Aegis Enhancement?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Paladin » Aegis enhancement?
Aegis enhancement?
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
 Cerberus.Vaness
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
By Cerberus.Vaness 2011-02-17 10:20:41
Link | Quote | Reply

So I read most of the thread and realised ppl wasnt really talking about the possible aegis enhance to equal ochain.I see alot of ppl saying "butbut who use plds anymore?!"Heres my opinion.

I am not a pld, but my RL BF is a pld and live atm all the hate for his job that used to be one of the best jobs to have in HNMLS.I do understand that abyssea is time related and pld is quite useless there.PLD is the best tank job if you give him time and play in a intelligent way.The thing is in abyssea, every1 wants to kill asap and I'm not desagreeing with it at all.Why taking 30 mins+ to kill a nm that can take 10mins with a monk.The thing is outside abyssea, mnk tank doesnt do so well and so is whm (lol) I miss atmas so bad outside abyssea QQ.But then ppl will say, omfg who does stuff outside abyssea?! Well I do and the reason why is this: Every1 is always in abyssea, best way to make money is to do normal zones stuff.Like mnk BB items (ppl offering up to 5mil), ancient beastcoin ( up to 10k now, every1 who grow up with abyssea want brutal earring), ridills (up to 10 mil), lol crystals its stupid but its up to 4k/stack here and so many more.. And this is where my pld bf is more then just helpfull.PLD + THF + RDM can do any HNMS and somehow the market couldnt be better atm.

For those that thinks ochain is better then aegis and vice versa. Well, its my opinion and feel free to open my eyes but I dont agree.
Aegis gives you the possibility to be naked with shell 2 and have capped magic damage -.Ochain have a 90% block rate (wich is quite sexy) and a 25% mp return from damage taken while blocking.25% mp looks nice, but a well geared pld will get hit by 0 damage while blocking inside or outside abyssea.In the wrost case you will take like 20 dmg? So is the mp return from ochain is worth it in abyssea? no, just use minikin if your mp is such an issue and also who the *** use pld in abyssea?! ;p Is ochain usefull outside abyssea? nope, the stuff outside abyssea is too weak to deal more then 20 dmg on a block anyway.Unless you are one hell of a gimp pld then maybe.So yes, you read right, I think aegis is still better then ochain.Its my opinion.I do realise not every1 have 300 mil to spend on aegis and I also dont judge ppl who did ochain.Just think that if you have the money, might wanna go for aegis

On wich possible change they would do on aegis to equal ochain sexyness, I think the will just change the shield size so it gets a 90% block rate like ochain.I dont see what else they would do.

I'm open to suggestion, plz correct me if I'm wrong.I'm presently lvling pld with the hope that 90-99 will be outside abyssea and I'm more then happy to know if I'm wrong.

[+]
 Cerberus.Kvazz
Server: Cerberus
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2011-02-17 10:34:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Serj said:
We all know Sweden has the best bands (along with Norway).
Totally agree :P

Asura.Matzilla said:

Great music, I'm positive you get all the ladies playing that from your mom's minivan

But Germany sure knows how to rock aswell!

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2011-02-17 12:46:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Shiroi said:
Not everything will hit a PLD for 0.

Old style of PLD (pre - abyssea) was not getting hit /nin so it wouldn't lose enmity.

The point of a shield for old style PLD was to block so utsusemi ichi would still go off after being hit.

And they were getting ENM by using cure/flash/atonement.

Now in abyssea if you want to be efficient to hold hate you need to dish out large amount of damage really fast, which means you do not want to be /nin and cast shadows. You'd want to be /war and have berserk up whenever you can and use full DD atmas (RR/GH/AoA) spamming Chant du Cygne.

That's where Ochain offers much more to PLD with a 90% block rate to mitigate damage.

What Aegis offers in abyssea : Capped MDT without gear swap.

But in the end any DD able to do more damage than PLD will end up getting more hate.

