WHM Subjobs/which Is Most Useful?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » White Mage » WHM subjobs/which is most useful?
WHM subjobs/which is most useful?
First Page 2 3
Server: Fairy
Game: FFXI
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-02-18 13:43:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm currently leveling WHM, and I'm coming to the point where my BLM sub is gonna be under-leveled. Thing is, I don't really enjoy BLM all that much, and due to limited options in my static for other people to fill the role of healer, it's pretty hard for me to work BLM into our exp parties in a way that's not terribly slow.

That being said, I have SCH to 20, and SMN to lol6. I've been thinking of saying screw BLM and just focusing on getting SCH to 37, this would allow me to still be the main healer. I could also work on my SMN, I would like to level that regardless...can SMN hold it's own well as a main healer at lower levels? Does RDM work as a sub for WHM? I've got RDM to 31, so that would be fastest...

Also, am I gonna need BLM leveled at some point? Is that pretty much expected of WHM's to have available as a sub?
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
Server: Gilgamesh
user: alyria
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-02-18 13:46:07
Link | Quote | Reply

well u can just level sync it to 37 in the dunes, qufim area too. Sometimes you might need /blm, /sch works in some occasions too, and I rarely see a /smn for whm.

From what i've seen its common as /blm but in some events ive seen /sch too.
 Sylph.Hitetsu
Server: Sylph
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-02-18 13:46:38
Link | Quote | Reply

It's expected, but not essential. I am/was halfway through writing a "quick guide" for WHM's while Wiki didn't have one I liked when I took it up again.

I'll PM you the section I wrote on SJ's.

Personally though, I used /BLM -> 50, 50 -> 74 /SMN (mostly because I didn't have /SCH). 74 /SCH
[+]
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-02-18 13:48:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Alyria said:
well u can just level sync it to 37 in the dunes, qufim area too.

Problem is, I've done that so much already, my skills are all terribly underleveled. I've been trying to skill it up in beseiged, but the skillups I get are few and far between. >.<

Hitetsu said:
I'll PM you the section I wrote on SJ's.

Thanks! ^^
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-02-18 13:50:39
Link | Quote | Reply

well i meant that for blm if you dont care to ever lvl that job to 75. you may as well do blm to 37 as level sync.
 Pandemonium.Luignata
Server: Pandemonium
user:
By Pandemonium.Luignata 2009-02-18 13:50:42
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

/SCH is a really under rated and all around avoided sub. But in all honesty, /SCH trumps both /BLM, /SMN, and /SMN in a lot of situations.

Penury for WHM’s, Reduced Casting/Recast time for WHM spells, reduced MP cost, along with Celerity for the occasional Raise. Stick a Sublimation in there is icing on the cake. (Assuming there's no RDM in your party)

What does /BLM offer? Slightly larger MP pool and Conserve MP. /SMN? Larger MP pool with a 1MP/tic refresh, which Sublimation and Penury pretty much can replace easily.

My opinion, go /SCH all the way.
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-02-18 13:53:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Alyria said:
well i meant that for blm if you dont care to ever lvl that job to 75. you may as well do blm to 37.

Ah I see...I will get around to it at some point (leveling BLM), but it's painful to me. The few times I've partied with it I've always ended up healing because the main healer we had just sucked and let people get into the red before they did anything.
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-02-18 13:54:30
Link | Quote | Reply

isnt sublimation and penury at later levels as /sch? i dunno im not a sch so i dont know of when they use it.

So if he cant use it til later on as higher whm why /sch all the way? i'm curious
 Asura.Celene
Server: Asura
user: Celene
By Asura.Celene 2009-02-18 13:57:44
Link | Quote | Reply

/SCH. SCH benefits you more than both /BLM and /SMN, anyways. I know I would /SCH if I didn't hate leveling pre 25. >.> It has a lot to offer for WHM.
 Asura.Malekith
Server: Asura
By Asura.Malekith 2009-02-18 13:58:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Scholar's obtain Penury at level 10 & Sublimation at 37
[+]
 Sylph.Hitetsu
Server: Sylph
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-02-18 13:59:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Not all that much before 50, and even then I'd prefer /SMN for refresh before Sublimation, though I didn't have /SCH until 74, and I still only have it at 36 because I'm too lazy to pull out gear for it.
[+]
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-02-18 13:59:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Malekith said:
Scholar's obtain Penury at level 10 & Sublimation at 37

Wow Sublimation is hawt...hadn't read up on that before ^^
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-02-18 14:01:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Malekith said:
Scholar's obtain Penury at
level 10 & Sublimation at 37

I see. So how long does it take to recast penury? it doesnt say on wiki.

