New magin weapons for BLU
 Shiva.Superdan
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: SuperDan
By Shiva.Superdan 2010-07-09 17:55:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Well as I'm sure you know, savage blade is a shitty ws and does a pretty low % of your total ws. However, 50 base damage is *** tidy. It's the highest base damage sword a LOT of people are ever likely to get (well, at this stage of the game anyway) because it really is quite easy to get. It also doesn't take that long to get in comparison to the other trials, and is a realistic target for anyone, as opposed to Almace, Badelaire, and two versions of Khanda.

The 10% savage blade damage bonus is really just that, a bonus, for blu, as it's perhaps an extra 40-50 damage every 2 minutes or more. But with high DMG and good delay, it's certainly a worth-while main-hand sword, even if you only keep it until you get something better. But the thing is, there actually isn't a great deal better (in terms of DMG, but blu isn't all about the damage remember) at all, and certainly nothing that can be obtained as quickly and easily.

Edit: man, I got beaten like 5 times.

Yeah I never would of considered it for the +WS dmg alone, it's because of it being easily obtained and 50DMG is nice, I just wondered if the +ws dmg would be enough to tip the scale on the STR sword or w/e for mainhand. But it's alwready been answered, smashing my way through leeches again in pashh{s} ~.~ Joy
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [31 days between previous and next post]
 Valefor.Arekkesu
Server: Valefor
user: arekkusu
By Valefor.Arekkesu 2010-08-09 08:05:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I guess this is going to be a bit of a BUMP!

First time poster, long time reader wanting some advice please.

I just finished my Shamshir (STR+6/ATT+16) last night and I have to say it was great to have so many people teaming up to make it quicker.

I'm thinking about doing another Shamshir as the VNM/WoE route is not readily available to me. I'm minded to do another STR/ATT sword as I'm quite happy with my ACC for the most part, although a DEX/ACC sword will inevitably help applicable spell accuracy/damage. I really don't want to do more than 2 ToM swords bearing in mind potential future commitments for the weapons.

I have seen quite a few BLUs with the MP+45/MACC+12 option - what do people think to that? Seems like an easier route.
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-08-09 08:24:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I think alot of blus do the macc cause they are HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE and don't know much about blu... then a small portion do it cause it should help with trying to headbutt lock.

I recently finished 2-3 swd which has done awesome things to my tp gain. I'll probably end up doing a dex/acc and/or str/att one soon to replace my koggles. Well and maybe -magic def to pump up sanguine blade
By Afania 2010-08-09 09:04:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
I think alot of blus do the macc cause they are HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE and don't know much about blu... then a small portion do it cause it should help with trying to headbutt lock.

Not really, headbutt lock is one of the greatest strength of BLU, especially when fighting higher lv NMs, stun effect (and other various debuffs) gets resist very often, and macc sword helps a lot. And yeah, sometimes those additional effect and debuffs will make a huge difference between life and death, and depending on situation, it's more beneficial than some extra dmg output.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-08-09 09:05:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I never said that headbutt lock isn't good anywhere...

Mind you throwing blitzstrahl (which if it wasn't for the almost 30 sec recast and the longer cast time would beat the ***out of headbutt) in there helps alot and I rarely get resist anyways on headbutt stuns
 Shiva.Superdan
By Shiva.Superdan 2010-08-09 09:19:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I hate these damn trials.. So much time.. I'm still working my way through the damn flan kills for STR sword.. Nobody seems to team up for them whenever I try lol, I think my second sword will be a dex/acc sword. I don't have the shizzle for the VNM stuff, so I think a STR/DEX/Atk/Acc combo is a nice combination for anyone not wanting to do more than one sword.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not saying it's the BEST damage output, but it is viable in most circumstances. Going STR/STR may put most fire power on spells, but you never know what new mobs are coming around the corner in next updates and the accuracy may come in handy^^
By Afania 2010-08-09 10:41:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Superdan said:
I hate these damn trials.. So much time.. I'm still working my way through the damn flan kills for STR sword.. Nobody seems to team up for them whenever I try lol, I think my second sword will be a dex/acc sword. I don't have the shizzle for the VNM stuff, so I think a STR/DEX/Atk/Acc combo is a nice combination for anyone not wanting to do more than one sword.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not saying it's the BEST damage output, but it is viable in most circumstances. Going STR/STR may put most fire power on spells, but you never know what new mobs are coming around the corner in next updates and the accuracy may come in handy^^

