring without capped amber... might just be my bad luck but I've not seen a good one with that ammount of amber :/

Just bad luck. There are people who have gone days of farming with capped amber without a good dark ring augment.
 Leviathan.Dodu
By Leviathan.Dodu 2011-10-25 19:19:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahkf said: »
Reread my post, that's not what I said.

when azure was zero, if amber was 128 or amber was 255, both would have the same drop rate of gold chests. of course if azure was 128 and amber was 255 we would see more blue chests than when azure is zero.

The dominant light has a higher drop rate and of course if azure was 240 amber 255 we'd see much more azure chests yes. But we would still see more amber than azure chests.

The reason I believe in this was because I ended up with pearl 200 azure 64 amber 128 for a couple hours and noticed the drop rate of gold chests was near identical to pearl 200 amber 255 azure 192. the increased light of each affected what was inside the chest but I found the same rates of gold to azure chests, that's all.

It lead me to believe that the ratio of the three lights azure ruby and amber combined make up the ratio of what chest seems to drop

Not to be a ***, but you realize you're now explaining how a ratio works? I don't think anyone disagrees with the common sense at play here.
 Cerberus.Sephrin
Server: Cerberus
user: xSephrinx
By Cerberus.Sephrin 2011-10-25 19:38:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry to interrupt your banter back and forth, but you also have to consider abyssite? They increase the drop rate of chests, yeah?

Post deleted by User.
 Leviathan.Dodu
By Leviathan.Dodu 2011-10-25 19:53:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Who doesn't believe you? We know how ratios work. I can't even begin to understand what you thought I meant by "increasing this light will increase its chest frequency".
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [469 days between previous and next post]
By Zyla 2013-02-05 22:33:30
Link | Quote | Reply

sry for the necro bump, but i was wondering, did i miss an update where they nerfed the drop rate of dark rings from gold boxes or something? i've tried several times to farm rings thus far and have yet to see any with capped amber. only dark ring i have i farmed like a year ago or so...

Post deleted by User.
By Zyla 2013-02-05 22:37:46
Link | Quote | Reply

hmm, i'll have to see if i can get ppl to help then, i almost exclusively farm aby with solo whisker burns.
 Phoenix.Kirana
By Phoenix.Kirana 2013-02-06 01:03:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Not sure if it was ever verified but I think you get better stats on the rings if you have capped amber (was mentioned earlier in this thread). I got my 6/6/5 and hairpin during capped amber.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [129 days between previous and next post]
 Asura.Bitesized
Server: Asura
user: Bitesized
By Asura.Bitesized 2013-06-14 21:35:05
Link | Quote | Reply

My two cents, I was running around at 150 amber for about three hours, no luck on dark rings. I decide to get it capped at 255 and I've gotten two pretty good ones within the past 30 minutes