Ramuh.Haseyo
Server: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2011-03-24 16:07:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Axle said:
Ragnarok.Tuvae said:
Why do people insist on making requests to SE... when this isnt an official SE forum and is seen as cheating >.> Go post in the official FFXI forum.

We're cheating by using this site? orly

Technically, with the Auction house features, this is a 3rd Party Tool iirc. You are able to see what's on the auction house without physically being there in-game.
 Carbuncle.Axle
Server: Carbuncle
user: Zephin
By Carbuncle.Axle 2011-03-24 16:09:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Haseyo said:
Carbuncle.Axle said:
Ragnarok.Tuvae said:
Why do people insist on making requests to SE... when this isnt an official SE forum and is seen as cheating >.> Go post in the official FFXI forum.

Technically, with the Auction house features, this is a 3rd Party Tool iirc. You are able to see what's on the auction house without physically being there in-game.

No, this is a website. That would make Mozilla Firefox the 3rd Party Tool.
 Ramuh.Haseyo
Server: Ramuh
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2011-03-24 16:10:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Axle said:
Ramuh.Haseyo said:
Carbuncle.Axle said:
Ragnarok.Tuvae said:

A website can be a tool >___>
Pretty sure even Boss Man J admitted this himself, lol.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2011-03-24 16:20:56
Link | Quote | Reply

The policy on what defines a "third party utility" is a complete grey area and not even SE follows their own convention.

For instance, they have partnership deals with Allakhazam and even host them at their Fan Fairs, but Alla openly uses 3rd party utilities to pull data from the client files to publish on their site. Which, according to the letter of the ToS, is illegal.

The rule we follow is "does this allow a tangible unfair advantage to its users that is impossible to match through other means and thus imbalances the integrity of the game."

We have designed our site accordingly, and removed features that we felt crossed the line. That's the best we can do to be good FF citizens.
By Artemicion 2011-03-24 16:22:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
We have designed our site accordingly, and removed features that we felt crossed the line. That's the best we can do to be good FF citizens.

Like auto-email when an item comes up for sale? ;3
 Ragnarok.Tuvae
Server: Ragnarok
user: Tuvae
By Ragnarok.Tuvae 2011-03-24 16:25:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Haseyo said:
Carbuncle.Axle said:
Ramuh.Haseyo said:
Carbuncle.Axle said:
Ragnarok.Tuvae said:

A website can be a tool >___>
Pretty sure even Boss Man J admitted this himself, lol.
Yeh, Mozilla can be classed as a third party tool. You can pop open Wiki or this site here, which will give you advantages over other players. Dont get me wrong, i use both sites all the bloody time and i love them >.> But as far as SE are concerned it can come under third party tools.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2011-03-24 16:25:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Artemicion said:
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:

Among many other features, yes.
 Ragnarok.Tuvae
Server: Ragnarok
user: Tuvae
By Ragnarok.Tuvae 2011-03-24 16:26:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Artemicion said:
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:

Where is this option? >.> I had no idea it existed.
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
Server: Caitsith
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2011-03-24 16:26:50
Link | Quote | Reply

The real question is if FFXI dies, will these forums die too? Will there be enough ad money from the forums to bring enough profit to keep this site afloat? I'll be glad to start clicking these ads daily if it means you'll get more monez.
 Gilgamesh.Deathsshadow
Server: Gilgamesh
By Gilgamesh.Deathsshadow 2011-03-24 16:26:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Artemicion said:
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:

that feature would be to sexy
 Carbuncle.Axle
Server: Carbuncle
user: Zephin
By Carbuncle.Axle 2011-03-24 16:27:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
The irony of people arguing that Windower is cheating on a FFXIAH.com message board never ceases to amuse me.

You guys do know we're the same people, right? The core technology behind Windower, and the core technology behind FFXIAH.com, were both written by Cliff, one of our site admins. Hell, even I was around during most of the original development of Windower. (Leave it to a samurai to dream up seeing group members' TP.) The maintenance of the Windower code base has since been taken over by another development group with a slightly different ideology, but the point is the same.

