Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Summoner » Mid Level Soloing on SMN
Mid Level Soloing on SMN
 Caitsith.Judaine
Server: Caitsith
Game: FFXI
user: Judaine
By Caitsith.Judaine 2010-11-12 00:39:41
Link | Quote | Reply

So I have my SMN to lv43, and I'm reallllllly interested in taking it all the way to 85. Butttt, I can't get a party, or find any other smn's to duo/trio with.

So I go out and solo, right? But it seems that I fail, hard at soloing or something. I go out to Zi'tah, and start trying to kill DC-EM Ogreflys with Ramuh, using Thunderspark (which does around 200 damage), running away, releasing, Casting Carbuncle until BP Rage is up, repeat. But it takes around 5 minutes to solo a DC mob.

I guess what I'm asking is, am I killing the right things? And is my strategy right? Why do I fail at summoner? D:
 Carbuncle.Shotzie
Server: Carbuncle
user: Shotzie
By Carbuncle.Shotzie 2010-11-12 00:48:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I used this guide to solo my SMN to 60, some things may have changed since then though, I haven't touched the job in well over a year.
Good Luck! ^^
http://killingifrit.com/forums/topic/28803-spiras-summoner-soloing-and-astralburn-encyclopedia/
 Caitsith.Judaine
Server: Caitsith
user: Judaine
By Caitsith.Judaine 2010-11-12 00:54:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Shotzie said:
I used this guide to solo my SMN to 60, some things may have changed since then though, I haven't touched the job in well over a year.
Good Luck! ^^
http://killingifrit.com/forums/topic/28803-spiras-summoner-soloing-and-astralburn-encyclopedia/

Thank you for the link! I found some useful tips on kiting, but no camps for my level :(
 Kujata.Daus
Server: Kujata
user: Daus
By Kujata.Daus 2010-11-12 06:03:10
Link | Quote | Reply

The 40s suck because you're too high for easy camps and too low for bombs. I havent played in a couple months so times have certainly changed..regular soloing wise atleast you have FOV. I believe I was in the altepa deserts soloing things at those lvls. There are worms which are also a smns best friend but they only come out at night. I believe I was killing beetles and spiders near zone lines..I dont remember what lvl specifically I was though..but nowadays Id try and stay around FoV areas until the 50s if you cant find a pt of some sort. The easiest of EP mobs will be your best bet for faster kills so this is when you pop out the exp rings 8|

Sylph.Hitetsu
Server: Sylph
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2010-11-12 06:28:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Personally when I was levelling SMN (I duo'd to 40 or so, then AB'd to 75 while my brother was always asking for a SMN >_>), me and my duo partner would go kill Goblin/Gigas pets. Generally, 2 Thunderspark's and the pets were almost dead, letting Ramuh finish it off with a few melee hits.

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Black_Mage_Solo_Guide
I went through this list (being in a Duo as SMN, we'd go places ~5-6 levels higher than we "should", for example: we were in Beau at 25, Zitah at 30~32, etc).

If at all possible though, try to avoid fighting the Elementals (those still suck because of the "having to melee the last bit of HP to death" part)

As I said though, this is all from a Duo perspective; naturally Solo'ing will be somewhat different. As Daus said, the 40s suck XD
By Jarvikk 2010-11-13 15:38:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Bombs are the most fun to lvl on at that stage. Check Spira's guide to see location of camps....but i think it goes GC>Ifrit's Caul>Ule. Range (Ule Range having a wide range of bombs to lvl on all the way to 80). Just make sure you got the technique down pat!!!!!
 Shiva.Khimaira
Server: Shiva
user: Sindri
By Shiva.Khimaira 2010-11-13 16:06:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Judaine
Heir to the Realm of Dreams

Job: 71SMN/35WHM
Nation: San d'Oria 6
 Bismarck.Magnuss
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2010-11-13 16:14:42
Link | Quote | Reply

You could always take it to Korroloka Tunnel... Just a thought.
 Ramuh.Herrmann
Server: Ramuh
user: Herrmann
By Ramuh.Herrmann 2010-11-13 16:52:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Looks like someone was a key *** in abyssea yesterday...