Link | Quote | Reply

Intend to replace with what
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-06-26 14:54:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Given that it's my offhand weapon at present, the max damage OAT weapon or a suitable replacement should I be unable to obtain it/find it inferior to another option. I've got some math incoming on that when I can get a minute.

Basically, the build's I'm eyeing at the moment are, in no particular order:

STR/STR
DA/STR
STR/DEX
STR/OAT
DEX/OAT

and potentially a build involving Tyrfing once we have more data on it. Like I said, math incoming. I can safely say any of these combinations beats a Koggel setup now though.
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-06-26 14:56:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Speaking of more data on it... has it even been found?
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-06-26 15:05:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't think so.
 Caitsith.Katas
Server: Caitsith
user: Katas
By Caitsith.Katas 2010-06-26 15:11:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I am sure one of the setups does beat Kog/Str Soulsaber.. However OAT is waste in my mind till I see the end product and even then due to the fact I do endgame and feeding TP to HNM's is a poor option.

STR/DEX wouldnt be bad if we benefited from more STR but kog/str = 10str/4dex vs 6str/6dex if I needed the acc ill eat sushi. Granted a higher Damage sword, but again most of the time I do not much unless for trials or blu burns.

DA swords do look nice but wait to see end product before starting. Along with the possible EMP weapon being big *** down the road. I can see the Tyrfing being the ***as we both agree pending the "added affect."
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-06-26 15:16:01
Link | Quote | Reply

There is alot more to endgame than HNM. And I forget the exact amount but more than a few melees with normal weapons and more wont matter since it will pretty much always have tp.

Not to mention if tp feed is your issue you probably shouldn't be using any of the dex modded spells as all of them are multihit and are giving 10 tp per hit.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-06-26 15:17:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Katas said:
I am sure one of the setups does beat Kog/Str Soulsaber.. However OAT is waste in my mind till I see the end product
Khanda (D42 delay 264 OAT)
Quote:
and even then due to the fact I do endgame and feeding TP to HNM's is a poor option.
Then don't melee. While we're on this topic, Koggel is a poor choice in this situation as well because it's an inefficient source of damage. For that matter, multihits in general would be inefficient and thus STR/STR or Vulcan's/Brave takes over.

This assumes the mob doesn't already have an essentially infinite supply of TP though via a sufficient number of engaged DDs.
Quote:
STR/DEX wouldnt be bad if we benefited from more STR but kog/str = 10str/4dex vs 6str/6dex if I needed the acc ill eat sushi. Granted a higher Damage sword, but again most of the time I do not much unless for trials or blu burns.
You're disregarding the situational nature of a STR/DEX combination. If you're going to eat sushi instead, go STR/STR.
Quote:
DA swords do look nice but wait to see end product before starting.
They're easy enough to check at the moogle; I've already done so.
Quote:
Along with the possible EMP weapon being big *** down the road.
But not currently.
Quote:
I can see the Tyrfing being the ***as we both agree pending the "added affect."
Agreed.
 Leviathan.Draylo
Server: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2010-06-26 15:20:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I hate magian quests...
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-06-26 15:31:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Draylo said:
I hate magian quests...
I think this is something everyone can agree on. Almost got 2 lvl 80 staffs done though. Though I can't wear them lol
 Caitsith.Katas
By Caitsith.Katas 2010-06-26 15:35:49
Link | Quote | Reply

1.HNM = Hyper Notorious Monster . . . Hate to say it but those are in all events END GAME.

2. I dont take interest in the OAT personally.

3. DA swords look nice but atm I will wait to see the final product, not just what is out currently.

4. Depends on which HNM, however the statement of STR/STR sword is and upgrade and will be done eventually just atm I am sporting the Kog/Str.

Only made a post cause nothing was ZOMG crazy atm unless you love melee instead of spell casting side of blu.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-06-26 15:40:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Katas said:
1.HNM = Hyper Notorious Monster . . . Hate to say it but those are in all events END GAME.
If you want to take that loose of a meaning as that then fine.