Well guess then /sch would be good if the recast is fast for penury. Maybe /sch may be better then

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Pandemonium.Luignata
user:
By Pandemonium.Luignata 2009-02-18 14:03:57

Alyria said:
isnt sublimation and penury at later levels as /sch? i dunno im not a sch so i dont know of when they use it.

So if he cant use it til later on as higher whm why /sch all the way? i'm curious

Sublimation is a level 35 ability, which means he won’t get it til 70 on WHM. Penury is a level 10 ability, so he’ll get that at level 20 WHM.

Penury and Light Arts alone at level 20 is reason enough to choose /SCH over /BLM or /SMN. /BLM or /SMN at level 20 WHM are basically non-functioning subs at that level, /SMN don’t get refresh til WHM is 50, all you get is Max MP Boost… which turns out to be +10 MP. /BLM doesn’t get Conserve MP til his WHM is level 40, and even then Penury + Light Arts pretty much blow Conserve MP away.
 Unicorn.Smurfo
Server: Unicorn
user: Stubbie
By Unicorn.Smurfo 2009-02-18 14:12:33
Link | Quote | Reply

if you dont have /SCH use /BLM, if you dont have /BLM use /SMN, if you dont have any of the above use /RDM LOL

Actually one very under-rated sub imo is /brd for 50-60ish parties, since red mages and bards are *** and wont exp if you are in a party with a paladin alot of times, its very useful.

Why use /smn when you could use /brd and share an MP tick rather than hog it :P

I'm a taru though so it's not like i needed MP from a subjob at that level for anything... i think either way /smn is probably the second most gimped *** sub next to rdm, lol
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-02-18 14:17:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, if it makes any difference, my WHM is level 56, BLM is 29, RDM is 31, SCH is 20, and SMN is 6. I'd like to get all those jobs to at least 37 (well, ALL jobs really ^^) but right now it's just a matter of what to focus on, as my BLM sub is gonna be gimp in 4 levels.
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-02-18 14:18:27
Link | Quote | Reply

level syncing time :P
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-02-18 14:22:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Alyria said:
level syncing time :P

I have been lately...been syncing to 45ish in a DNC NIN WHM WAR 4 man static (awesome combination, btw, chaining IT's no problem) but other members in the static wanna focus on other, higher level jobs, more, so syncing low is kinda out unfortunately.
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-02-18 14:24:59
Link | Quote | Reply

tisk tisk, what ya doing now!!? Are you on the game? If you are standing in your moghouse right now go level sync your subs lol

besides you should have some time somewhere when your not in static or events :P

(btw I Win!! posts :P)
 Pandemonium.Luignata
user:
By Pandemonium.Luignata 2009-02-18 14:25:47

With your WHM at 56, nearly 60, /SCH gets a nice stratagem boost (4 minute recharge pre 60, 2 minute recharge post 60) you’ll really make good use of it then.

In the end you’ll want all subs obviously, because everything is situational and you may need a different sub depending on what you’re doing. What comes to mind may be /SMN for Golden Salvage or to track the Imp NM in Red Baron Assault, or if you’re fighting Cactrot Rapido. /BLM for Warp is an obvious choice, along with Escape if you’re doing a lot of traveling, also Tractor is nice such as in Dyna (People really die in the worst places there), /RDM if you need Phalanx for tanking such as with the Blitzkrieg Assault…

Everything is situational. You’ll need all the subs eventually for one thing or another. But as far as exping/meriting goes… I’d go /SCH and I wouldn’t look back.
 Bismarck.Misao
Server: Bismarck
user: misacat
By Bismarck.Misao 2009-02-18 14:31:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Basically, depending on the situation the best subjobs for WHM are:

Blackmage: Really usefull [standart] Sj, this will get you trough mostly everything. helpfull because of Conserve Mp trait, Warp, Escape, Tractor. Escape helps in tough areas like Sky, Sea, or other Dungeons.

Summoner: Good for the MP bonus and Auto-Refresh. Carbuncle can be helpfull on some situations, as well as other Avatars, but these cases are not common. Imo, this sj is good when you have to stay on the move often [Nyzul/Salvage come into mind].

Scholar: Best SJ for Whm. while it wont supply MP like both Sj's mentioned above, Light Arts effect will cut your Spell Mp cost by 10% & Casting/Recast time by 10%, and will improve your Enhancing & Enfeebling magic above cap [other magic skills too if underleveled]
You also get 2 Strategems [Penury/Celery], wich are always usefull, especially for a quick Raise. When Duoing, use of Darkarts+Strategem will give you access to Dispel.
Edit: How could I forget to mention this? Sublimination rocks, I usualy get 252~264 MP per charge back. Downside of it, it cancels Refresh while in effect. Best used when paired with a Bard or Corsair.

