Leafstorm vs. Maelstrom
First Page 2
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
Server: Caitsith
Game: FFXI
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2010-07-25 16:10:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Was wondering if anyone has done much testing on Leafstorm(I don't have it just yet). Was wondering how it compared to our current aga-like spell, Maelstrom.

From just looking at the stat differences, Leafstorm costs one less point to set and 30 less MP to cast. If it does the same, or more damage than Maelstrom, it could potentially take its place.

I'm also curious about if the damage remains constant depending on the number of targets. Anyone know?
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2010-07-25 16:13:46
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2010-07-25 16:23:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Dracondria said:

You didn't post the damage it did.
[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2010-07-25 16:34:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Google pics didn't show it! Also what the *** at the size of it >_> It was smaller on google lol
 Caitsith.Jar
user: Jar
By Caitsith.Jar 2010-07-25 16:37:57
Link | Quote | Reply

spell sucks not just leaf storm but mealstorm too why would you even lookinto it for dmg it sucks xD
[+]
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2010-07-25 16:43:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Jar said:
spell sucks not just leaf storm but mealstorm too why would you even lookinto it for dmg it sucks xD

For AoE nuking.. why else? It's not like I'd use it over a single target for one enemy, but if I'm hitting multiple things, why wouldn't I use Maelstrom(or possibly now Leafstorm)?

http://zoome.jp/rapakya/diary/81/
 Caitsith.Jar
By Caitsith.Jar 2010-07-25 16:49:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Body slam [do you need it]
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2010-07-25 16:55:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Ask some simple questions and just get trolled. :/

Where's Nightfyre when you need him?
 Caitsith.Katas
user: Katas
By Caitsith.Katas 2010-07-25 17:04:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Was there something you were looking to AoE nuke that is physical resistant that Frypan Battle Dance or Bodyslam couldn't cover. Or just looking to make an AoE nuke set for the hell of it?

Have not seen any tests on any forums or sites yet, think I may attempt to make a build to see for my own curiosity.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Virtuosus
Server: Carbuncle
user: Virtuosus
By Carbuncle.Virtuosus 2010-07-25 17:12:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Whether or not AoE nukes should even be used, isn't what the OP was about. It was just a question as to how the spell is when put next to Maelstrom.

And fyi, AoE nukes do have their uses, such as the one depicted in that MG video.
[+]
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2010-07-25 17:30:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Katas said:
Was there something you were looking to AoE nuke that is physical resistant that Frypan Battle Dance or Bodyslam couldn't cover. Or just looking to make an AoE nuke set for the hell of it?

Have not seen any tests on any forums or sites yet, think I may attempt to make a build to see for my own curiosity.

Well, with the RDM update making things really hard to tank, it's really annoying to kill Mother Globe using the traditional RDMs and BLMs setup. BLMs end up getting hate unless you basically purely DoT kill.

Seeing the video made me think that 2 BLUs could probably knock it out fairly easily and quickly. One BLU tanks MG, casting damage spells when MP permits, the other BLU watches for the slave globes.

Of course, the initial part looks like the most challenging to get right.

If Leafstorm can reach up to 600 damage, it could be a more efficient way of doing it, and could spend that extra set point on something else instead. Then again, it also takes 1 second longer to cast than Maelstrom.
 Hades.Stefanos
Server: Hades
user: Stefanos
By Hades.Stefanos 2010-07-25 17:37:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh wow, who was the moron who gave Viruosus a negative rating? His post was correct.

Another example I can think of where AoE nuking can shine is with mobs that have multiple shadows, like the Shadows of the Mind ISNM.

To answer the OP's question, I think Blazza did some testing and said it wasn't that good. Sorry I couldn't be more help.
[+]
 Caitsith.Katas
user: Katas
By Caitsith.Katas 2010-07-25 17:41:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I am about to go play with puddings for end of one of the trials. Hit you up after to see if you have any results or want to test together.
 Caitsith.Jar
By Caitsith.Jar 2010-07-25 17:41:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Hades.Stefanos said:
Oh wow, who was the moron who gave Viruosus a negative rating? His post was correct.

Another example I can think of where AoE nuking can shine is with mobs that have multiple shadows, like the Shadows of the Mind ISNM.

To answer the OP's question, I think Blazza did some testing and said it wasn't that good. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

FRY PAN GOOOOOOO
 Carbuncle.Virtuosus
Server: Carbuncle
user: Virtuosus
By Carbuncle.Virtuosus 2010-07-25 18:25:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Hades.Stefanos said:

Happens more often than not on here it seems.

Perfect example, the other day I posted a comment on tumbler trunks, stating that they were probably the current best Vorpal Blade legs for BLU, and got rated down for it about 7 times, when in fact I don't know of any legs that would do better. Before them, it was just Enkidu's subligar or dusk trousers.
[+]
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2010-07-26 14:59:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Hmmm, trying this out solo at the moment to see how damage is on the slave globes.

Just tried 300% TP CA > Frypan > Body Slam > Grand Slam. In retrospect, I should have probably saved CA for Body Slam, but anyway I wasn't able to kill them in time. The only thing I could think to do to extend my life would be to throw a Actinic Burst in there somewhere, that may give me long enough to kill them off.

