Damn you PS2 limitations
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
 Bahamut.Zellc
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Zellc
By Bahamut.Zellc 2011-01-28 09:17:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Q: There have been no updates to the auto-translate dictionary recently. Can we expect any terms to be added in the future?

A: PlayStation 2 memory limitations have placed us in a difficult situation where the addition of new terms to the auto-translate dictionary would require the deletion of existing entries. Given this, there are no current plans to add new terms, and we ask for your patience and understanding as we consider all possibilities. In a related matter, we are looking into updating the glossary contained in the Play Guide available on the official web site.

Here is the link to the page to view other things said if you haven't already done so: link thingy
[+]
 Valefor.Zolan
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Zolan 2011-01-28 09:23:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Kill the cancer!

(I started on ps2 so I get its hard to change but get a ps3 contoller or ps2 to usb hookup and its soooo very worth it to go to PC)
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Kyrial
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Kyrial
By Quetzalcoatl.Kyrial 2011-01-28 09:23:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Still wish they could just ignore PS2 limitations on issues like this. Like, add the new terms only for non-PS2 users. Hell, maybe it'd even make most of the PS2 users (the ones who can, anyway) switch to another system. >.>
[+]
 Siren.Enternius
Server: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2011-01-28 09:26:57
Link | Quote | Reply

The weird thing is, just about ANY computer made in the last 8 years will run FFXI. I'd estimate that 98% of people that currently play on PS2 would have a computer that could also run it.

Just offer the PS2 users a free download of the game for PC (minus the registration codes to prevent people from getting the game for free), and drop PS2 support altogether. Even the PS2 users would be better off that way.

Topic has been hammered to death (Oh god, bad reference) I know, but it's really simple and it would be a beneficial thing for everyone, let alone just SE.
[+]
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2011-01-28 09:47:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Enternius said:
The weird thing is, just about ANY computer made in the last 8 years will run FFXI. I'd estimate that 98% of people that currently play on PS2 would have a computer that could also run it.

Just offer the PS2 users a free download of the game for PC (minus the registration codes to prevent people from getting the game for free), and drop PS2 support altogether. Even the PS2 users would be better off that way.

Topic has been hammered to death (Oh god, bad reference) I know, but it's really simple and it would be a beneficial thing for everyone, let alone just SE.
<_<
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
user: Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2011-01-28 10:09:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Enternius said:

I disagree, but hey I like a system that doesn't die every time I do besieged that is a dedicated XI box, then again since I multibox going PC onry isn't an option.

Although my thoughts on what they should do regarding all these things are in another thread, ps3, upgrade, blah blah blah.

XIV is looking to be a dead end anyway, wishful thinking still :D
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
Server: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-01-28 10:13:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Move ffxi to psp2, problem solved!
[+]
 Bahamut.Zellc
user: Zellc
By Bahamut.Zellc 2011-01-28 10:15:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Move ffxi to psp2, problem solved!

lol
 Titan.Cripnicc
Server: Titan
user: Cripnicc
By Titan.Cripnicc 2011-01-28 10:15:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I cant belive there are that many ppl that still play on ps2. If u can afford an ISP u must have a pc there fore why the hell are u paying on ps2. Help me understans this. and pls if u play on ps2 identify ur self.
[+]
 Leviathan.Catnipthief
Server: Leviathan
user: Fyyvoaa
By Leviathan.Catnipthief 2011-01-28 10:18:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Titan.Cripnicc said:
I cant belive there are that many ppl that still play on ps2. If u can afford an ISP u must have a pc there fore why the hell are u paying on ps2. Help me understans this. and pls if u play on ps2 identify ur self.

I'd say that not everyone has a PC capable of playing XI but ... that's kind of a hard thing to not have nowadays, albeit I do know a few people that do play on PS2 that have PCs, but they are not able to play on PC due to having crappy computer.
 Quetzalcoatl.Kyrial
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Kyrial
By Quetzalcoatl.Kyrial 2011-01-28 10:23:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Apparently Japan has way more people who play on PS2 than other places. Take that as you will. :P
[+]
 Titan.Cripnicc
By Titan.Cripnicc 2011-01-28 10:23:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Catnipthief said:
Titan.Cripnicc said:
I'd say that not everyone has a PC capable of playing XI but ... that's kind of a hard thing to not have nowadays, albeit I do know a few people that do play on PS2 that have PCs, but they are not able to play on PC due to having crappy computer.

