SE pls let the ps2 die
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2011-03-25 04:22:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Takinagi said:
Why would they make new AGP cards??

Really if you are playing on a ps2 this day and age you should take your left and and just slap yourself right now. You could buy a 2nd hand PC for $50-$100 and get better performance.
I dunno just asking.. As far as I know it's a completely dead technology and has been for the last few years..
 Valefor.Forgotten
Server: Valefor
user: Forg
By Valefor.Forgotten 2011-03-25 04:55:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Slipispsycho said:
Asura.Takinagi said:
What the hell is a AGP card slot?!?
Something that has been getting it's *** kicked since 2004.

Hell can you even buy ~new~ AGP cards anymore?
I can still find new pci versions of cards. Not pci-express, old *** pci. They run like total crap to which isn't surprising with that itty bitty bus chocking the life out of it. I had a friend stubbornly refusing to get a new motherboard complaining he couldn't find any newer cards for the agp 8x slot awhile back. So eventually he he got one of those pci cards instead and it finally convinced him he needed a board with pci-express.
 Asura.Takinagi
Server: Asura
user: Oric
By Asura.Takinagi 2011-03-25 04:57:26
Link | Quote | Reply

The last Moutherboards made to support AGP were Dual Core CPU. So yeah about 2 years ago now. Anyways Upgrade or gtfo i say!! PS2 is so outdated.
 Garuda.Skyver
Server: Garuda
By Garuda.Skyver 2011-03-27 21:14:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Draylo said:
How is FF dying?

[+]
 Cerberus.Rayik
Server: Cerberus
user: Rayik
By Cerberus.Rayik 2011-03-28 07:28:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Skyver said:
Leviathan.Draylo said:
How is FF dying?

Seconded.
 Asura.Kresaera
Server: Asura
user: Kresaera
By Asura.Kresaera 2011-03-28 10:32:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Artemicion said:
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
We have designed our site accordingly, and removed features that we felt crossed the line. That's the best we can do to be good FF citizens.

Like auto-email when an item comes up for sale? ;3

{Yes, please}

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Alukat
Server: Bahamut
user: Alukat
By Bahamut.Alukat 2011-03-28 11:08:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Asura.Nimrot said:
@ Flionheart well good Graphics is not everything SE want money if more and more ppl come back i could imagine SE would give FFXI a few more years

@Guenhwyvar ps2 ppl found it ?? and btw im bst i neva die we just take a nap XD

But more and more people won't come back. The Limitations are hard coded into FFXI as a whole, and SE won't be willing to spend more money on a possible and likely money losing venture.

Why do you think we're getting server merges?

because abyssea made the game boring and it is possible to get everything rq :x
 Ifrit.Scott
Server: Ifrit
user: sfcharger
By Ifrit.Scott 2011-03-28 11:20:05
Link | Quote | Reply

old ps2 users can move the game on to ps3, just download the free patch off psn ,then install ffxi on it
 Carbuncle.Shadowwind
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Shadowwind 2011-03-28 11:40:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Scott said:
old ps2 users can move the game on to ps3, just download the free patch off psn ,then install ffxi on it

This does nothing. First, only some of the first gen BC compatible systems can do it. Second, it still emulates PS2 functionality and the system data download from PSN just allows for games that require a HDD install.

In other words, playing on PS3 is just like playing on PS2.

As for them dropping PS2, it won't happen. Someone mentioned earlier in this thread that its hardcoded that way. This game was designed, built around, and first released on PS2. Every update we see is nothing more than PS2 code ported to PC ported to 360. They don't code for each one individually, but rather around the base code. To change the foundation would require so much work, its just not worth it. Its the equivalent of you building a card castle out of a deck of playing cards, then people wanting you to knock it down and rebuild it exactly the same with a deck of uno cards because they think it'd improve it.
 Ramuh.Thunderz
Server: Ramuh
user: Thunderz
By Ramuh.Thunderz 2011-03-28 11:44:43
Link | Quote | Reply

The biggest problem with the PS2 is it reached its max Hard drive space.

That pretty much tells you the amount of updates/expansions are going to end soon because the ps2 just doesn't have the space.

People thinking they will redesign the game (gfx, art, etc) not going to happen.
 Sylph.Chrisstreb
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Chrisstreb 2011-03-28 11:51:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Funny thing from what Slip said, its not that bad to upgrade your computer to run XIV nowadays. My ~3 year old PC I had to buy an $80 Video Card (Radeon 4670 HD), and that PC can run XIV pretty decently. My laptop I got in October can run XIV pretty well too, though it tends to get really hot after a while, so guess it can run it, but not for 'long sessions', unless I find a way to keep it cooler.

As for the PS2 must die chants, you could probably say the same thing in regards to the 360 version. Granted, MS has better capabilities and space to handle XI on HDD, eventually even if they were to upgrade it to a higher format, it'd take serious time and money for them to do it, and I doubt SE would want to invest that much money into a nearly 10 year old game just to please the ~200k or so users that still play. Sad to say, we're stuck with PS2 users =/

Funny thing regarding XIV on PS3, its due to PS3 limitations that its not out yet either (aside from it flopping, but thats another story lol)
 Carbuncle.Shadowwind
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Shadowwind 2011-03-28 11:53:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly it hasn't even come close to reaching its capacity on the PS2. The problem was with their bad method of distributing updates to PS2 users. The PS2 version is maybe 12-13gb in size.
 Fenrir.Didgist
Server: Fenrir
user: Didgist
By Fenrir.Didgist 2011-03-28 11:54:08
Link | Quote | Reply

If you have nothing not even a free to play MMO is cheaper than a PS2 a TV and a 5-10 dollar FFXI purchase. Even a 50 dollar computer requires a monitor, a mouse, speakers, a surge protector, and an extra controller purchase (to match how PS2 has one by default). PS2 all you need to buy is a 2 dollar USB keyboard at your local goodwill.

