Bahamut.Baconwrap
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2012-10-13 17:27:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Quiznor said: »
Lakshmi.Rearden said: »
Bad advice.

White rice is greatly superior to whole grain varieties (brown).

I see/hear everywhere that wholegrain rice is much better and.actually healthy. Where as white is jusy not"as bad" as other stuff
I think he's talking post workout meal. Its good for post workout if your trying to get in the complex carbs, but there are better options.

The science behind insulin spiking post workout is a bit meh. I personally just try to meet my daily calorie goal.

Here's a thread on bb.com about complex carbs post workout.

Simple or Complex Carbs Post-Workout?
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
Server: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2012-10-13 17:31:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Never understood the whole calorie maintainence thing. Most of the calculators say I need 2400+, but been getting on average 1500 or less for the past year+. Only started seeing a change in weight when I started doing Intermittent Fasting, in which case I've still been eating the same amount of calories on average
 Asura.Izilder
Server: Asura
user: Izildur
By Asura.Izilder 2012-10-13 17:33:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Sagittario said: »
The rice thing as far as I know is the only exception to the wholegrain rule, certain types of white rice (such as basmati) actually has a lower sugar count than wholegrain.

Well ALL i used to eat for years when it came to rice was basmati - its a half way house between white and whole grain but its still gone through some processing so has some nutritional value stripped

And yes that mikes good i seem to remember he done something called "MMO gamer to fitness freak" or something a while back
 Lakshmi.Rearden
Server: Lakshmi
user: Churchill
By Lakshmi.Rearden 2012-10-13 17:33:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Shouldn't really be giving dietary advice if you don't even know that whole grain doesn't always equate to less insulin generation.

Ideally, you eat no grains at all. This isn't possible all of the time, so it's helpful to know what you can eat and when. Rice bowls are generally okay if no other option is available, and that kind of information is helpful.

Edit: not talking post workout.

Post workout I don't do anything special to spike my insulin, but then again I never workout with the intention of getting bigger, nor do I overeat. I just drink a protein shake and follow with real food 1.5h later.
[+]
 Siren.Eclipsekw
Server: Siren
user: Eclipsekw
By Siren.Eclipsekw 2012-10-13 17:33:21
Link | Quote | Reply

This is worth watching, and the reason I buy only Organic foods.

http://www.sockshare.com/file/A3GWQBTTOI0440G

Enjoy!!!
 Ramuh.Sagittario
Server: Ramuh
user: Sagi
By Ramuh.Sagittario 2012-10-13 17:38:21
Link | Quote | Reply

The post workout insulin spike is not that important to a casual gym user who workouts a few times a week but it does provide an opportunity to accelerate the recovery process. I can personally vouch for it's benefits though if you are burning through muscle glycogen every day, then that recovery window becomes the most important part of the workout.
 Asura.Izilder
By Asura.Izilder 2012-10-13 17:40:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Tigerwoods said: »
Never understood the whole calorie maintainence thing. Most of the calculators say I need 2400+, but been getting on average 1500 or less for the past year+. Only started seeing a change in weight when I started doing Intermittent Fasting, in which case I've still been eating the same amount of calories on average

yeh mine is 1700 cals - i want to IF - i want them gaaaaaains ;; but just dont need it right now - if your IF'ing you either

1. Hit a BF plateau
2. did something wrong eatting spread out meals that didnt help shift the weight

PS: i would be one cranky *** IFing lol
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2012-10-13 17:42:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Well my food intake is absoltue crap to begin with, so hitting a BF plateau is definitely most likely when I've been maining fast food (dollar menu) and ramen
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2012-10-13 17:42:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Post workout I don't do anything special to spike my insulin, but then again I never workout with the intention of getting bigger, nor do I overeat. I just drink a protein shake and follow with real food 1.5h later.
Neither do I, but a lot of of guys do focus on the insulin spike and do the complex carb post workout. Personally, I saw those complex carbs post workout hitting my lower abs. I just do Whey+H2O+creatine post workout and then a actual food hour+ later. I've been doing that intermitten fasting the Hodgetwins recommended for a few days. Pretty noticeable.