Did you know that at one point, the extended macro system that Windower has now was actually a fully-featured reactive scripting system? You could automate your entire character. You could conceivably teach it how to pull, how to buff and heal your group when they needed it, how to fight mobs, even how to automatically do missions and quests, and then give those scripts to other people. I still have a copy of the prototype -- it works quite well.

Did you know that if we wanted to, we could so dramatically improve the Crafting section on FFXIAH.com that it could automatically compute the exact best personalized money-making synth for you at any moment, based off over a dozen existing market figures, day/crystal combinations, and your players' synth skills? We have the data -- it wouldn't be hard to implement.

But the scripting system for Windower was never released, and you will never see that kind of crafting functionality on FFXIAH.com.

Why not?

As per my previous post in this thread, because Terms of Service agreements are not legally binding documents, the only "rules" in FF: Online are what any given GM tells any given person on any given day. Everything else is just guidelines. But what will make SE start banning people indiscriminately is if a particular tool starts to give enough of an unfair advantage that they begin to lose subscribers over it. As such, it is our duty as 3rd party developers to make sure our tools never cross that line.

But to sit on an FFXIAH.com message board and accuse Windower users of "cheating," due to some non-existent ethical violation, is quite simply laughable.

Found this. Guess i'm wrong
[+]
By Artemicion 2011-03-24 16:30:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Artemicion said:
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:

Yeah, I remember that sticky artcile thingy Aikar made showing that they had the tools and capacities to make a more-or-less automated self-reliant and running FFXI program, but didn't as that would harm the integrity of not only the game itself but the users too.
They simply want to make it a practical, semi-balanced and enjoyable tool to what already (in forms) exist within the game.
 Fenrir.Didgist
Server: Fenrir
user: Didgist
By Fenrir.Didgist 2011-03-24 16:33:47
Link | Quote | Reply

MMO Price Comparison.

Universal costs. Power, Internet.
Non Universal costs: System, Cost of software/expansions

Subscription I'll need clarification. WoW is 19.99/60days and FFXI can be 9.99/30days if I am not mistaken. I don't play any other games and would like input on their fees and initial costs.

FFXIV
System: 800 or much more
Software: 50 still?
Subscription: Well, that doesn't count...
Total to start: 850 and it will not be the ideal rig by any means.

World of Warcraft
System: $200 or so to run it well, fairly sure 600-700 rig to max it out.
Software: 20-30 for the initial purchase and 87$ combo deal to unlock all expansions.
Total to start: 310 for blah, 810 or more for hurrah.

FFXI
System: I can still find used PS2's for 20-30 dollars in local game shops, let alone online.
Software: 5-10 to start, 30 for Abyssea which will eventually be 10/3, I think.
Total to start: 50 dollars

PS2 sucks but it currently makes FFXI the most accessible MMO on the planet.
By Artemicion 2011-03-24 16:40:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Unfortunately POL doesn't bill based days; they go by monthly recurring fees starting at $12.95 if I recall correctly.
But your point still stands. To get up and running is quite cheap.
XIV simply put the bar too high and had a severe lack of functioning content.
 Quetzalcoatl.Roark
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Roark 2011-03-24 16:49:11
Link | Quote | Reply

should just break off from 360 and ps3 and let the real machine take over

and by that of course, i mean
 Asura.Karbuncle
Server: Asura
user: Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2011-03-24 16:52:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Some days i wonder what direction this game could have gone in without the constant "PS2 Limitation" BS we were fed throughout its prime.

