Forum » FFXI » General » Kannagi Vs. Almace
Kannagi Vs. Almace
 Gilgamesh.Kunimitsu
Server: Gilgamesh
Game: FFXI
user: Kunimitsu
By Gilgamesh.Kunimitsu 2010-12-29 09:16:31
Link | Quote | Reply

So a friend of mine is starting on his Emp weapon, but can't decide which to get! We have a nin with Kannagi in our ls so we know all about that. What we haven't seen is a blu with Almace.

Anyone seen one in action, or have any opinions on almace vs kannagi, for someone who spends equal time on NIN and BLU? How does chant du cygne compare to blade: hi? thanks!
By Rydstrom 2010-12-29 09:20:07
Link | Quote | Reply

blade hi no contest...
[+]
 Asura.Darkultima
Server: Asura
By Asura.Darkultima 2010-12-29 09:21:00
Link | Quote | Reply

blade hi > all
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-12-29 09:40:02
Link | Quote | Reply

It's more than just one weapon's WS damage versus another. Consider that spells reduce your WS frequency and also reduce how often aftermath can proc. Even if the WS are similar overall (which I'm sure they are), Kannagi is the bigger improvement overall.
[+]
 Bahamut.Dasva
Server: Bahamut
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2010-12-29 09:50:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Idk you can put up some rather high zorro slashes
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
Server: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-12-29 09:53:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Dasva said:
Idk you can put up some rather high zorro slashes
As well as blade hi, victory smite, ukko's fury.

Your point?
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2010-12-29 09:54:50
Link | Quote | Reply

The first few people were more or less implying that blade hi completely dominated zorro slash? Or one person saying blade hi>all
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-12-29 09:58:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Dasva said:
The first few people were more or less implying that blade hi completely dominated zorro slash? Or one person saying blade hi>all
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
It's more than just one weapon's WS damage versus another. Consider that spells reduce your WS frequency and also reduce how often aftermath can proc. Even if the WS are similar overall (which I'm sure they are), Kannagi is the bigger improvement overall.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-12-29 10:00:06
Link | Quote | Reply

As for those other posts, yea they're HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE posts, but Night pretty much summed it up and /endthread should have taken place there.
 Gilgamesh.Kunimitsu
By Gilgamesh.Kunimitsu 2010-12-29 10:05:29
Link | Quote | Reply

That was what I was saying to them too, nin will get more out of a weapon than a blu would due to spells. Just neither of us have seen an Almace in action, so didnt know if it has some super omgwtf ws or something to make it more worthwhile.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2010-12-29 10:12:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Except you could build yourself for physical DDing and put off spells as much...
 Gilgamesh.Kunimitsu
By Gilgamesh.Kunimitsu 2010-12-29 10:14:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Dasva said:
Except you could build yourself for physical DDing and put off spells as much...
Would that be worth it with Almace? I'm no BLU myself, i've no idea how it would compare
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2010-12-29 10:16:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Kunimitsu said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Would that be worth it with Almace? I'm no BLU myself, i've no idea how it would compare
I only have the WoE+1 and just got... but idk it might be worth it situationally. The dmg on zorro slash is pretty hot.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-12-29 10:20:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Dasva said:
I'm not saying it's not worth upgrading for BLU. The weapon is our best mainhand overall right now to my knowledge, though I could see Tizona being useful outside Abyssea if the tierups on the Converts Damage to MP are worth anything. I'm just saying NIN gets more benefit out of Kannagi - not because of a superior WS, everything I've seen says they perform about the same - but because of the way each job deals damage.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2010-12-29 10:22:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
I'm not saying it's not worth upgrading for BLU. The weapon is our best mainhand overall right now to my knowledge, though I could see Tizona being useful outside Abyssea if the tierups on the Converts Damage to MP are worth anything. I'm just saying NIN gets more benefit out of Kannagi - not because of a superior WS, everything I've seen says they perform about the same - but because of the way each job deals damage.
I get that... but I'm saying it might be worth changing how you deal the majority of your dmg
 Bismarck.Luces
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Luces 2010-12-29 10:44:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I have seen several ninjas with blade: hi, both empy and WoE, and I have seen nothing all that has impressed me except when it spikes. I do know that on rdm/blu in abyssea I sit around 1.5k-2k Vorpal blades with my top spikes being at 2.8-3k without drinks, last time I Went out was 2 atmas, RR and VV, sword skill of 290(skilling it up at the time). I would assume since RDM has access to a good amount of dex gear that blue would have access to even further since SE has said *** you rdm since blu came out, but I'm not a blu so I can't confirm this. I think a better question would be which job would the ws make the most improvement on over your current ws numbers and the fact that almace can be used by pld and rdm aswell sp it depends on what other jobs your friend has. Based off the ninjas I have seen and the limited testing/info I have been able to find on Almace, hoping to finish my helms next week. Of course Spicey Ryanand others are probably gunna flame me for posting my personal experiences with blade: hi ninjas. As for the aftermath, well blu's shouldn't be tping on majority of the nms unless for some reason they are tanking it, or u just throw 18 people at a nm instead of low manning it. Ninja will benifit from the aftermath, help you keep hate ect... If your friend doesn't plan on using the almace on rdm or pld as well then the Katana will probably serve him better. How about the main question though, Which job does your friend use more for, solo and/or events? No point in doing a katana if your only on ninja when the ls needs the red ws and that's all your there for then it's a waist. If you don't know how to use a sword on rdm and still do your job then learn how to play the job.
 Ramuh.Laffter
Server: Ramuh
user: Rocketpop
By Ramuh.Laffter 2010-12-29 10:46:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Luces: Lots of RDMs I know don't have their Sword skilled up. >__>
 Bismarck.Luces
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Luces 2010-12-29 10:58:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Laffter said:
Luces: Lots of RDMs I know don't have their Sword skilled up. >__>

I'm assuming since the almace is for blu that his sword skill would be capped >.>. I also meet more rdms now days that think rdm has a staff skill and are unaware that they have a high sword skill and 0 staff skil

Just because rdm can use a sword doesn't mean we should. It takes a ton of work for hard gear, well now a lot easier, with current ws's to make it a vallid option. the macros required are also very crazy and time consuming to make, least mine are I should probably use spellcast. So when I say if you don't know how to use a sword on rdm and do your job, then learn how to play the job. I don't mean you should be using a sword on rdm, but if you have an almace you should learn as the ws will is extremely impressive on rdms outside of abyssea as well as inside.

Thought I should clarify this so some idiot doesn' t respond with some stupid non-sence remark like every rdm needs to be using a sword or some retardedness and try to put words into my mouth.
 Carbuncle.Asymptotic
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Asymptotic 2010-12-29 11:33:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Completely ignoring spells, NIN's attack speed has to make Kannagi better than Almace simply for aftermath procs.
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2010-12-29 12:16:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Is the fTP for Chant known?

Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-12-29 12:21:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I think the only concrete info we have on it is the DEX mod and skillchain properties. Asked about fTP/WSC values on BG a while back and got no response.
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2010-12-29 12:30:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Another related question then: What is the proc rate on ODD? Can it proc on DA or TA hits?
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-12-30 19:01:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kyte said:
Is the fTP for Chant known?

Updating now that I found info: Studio Gobli is tentatively reporting it as 2.25 fTP and 60% DEX.

Siren.Kyte said:
Another related question then: What is the proc rate on ODD? Can it proc on DA or TA hits?
iirc 30%, I'd assume so.