Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Paladin » Spell Interupt vs. Shield Skill
Spell Interupt vs. Shield Skill
 Cerberus.Zandra
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Zandra7
By Cerberus.Zandra 2011-01-17 14:26:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Haste is most effective macro-ed in before you cast (for the casting timer) and at the point of casting (for the recast timer). Therefore it generally takes priority in my utsusemi casting set. My question is once i hit the desired amount of haste/fastcast, is it better to stuff shield skill in the remaining slots OR spell interrupt down?

Here is my current set

Shield is capped @ lvl 90

(There should be an incantor stone in there as well)

VS.

a set with 49% interupt added to it (57% with merits)

I mean you want as much haste in there as possible but how much spell interrupt do you need in order to have it make a difference?
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [60 days between previous and next post]
 Carbuncle.Grandthief
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Grandthief 2011-03-18 13:18:09
Link | Quote | Reply

For me, spell-interruptionrate has been any good.. I remember lvling nin with capped skills and the 25% spell-interruptions down katana and it proc'ed like 1-2 times during all the time I've been lvling.
Of course, that's not the only situation where that failed for the most part but that skill is certainly nothing to rely on, unless you stack it up to a very high percentage, like say 80%.

I've gotten screwed over by hoping for that to occur so many times.. so, I'm just suggesting to either time your casts well (which I'm just generally doing to not have to rely on other crap) between the enemy's attacks or just add shield skill or PDT in the remaining spots where you cant add haste or fast cast.

Only my personal opinion/experiences though.
 Carbuncle.Kurosawa
user: Kurosawa
By Carbuncle.Kurosawa 2011-03-18 13:23:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I go haste > shield skill > PDT > spell interrupt down.

You can get some decent Paragon Harness pieces for Ichi recasts with PDT and spell interruption down on them. I think fast cast is possible on those too-although of course, 95% of the ones you get will be garbage. Ichi and Ni sets should be different, with more shield skill on Ichi used due to longer cast time (after all the haste and fast cast you can get in of course).
 Phoenix.Booklopedia
Server: Phoenix
user: EjinXI
By Phoenix.Booklopedia 2011-03-18 13:25:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Put in a Nuevo Coselete if you can for Fast Cast +5. This will not only to quicken recast but the actual spell casting time, can be a life saver when casting Ichi.
 Asura.Izilder
Server: Asura
user: Izildur
By Asura.Izilder 2011-03-18 13:33:11
Link | Quote | Reply

very old post so he may not even care now but ... in regards to SID on Pld i just use it when rampart/iron will is up as its pretty junk for the rest of the time when you cant hit the SID cap.

if your really that focused on SID for sake of shadows.. and want to keep it cheap/easy ! You could always get size 1 shield its most prob more reliable than a half arsed SID build

Also some people think/say that the shield from Aspid has an enhanced proc rate (hidden affect??) - idk but you may wish to investigate - and could use it as and when you see fit.

or just go get yourself an Ochain XD
 Carbuncle.Grandthief
By Carbuncle.Grandthief 2011-03-18 15:30:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Kurosawa said:
I go haste > shield skill > PDT > spell interrupt down.

You can get some decent Paragon Harness pieces for Ichi recasts with PDT and spell interruption down on them. I think fast cast is possible on those too-although of course, 95% of the ones you get will be garbage. Ichi and Ni sets should be different, with more shield skill on Ichi used due to longer cast time (after all the haste and fast cast you can get in of course).

Agreed, totally. :0
 Bismarck.Maxse
Server: Bismarck
user: maxse
By Bismarck.Maxse 2011-03-18 15:37:08
Link | Quote | Reply

To OP you don't need to put haste on precast it doesn't effect casting time.