Abyssea - Sharing NMs
First Page 2 3
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2010-11-21 20:52:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Howdy all, just wondering what people's opinions are on sharing pop NMs in abyssea. That is to say, two groups want the same NM, and agree to take turns popping it. My abyssea shell has been doing it this way since the start more or less, we play in JP prime time and most zones have around 200 people in them when we go, so there's generally no such thing as an NM that's not being camped.

In our shell, we're usually just after 2-3 pop items from the NM, so we're never there for long, although even when I've been in to farm seals with low-man groups, it's generally the same deal.

The reason I'm asking this, not that it's a massive deal, is because I got to the bomb NM in Vunk yesterday, waited until the people there were finished killing, then asked nicely in /say if there was any chance we could take turns popping. Honestly, I think of it as a formality, no-one has rights over an NM, and it belongs to the first person that manages to pop it, but by taking turns you can be civil and friendly about it. So anyway, one of the people responded to me with one word "none", meaning no chance. There was no civility whatsoever, no explanation that they were only popping a couple more, or anything like that, just a straight up "none". That is, until after I told them I was only asking to be nice, and since they were going to be *** about it I would be too and just take it. That's when they started to complain that they were only here because bla bla bla and they only had 40 minutes left anyway.

So that's my rant, just wondering what everyone else's opinions are on taking turns on NMs and what you would have done in the same situation.
[+]
By baufian 2010-11-21 20:59:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Personally I agree with you if we were to share, it would make it easier and give everyone the chance to get any item/exp they need/want. this game is about having fun and partying, not takeing the fun out of it for other people helping keeping the server going. remember less people means more chance of closing.
[+]
Server: Siren
By Siren.Flunklesnarkin 2010-11-21 20:59:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Guess it depends on what people want really..

If you are both after the same drop id say fair game to not share..

but if you just want atma's or w/e might as well share..

just did fistule today for the regen atma.. and a couple jp's were out there farming the discharges..

we teamed up and everybody got what they wanted. We got atma .. they got discharges ^^
 Bahamut.Wakabo
Server: Bahamut
user: Wakabo
By Bahamut.Wakabo 2010-11-21 21:00:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Was doing a ls farming of the *** nm and another group was there. I'm fine with switching on and off, but they decided "they killed theirs faster, let them go twice then we will go." Was extremely HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE :3

Only other time it worked well was the wamoura nm. Both parties joined up and lotted seals when it was their pop. Most of the group was killing the nm, but the rest were farming new pops too so it wasn't a waste of time.
[+]
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2010-11-21 21:01:42
Link | Quote | Reply

i think theyll find atlantis before ppl start being coopertive and nice with each other. At least your trying tho' thats always good
[+]
 Phoenix.Tunafests
Server: Phoenix
user: Tunafests
By Phoenix.Tunafests 2010-11-21 21:04:00
Link | Quote | Reply

You done good.

No really, that's the way it should be. Even though it's on a time limit you shouldn't have to sit there spamming trade just to get a chance at popping an NM over someone who's been fighting it repeatedly. I've run into old LS mates who basically said the same thing to me.

On a similar note...I've gladly given away seals or gear like the 100% accessories from giants to random people who run up and ask me because I don't need them. But often when I ask I get things like "Price?". Greedy people are greedy.
[+]
 Asura.Ludoggy
Server: Asura
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2010-11-21 21:05:30
Link | Quote | Reply

If both parties agree, its great.
If they dont want to, everyone spams their trade macro.
[+]
 Odin.Arnor
user: arnor
By Odin.Arnor 2010-11-21 21:08:32
Link | Quote | Reply

i agree should share pops.. though most people dont see it that way... and if i dont need the seals i agree ill usually shout to see if anyone in zone needs them or ask people in linkshell
 Odin.Blazza
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2010-11-21 21:30:22
Link | Quote | Reply

What makes it even stupider I think, is that with each NM dropping four seals, there's a good chance that both groups have at least one seal they don't want, while the other group might want it. If they hadn't been so rude I'd have discussed that with them and both groups possibly could have ended up better off. But now, I really hope they WERE after whm and sam seals, 'cause they all fell to the ground.
 Leviathan.Kitami
Server: Leviathan
user: Mimikocho
By Leviathan.Kitami 2010-11-21 21:58:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I've had similar instances with Abyssea. On one end of the spectrum you have people who, once they arrive at a pop site and see another group there, will ask how much longer they have, etc. etc. and either wait it out or come back later, depending on the respond. And waaaaaaay on the other end, you have the people who will see a group killing an NM and just gather around the pop, waiting for the ??? to respawn.