Redmage: Used to be a good SJ until scholar was released, worth mentioning atleast. While Rdm gave low Mp pool, Fastcast was nice to have, along with Phalanx, Gravity and Dispel. This SJ was a good choise if you had gear that would give Conserve MP Trait. I rarely still use when duoing or something, mostly because of Gravity/Dispel.
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-02-18 14:33:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Alyria said:
tisk tisk, what ya doing now!!? Are you on the game? If you are standing in your moghouse right now go level sync your subs lol

besides you should have some time somewhere when your not in static or events :P

(btw I Win!! posts :P)

Lol, no I'm not logged in atm, was earlier but that was just for some muling and AH maintenance. Our static starts up in like 3 hours, so I'm resisting the urge...I spend waaay too much time logged in as it is, at least according to my family. With Zilart missions, Assaults, Besieged, Adventuring Fellow leveling, crafting, exping, etc I've got so much crap going on lol

I'll concede the post count victory for now, but this is NOT the end...MWAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!! ^^
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-02-18 14:36:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Xxnumbertwoxx said:
With Zilart missions, Assaults, Besieged, Adventuring Fellow leveling, crafting, exping, etc I've got so much crap going on lol

lol sooo NPC leveling can be dropped for a few days, beseiged? lol

I'm sure those can be stopped for a bit and put in leveling sub
 Valefor.Mithano
Server: Valefor
user: mithano
By Valefor.Mithano 2009-02-18 14:37:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Career WHM here.

BLM is essential for one thing - elemental seal. If you do any kind of endgame stuff, being able to eseal slow mobs is critical. That aside, unless you use it a lot for transportation and warping, you don't need to have it. Especially now that whm gets repose, having the sleep blm normally gave is no longer needed. I personally always /blm, but that's because I move around a lot in game.

SCH is very nice, and a great one to use. I'd say it's about on par with /smn from what I've seen. I wouldn't complain about a whm who wanted to do either full time, I have whms that do both.

DRK is also a great sub to have if you do endgame, for having stun. DRG is also a fun toy, using High Jump to remove enmity can be interesting. Both of these are very specialized and not common, though.

I would say SMN = SCH > BLM > DRK/DRG > RDM > anything else for most situations.
 Pandemonium.Luignata
user:
By Pandemonium.Luignata 2009-02-18 14:46:26

Mithano said:
Career WHM here.

BLM is essential for one thing - elemental seal. If you do any kind of endgame stuff, being able to eseal slow mobs is critical. That aside, unless you use it a lot for transportation and warping, you don't need to have it. Especially now that whm gets repose, having the sleep blm normally gave is no longer needed. I personally always /blm, but that's because I move around a lot in game.

SCH is very nice, and a great one to use. I'd say it's about on par with /smn from what I've seen. I wouldn't complain about a whm who wanted to do either full time, I have whms that do both.

DRK is also a great sub to have if you do endgame, for having stun. DRG is also a fun toy, using High Jump to remove enmity can be interesting. Both of these are very specialized and not common, though.

I would say SMN = SCH > BLM > DRK/DRG > RDM > anything else for most situations.

I don't mean to flame you, but I question your SMN = SCH statement. I fail to see how /SMN can keep up with /SCH. /SMN get 1MP/Refresh, which is nothing compared to Penury and Light Arts, and Sublimation is pretty equivalent to the Max MP Pool /SMN gives you.
 Fairy.Tbest
user: Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-02-18 14:48:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Two words for sub-job leveling.

Astral Burn
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
Server: Garuda
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-02-18 14:50:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Bartimaeus said:
Generally speaking a high level whitemage has a noble's tunic for a starting refresh, add with that summoner refresh for a +2 tic. Not that it's MUCH more a difference, just throwing that in there :b

OH NO CMAWN!!!!!

WOH!!!

/derail :3
 Bismarck.Misao
Server: Bismarck
user: misacat
By Bismarck.Misao 2009-02-18 14:51:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Bartimaeus said:
Generally speaking a high level whitemage has a noble's tunic for a starting refresh, add with that summoner refresh for a +2 tic. Not that it's MUCH more a difference, just throwing that in there :b

add Sanction/Sigil
and Conserve MP Gear goes well with /smn sub
First Page 2 3