Alot of endgame HNMs have lol tp moves that you don't care about. And either way as previous said by both of us if it matters you shouldn't be meleeing AND you shouldn't be casting your dex spells

And apparently I am a HNM soloer.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-06-26 15:46:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Katas said:
There's more to endgame than HNM. Repeating this ad nauseam adds no weight to your assessment, nor does it invalidate the points I made previously. If BLU can melee it, TP feed obviously isn't that much of an issue and odds are you've more than enough DDs engaged for it to use TP freely.
Quote:
2. I dont take interest in the OAT personally.
You've yet to express any real reason for this beyond "I don't feel like it." It's a situational weapon, just like the rest of our arsenal. Waiting to see the end result doesn't change the fact that it's good now.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-06-26 15:52:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Personally I want the 2-3 hit one for /dnc campaign!!!

Seriously though I really do and not like my blu gets much other use anymore nor do I do VNMs anymore
 Caitsith.Katas
By Caitsith.Katas 2010-06-26 15:58:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Seeing as you two love to argue, you win, I dont do lameness, GL.
 Remora.Brain
Server: Remora
user: Arucaurd
By Remora.Brain 2010-06-26 16:25:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Lol, so you're playing the "I'm the bigger man" card while running off with your tail between your legs?

HNM is not endgame. It was a part of endgame.

Dynamis, Limbus, Einherjar, Abyssea, Some MMM, VNM, ZNM, SCNM, Sky, Sea, and several Battlefields are all Endgame.

No one actually knows what the H in HNM actually meant.

The OAT sword is pretty much the best offhand sword for Dynamis, Limbus(barring proto fights), Einherjar, Abyssea farming, MMM, VNMs you engage, ZNMs tiers 1-3, SCNMs you engage, Sky farming, Sea farming, and some battlefields.

There shouldn't be a Melee side or a spell side of BLU, there's just BLU. Whatever improves your overall damage most in a given situation is what you improve. You don't only focus on improving your spell damage because you're a Casting BLU or improve only melee because you're a Melee BLU, or you're doing it wrong.

Also, yes, I'm now fairly convinced that the art of gearing for melee is some lost *** art that some people must train under pacifistic monks, who just happen to know how to literally rip a man's nuts off before he can blink, in a mountain temple to grasp. At least that's the way it seems after seeing all the BLU mages out there and over half the people on any ffxi forum.
 Carbuncle.Virtuosus
Server: Carbuncle
user: Virtuosus
By Carbuncle.Virtuosus 2010-06-26 16:32:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Katas said:
Seeing as you two love to argue, you win, I dont do lameness, GL.

Debate is a healthy part of everyday life. You stated your opinion on the matter, and somebody rivaled it with theirs, it's always going to happen.

On topic, since wiki isn't updated on Shamshirs and whatnot and I'm nowhere near magian moogle/lazy, what trials for the STR+6/Attack+16 Shamshir are there, coming after the STR+4/Attack+12 Soulsaber?
 Midgardsormr.Seaofheather
Server: Midgardsormr
By Midgardsormr.Seaofheather 2010-06-26 16:35:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Personally depending on how hard it is to get, I'm gonna main hand a Shamshir and when I use /nin or /dnc I'll use Tyrfing
 Carbuncle.Virtuosus
Server: Carbuncle
user: Virtuosus
By Carbuncle.Virtuosus 2010-06-26 19:28:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Midgardsormr.Seaofheather said:
Personally depending on how hard it is to get, I'm gonna main hand a Shamshir and when I use /nin or /dnc I'll use Tyrfing

Trial 164: Leeches x50
Weather: Any

Trial 165: Sea Monks x50
Weather: Fire, Wind, Lightning, Light

Trial 166: Any monster x50
Day/Weather: Fire

Trial 167: Aquans x75

Trial 168: Beasts x100

Trial 169: Flans x200

Trial 1208: Vermin x200

Trial 1209: Manticore x250

Shamshir DMG: 48 Delay: 230
STR+6 Attack+16

Personally, I just finished the first two trials in like 3 hours time, going to continue later I'm helping a friend do 164 again as well as starting a second for myself.
 Shiva.Superdan
Server: Shiva
user: SuperDan
By Shiva.Superdan 2010-07-09 10:36:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Didn't wanna make a new topic, so bumping this one up a bit. Just wondering what you guys think about this sword on main hand: http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Trial_1244

DMG50 Savage blade dmg+10%

Main reason I'm looking into it, is because it's very easy to obtain. I don't have the time/resources to go do T3-4 VNM hunting, so some of the sword's are simply out of reach.

I understand the 48DMG +6STR sword is probably better on most spells, however 50base DMG does seem nice. What I'm wondering is if the Savage Blade dmg would be worth looking into as I usually stick with solo distortion on SC (If i'm in a /nin situation anyways).

