Direction Matters In Synthing?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Crafter's Crib » Direction matters in synthing?
Direction matters in synthing?
 Quetzalcoatl.Princemercury
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
By Quetzalcoatl.Princemercury 2009-01-13 05:00:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Seems like enough people have posted test results and theories, I'll just add my no, it doesn't matter, I've never followed it and have had similar results to comparable synthesizers.
 Ramuh.Ardath
Server: Ramuh
user: Ardath
By Ramuh.Ardath 2009-01-13 05:19:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm with you on this one, I have tried both, and found that it is a crap shoot at best. I will add that synthing in you MH is the smart way to go, why take the chance of some one examining you and loosing your synth compeletly.
 Quetzalcoatl.Hidekii
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Thingy
By Quetzalcoatl.Hidekii 2009-01-13 07:44:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Ardath said:
I'm with you on this one, I have tried both, and found that it is a crap shoot at best. I will add that synthing in you MH is the smart way to go, why take the chance of some one examining you and loosing your synth compeletly.

ROFL....
since when did SE make it that you get examed and you loose your synth LOL!!!!!
oh man you most likely have never played this game or bought your account or synthed in your life to say something like that
GG!
 Ragnarok.Glade
Server: Ragnarok
user: Glade98
By Ragnarok.Glade 2009-01-13 08:12:06
Link | Quote | Reply

An easy way to get mass numbers quickly would be to set up a site that could record data from people from all servers entering info. Make it like a survey and just have drop downs of crystal used, tier of synth, moon phase, time of day, what day synth was done on and result of the synth (break, nq, hq, hq2, hq3). The thing with that is if people actually report true information, which I think they would since it seems people want to figure this out. Every so often say 100,000 synth entries or so caclulate out the results and post them on the same site. Just a thought and I've no idea how to make it all work and caculate since I haven't taken any kind of stats class or have any idea how to program html.
 Fairy.Winterlight
Server: Fairy
By Fairy.Winterlight 2009-01-14 06:08:53
Link | Quote | Reply

This might have been covered already but I had heard that during a Fan Festival (2006?) an SE developer was asked about crafting direction specifically and the first thing he did was to chuckle... CHUCKLE.

I can only imagine how the developers are laughing at us Americans. One thing we could do is watch JP players when they craft to see if face the "right" direction. If SE let it leak out that direction doesn't matter then I think the JPs would know about it first.

If direction is only a figment of our imaginations then I find it hard to believe that any company could've kept this a secret for this long. (It's been almost 6 years)
 Leviathan.Natsuchii
Server: Leviathan
user: Natsuchii
By Leviathan.Natsuchii 2009-01-17 12:40:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Winterlight said:
This might have been covered already but I had heard that during a Fan Festival (2006?) an SE developer was asked about crafting direction specifically and the first thing he did was to chuckle... CHUCKLE. I can only imagine how the developers are laughing at us Americans. One thing we could do is watch JP players when they craft to see if face the "right" direction. If SE let it leak out that direction doesn't matter then I think the JPs would know about it first. If direction is only a figment of our imaginations then I find it hard to believe that any company could've kept this a secret for this long. (It's been almost 6 years)

I posted the quote to that on page 1.
 Valefor.Forgotten
Server: Valefor
user: Forg
By Valefor.Forgotten 2009-01-20 21:11:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Glade said:
An easy way to get mass numbers quickly would be to set up a site that could record data from people from all servers entering info. Make it like a survey and just have drop downs of crystal used, tier of synth, moon phase, time of day, what day synth was done on and result of the synth (break, nq, hq, hq2, hq3). The thing with that is if people actually report true information, which I think they would since it seems people want to figure this out. Every so often say 100,000 synth entries or so caclulate out the results and post them on the same site. Just a thought and I've no idea how to make it all work and caculate since I haven't taken any kind of stats class or have any idea how to program html.

Been done. Even linked it in thread.

Since the site started recording several other people also made webpages to record data. Guess what? Nobody flipping notices. Even in the same thread just a few posts away someone mentioned it on the very same page. This is why we're doomed to have the same questions asked over and over and the dev panel can keep chuckling.

In the last year there have been all of 6 submissions and zero feedback on the project, leading to the author not caring to maintain it anymore.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [59 days between previous and next post]
 Bahamut.Pjohn
Server: Bahamut
user: Pjohn
By Bahamut.Pjohn 2009-03-20 15:05:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I know this thread is old but i just thought if this.

i think crafting direction is the equivalent of facing the elemental wheel on black mage and expecting higher damage output because you are facing the "right" direction.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
Server: Garuda
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-03-20 15:19:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Pjohn said:
I know this thread is old but i just thought if this.

i think crafting direction is the equivalent of facing the elemental wheel on black mage and expecting higher damage output because you are facing the "right" direction.