Unless you can cap your acc on your casting set, I'd say acc sword will increase your average spell dmg, probably more than STR sword. It depends on your gears on other slots, but I personally like STR/DEX combo more than STR/STR combo.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-08-09 11:34:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd be more interested in the DEX sword if I didn't cap spell hitrate with 2x STR, a full mod setup, and sushi/pizza on most targets. I'm still building one, but it's low priority.
 Shiva.Superdan
By Shiva.Superdan 2010-08-13 09:57:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
I'd be more interested in the DEX sword if I didn't cap spell hitrate with 2x STR, a full mod setup, and sushi/pizza on most targets. I'm still building one, but it's low priority.

Problem is, with the new mobs I have no idea what the hell is the current acc I should be aiming for. A lot of the mobs in abyssea seem to have pretty decent evasion.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-08-13 16:01:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Only mobs I can think of off the top of my head that I've struggled to hit with my current setup are Tonberries (THF mobs, no surprise) and those *** Crapaudy. Normal EXP, meleeable NMs, I've been fine.
 Shiva.Superdan
By Shiva.Superdan 2010-08-13 21:26:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Maybe the problem I had then is that the only abyssea pt's I've had on blu were all vs toads >_>
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-08-13 23:17:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah so far my accuracy in abyssea on blu has been fine though I haven't found said evasive mobs. That's even without sushi
 Caitsith.Damiyen
Server: Caitsith
user: Damiyen
By Caitsith.Damiyen 2010-08-14 00:23:39
Link | Quote | Reply

has anyone actually made Additional Effect: Lowers Defense
sword yet? Any testing been done? The only thing ive seen on any forum post is that it is Special Defense Down and is -15%Defense. Nothing on proc rate, or duration. Also considering Angon is 20%, i have a hard time believing this sword is -15% but I could be wrong
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-08-14 01:17:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Polearm's confirmed to be 15%, don't see why the sword wouldn't be if it has the same text.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-08-14 09:21:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Damiyen said:
has anyone actually made Additional Effect: Lowers Defense sword yet? Any testing been done? The only thing ive seen on any forum post is that it is Special Defense Down and is -15%Defense. Nothing on proc rate, or duration. Also considering Angon is 20%, i have a hard time believing this sword is -15% but I could be wrong
I beleive the 10%ers were around 33% proc rate on most non Nm mobs.

Part of the reason this is ok is because on NMs proc rate wont be as good and you can't plan it for a zerg like you can angon when the def down would be most important
 Ramuh.Zangada
user: zangada
By Ramuh.Zangada 2010-08-14 09:53:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Yea i went for the acc sword mainly for blu,i have rdm and pld so it isnt useless for them. According to wiki acc caps at 90% which is like +180 acc (1acc=.5%) so u cant go wrong with it. Plus with more trial to come it will be getting even better.
 Leviathan.Draylo
Server: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2010-08-14 10:01:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm in the process of building a -def sword myself (then acc sword after) due to future use. I can see further trials increasing the -15% to 20%+ which is beastly....
 Carbuncle.Shokox
Server: Carbuncle
user: Shokox
By Carbuncle.Shokox 2010-08-14 12:27:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I have the DEF%- Sword and can confirm it's -15%. The Proc rate is about 10~20% depending and the duration is around 15~45 seconds depending on level correction.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-08-14 14:40:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Zangada said:
Yea i went for the acc sword mainly for blu,i have rdm and pld so it isnt useless for them. According to wiki acc caps at 90% which is like +180 acc (1acc=.5%) so u cant go wrong with it. Plus with more trial to come it will be getting even better.
That's not quite how acc works.

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Hit_Rate

Start with a base hitrate of 75%. If your acc is greater than the monster's eva, adjust upwards by 0.5% for every point of acc. If your acc is lower, adjust downwards by the same amount. Now subtract 2% hitrate for every level between you and the monster if they're above your level. Hitrate cap is 95% and the floor is ~20%.