Imagine if this game was only for the PC... limited only by the imagination of the Dev team, and not by an outdated Relic :|

Oh well, It is too late in the games life to mater now. Its a fun afterthought of what we could have had, but apparently the PS2 was/is Popular in Japan at the time, so it was another selling point.
[+]
 Valefor.Forgotten
Server: Valefor
user: Forg
By Valefor.Forgotten 2011-03-25 02:33:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Jile said:
The sad state of <auto text> is due to the limitation of the ps2, the fact our macros have 6 lines is due to the ps2 limitations...the graphics.....ugg.

Yeah, pushing the ps2's to one server sounds great - then one nice fat update for everyone else and we could have a complete auto text, 30 line macros.... the orig graphics back for smn's? oh my.

That said, SE probably isn't going to do these things because as people mentioned they think xi is dying...and to some extent they're right, which is why we're going through merges once again.

Personally though, if SE did a "FFXI 2011" and re-marketed it with the new graphics and with new zones for 99 with new 99 hnm's, I think xi could make the comeback needed to turn some of these merging servers back online lol.
To my knowledge no MMO has ever successfully done this, and the current SE isn't into taking risks. All I've ever seen is the expected decline and minimal money spent to retain, but not acquire more subscribers once this stage of a games life is reached.

Also why we aren't likely to see a new full (non mini) expansion. The expected peak subscriber numbers came and went.

I would love it to happen, and mused in posts about the possibility, but it isn't going to actually happen. Especially not with Wada around. Risks = FIRED!
By Wafflechan 2011-03-25 02:44:54
Link | Quote | Reply

This isnt an SE site, it does not belong here.
 Sylph.Laziale
Server: Sylph
user: laz
By Sylph.Laziale 2011-03-25 02:53:41
Link | Quote | Reply

hum yeah FF is dying but you cant deny ps2 gimp the game
why they don't auto translate all new item ?? because ps2 cant survive it ^^
look at last update ps2 have a major hdd issue
ps2 just dont allow SE to boost game on lot of part but they dont wanna lose money so they dont stop the game on ps2 ....
its too late they should remove ps2 like 2-3y ago and boost the game at this point at least transform into HD game
 Leviathan.Draylo
Server: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-03-25 03:02:05
Link | Quote | Reply

How is FF dying?
[+]
 Fenrir.Stiklelf
user: stikle
By Fenrir.Stiklelf 2011-03-25 03:03:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Didgist said:

I would think the most accessible MMO would be a Free to play one.

Given you would still need a pc, but really who owns a PS2 but not a PC, even if said PC isn't good at all.

(This post isn't directed at FFXI, just your statement that I quoted)
 Bismarck.Cerelyn
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Cerelyn 2011-03-25 03:15:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Wafflechan said:
This isnt an SE site, it does not belong here.

Sylph.Laziale said:
hum yeah FF is dying

Since when?
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2011-03-25 03:45:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Artemicion said:
Unfortunately POL doesn't bill based days; they go by monthly recurring fees starting at $12.95 if I recall correctly.
Okay, under normal circumstances I'd just let this fly, as I used to defend FFXIV quite vehemently, but this just bugs me. Stuff like this always has..

The vast majority of people right now that have a PC not capable of running FFXIV, need only a video card. Most people have a dual core processor and a few gigs of RAM.. If you've bought a computer in the last 4-5 years, you have a dual core processor, and I can almost guarantee (barring laptops, as that's a whole different matter) you have at least 3GB RAM. A slightly better card than the one I run FFXIV on max settings on would set you back just over a $100.. So for pretty much everyone, it would cost all of $150 to get FFXIV up and running.

There seems to be this huge misconception in PC gaming where you have to have the newest and greatest hardware to run games.. You don't.. The people who tell you that are either HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE, or talking on absolutely maxing out performance, which adds price pretty quickly.. I.E. it could cost you just 150 to get a game running on your PC at low settings, then 400 to get it running at medium settings and handling the load well, then it might be as much 1,000 to get it running at max and performing well.