If they put same block rate on aegis, the difference between the 2 will be marginal.

Marginal except for the massive difference in the time and resources it takes to make each shield, which is the main reason that Ochain is superior to Aegis.
 Asura.Natenn
Server: Asura
user: Naten
By Asura.Natenn 2011-02-17 12:58:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Ochain is for ppl who can't afford Aegis/to lazy to do gear swaps, be a good PLD, ect.
 Sylph.Rorrick
Server: Sylph
user: Rorrick
By Sylph.Rorrick 2011-02-17 13:04:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Natenn said:
Ochain is for ppl who can't afford Aegis/to lazy to do gear swaps, be a good PLD, ect.

Seeing as the only reason to have ever owned Aegis was to avoid having to swap into MDT for spells, I'd say you got your shields backwards.

Ochain is for people who weren't stupid enough to make an Aegis, and understand that you can get equivalent MDT off the AH for 200k.
 Asura.Natenn
user: Naten
By Asura.Natenn 2011-02-17 13:11:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Its capped to stack MDB in other slots when needed. irregardless, nothing in this game atm does enough Physical damage to make Ochain worth anything. Not that anyone should be using it now for anything endgame related anyway.
 Diabolos.Prodigy
Server: Diabolos
user: Prodigy
By Diabolos.Prodigy 2011-02-17 13:12:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Let's not stretch the truth too much, Aegis was the best shield you could equip and might be close to being it again after it's update.
[+]
 Sylph.Kimble
By Sylph.Kimble 2011-02-17 13:32:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Wow, all this crap, lol.

Aegis was never the best relic. Just because a lot of people have it, doesnt mean its the best.

The main reason they are so many Aegis is because most people that start an LS, have PLD, and its much easier to talk people into upgrading them an aegis then a DD weapon because the common misconception is that PLD was the best tank and you NEED an aegis to make things easier.

Aegis was always just a space saver. Im not sure why people argue other wise.
[+]
 Asura.Draginhikari
By Asura.Draginhikari 2011-02-17 14:02:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't know, I've always seen most Relics in general as someone can do because they want to do, not necssary because they have to do it or they are required or absoulutely have to have it.

Technically you don't have to have any relic, mythic, empy to handle your job to an acceptable level. I will probably be a Aegis myself why? One the only other options I have for one is Gutter for BST or Excailiar for PLD, which I'm working on a Almace so that takes away the point of that. Is it the best no, do I care, not really. It's just another thing to do with the gil that I barely use for anything anymore.

People put way too much thought into the reason why someone would do one thing or another. It's just what they feel like doing and that's about it.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2011-02-17 14:04:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Draginhikari said:
I don't know, I've always seen most Relics in general as someone can do because they want to do, not necssary because they have to do it or they are required or absoulutely have to have it.

Technically you don't have to have any relic, mythic, empy to handle your job to an acceptable level. I will probably be a Aegis myself why? One the only other options I have for one is Gutter for BST or Excailiar for PLD, which I'm working on a Almace so that takes away the point of that. Is it the best no, do I care, not really. It's just another thing to do with the gil that I barely use for anything anymore.

People put way too much thought into the reason why someone would do one thing or another. It's just what they feel like doing and that's about it.

Right. But claiming that Aegis is better than Ochain is a fallacy.
 Asura.Draginhikari
By Asura.Draginhikari 2011-02-17 15:45:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said:
Asura.Draginhikari said:
I don't know, I've always seen most Relics in general as someone can do because they want to do, not necssary because they have to do it or they are required or absoulutely have to have it. Technically you don't have to have any relic, mythic, empy to handle your job to an acceptable level. I will probably be a Aegis myself why? One the only other options I have for one is Gutter for BST or Excailiar for PLD, which I'm working on a Almace so that takes away the point of that. Is it the best no, do I care, not really. It's just another thing to do with the gil that I barely use for anything anymore. People put way too much thought into the reason why someone would do one thing or another. It's just what they feel like doing and that's about it.
Right. But claiming that Aegis is better than Ochain is a fallacy.

