Natural Disasters = Don't Play Games.

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Natural Disasters = Don't play games.
Natural Disasters = Don't play games.
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Bahamut.Lolserj
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Andras
By Bahamut.Lolserj 2011-03-13 18:53:07
Link | Quote | Reply

because SE is in Haiti
 Leviathan.Powerslave
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Powerslave 2011-03-13 18:53:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I agree that people have the right to not care, the immaturity of some people has just been really irksome, though.

When the '94 Northridge quake hit over here my family had to live on the street in a tent for over a week after our apartment collapsed. That seems like nothing compared to what happened in Japan.

I understand why people would be unhappy that they can't play ffxi for a bit cause it's understandable, but I'd expect most people to not get as upset or disrespectful as some have gotten.
 Caitsith.Sai
Server: Caitsith
user: Saiii
By Caitsith.Sai 2011-03-13 18:54:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Dabackpack said:
Valefor.Slipispsycho said:
Caitsith.Sai said:
Sylph.Liltrouble said:
We take way too many things for granted. When the system message came up in game I was horrified. Not for the loss of the game, but the severity of the situation in Japan. It brought reality into focus and I was drawn back in time to 9/11. We can lament on the failings of the people of japan, but we need to realize our own failings in considering their trauma.
You don't expect people to actually believe that right? It wasn't the the live news feeds of video of the earthquake itself or of the tsunami rolling inland, or even of people freaking out about the nuc plants that caused you to realize the severity of their situation? It was the warning msg that the servers might be taken down that brought it all into focus? Really? REALLY? Servers going down made you flashback to 9/11? REALLY? Today we learn about people who so desperately want every one else to believe they care about something that they will not think about in ~4 days time that they will say stupid ***that makes no *** sense.
Hey, drug addicts rarely look at the world around them while they're still on said drugs.. Everything is about the high, it's only once it's taken away that they pay attention to the world around them. Lol, that's like the only argument I could think of to support his view.

Actually, I think I can support this.

When something bad happens, especially when it doesn't involve us, we often shrug it off and just say "Oh, it will get better." We don't think globally.

He discovered how severe the situation was when a worldwide service was shut down to support the Japanese. It was then that we figured out, "Wow, this really IS bad, it led to this."

It's the realization of how bad this truly is, that it has even affected us. I can understand what he is saying, but I can't effectively describe it.

Then he has a whole different set of problems if his "world perspective" is based on the availability of an electronic service as opposed to the actual images and testimonies of the disaster.

How egocentric does one have to be to only be able to judge the severity of a situation by the level it directly affects them?

em·pa·thy Noun /ˈempəTHē/ listen
Synonyms:
o noun: sympathy
o
1. The ability to understand and share the feelings of another

I think he has none.
 Bahamut.Lolserj
By Bahamut.Lolserj 2011-03-13 18:55:12
Link | Quote | Reply

i thought people not having empathy were like psychopaths and mass murderers
 Quetzalcoatl.Soube
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Soube
By Quetzalcoatl.Soube 2011-03-13 18:55:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Hisagi said:
Quetzalcoatl.Soube said:
Bismarck.Hisagi said:
i dont know why ppl QQing about not able to play ffxi.... is just a game.... and it will come back, think about those jps that got hit by tsunami/earthquake
According to OP you should be out there helping in relief efforts, not talking down on someone complaining about the servers being down.

So why is he here complaining about other people? Why isn't he in Japan helping the relief effort?

(Pot, Kettle, Black)
Sounds HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE x.x I would help if something happen here in italy not so far away..

Not you, the OP...

But it's good to know you'll only help when you don't have to go very far to do it.

*facepalm*
 Quetzalcoatl.Soube
By Quetzalcoatl.Soube 2011-03-13 18:56:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Lolserj said:

Actually, they're called sociopaths. And no, not all sociopaths are murderers.
 Caitsith.Sai
By Caitsith.Sai 2011-03-13 18:58:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Lolserj said:

Ever heard the saying "shades of gray"
 Bahamut.Lolserj
By Bahamut.Lolserj 2011-03-13 18:58:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Soube said:
Bahamut.Lolserj said:

Actually, they're called sociopaths. And no, not all sociopaths are murderers.

wonder if i know any sociopaths
 Bahamut.Lolserj
By Bahamut.Lolserj 2011-03-13 18:59:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Sai said:
Bahamut.Lolserj said:

no
 Remora.Zackaria
Server: Remora
user: zackaria
By Remora.Zackaria 2011-03-13 19:00:16
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2011-03-13 19:01:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Remora.Zackaria said:
I Lol'd more than I should have.
[+]
 Valefor.Leith
user: Leith
By Valefor.Leith 2011-03-13 19:02:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I would love to help were I able, but I'm 17, with no job, and no passport, I couldn't go to Japan if I wanted to. However if I were in my twenties and I could join a volunteer group to go and help, I would in a heartbeat, I'm not QQing about the servers because for one I'm far from addicted to the game, and because obviously the energy conservation was a very smart thing to do. And some don't seem to be ok with that