The post workout insulin spike is not that important to a casual gym user who workouts a few times a week but it does provide an opportunity to accelerate the recovery process. I can personally vouch for it's benefits though if you are burning through muscle glycogen every day, then that recovery window becomes the most important part of the workout.
BCAA's handle my recovery tbh. Since I started taking BCAA's intra workout and popping Vitamin C 1000mg pre&post workout I have little down time at the gym.
[+]
By Quiznor 2012-10-13 17:46:56
Link | Quote | Reply

This guy is really good, knows his stuff and has endless workouts and nutritional advice designed for beginners.

https://www.youtube.com/user/sixpackshortcuts

Thats the program i have downloaded,even comes with an eating program

Edit: got modded because i forgot we cant talk about that so i edited post to male mor sense. Night everyone,i look forward to reading everything here in detail on the morning
[+]
 Asura.Izilder
By Asura.Izilder 2012-10-13 17:59:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Shouldn't really be giving dietary advice if you don't even know that whole grain doesn't always equate to less insulin generation.

Ideally, you eat no grains at all. This isn't possible all of the time, so it's helpful to know what you can eat and when. Rice bowls are generally okay if no other option is available, and that kind of information is helpful.

Kind of lost on your point - sounds like you are you saying eat white over wholegrain - Just because sometimes it produces the same - less insulin ... OK then.

you haven't mentioned anything about white being a faster releasing carb - a processed carb also with less micronutrients

If anything i would go back to basmati again before i touched white unless i wanted to bulk and was struggling to eat more. Bar that im not sold on the white rice
 Asura.Izilder
By Asura.Izilder 2012-10-13 18:10:13
Link | Quote | Reply

@Baconwrap - The twins make me LOL - is it me or is that face slapping ***they do all from that film "Friday"

Yes ideal you should be having most your complex carbs earlier in the day ...and i think thats one reason IFing is great - you have no choice but to eat way before any sleep or gym in a small window

2 days ? you wanting to cut people yet? lol
[+]
 Asura.Izilder
By Asura.Izilder 2012-10-13 18:14:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Quiznor said: »
This guy is really good, knows his stuff and has endless workouts and nutritional advice designed for beginners.

https://www.youtube.com/user/sixpackshortcuts

Thats the program i have downloaded,even comes with an eating program

Edit: got modded because i forgot we cant talk about that so i edited post to male mor sense. Night everyone,i look forward to reading everything here in detail on the morning

Main thing above all is stay going to the gym - eat balanced and hit your body needs - drink ***loads water - and most of all stay motivated.

GL xD
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2012-10-13 18:14:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok so for pre-workout. I really want to return this Jack3d Micro its not what I expected. I am not a fan of NO-Xplode.

Anyone here have any good pre-workout recommendations? Kinda looking for something that stimulates dopamine like original Jack3d, I liked the appetite suppression of the original.

Asura.Izilder said: »
2 days ? you wanting to cut people yet? lol
I do what the twins suggested and sip on BCAA's after my last meal(6pm) The BCAA's do really cut down on appetite. And they don't count towards the "fasting period." I am kinda worried though I ran out of original Jack3d, which supressed my appetite. This new one lacks that ingredient- so yah I may be wanting to cut some peops tomorrow at the gym. LOL
 Phoenix.Suji
Server: Phoenix
user: suji
By Phoenix.Suji 2012-10-13 18:28:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I tried No-Xplode a while back and it made me feel amped and edgey. these days I just stick to a good 'ol fashioned stout glass of coffee.
 Bismarck.Bloodbathboy
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Bloodbathboy 2012-10-13 19:14:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I can help with questions to! Google Bigsttnjff and fallow the links!
[+]
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2012-10-13 19:27:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Bloodbathboy said: »
I can help with questions to! Google Bigsttnjff and fallow the links!