Well I prefer 'I don't care if it is or not'. It's one thing to gear a job as needed it's another waste of time to aruge about schemtics of two items that I doubt anyone is going to get kicked from a party for using.
 Asura.Matzilla
user: Caliber
By Asura.Matzilla 2011-02-17 15:47:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I also wonder why everyone spouting this aegis suckspeak doesnt mention that nothing in ffxi takes an optimal group to do and therefor is left up to WHAT YOU HAVE FUN DOING IN A VIDEOGAME lol
[+]
 Phoenix.Neosutra
Server: Phoenix
user: neosutra
By Phoenix.Neosutra 2011-02-17 16:25:46
Link | Quote | Reply

The problem with increasing PLDs ability to keep hate is you're still just replacing a DD/tank that was holding hate and doing damage with one that isnt.

Pld received one of it's largest boosts back when we received Atonement. Pld's in mass transitioned to good TP sets and increased their enmity over time while also contributing to the kill speed.

However due to 750 damage being laughable inside abyssea (and outside abyssea now as well), Atonement just doesn't cut it, sending Pld back to the sidelines. That combined with not really having any "Holy ***" enemies that you really want the Pld safety net has kept me from using Pld for quite some time.

To bring Pld back as a usual job, we NEED more damage options. Whether it be a counter-type JA, a GOOD WS, or a simple damage boosting JA, so we can again provide something useful besides diverting the NMs attention.

Additionally, expanding the cover ability to protect allies from more damage and for longer would expand our uses.

Till that happens, you'll see me on a more useful job, coming back to the Mog House on occasion to see if Aegis is lonely.
 Bahamut.Aeronis
Server: Bahamut
user: Aeronis
By Bahamut.Aeronis 2011-02-17 16:35:00
Link | Quote | Reply

PLD is still nifty for fighting Yilbegan :o
 Fenrir.Gradd
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Gradd 2011-02-17 16:44:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Really not understanding all these people QQ'ing about PLD not having a good WS anymore, CDC is pretty damn powerful.
 Sylph.Starstrukk
user: Xera
By Sylph.Starstrukk 2011-02-17 16:45:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Aeronis said:

DDs can tank Yilbegan just fine?
 Sylph.Rorrick
user: Rorrick
By Sylph.Rorrick 2011-02-17 16:48:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Neosutra said:

Additionally, expanding the cover ability to protect allies from more damage and for longer would expand our uses.

Cover should be a job trait.
 Phoenix.Neosutra
By Phoenix.Neosutra 2011-02-17 16:54:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Gradd said:
Really not understanding all these people QQ'ing about PLD not having a good WS anymore, CDC is pretty damn powerful.

Not particularly. It's great for exp type mobs and things that my Whm could tank, but on higher defense NMs it displays Pld's innate weakness: Zero damage/attack JAs. We suffer from weak TP gain (you're not dual wielding with a shield, you're not getting the benefit of /war if you're using shadows, and we have no native DA/TA/Att+/WS dmg+). Pld will get TP half as fast as any standard DD (or less than half for jobs with specific X hit builds or high hit rates).

Almace doesn't hurt, but it's vorpal blade +1 on anything that matters and doesn't address the specific problems with Pld.
 Fenrir.Gradd
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Gradd 2011-02-17 17:05:00
Link | Quote | Reply

WHM can literally tank more mobs than most jobs, WHM is the new RDM it cant be killed w/ a good PDT setup/infinite MP/Stoneskin Cures. Id hope a WHM could tank anything lol.

Ive had a few times when a tank would go down on a harder NM and id just sit there letting it beat the ***out of my WHM just poking it and curing myself. (WHM idles in more PDT than PLD)

CDC is MUCH more powerful than Vorpal, Vorpal has always been crap cant even compare the two.
 Phoenix.Neosutra
By Phoenix.Neosutra 2011-02-17 17:14:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Gradd said:
WHM can literally tank more mobs than most jobs, WHM is the new RDM it cant be killed w/ a good PDT setup/infinite MP/Stoneskin Cures. Id hope a WHM could tank anything lol.