they could'nt dream of playing ffxiv till the year 2020 lol

it's funny how u can only play ffxiv on a super pc,
but they wont get rid of ps2 support for ffxi

[+]
 Gilgamesh.Dionel
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Dionel
By Gilgamesh.Dionel 2011-01-28 10:25:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Titan.Cripnicc said:
Leviathan.Catnipthief said:
Titan.Cripnicc said:
they could'nt dream of playing ffxiv till the year 2020 lol it's funny how u can only play ffxiv on a super pc, but they wont get rid of ps2 support for ffxi
unless you own a ps3 and if they decide on releasing it.
 Fenrir.Mtmoogle
Server: Fenrir
user: Bogamoga
By Fenrir.Mtmoogle 2011-01-28 10:49:53
Link | Quote | Reply

why is it that i had no problems w/ my ps2 memory? i did the updates fine w/ no problems and i have other non-ffxi related stuff on there aswell
 Ramuh.Lilsanchez
Server: Ramuh
By Ramuh.Lilsanchez 2011-01-28 10:56:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Mtmoogle said:
why is it that i had no problems w/ my ps2 memory? i did the updates fine w/ no problems and i have other non-ffxi related stuff on there aswell

People that I spoke with have usually tampered with their HDD in some way other then with FFXI. Like saved game memory card data on it as back up or whatever.
No matter the case if you mssed with it at all, and even if you deleted the data off the HDD. For some reason the update wont go through. So lucky people that decided to never touch their HDD. Good going. Mine worked just fine.
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
Server: Siren
user: Kalila
By Siren.Kalilla 2011-01-28 11:11:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Playstation 2 is an 11 year old system. It had its day and it has long passed. It prevents any further expansion of the game, any realistically significant update to content of the game, and prevents simple things like auto-translate from updating because it is so obsolete.

PS2 is still a fun system to play on, it had a lot of great games and they are still good to this day. I still use my NES every now and then. Companies have long since let go of the NES, SNES, and so on. They follow the advancement of technology as does the rest of society, at least if you play an online game chances are you do.

Anyone who still plays FFXI on the PS2 is paying 15+ dollars a month to significantly damage the game year after year this problem goes on. They are contributing to expansion not being possible, content not being released because people still insist playing on an 11 year old console that has long been obsolete. Game's aren't even developed on the PS2 anymore, why should FFXI hold onto it so much? HDD support was dropped from Sony even in the later models of PS2 because it was a pain in the neck for PS2 to support. No one used it except us really, and the fact that FFXI takes up the whole HDD is something to be brought up.

This is the time when PS2 is seriously having problems, more than ever. PS2 owners have to actually uninstall ffxi with everything else and reinstall it just to actually play the new material, as far as I know of. Now they are going to get their special update process where it downloads 1 file, then erases the old file, and so on. I'm sure download speeds will be much slower for them as well as the Xbox 360 (yes, it was said its getting it as well).

SquareEnix, please let go of a dead console. By dead I mean no longer supported by 99.9% of other companies in the world. We pay 15 dollars a month to play this game, and what it has turned out to be is re-skinned zones and re-filtered content we have already experienced. Let go of the deadweight so the player community can experience actual content update that means something. New story lines, new experiences. New expansion pacts, new mechanics update like auto-translate. You already took the risk of increasing the level cap which I'm surprised the PS2 even supports more than 75 levels. You won't loose that many more customers if you drop support for the PS2. Any PS2 owner who can defend their right to play on the PS2 on these forums have a computer, otherwise they couldn't post. Chances are they can play FFXI on their computer, or spend a few bucks and buy a console.

The only reason I'd miss the PS2 is the loss of being able update my payment information bypassing the Verfied by Visa system. Why don't you drop that as well :) its stupid, most cards aren't supported by the program, I'd say around 90% aren't. I hate that ***so much lol.

Edit: If I were to take a guess, SE refuses to drop support for PS2 due to some contract they made when developing the game. In my opinion that should still hold true with the PS3 which I think Sony would be more than glad to have old PS2 users move to PS3. That's the whole idea of developing a PS3 anyways... I would think lol.