Thoughts?

(I am currently working on a STR sword too for offhand, as I don't particularily have a good offhand sword such as kogg)
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-07-09 10:47:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd stick with STRx2 instead if acc is capped and neither the DA nor OAT Khanda is open to you to pair with a Shamshir. WS damage is by far the least aspect of our damage and a second STR sword will impact every portion of your DPS.

As for the base damage, 6 STR = 1.5 fSTR, which affects both hands. Even if this only ends up being 1 base damage per hand, you've already matched the gain in base damage from the SB+10% sword. Shamshirs are also slightly faster.
 Quetzalcoatl.Wulfy
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Wulfy 2010-07-09 10:49:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Tye new STR/DEX sword combo outparces Perdu/Koggel which was the best sword combo for BLU.

However if Tyrfing does what I think it does then your off hand can be like anything you think your BLU needs.

I have a theory that when your mp depletes the additional damage increases on Tyrfing which would be amazing.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-07-09 10:51:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd probably do the same except still use my koggles for one of them.

Though I'm still interested in Tyrfing. Just need more info on it. Like actually obtaining one
 Shiva.Superdan
By Shiva.Superdan 2010-07-09 11:03:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Okay thanks. I was going to go for the STR/DEX combo swords to begin with, until a friend started telling me about these new trials. & yeah the high dmg OAT sword is out of reach atm. I've been looking to see if theres any decent GMT VNM shells going, but no luck.

I 'might' be able to get myself the DA sword if that's a better offhand choice though, as the one VNM shell I know (Which is EST..) have said I can tag along if I only need kills, not the items, but are not recruiting more members atm with how many people are trying to upgrade.

I guess I'll stick to working on STR / DEX swords for the moment though ^^
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-07-09 11:07:39
Link | Quote | Reply

DA trial kills involve Abyssea NMs I believe, and yeah, DA/STR ends up narrowly beating STR/OAT for the most part.
 Shiva.Superdan
By Shiva.Superdan 2010-07-09 11:16:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh abyssea NMs would be even easier to do (Well, easier to attend). I'll have to luck into it. I haven't killed any of the big Abyssea NM's yet, only the weak ones near mob camps.
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2010-07-09 11:18:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Well as I'm sure you know, savage blade is a shitty ws and does a pretty low % of your total ws. However, 50 base damage is *** tidy. It's the highest base damage sword a LOT of people are ever likely to get (well, at this stage of the game anyway) because it really is quite easy to get. It also doesn't take that long to get in comparison to the other trials, and is a realistic target for anyone, as opposed to Almace, Badelaire, and two versions of Khanda.

The 10% savage blade damage bonus is really just that, a bonus, for blu, as it's perhaps an extra 40-50 damage every 2 minutes or more. But with high DMG and good delay, it's certainly a worth-while main-hand sword, even if you only keep it until you get something better. But the thing is, there actually isn't a great deal better (in terms of DMG, but blu isn't all about the damage remember) at all, and certainly nothing that can be obtained as quickly and easily.

Edit: man, I got beaten like 5 times.
 Caitsith.Neonracer
user: Neonracer
By Caitsith.Neonracer 2010-07-09 12:01:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Unicorn.Ninetales said:
Unicorn.Soothsayer said:
what is OAT.... ? :/
Occasionally announces tea-time.
just b.c someone asked what OAT was, you go and play with the persons mind?? thanks for the post afterwards...

><
 Caitsith.Neonracer
user: Neonracer
By Caitsith.Neonracer 2010-07-09 12:38:32
Link | Quote | Reply

OMFG.. they ARE really stickin it to us.. I'm lookin at the trials as we speak...

Holyyyyyyy
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-07-09 12:38:33
Link | Quote | Reply

God forbid there be humor on the internet.
 Phoenix.Zeotah
Server: Phoenix
user: Zeota
By Phoenix.Zeotah 2010-07-09 17:45:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Draylo said:
I hate magian quests...
I'll have to agree there. Though I have known people who have garnered a boatload of merits just by magian trials alone. Doesn't make them less irritating however. Though for a job like BLU which isn't exactly sought after in exp parties, it could work to one's advantage. Which reminds me, I'm (over)due for a cutlery upgrade for my BLU (I've been using beast slayer/kog for several months and before that it was beast/ifrit's). FML. ><