Ive had a few times when a tank would go down on a harder NM and id just sit there letting it beat the ***out of my WHM just poking it and curing myself. (WHM idles in more PDT than PLD)

CDC is MUCH more powerful than Vorpal, Vorpal has always been crap cant even compare the two.

The Vorpal+1 comment is a slight exaggeration, but it was to point out they suffer from the same inherent weaknesses on Pld (low attack, no damage boosting JAs, and slow TP gain). Even with ODD from Almace, Pld's DoT is pitiful and even CDC is pretty disappointing on higher def mobs.
 Asura.Matzilla
By Asura.Matzilla 2011-02-17 21:51:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Was nateen pretending to be a good paladin in this thread? :(

that valor body never came off in any situation
 Pandemonium.Ironguy
Server: Pandemonium
user: Ironguy
By Pandemonium.Ironguy 2011-02-17 22:27:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Matzilla said:
ffxi_2010_10_12_095750.png

we both know naten's HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE for still playing on ps2 in 2011 let alone still having pld geared (creed cuirass +2 now, nuevo coselete between valor and creed in the time line even though nuevo's still useful for the beginning of ichi casting, therefore lolps2 yet again etc), but being on pld as well in the same screenshot is kinda contradicting =(

heck i got my dring the one day naten was logged off, just kited it on a dd job like how everyone should be since it's not hard at all, especially not at lv90 now <_>
[+]
 Asura.Matzilla
By Asura.Matzilla 2011-02-17 22:35:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I kited kb on sam too bro, was only making fun of nateen's lack of swappable gear and I just looked sexy as *** in that ares body

thats why i liked playing pld, why do you like playing sam?
 Pandemonium.Ironguy
By Pandemonium.Ironguy 2011-02-17 22:41:45
Link | Quote | Reply

i like playing sam because i actually have it leveled and it can't wear equipment like ares' cuirass that was already outdated by 10/12/10, ignoring the fact of it costing around 4-5m at the time while valor surcoat is and always has been free =(
[+]
 Asura.Matzilla
By Asura.Matzilla 2011-02-17 22:49:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Refresh bodies paladin can use

Ares's Cuirass
Vermilion Cloak
eerie cloak +1

coming from the guy who wore the HARAMAKIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII because salvage was too hard and he was too busy standing in pj masturbating to /checks for his brosamune
[+]
 Bahamut.Dasva
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-02-17 22:49:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Neosutra said:
The Vorpal+1 comment is a slight exaggeration, but it was to point out they suffer from the same inherent weaknesses on Pld (low attack, no damage boosting JAs, and slow TP gain). Even with ODD from Almace, Pld's DoT is pitiful and even CDC is pretty disappointing on higher def mobs.
Get Ochain and /war like a boss
 Bahamut.Aeronis
user: Aeronis
By Bahamut.Aeronis 2011-02-17 22:51:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Starstrukk said:
Bahamut.Aeronis said:
DDs can tank Yilbegan just fine?
Shield blocks mitigate the damage much further, especially with the tail spam TP move. Although the last time I fought it was at 80, I don't think the dynamics of the fight have changed much.
 Pandemonium.Ironguy
By Pandemonium.Ironguy 2011-02-17 23:10:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Matzilla said:
i need to full time a refresh body on pld because it's the best way of holding hate on the job

ps: capping acc is/was hard at lv85 on 75 content, shinimimusha hara-ate allowed you to ws in byrnie instead of usubody via usubody route, do not pass go, do not collect $200
[+]
 Asura.Matzilla
By Asura.Matzilla 2011-02-17 23:12:00
Link | Quote | Reply

you looked like ***, and thats all that matters since ffxi isnt hard lols

First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8