Mind me asking what you're basing this on? A look at your craft skills and I can't help but wonder what experiences you're drawing from...
 Bahamut.Pjohn
By Bahamut.Pjohn 2009-03-20 15:23:38
Link | Quote | Reply

LOL soon i will get yelled a for not facing the correct direction while casting Freeze II

Wooooodum the first line says it all.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-03-20 15:26:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't get it. You didn't answer my question. Why do you think that, and what experience are you basing that opinion on?
 Bahamut.Pjohn
By Bahamut.Pjohn 2009-03-20 15:30:28
Link | Quote | Reply

ops sorry wooooodum.
i dont believe in the direction theory i just dont think its practical programming as stated earlier.
 Asura.Reublucian
Server: Asura
user:
By Asura.Reublucian 2009-03-20 15:32:21
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

direction dont matta
Server: Fairy
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-03-20 15:34:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Pjohn said:
ops sorry wooooodum.
i dont believe in the direction theory i just dont think its practical programming as stated earlier.

I'm not entirely convinced myself...but I do it anyway lol
 Shiva.Artemicion
Server: Shiva
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-03-20 15:39:52

Just like with treasure hunter, there are countless conditions and formulas you could follow that may or may not yield different results than one that is random and incoherent when it comes to crafting. The point is no matter what trend of conditions you follow, the results are too vast, cryptic, and insignificant to set in stone which is "better" to follow.

Tests have been done, over and over and over again and in the long run it's completely inconclusive. As said before, if you believe your terms and conditions will help then follow them. Odds are it will give as little benefit as it would damage to follow or not.
 Diabolos.Abomb
Server: Diabolos
By Diabolos.Abomb 2009-03-20 15:45:10
Link | Quote | Reply

follow the wheel, if its ***it makes no difference anyway right? cover ur *** is all u need to do, if u dont beleive in that crap, like i dont, do it anyway,it makes no difference to me which way i face, as long as my HQ rates are ok.
 Ifrit.Haseyo
Server: Ifrit
user:
By Ifrit.Haseyo 2009-03-20 15:45:17

I think all of it is foolish. I craft where I want, whenever I want. I get the same results anyway. c.c
 Asura.Reublucian
Server: Asura
user:
By Asura.Reublucian 2009-03-20 15:48:10

Haseyo said:
I think all of it is foolish. I craft where I want, whenever I want. I get the same results anyway. c.c

I wouldn't go that far lol
 Ifrit.Haseyo
user:
By Ifrit.Haseyo 2009-03-20 15:52:46

TOM~FOOLARY!
Seriously, I don't have time to stand around waiting for days and ***. I craft.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-03-20 15:55:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Everyone is entitled to their own techniques, but overwhelming evidence implies that the majority of superstitions show some evidence of affecting success and high quality rates. In fact, there's so much overwhelming evidence on the millions scale (millions of tests from thousands of players) that moon phase directly affects high quality rate.

Believe in what you want, but I think you're an idiot if you try for a 10% HQ at Full Moon; not because you do it differently to me, but because you directly act in the opposite way millions of experiments reinforces.
 Ifrit.Haseyo
user:
By Ifrit.Haseyo 2009-03-20 15:59:22

I mean, it's just food. c.c
I don't do armor and weapons.
 Shiva.Artemicion
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-03-20 16:04:58

Wooooodum said:
Everyone is entitled to their own techniques, but overwhelming evidence implies that the majority of superstitions show some evidence of affecting success and high quality rates. In fact, there's so much overwhelming evidence on the millions scale (millions of tests from thousands of players) that moon phase directly affects high quality rate.

Believe in what you want, but I think you're an idiot if you try for a 10% HQ at Full Moon; not because you do it differently to me, but because you directly act in the opposite way millions of experiments reinforces.

The problem is it's not conclusive. There's evidence to support it's results but the conditions and possibility of outcome are far too vast to set this in stone. I know it sounds silly, but one shouldn't take something for granted just because it happens with what many would believe to be forever steadfast.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-03-20 16:06:48
Link | Quote | Reply

15% average HQ rate over 5000 synths at new moon and 26% HQ rate over 5000 synths on New Moon...

That's a pretty big difference. Multiply this by 100 for the vast amount of tests the playerbase has made as a whole. Saying it's not conclusive is just ignorant, because it is, lol.

To each their own techniques, but crafting against what clearly works defeats the whole purpose of levelling a craft in the first place, does it not?
[+]
 Shiva.Artemicion
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-03-20 16:10:52

You said new moon twice >_>; Did you mean 15% for Full Moon and 26% for New Moon?
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-03-20 16:11:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah... <.<
 Shiva.Artemicion
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-03-20 16:17:53

I'm sure there are conditions that give beneficial effects to crafting, my point was that it shouldn't be assumed it will always function or yield the way it's expected. We observe and make "laws" based on repetition that we often take for granted. There will always be random exceptions and anomalies that will occur time to time, and I feel this is no exception.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-03-20 16:18:39
Link | Quote | Reply

The same could be said about everything Square Enix have not personally confirmed, though. If we start treating things like that, what a bleak game this would become.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Shiva.Artemicion
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-03-20 16:23:36

Aye, it's like my comment for Assassin's Armlets. There are countless methods and conditions we can test for various results with virtually every system within the game. But there's no reason to make things more complicated than they need to be, simply do what works best for you. If people find a trend, try it yourself, and if it doesn't work for you do it your own way. I feel most strongly about this when it comes to gear. Which is why I <3 FFXI, it's not cookie cutter set-in-stone like WoW. Things are cryptic and enigmatic as to how they function and it's up to you to play it out to your own personal advantage.