Personally, I've yet to camp on top of another group, no matter how slowly they're killing (and sometimes it's very slow). But not everyone believes in that sort of courtesy (trade pops being fair game and whatnot). But yeah, it's nothing short of irritating when people wordlessly disregard your group and you have to spend the remainder of your time spamming trade.
 Bahamut.Aeronis
user: Aeronis
By Bahamut.Aeronis 2010-11-21 22:07:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I've personally have always been in favor of teaming up with others if they need seals your group doesn't need. Certain aspects should apply though in my opinion. If there's 2 people duoing an NM versus 12 people who can take the NM out in under 2 minutes, then the larger group should ask if they can finish their NMs before the duo group.

Albeit if it is something rediculous like 5+ pops, you could team up with the duo group if they agreed, helping them kill their NM swiftly, and passing all seals/items that the duo group requests.
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
Server: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-11-21 22:27:09
Link | Quote | Reply

For me, it really depends on the other group on whether or not I want to share.

For example, we take 5 mins to down Carabosse in our shell. Another group that was there takes 30-40 mins with it kiting it around the lake and all that ***.

That being said, we waited 0 times for them because we're not gonna sit there and wait for them to do Carabosse for 30+ minutes.
[+]
 Sylph.Aleya
user: aleckzia
By Sylph.Aleya 2010-11-21 22:34:02
Link | Quote | Reply

If you can work out an arrangement of course I think that's the best way. Last night some friends and I went to a pop an nm and some JP group showed up. They asked if we wanted to team up and take turns. It went really awesome, especially since they had all the jobs they needed there to trigger grellow.

Couple of pops later though, someone came and popped their own w.o saying anything. I definitely understand no one owns it and everything, but I do like to believe courtesy isn't completely dead.
[+]
 Ifrit.Itazura
Server: Ifrit
user: Itazura
By Ifrit.Itazura 2010-11-22 06:44:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Godofgods said:
i think theyll find atlantis before ppl start being coopertive and nice with each other.
Don't think Atlantis has been found, but:

1. Group already there fighting: I ask how many they have left; if many, we can find something else to do.

2. Group get there around same time as us: I ask if we can take turns.

All in all, seemed to have worked well. At least, here at Ifrit it seems that way most of the time.

Diabolos.Ariane
Server: Diabolos
By Diabolos.Ariane 2010-11-22 07:21:22
Link | Quote | Reply

You'll never get everyone to agree to an accepted policy of dealing with this sorta thing. The best thing you can do is try to be courteous, and discuss things with the other group nicely.

Personally, if I was the group that got there first, and another group showed up, I'd be pissed if they started spamming trade to steal it, but I also wouldn't really want to stand around and trade spawns back and forth, especially since Abyssea has a timer. I might have tons of stones saved up, but I have friends who don't have time to waste.

The best solution would be for both groups to team up and kill the NM together, speeding up kills and respawns for all, and sharing seals that aren't needed or atma acquired. But all it takes is one douchebag in either group to screw that up, so depending on the groups, I can see why some people would not want to risk that either.

I haven't done that much Abyssea so I've only run into this once. Me and a friend were going out to duo an NM and when we got there, a group was just getting ready to pop it. Instead of creating drama, and wasting everyone's time, me and my friend just decided to go and come back another time.
[+]
 Asura.Natenn
user: Naten
By Asura.Natenn 2010-11-22 07:28:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Why cater to ppl outside your own LS? Just dominate the zone while your there, dont let other ppl do stuff over you. If you can pop first/outclaim em go for it.
[+]
By dianara 2010-11-22 07:47:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I agree sharing would be ideal. But not allways...
Some groups have awfully slow methods of killing some NMs...and try to trigger various weaknesses over and over and over until they get them.

In those cases i will do everything to pop all my sets before they do theirs. Its just as inconsiderate in my opinion when groups hold up the queue just because they kill slower than is necessary, and because they wont accept that they cant trigger the weaknesses they are after.

The other day a JP group came and poped amuluk just as my lowman group was going to. They had between 12-18 people and took over 20mins to kill, just because they were trying to trigger grellow for so long. In cases like those no chance i will let them freely pop again until all my groups sets are done when we kill it in 5mins+
 Bahamut.Xslayrx
user: Xslayrx
By Bahamut.Xslayrx 2010-11-22 08:22:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:

For example, we take 5 mins to down Carabosse in our shell. Another group that was there takes 30-40 mins with it kiting it around the lake and all that ***.

That being said, we waited 0 times for them because we're not gonna sit there and wait for them to do Carabosse for 30+ minutes.
^ This. Abyssea time is to limited to always wait for slower groups. Not trying to sound like a *** but usually when I enter abyssea I try not to screw around to much, and if a slow group is after same NM i'd probably try to pop before them. Though usually if that happens i'd just go kill something else until they leave, or come back another day.
[+]
 Cerberus.Valmur
Server: Cerberus
user: Valmur
By Cerberus.Valmur 2010-11-22 08:31:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Only the jps will get angry when trying to share, most english speaking shells will do the right thing and go somewhere else but jps just stand and spam moonspeak lol
[+]
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2010-11-22 08:46:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:

Douchebag strikes again.
Asura.Natenn said:

Why cater to ppl outside your own LS? Just dominate the zone while your there, dont let other ppl do stuff over you. If you can pop first/outclaim em go for it.