People keep saying non of us care...I do ^_^
 Bahamut.Lolserj
By Bahamut.Lolserj 2011-03-13 19:02:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Remora.Zackaria said:
I Lol'd more than I should have.

i thought they'd have a mithra on the wall
[+]
 Bahamut.Lolserj
By Bahamut.Lolserj 2011-03-13 19:03:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Leith said:
I would love to help were I able, but I'm 17, with no job, and no passport, I couldn't go to Japan if I wanted to. However if I were in my twenties and I could join a volunteer group to go and help, I would in a heartbeat, I'm not QQing about the servers because for one I'm far from addicted to the game, and because

i care but i wouldn't go

even if i were able to :/
 Quetzalcoatl.Soube
By Quetzalcoatl.Soube 2011-03-13 19:06:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Sai said:
Bahamut.Lolserj said:

Well shades of gray implies that there's a concept of black and white to begin with. For a sociopath, black and white (good and bad) and morality in general simply don't exist. Sociopaths break everything in the world down into two groups, beneficial for them, and not beneficial for them. They have no interest in how the things they say or do affect anyone but them.
 Valefor.Leith
By Valefor.Leith 2011-03-13 19:07:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Lolserj said:
Valefor.Leith said:
I would love to help were I able, but I'm 17, with no job, and no passport, I couldn't go to Japan if I wanted to. However if I were in my twenties and I could join a volunteer group to go and help, I would in a heartbeat, I'm not QQing about the servers because for one I'm far from addicted to the game, and because

i care but i wouldn't go

Thats fine too, not everyone has the drive or want to go out of their way to go help people. I'm not bashing you lol really I'm not, but its a certain type of person who wouldn't mind taking time from their own life to go off to some other place and help with something. Those in the marines, coast guard, red cross, doctors without borders, peace corps, pretty much every non profit volunteer organization out there lol, people in them are the kind im talking about, and I feel I wouldn't mind being one

Theres nothing wrong with seeing that this is happening, feeling a pang of sorrow, hoping its ok, then resuming your normal life several hours later, I mean its not like you're supposed to drop what you're doing and pay for a flight to japan asap. People who expect that (like the OP) don't understand reality if you ask me
By wintermute0 2011-03-13 19:08:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Soube said:
Bismarck.Hisagi said:
i dont know why ppl QQing about not able to play ffxi.... is just a game.... and it will come back, think about those jps that got hit by tsunami/earthquake
According to OP you should be out there helping in relief efforts, not talking down on someone complaining about the servers being down.

So why is he here complaining about other people? Why isn't he in Japan helping the relief effort?

(Pot, Kettle, Black)

Because I'm more than content sitting in my living room playing Final Fantasy IX. Did I give the impression that I cared about the going-ons of Japan? Like I said in my OP, it sucks... and that's about the extent of my concern about the situation over there.

And just to clarify here: lack of empathy doesn't automatically mean you're a sociopath. Sure, that's a trait of sociopathy, but it's also a trait of several other conditions as well. And I wouldn't call not caring about the Earthquake in Japan a lack of empathy, more like... I've never met any of those people. I have no emotional ties to them. I've never seen them outside of a Television set or a computer monitor... get the picture?
[+]
 Bahamut.Lolserj
By Bahamut.Lolserj 2011-03-13 19:08:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Leith said:
Bahamut.Lolserj said:
Valefor.Leith said:

i care but i wouldn't go

Thats fine too, not everyone has the drive or want to go out of their way to go help people. I'm not bashing you lol really I'm not, but its a certain type of person who wouldn't mind taking time from their own life to go off to some other place and help with something. Those in the marines, coast guard, red cross, doctors without borders, peace corps, pretty much every non profit volunteer organization out there lol, people in them are the kind im talking about, and I feel I wouldn't mind being one

why include the marines only? >_>
 Valefor.Leith
By Valefor.Leith 2011-03-13 19:10:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Lolserj said:
Valefor.Leith said:
Bahamut.Lolserj said:
Valefor.Leith said:

i care but i wouldn't go

why include the marines only? >_>
was listing random examples, of course I mean every branch of the military and more :)
 Bahamut.Lolserj
By Bahamut.Lolserj 2011-03-13 19:10:10
Link | Quote | Reply

wintermute0 said:
Quetzalcoatl.Soube said:
Bismarck.Hisagi said:

(Pot, Kettle, Black)

Because I'm more than content sitting in my living room playing Final Fantasy IX. Did I give the impression that I cared about the going-ons of Japan? Like I said in my OP, it sucks... and that's about the extent of my concern about the situation over there.

actually in the OP you were saying things that made my brain want to die

i actually got more stupid reading what you said

and hell i might as well include this

Quetzalcoatl.Soube
By Quetzalcoatl.Soube 2011-03-13 19:10:25
Link | Quote | Reply

wintermute0 said:
Quetzalcoatl.Soube said:
Bismarck.Hisagi said:

(Pot, Kettle, Black)

Then stop complaining about what people on the internet are talking about and go play FFIX.
 Caitsith.Sai
By Caitsith.Sai 2011-03-13 19:11:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Soube said:
Caitsith.Sai said:
Bahamut.Lolserj said:

Well shades of gray implies that there's a concept of black and white to begin with. For a sociopath, black and white (good and bad) and morality in general simply don't exist. Sociopaths break everything in the world down into two groups, beneficial for them, and not beneficial for them. They have no interest in how the things they say or do affect anyone but them.