I sent you a message on bb.com regarding a supp question. Thanks!
 Bismarck.Bloodbathboy
By Bismarck.Bloodbathboy 2012-10-13 20:05:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Thx for doing it that way. I get spammed here sometimes.
 Sylph.Rafaras
user: Enitsu
By Sylph.Rafaras 2012-10-13 20:54:09
Link | Quote | Reply

We should all post pictures of our body and rate.
 Lakshmi.Quixote
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Quixote 2012-10-13 21:30:43
Link | Quote | Reply

There are a few sites that help me out to keep me focus and also motivate me at times https://www.facebook.com/FitnessUpbeat to keep on working out. right now I am doing Body Beast im on my 1st week trying to gain some muscle ;)
 Bismarck.Bloodbathboy
By Bismarck.Bloodbathboy 2012-10-13 21:53:00
Link | Quote | Reply

That's cool and good luck with that!
 Asura.Kowen
user: Kowen
By Asura.Kowen 2012-10-13 22:23:17
Link | Quote | Reply

What's the difference between taking protein before and after a workout?

I'm trying to gain weight right now but my budget is really low, and I need to stick to only one serving of whey protein at a time to save money. Would it be better to have it before or after lifting?
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2012-10-13 23:22:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kowen said: »
What's the difference between taking protein before and after a workout?

I'm trying to gain weight right now but my budget is really low, and I need to stick to only one serving of whey protein at a time to save money. Would it be better to have it before or after lifting?

Personally after- I get better lifts on an empty stomach. If your on a budget make sure your not overpaying for your whey. GNC in particular overprices a lot of their stuff.

Here's an article on bb.com on whey pre/post workout.

Whey To Transform: Your Expert Guide To The Premier Muscle-Building Protein
 Asura.Kowen
user: Kowen
By Asura.Kowen 2012-10-14 00:53:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for that article. I never realized that short of an amount of time really made a difference, digestion and nutrition has always seemed like a long term thing.

I'm buying Costco brand stuff so that's probably about as cheap as it gets! :)
 Fenrir.Weakness
Server: Fenrir
user: Weakness
By Fenrir.Weakness 2012-10-14 02:25:22
Link | Quote | Reply

<.<; I'm getting P90X... I'm kind of scared of it.
By Quiznor 2012-10-14 03:28:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Weakness said: »
<.<; I'm getting P90X... I'm kind of scared of it.

Got P90X this morning,cant wait to go over the entire six pack shortcuts workout and then P90X and see whats gonna get me ripped :D

From a quick glance,the eating program mostly looks like lower carbs for the start to try slim down a bit and then higher and higher again to build up size.
 Fenrir.Weakness
Server: Fenrir
user: Weakness
By Fenrir.Weakness 2012-10-14 04:08:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm seeing a nutritionist with my wife, so actually skipping the diet part of P90X and going with what she tells me.

Ultimately it is the same thing though, it just tosses my wife in the mix when grocery shopping to make life easier. I'm not really trying to get super ripped or anything, just build up endurance... and this is supposed to kick your *** in that department.
 Asura.Izilder
By Asura.Izilder 2012-10-14 04:48:04
Link | Quote | Reply

so i just googled Jack3d as i want to see whats missing in the new vs old version and see what are natural alternatives to raising dopamine levels like green tea. Anyways looks like the stuffs Banned in the UK LOL

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2194656/Jack3d-sports-supplement-banned-Britain-fears-lethal-effects.html
[+]
 Asura.Izilder
By Asura.Izilder 2012-10-14 05:00:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Also i just had a thought ! the concept of IF has been around for decades - just ask any Muslim who Fasts for Ramadan each year, got to take my hat off to them doing up to 20 hours a day no supplements.

But i wonder if they find it more manageable as they most probably had to do it throughout their whole life
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2012-10-14 05:10:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I've only been doing it for a month and it's pretty imaginable. The only time I get hungry is if I under-eat during my window; then I'll get hungry again before the next. If I eat the right amount, I can extend my fasting period (i usually do an 18 hour fast) for another 4-6 hrs before I start feeling hungry.

Only other times I feel hungry is not even really feeling hungry, just seeing something I like and craving the ***out of it. Like "I don't feel hungry, but I just want to taste that ***"
First Page 2 3 4 ... 61 62 63