You'll get far in life.
No, that was a joke. You really won't. Ever.
[+]
 Cerberus.Najla
Server: Cerberus
user: Najla
By Cerberus.Najla 2010-11-22 08:53:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Natenn said:
^
That's how I feel too.

And for those saying that the game is suppose to be fun and we should all share/hold hands/make out, what about those who find a little friendly (or not so friendly )competition fun?

If you get a drop you don't need can just ask them if they want it & look nice.
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-11-22 09:03:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Elanabelle said:
Sylph.Tigerwoods said:

Douchebag strikes again.
Asura.Natenn said:

You'll get far in life.
No, that was a joke. You really won't. Ever.
Not really. I look at it this way. It takes them 30 mins, minimum. It takes us 5 mins. So, even going by fair share of taking turns, 30 mins of Carabosse vs 30 mins of Carabosse. We just happened to go first. When we 4-5 pops to do at a time, we do them and it totals to about 30 mins after factoring in waiting for repop on ???. Then they can get their turn for 30 mins while we farm more pops lol
[+]
 Lakshmi.Aurilius
Server: Lakshmi
user: Aurilius
By Lakshmi.Aurilius 2010-11-22 09:13:34
Link | Quote | Reply

We always go into a zone with a plan set out. If someone is at NM 1, we go to NM 2 and tell them to let us know when NM 1 is open. If someone is at NM 2, we go to NM 3. We usually have 5 NMs lined up, so there's always something open.
[+]
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2010-11-22 09:33:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:

Not really. I look at it this way. It takes them 30 mins, minimum. It takes us 5 mins. So, even going by fair share of taking turns, 30 mins of Carabosse vs 30 mins of Carabosse. We just happened to go first. When we 4-5 pops to do at a time, we do them and it totals to about 30 mins after factoring in waiting for repop on ???. Then they can get their turn for 30 mins while we farm more pops lol

Give me a break.
This is just more bullcrap, coming from a common source of bullcrap.

The "we're better, we're kill stuff faster, we're more efficient, so move over and get out of our way" attitude is complete garbage. I know a lot of FFXI players operate with this attitude, and some 'tards in these forums will agree with your stance, because it helps them feel less hollow inside if they aren't the only ones acting that way.
That doesn't change the fact that you're a douchebag.
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-11-22 09:45:58
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not move over get out of the way. It's best man wins, so spam your trade macro, and we'll trade ours. They're the ones who are telling us to move over and get out of the way, usually in the form of angry /says telling us to leave and none of us even bother to respond (most of the time).
[+]
 Ragnarok.Harpunnik
Server: Ragnarok
user: Harpunnik
By Ragnarok.Harpunnik 2010-11-22 10:09:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Sounds like abyssea system sucks because anyone can come in and claim the ??? at any time...
[+]
 Asura.Echandra
user: Echandra
By Asura.Echandra 2010-11-22 10:30:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Harpunnik said:
Sounds like abyssea system sucks because anyone can come in and claim the ??? at any time...

Yes, I think it is because of PS2 limitations. But it is a drastic upgrade from fighting over the Tulia "???" mark of the past. On the plus side, if you do get beat, on most of the NM now there's no more waiting 2 hours+ for them to kite Kirin around? Maybe in a future update, SE will enable multiple NM pops from the "???" to let everyone have a more enjoyable gaming experience. Oh wait, we got new job emotes update...and choco racing will probably show up in Abyssea soon.

I'm in favor of asking, but there's always people who feel entitled or even worse...play dumb. If something can be worked out to the benefit of all, sharing extra seals, and letting everyone make the most of their time why would you not do it?? Oh wait, I forgot you need to upgrade your pixels NOWZ or whatever.

Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-11-22 10:30:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Harpunnik said:
It's the same as any ???, it's not new to abyssea.
 Asura.Lecreuset
user: Lecreuset
By Asura.Lecreuset 2010-11-22 10:59:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Elanabelle said:
i'm a carebear

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
It's not move over get out of the way. It's best man wins, so spam your trade macro, and we'll trade ours.

This is the way to do it.
[+]
 Sylph.Liltrouble
By Sylph.Liltrouble 2010-11-22 11:11:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Godofgods said:
i think theyll find atlantis before ppl start being coopertive and nice with each other. At least your trying tho' thats always good
I have to totally agree. I've seen several parties camping the "???" as though it were an hnm itself.
[+]
First Page 2 3