As for Leafstorm, the damage looks about the same as Maelstrom, so I believe that would be a feasible method to kill the slaves as long as the other person pulled them. Doing it solo with Leafstorm seems impossible(unless your Actinic Burst landed really long) since it takes a while to cast.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-07-28 17:39:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I thought people used flying hippress for AOE magical dmg...
 Siren.Delirium
Server: Siren
user: Delirium
By Siren.Delirium 2010-07-28 18:33:06
Link | Quote | Reply

^^^ this
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-07-28 18:39:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Mahayaya said:
Ask some simple questions and just get trolled. :/

Where's Nightfyre when you need him?
Was on vacation =\
Caitsith.Jar said:
Body slam [do you need it]
Slightly more MP efficient, but the whole reason to use -aga spells is generally maximum damage. Body Slam doesn't come close to what Maelstrom can do, so unless you're fighting something like the ACP mandies Maelstrom is more effective. There's also the benefit of not being subject to a pDIF check.
Ramuh.Dasva said:
I thought people used flying hippress for AOE magical dmg...
Arguably easier to hit big numbers with Maelstrom and breath spells also impair your ability to be both flexible and reasonably efficient since you'd have to cure up after swapping gear.

I haven't played around with Leafstorm much, so I'm not sure how it fares against Maelstrom. Depending on just how important dINT is for damage enemy INT might be the deciding factor, but Slave Globe INT shouldn't be all that high so I don't see it failing miserably on dINT alone for MGish situations. I'll play around with it next time I log on.
 Asura.Karbuncle
Server: Asura
user: Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2010-07-28 19:06:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Virtuosus said:
Hades.Stefanos said:

Happens more often than not on here it seems.

Perfect example, the other day I posted a comment on tumbler trunks, stating that they were probably the current best Vorpal Blade legs for BLU, and got rated down for it about 7 times, when in fact I don't know of any legs that would do better. Before them, it was just Enkidu's subligar or dusk trousers.

The rating systems here are mostly worthless thanks to the fact most of the rate downs come from people who probably have a beef with you and there being no way to police it, which is why most sites wise up and remove it because it only promotes negativity.

So don't take those things too much to heart, You can be right and still rated down by people who just hate seeing your name.

[+]
 Ragnarok.Lawsonofabiotch
Server: Ragnarok
user: Lawson
By Ragnarok.Lawsonofabiotch 2010-08-01 23:05:12
Link | Quote | Reply

hey maha, miss all you guys from Caitsith! Started leveling BLU myself now, awesome job. Hope all is well buddy.
 Leviathan.Draylo
Server: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2010-08-01 23:06:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Eh I like the rate system, they are funny sometimes. Just repost your comment and they will give up spamming the -
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-08-01 23:07:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Draylo said:
Eh I like the rate system, they are funny sometimes. Just repost your comment and they will give up spamming the -
Yeah. Like when a guy puts up completely false info that is easy to check it gets uprated. If you put up the right info you get downrated...
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2010-08-01 23:10:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Duoing MG sounds interesting. Dealing with the initial pull would be tough as you said if there isn't a solid spell to use to knock them out fairly quick. I could see one BLU tanking while the other sub rdm and knock the slaves out. Refresh and convert should be good enough to keep it going. One problem might be with the aga spells though, if Head butt doesn't proc on it. I haven't done fight as BLU in forever so I don't remember if it does or not. Guess a -mdt build and maybe saline coat could handle it though.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2010-08-03 06:12:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Really wouldn't be too much dmg, maybe around 700~ish w/o -mdt gear on. Can heal that back in two M fruits from yourself and other BLU.
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2010-08-03 11:25:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Doesn't head butt land on MG? As for the initial pull, if you're using maelstrom, you'll need someone else to pull and hold them in position for you like in the video so that your cast can go off. So either way you're looking at duoing at least the pull. If that's the case, then two blu with a staggered frypan/body slam/actinic burst combo should be able to take them all down very easily. If you're trying to solo the pull, then I think you'd still be better off with frypan > body slam > actinic burst > battle dance or something like that. Perhaps you could even try blast bomb > run > repeat?

I know from my past experiences in sky I can one shot the slaves that pop one at a time with disseverement, or can kill them 9 times out of 10 with hysteric barrage > head butt, but even spamming MP Drainkiss and Magic Hammer on MG, your MP is going to be stretched pretty thin I think, and that's before you look at curing yourself and damaging MG.

I dunno, I've never thought about it so I'm just going by what I know of it from killing it with a whole alliance.

Edit: Either way, I can't really ever see myself using Maelstrom or Leafstorm. As far as I'm concerned the OP's questions is like asking what's better, dog ***or cat ***.
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2010-08-03 20:04:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Ya thats what I meant, duoing it. One person pulls with -pdt build and cocoon and the other hands all the slaves. Frypan does seem like a good idea, and possibly something else, Maelstrom is a lot of MP. I dunno if you can stun MG with head butt, I might actually try this later today.
 Remora.Brain
Server: Remora
user: Arucaurd
By Remora.Brain 2010-08-30 14:57:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry for the necro bump. Been away from the game for a while now and not looking forward to having to level 80-85. Looking to see what's changed, and see something I got firsthand knowledge on.

As for the MG things:

Maelstrom.

Don't bother with physical AoEs unless you want to die and look *** HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE. A good Maelstrom will one shot all of them.

In the advent of Battery Charge and Animating Wail, BLU duoing MG should be very easy. Headbutt sticks to MG easily, and can last a while. With 2 headbutts she should never get a single ga spell off.

With Battery Charge, Magic Hammer, and MP drainkiss, auto-refresh, and at least relic body, MP should never be a problem.

One BLU Headbutt locks and tanks, the other Disseverments, covers enfeebles, and emergency stuns.

Very easy fight.

Hardest part is the pull, need a good damage mitigation set and good timing on BA Maelstrom.
First Page 2