I am sure there are still a lot of people running on systems that resemble a single core 3ghz and 2-4g of ram without a PCI express or AGP slot. I'm sure there are a very large amount of consumers who play games, buy computers, and didn't know they needed PCI X or AGP slots on their motherboards or what that even means. (Sup OP)

FFXIV on a single core or without an advanced card slot is not going to be playable at all, and with the current FFXI engine they would get a lot more out of playing this game on the same system. You could run two accounts on the same machine and have your own team for almost anything. That versus standing around in WoW typing something like "/2 dk dps if priest" or wondering why you spent 200 dollars to buy ffxiv a video card and the game not even being a finished beta.

This is why people won't leave FFXI. The coding is horrible and the forced single core is amateur on SE's part. Even so, FFXI in my opinion has the highest standard for price and accessibility compared to user experience on the market. This is probably why many of us keep playing year after year regardless of the problems SE ignores.

Unless they double bill you of course.

tl;dr
You could say the PS2 is currently the most important platform any MMO exists on. Most people are poor and that cannot be disputed.

EDIT: I overlooked the fact that a shitty computer will 10 box WoW better than it can 2 box FFXI. WoW has the multiple process game beat. My mistake.
 Sylph.Chrisstreb
By Sylph.Chrisstreb 2011-03-28 11:54:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Sony should've made the PS2 partition for XI bigger, thats the big issue, but for the most part, SE gave PS2 users the solution already, reinstall XI.

Fenrir.Didgist said:
FFXIV on a single core or without an advanced card slot is not going to be playable at all, and with the current FFXI engine they would get a lot more out of playing this game on the same system
. I actually tried running the XIV Beta on the PC I mentioned before I got the video card upgrade, it ran it, albeit horribly. 3 GB RAM Dual Core processor and the lovely 'on-board' video it had couldn't run it at more than maybe 1-2 FPS... it was fun to say the least. the upgraded card made it so I could actually do stuff on XIV.
 Fenrir.Didgist
By Fenrir.Didgist 2011-03-28 11:57:29
Link | Quote | Reply

This is for you if Ahirunger ever kicked your *** in ballista or if you ever watched her solo something you brought 6 people to claim and kill.

I am pleased to announce she played her entire game changing *** kicking name taking career on a shitty PS2 that had the side broken off of it.
 Quetzalcoatl.Scruffyballs
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Scruffyballs 2011-03-28 12:04:39
Link | Quote | Reply

PS2 aside, I never got why they didnt think about updating the graphics engine on the pc side like sony did to EQ.
 Fenrir.Didgist
By Fenrir.Didgist 2011-03-28 12:06:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Chrisstreb said:
Sony should've made the PS2 partition for XI bigger, thats the big issue, but for the most part, SE gave PS2 users the solution already, reinstall XI.

I agree, it's sad to see people Y2K themselves 2 years after the problem had been globally addressed.

They have started doing the right thing by posting phrases important to players in Abyssea in 4 different languages and posting them on the site. If they invested the time to post a simple crash course on basic ffxi communication in four languages it would go a long way in promiting the community being able to actually communicate instead of confusing each other with 8 year old translations that don't link together correctly.

What we should have is a database of about 98% game terms, 1% basic communication and 1% kaomoji so we can make badass faces too damnit.
 Fenrir.Fearforever
By Fenrir.Fearforever 2011-03-28 12:07:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I ran the FFXIV benchmark on my wifes laptop to check the score, 2GB Ram, dual core, intergrated graphics and scored an amazing 7 on the test!

Anyway if SE went to sony they could get more HDD space to play with on the PS2 HDD so space isn't really a problem.
 Sylph.Chrisstreb
By Sylph.Chrisstreb 2011-03-28 12:09:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd think it wouldn't be nowadays, but then again, its lolSony
 Fenrir.Didgist
By Fenrir.Didgist 2011-03-28 12:15:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Fearforever said:
Anyway if SE went to sony they could get more HDD space to play with on the PS2 HDD so space isn't really a problem.

Hey Fear, been a while. Hows the Spamurai?

Square Enix: Hey Sony, we just need a little tweak on the PS2 HDD so we can update the game. We're starting to get a hold on making new content and we are planning on...

Sony: HDD?

Square Enix: Err, of course. The HDD unit you designed for our PS2 launch of Final Fanta...

Sony: PS2?

Square Enix: ... Maybe you're confused.

Sony: Who are you?

Not trying to mean I just thought it was sad but true :x
 Lakshmi.Kitrah
Server: Lakshmi
user: Kitrah
By Lakshmi.Kitrah 2011-03-28 12:18:38
Link | Quote | Reply

imo, if FFXIV played like FFXI, but still looked/sounded like FFXIV, it'd be so awesome.... -sigh-

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Sylph.Amfortas
user: gillmaree
By Sylph.Amfortas 2011-03-28 12:35:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Played FFXI on PS2 for almost 5 years now, very few issues encountered, unlike all you PC, Xbox and PS3 users. Problem lies squarely on Sony's shoulders. Don't blame PS2 users.

"text message from friend to PS2 user" "are you in game?" answer, "yes", response, "ooh we can't log in", answer, "are you using xbox"?, response, "yes", they go off and have to re-install or do whatever to bring the system back up.

"dang it, crashed again (in the middle of a boss fight)" PC user

I thought FFXI wasn't compatible for PS3, except for some older PS3's that you would have to have multiple degrees in Computer Sciences to install and even then might not run.

Leave us alone, thank you, we love our old PS2's. :)