Cool Story. But, I'm not talking about sociopaths.
 Valefor.Leith
By Valefor.Leith 2011-03-13 19:11:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Lolserj said:
wintermute0 said:
Quetzalcoatl.Soube said:
Bismarck.Hisagi said:

(Pot, Kettle, Black)

i actually got more stupid reading what you said

and hell i might as well include this

Caitsith.Sai
By Caitsith.Sai 2011-03-13 19:13:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Lolserj said:
wintermute0 said:
Quetzalcoatl.Soube said:
Bismarck.Hisagi said:

(Pot, Kettle, Black)

OP made sense to me, seems you have some reading and or comprehension deficiencies
 Cerberus.Vaness
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Vaness 2011-03-13 19:13:55
Link | Quote | Reply

wintermute0 said:
So, from what I'm gathering... some people don't like it when people complain about the FFXI servers being down because Japan just got hit with an Earthquake/Tsunami.

Well, to everyone on their high horse telling people to stop QQing about the servers being down because there's more important matters at hand: what were you doing when Haiti was rocked by that Earthquake last year? Did you stop playing your MMOS/Vidyagames when that happened? You know, out of respect...? If you didn't, shouldn't you've?

Actually, here's a list of all the major Earthquakes that happened in 2010. What were you doing during those? Hopefully you weren't playing Final Fantasy XI!

Don't get me wrong; Earthquakes suck. I wouldn't want one to happen where I live. But do you honestly expect everyone who's playing FFXI to really give a damn? I mean, wtf were the Japanese doing when Hurricane Katrina one-shot New Orleans? I hope they weren't playing WoW! That would've been disrespectful!
lol, I agree the fact ppl QQing caus some ppl dont agree to the servers being down.But I think it's mainly caus of a misunderstood.The servers that control the game in generals are located in japan.Japan is dealing with some aftermath problems with their nuclear centers.It's their way to get electricity.3 are down or in actual "danger".They asked the japanese ppl to watch their electricity use for a while until they fixed or find a solution.Some places are already "blacked out" and they try to avoid it happening everywhere.You have no idea how those servers can use electricity and they got asked to reduce electricity use.I cant lie, the fact we cant play suck but our servers are in japan and we cant help it.I'm already surprised the earthquake hiself didnt affect it.

plz forgive my broken english!
By wintermute0 2011-03-13 19:15:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Soube said:
wintermute0 said:
Quetzalcoatl.Soube said:
Bismarck.Hisagi said:

(Pot, Kettle, Black)

Then stop complaining about what people on the internet are talking about and go play FFIX.

Why?
 Quetzalcoatl.Soube
By Quetzalcoatl.Soube 2011-03-13 19:16:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Sai said:
Quetzalcoatl.Soube said:
Caitsith.Sai said:
Bahamut.Lolserj said:

Cool Story. But, I'm not talking about sociopaths.

Cool Story. Then don't respond to a post about sociopaths.
 Caitsith.Sai
By Caitsith.Sai 2011-03-13 19:16:20
Link | Quote | Reply

OP concept is not so hard to grasp....

Why are people failing so hard at understanding ; ;
 Bahamut.Lolserj
By Bahamut.Lolserj 2011-03-13 19:16:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Sai said:
Bahamut.Lolserj said:
wintermute0 said:
Quetzalcoatl.Soube said:
Bismarck.Hisagi said:

(Pot, Kettle, Black)

OP made sense to me, seems you have some reading and or comprehension deficiencies

i didn't have trouble comprehending it

in fact it was easy to read

it was the fact that he said

wintermute0 said:

Well, to everyone on their high horse telling people to stop QQing about the servers being down because there's more important matters at hand: what were you doing when Haiti was rocked by that Earthquake last year? Did you stop playing your MMOS/Vidyagames when that happened? You know, out of respect...? If you didn't, shouldn't you've?

Actually, here's a list of all the major Earthquakes that happened in 2010. What were you doing during those? Hopefully you weren't playing Final Fantasy XI!

this but mainly

wintermute0 said:
Haiti was rocked by that Earthquake last year? Did you stop playing your MMOS/Vidyagames

this

it's the most HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE comparison ever

ever
[+]
 Bahamut.Lolserj
By Bahamut.Lolserj 2011-03-13 19:17:18
Link | Quote | Reply

wintermute0 said:
Quetzalcoatl.Soube said:
wintermute0 said:
Quetzalcoatl.Soube said:
Bismarck.Hisagi said:

(Pot, Kettle, Black)

Why?

because your kind shouldn't be allowed to use the internet