Dark Ring Farming
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Sylph.Krsone
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Basilo
By Sylph.Krsone 2011-04-11 19:07:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Gather mobs >> whirl >> dflower >> rebuff >> evervation >> baffinity >> charged whisker >> whirl dead I perfer personally. Some ppl may just about get all mobs dead without the last whirl but I sold jupiters staff wen I got indra+2 and been too tight to buy another for this. Think max aga was every singly crawler at pascerpot camp think it was 18-20, killing this way keeps mobs ep which is nice. If you get even one player in your mob camp killing them individually it can totally *** a blu's kill speed over as you will simply be unable to sack as many mobs safely to aga kill. The main problem when mobs lvl up for solo blu aga farm is sacking mobs, they are alot more accurate and hit harder big difference in your hp rape 10 tough bats hitting you vs 18 eps/dcs.

Tahrongi, Thiene and Konst are the three zones I am least keen on for aga killing on blu, anything with a free spectator camp comes top, then bats and crawlers are good too. Tahrongi does have a bat camp but its always usually taken by a ki party, other zones have more options imo. Preferably anything that sound links or agroes. I lack cpants so overall Id say Grauberg is my favourite solo blu zone on spectators there as you can gain some distance on them using the trees in that area. Take them south towards dom npc a bit then aga finish talk to npc get new page repeat.
 Bahamut.Dasva
Server: Bahamut
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-04-12 05:34:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Btw anyone know good places to find empherals for lights?
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2011-04-12 05:45:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Ephemerals in Visions zones are a waste of time imo. They don't level up rapidly enough and are too few and far between to be worth the time compared to just burning through a bunch of VNMs.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-04-12 05:46:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm kinda soloing burning thru trash for lights is kinda meh
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2011-04-12 05:50:48
Link | Quote | Reply

VNMs give the same lights as ephemerals afaik. They're simply easier to find than limules and clionids are in Visions zones, as in Visions, they do not spawn in every mob family at once.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-04-12 06:00:08
Link | Quote | Reply

They aren't giving no where near as much. 2 empheral and 4-5 vnms and not capped
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2011-04-12 06:04:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Can almost guarantee that the ephemerals were probably DC or so.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-04-12 06:06:55
Link | Quote | Reply

***is hitting harder than I expect lol
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-04-12 06:17:47
Link | Quote | Reply

So tried leeches... and even with capped pdt and phalanx ***was hitting for a good 5-50 each... non crit. Guess should use def food lol
 Bahamut.Alukat
user: Alukat
By Bahamut.Alukat 2011-04-12 06:40:39
Link | Quote | Reply

well, i soloed a lot trials in abyssea as BST/NIN.
i sticked for killing them with pearl. and often the red chests had amber / azure / pearl lights too.
got almost 800k gil out of chests in 8-10 hours, and i just did pearl kills and opened red chests with amber lights in it ;)
also i had the luck that i got mild + strong + intense azure lights in red chest. and well TE droped very fine and i haven't done a single magic kill.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-04-12 06:52:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Hmmm leeches just seem to hit too hard. Even with capped pdt and like 600 def and phalanx still hitting more like 10-20 range
 Ragnarok.Corres
Server: Ragnarok
user: Geloudia
By Ragnarok.Corres 2011-04-12 07:31:29
Link | Quote | Reply

at about 10-15 amber kills you should stop. done it multiple times at flux 4 on the shrooms. works very well actually.
better not too many maber kills.
 Asura.Backstab
Server: Asura
user: backstab
By Asura.Backstab 2011-04-12 07:32:09
Link | Quote | Reply

T1 avnm's vision zones dont give enhanced lights, they just give normal lights like every other nq mob.
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2011-04-12 07:33:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Dasva said:
So tried leeches... and even with capped pdt and phalanx ***was hitting for a good 5-50 each... non crit. Guess should use def food lol
I did leeches, they hurt a bit, but they track like ***over all those hills, so you don't actually get hit at all until you stop to cast.

I also had a bst friend with me (we were doing his whm empy club lol), so he could round them all up with yuly no problem while I'd round up slugs and kill both groups together.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-04-12 07:38:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah think I'm just going to do blu so don't spend as much time actually getting hit since rdm is just getting raped
 Bismarck.Eburo
Server: Bismarck
user: Stephano
By Bismarck.Eburo 2011-04-12 08:01:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahfk said:
Cerberus.Tikal said:
Cap lights, etc etc etc. Once that's done, what's the most effective way of ripping through mobs in Konschtat? Fell Cleaving seems to work okay but the only mobs that don't give ruby lights are saplings and they tend to lose interest quickly, not to mention Slumber Powder. I ended up giving up on the FC and just ran around bludgeoning them to death individually, solo, for a few hours with regen atmas on. As far as jobs go, our group has an abundance, so we can improvise. What's your most effective way of farming Dark Rings?
You can find mobs that give any light since ruby is only given if you target the mob that dies. target a different mob and fell cleave the ones around you = no lights