Then there's the fact you can't go comparing a recent game, to games that have been out forever.. Computers move at lightspeed compared to consoles, every 6 months or so there's a bigger and better marketable technology, compared to consoles which average about every 6 years.

tl;dr: For the most average user out there, it would take less than $200 to get their PC capable of handling FFXIV, and people will always try to make you believe you need the latest and greatest hardware there is, usually because they have it. I've been gaming on PC for years, and it's total horseshit, stop believing you need something just because some "PC guru" told you that you do..

As far as the content goes, I completely agree with you, I quit playing months ago and haven't missed it because I got bored.. It was the same thing day in and day out.. Either find a corner and craft, chat with LS mates, or just grind until your eyes bleed.
[+]
 Asura.Yunalaysca
By Asura.Yunalaysca 2011-03-25 03:48:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Slipispsycho said:
Artemicion said:
Okay, under normal circumstances I'd just let this fly, as I used to defend FFXIV quite vehemently, but this just bugs me. Stuff like this always has..

The vast majority of people right now that have a PC not capable of running FFXIV, need only a video card. Most people have a dual core processor and a few gigs of RAM.. If you've bought a computer in the last 4-5 years, you have a dual core processor, and I can almost guarantee (barring laptops, as that's a whole different matter) you have at least 3GB RAM. A slightly better card than the one I run FFXIV on max settings on would set you back just over a $100.. So for pretty much everyone, it would cost all of $150 to get FFXIV up and running.

There seems to be this huge misconception in PC gaming where you have to have the newest and greatest hardware to run games.. You don't.. The people who tell you that are either HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE, or talking on absolutely maxing out performance, which adds price pretty quickly.. I.E. it could cost you just 150 to get a game running on your PC at low settings, then 400 to get it running at medium settings and handling the load well, then it might be as much 1,000 to get it running at max and performing well.

Then there's the fact you can't go comparing a recent game, to games that have been out forever.. Computers move at lightspeed compared to consoles, every 6 months or so there's a bigger and better marketable technology, compared to consoles which average about every 6 years.

tl;dr: For the most average user out there, it would take less than $200 to get their PC capable of handling FFXIV, and people will always try to make you believe you need the latest and greatest hardware there is, usually because they have it. I've been gaming on PC for years, and it's total horseshit, stop believing you need something just because some "PC guru" told you that you do..
only thing that needed to be upgraded for most people were video cards
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Systematicchaos 2011-03-25 04:01:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Stiklelf said:
Fenrir.Didgist said:

I would think the most accessible MMO would be a Free to play one.

Given you would still need a pc, but really who owns a PS2 but not a PC, even if said PC isn't good at all.

(This post isn't directed at FFXI, just your statement that I quoted)

<< This Guy Owns a PS2 and not a PC.
 Fenrir.Fearforever
By Fenrir.Fearforever 2011-03-25 04:04:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Yunalaysca said:
Artemicion said:

some 4-5 year old PCs have APG graphic card slots, so if your one of those i feel sorry for you since theres no cards in APG capable of running FF14.
 Asura.Yunalaysca
By Asura.Yunalaysca 2011-03-25 04:10:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Fearforever said:
Asura.Yunalaysca said:
Artemicion said:

some 4-5 year old PCs have APG graphic card slots, so if your one of those i feel sorry for you since theres no cards in APG capable of running FF14.
or in my case a laptop which is forcing me to buy an Asus G73
 Asura.Takinagi
user: Oric
By Asura.Takinagi 2011-03-25 04:13:31
Link | Quote | Reply

What the hell is a AGP card slot?!?
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2011-03-25 04:15:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Takinagi said:
What the hell is a AGP card slot?!?
Something that has been getting it's *** kicked since 2004.

Hell can you even buy ~new~ AGP cards anymore?
 Asura.Takinagi
user: Oric
By Asura.Takinagi 2011-03-25 04:19:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Why would they make new AGP cards??

Really if you are playing on a ps2 this day and age you should take your left and and just slap yourself right now. You could buy a 2nd hand PC for $50-$100 and get better performance.