I've said in previous posts that they wouldn't have to drop support for PS2 entirely. Just make the PS2 users choose which expansions they want to keep and which they choose to uninstall. Chances are they dont need CoP anymore, if they are a diehard PS2 player they would make a sacrifice to allow the growth of the game they pay for.
[+]
 Odin.Kaysa
Server: Odin
user: Kaysa
By Odin.Kaysa 2011-01-28 11:26:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I personally play on a PS2 and my computer is a MacBook Pro. The only way I'll get to run FFXI on it is if I install Windows on it, and that's not happening. They still support the PS2 so I'm not changing until they stop that.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Lynxblade
Server: Carbuncle
user: Lynxblade
By Carbuncle.Lynxblade 2011-01-28 11:35:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Id rather play on ps2 then lolfailbox anyday, ive tried this game on 2dif xbox systems,1 was brand new, and i get frozen all the goddamn time. Long story short, im not gona stop playing on ps2, until they make it down loadable for ps3.
[+]
 Titan.Cripnicc
By Titan.Cripnicc 2011-01-28 12:01:04
Link | Quote | Reply

The ps2 users reveal them selves, lol

I play on PC and 360 and i like both of them for diffrent reasons, i never had any major freezing problems with the 360.
By Titan.Darkestknight 2011-01-28 12:04:05
Link | Quote | Reply

When a console damages/stops any future updates, it should stop being supported.

As the PS2 has been doing that for ages, support for it should end.
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Dionel
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Dionel
By Gilgamesh.Dionel 2011-01-28 12:06:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Titan.Darkestknight said:
When a console damages/stops any future updates, it should stop being supported. As the PS2 has been doing that for ages, support for it should end.
So they should stop supporting xbox360 since I heard and seen people crash.
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-01-28 12:08:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Kaysa said:
I personally play on a PS2 and my computer is a MacBook Pro. The only way I'll get to run FFXI on it is if I install Windows on it, and that's not happening. They still support the PS2 so I'm not changing until they stop that.
Inferior products
[+]
 Ragnarok.Erikthecleric
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Erikthecleric 2011-01-28 12:09:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Dionel said:
When a console damages/stops any future updates, it should stop being supported. As the PS2 has been doing that for ages, support for it should end.

cause 360s crashing /stops/ future updates. lol.
[+]
By Titan.Darkestknight 2011-01-28 12:09:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Dionel said:

No, because random crashes happen with anything, even computers are not free from them.

the PS2 is stopping the game from getting pretty much anything the game needs or that should just exist, (IE. Auto Translate for new items and terms, such as Abyssea) because of it's outdated, limited specs. Two completely different things.
[+]
 Titan.Cripnicc
By Titan.Cripnicc 2011-01-28 12:22:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Titan.Cripnicc said:
The ps2 users reveal them selves, lol I play on PC and 360 and i like both of them for diffrent reasons, i never had any major freezing problems with the 360.

^^ I just said this. If u are having crashing issues on ur 360 i think u need to buy a new one. has nothing to do with ffxi
 Shiva.Flionheart
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-01-28 12:23:35
Link | Quote | Reply

And this is what happens when you allow MMO's to be played on consoles. You get instability (360) and hardware inferiority (PS2) which slows down updates.

I'm not thrilled that the PS3 is getting XIV tbh, I've got a horrible feeling that there'll be PS3 limitations eventually, though it's doubtful.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Rieekil
Server: Ragnarok
user: Rieekil
By Ragnarok.Rieekil 2011-01-28 12:49:01
Link | Quote | Reply

just play ffxi on PS3 :3
 Fenrir.Mtmoogle
Server: Fenrir
user: Bogamoga
By Fenrir.Mtmoogle 2011-01-28 12:58:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Unless my ffxi(ps2 version) came w/ a better hdd to where ive never had a problem updateing and still have room, or ppl need to take all the extra crap out of their hdd.

PS24LYFE
LET IT LIVE AND PROSPER!!!! D:
[+]
 Bismarck.Seiver
Server: Bismarck
user: Seiver
By Bismarck.Seiver 2011-01-28 12:59:54
Link | Quote | Reply

When a console damages/stops any future updates, it should stop being supported.

As the PS2 has been doing that for ages, support for it should end.
this
[+]
 Sylph.Chrisstreb
By Sylph.Chrisstreb 2011-01-28 13:04:08
Link | Quote | Reply

just wait, theres an 11 1/2 hour maint next Thursday, betting something to do with the damn PS2 lol
First Page 2 3 4 5 6