Is this true for sure? I like to round up mandies/chigoes in Attohwa on WAR with my buddy Phalanx II'ing me, and use Retaliation to spam Aeolian Edge and get what is apparently tons of amber light, after only about 4 pulls (which would be 4-10~ amber lights considering each pull has stragglers) I do see some large gold chests pop. Are you sure it doesn't just say you receive one amber light?
 Asura.Yunalaysca
Server: Asura
By Asura.Yunalaysca 2011-04-12 08:04:47
Link | Quote | Reply

i personally dont even bother with azure, i just go on dnc/war and start with capping amber light or rather over-cap it (40 or so) then switch back to regular DD atmas and roll through the leeches or the slimes that are nearby and occasionally toss out an amber if the mob's hp is just right, granted you usually only have 2 hours to do this and get what you want, but most of the time is lost doing other wise with trying to build time.
 Alexander.Jeffreyjelly
Server: Alexander
By Alexander.Jeffreyjelly 2011-04-12 08:14:33
Link | Quote | Reply

If you end up trying blu try these 3 atma:
Lion
Blinding Horn
Ultimate

With the mab2 from rdm sub, meme. mori or drink, evervration, sound blast, BA, and a decent gearset they can be 1-shotted! If not a whirl of rage could probably finish them off.
 Odin.Upbeat
user: Upbeat
By Odin.Upbeat 2011-04-12 08:21:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I've been doing leeches in highlands the past few days with BLU/RDM. The way I do it is MM, Lion, Stronghold(Stronghold was nice for the first couple of pulls, but once I got the pulls down my stoneskin would still be up after the the first Dream Flower), I could easily swap it out now.

Buff up Stoneskin, Aquaveil, Occultation, and don't really need them but Cocoon, and Phalanx can help.

Put on PDT set and pull all the leeches in the area, then once you've got them all together Chain/Efflux Whirl of Rage. After this I put on my 100% Spell Interruption Rate down set to cast Dream Flower. Reapplying occulation makes things a little bit easier, but isn't needed by any means.

CW buffs, CW set, Charged Whisker, BLU Phy casting set, Whirl of Rage, 100% Spell Interruption Rate set, Thermal Pulse... and by this point everything is dead.

I'm sure there is much better ways of get it done, I'm kinda just taking the easy way out with a 100% Spell Interruption Rate down set :p
 Cerberus.Kaht
Server: Cerberus
user: kaht
By Cerberus.Kaht 2011-04-13 11:13:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I tried this for the first time last night, but the majority of my time was definitely spent farming lights. I did this strictly off VNM1s. I know they pop primarily around flux2 and between flux4-5. Are there any other good spots to find them that don't involve a loooooong walk (think south of flux7). Additionally, would it be just as beneficial for me to fight EP garbage mobs instead of wasting time hunting down VNM1s?

Also, with regard to the level of amber light required: I'm primarily interested in getting a refresh hairpin. Does your level of amber light influence the augments on the items? I'd hate to only get a few amber lights and find out later that the refresh augment wasn't even a possibility because I hadn't taken it high enough.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2011-04-13 11:22:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Upbeat said:
I've been doing leeches in highlands the past few days with BLU/RDM. The way I do it is MM, Lion, Stronghold(Stronghold was nice for the first couple of pulls, but once I got the pulls down my stoneskin would still be up after the the first Dream Flower), I could easily swap it out now.

Buff up Stoneskin, Aquaveil, Occultation, and don't really need them but Cocoon, and Phalanx can help.

Put on PDT set and pull all the leeches in the area, then once you've got them all together Chain/Efflux Whirl of Rage. After this I put on my 100% Spell Interruption Rate down set to cast Dream Flower. Reapplying occulation makes things a little bit easier, but isn't needed by any means.

CW buffs, CW set, Charged Whisker, BLU Phy casting set, Whirl of Rage, 100% Spell Interruption Rate set, Thermal Pulse... and by this point everything is dead.

I'm sure there is much better ways of get it done, I'm kinda just taking the easy way out with a 100% Spell Interruption Rate down set :p

Stick Ultimate in there and you should oneshot em with CW. Don't need -100% Spell Interrupt with Aquaveil either in case inventory space is an issue!
 Lakshmi.Vlorsutes
Server: Lakshmi
user: Vlorsutes
By Lakshmi.Vlorsutes 2011-04-13 11:28:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahfk said:
Cerberus.Tikal said:
Cap lights, etc etc etc. Once that's done, what's the most effective way of ripping through mobs in Konschtat? Fell Cleaving seems to work okay but the only mobs that don't give ruby lights are saplings and they tend to lose interest quickly, not to mention Slumber Powder. I ended up giving up on the FC and just ran around bludgeoning them to death individually, solo, for a few hours with regen atmas on. As far as jobs go, our group has an abundance, so we can improvise. What's your most effective way of farming Dark Rings?
You can find mobs that give any light since ruby is only given if you target the mob that dies. target a different mob and fell cleave the ones around you = no lights

Actually that's not true. I've done several Cleave burns on mobs that do give Ruby light, and if a mob dies from the WS but it's not the mob being targeted, you'll still get a ruby light from it. You can only get one light regardless of how many mobs die when they're WS'd (if you kill 10 mobs with one Cleave, you'll only get one ruby, not 10), but you can get a ruby from a killed mob even if it's not the one you targeted.
 Odin.Upbeat
user: Upbeat
By Odin.Upbeat 2011-04-13 11:29:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Raenryong said:
Stick Ultimate in there and you should oneshot em with CW. Don't need -100% Spell Interrupt with Aquaveil either in case inventory space is an issue!

I don't have Ultimate sadly, working on a set for it now. Most of the time I don't need the -100% set, but sometimes it saves the day no doubt about that.

Just to clear it up because I've heard yes and no. Is adding the second +Thunder DMG atma worth it? I personally pick Lion over the other because of the -phys dmg taken for help with pulling.
 Caitsith.Crunkie
Server: Caitsith
user: Crunkie
By Caitsith.Crunkie 2011-04-13 11:36:55
Link | Quote | Reply

A good thing to have is the Abyssite of Destiny. "The bearer will experience greater fortune with golden pyxides in Abyssea." I have all of these and when I went out on THF with my WHM alt, I farmed up full amber lights and then spammed lizards (close fast respawns) I used 120min and came out with one -6% pdt one -5%mdt and a -5% pdt ring.

Call it lucky or what not, but having all three Abyssite of destiny isn't a hard thing to do and may help your farming.
 Bahamut.Blze
By Bahamut.Blze 2011-04-13 11:37:07
Link | Quote | Reply

well for dark ring farming, i use conflux 7 and run back to the limules and clionids mobs the ephemerals pop in those two spots and the more you kill them the faster they spawn til your just doing them. me and two more blus, were getting big gold chest in under 20 mins upon getting into zone. only thing is at night the sod aggro to sound and the ley aggro to low hp which all can be managed by competent blus.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Kiba
user: kiba9256
By Bahamut.Kiba 2011-04-13 12:08:54
Link | Quote | Reply

spent around 2 full days in there and got 1 5/5 dark ring and a 5/3 with no refresh hairpins which is what i wanted, so plan on being in their if your unlucky
 Cerberus.Tikal
Server: Cerberus
user: Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2011-04-13 12:40:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I got a 4% and two 3% PDT rings when I last went, and walked away with a Refresh Hairpin, that I wasn't aiming for, but I was completely capped on all lights except ruby (And Silver and Gold and Ebon). I'll try the 10-15 ambers next time. Should I even bother with TE's?
 Bahamut.Raenryong
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2011-04-13 13:06:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Upbeat said:
Bahamut.Raenryong said:

I don't have Ultimate sadly, working on a set for it now. Most of the time I don't need the -100% set, but sometimes it saves the day no doubt about that.

Just to clear it up because I've heard yes and no. Is adding the second +Thunder DMG atma worth it? I personally pick Lion over the other because of the -phys dmg taken for help with pulling.

I personally always burn with Lion/BlindingHorn/Ultimate and seldom fail to oneshot everything (if I do, I have an Actinic on just before the BA CW if there is any chance they'll survive and so can happily go straight into WoR).

MP isn't an issue at all if you have high Azure since you'll get ISL/Temps from just about every pull (and due to /rdm convert, can do 4~ pulls without).
 Bahamut.Dannyl
user: dannyl
By Bahamut.Dannyl 2011-04-13 16:09:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kaht said:
I tried this for the first time last night, but the majority of my time was definitely spent farming lights. I did this strictly off VNM1s. I know they pop primarily around flux2 and between flux4-5. Are there any other good spots to find them that don't involve a loooooong walk (think south of flux7). Additionally, would it be just as beneficial for me to fight EP garbage mobs instead of wasting time hunting down VNM1s?

Also, with regard to the level of amber light required: I'm primarily interested in getting a refresh hairpin. Does your level of amber light influence the augments on the items? I'd hate to only get a few amber lights and find out later that the refresh augment wasn't even a possibility because I hadn't taken it high enough.

I'm against getting lights from the VNMs for this very reason. I don't know who said earlier that you can't get it from those Emp-flying things, but they are everywhere and spawn all the time. The VNMs are a good source only if you dont have to find yourself running 200+ yalms away. If its not near Conflux 4, just look for the flying Emps things. They really are everywhere,