Abyssea
First Page 2 3 ... 13 14 15 ... 36 37 38
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
Server: Caitsith
Game: FFXI
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2010-07-02 17:20:32
Link | Quote | Reply

This may have already been answered, but is Signet/Sigil active in these zones? I'd guess it would be Sigil if anything.
 Ragnarok.Doluka
Server: Ragnarok
user: Doluka
By Ragnarok.Doluka 2010-07-02 17:25:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't think anything like that applies in Abyssea.

Logically, it wouldn't be...
*Signet because it's not part of present day Vana d'iel and thus the 3 nations have no knowledge of it's existance.
*Sigil because according to the intro cutscene it's in another dimension, not the past.

SE may add something like this or visitant status could be Abyssea's version of Signet/Sigil.
 Ramuh.Krizz
Server: Ramuh
user: Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-07-02 17:28:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Someone told me 'the TP part does' when I told them signet didn't work in zone (they used a signet staff). BG had already confirmed that TP was lost when healing so not sure what they were talking about.
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-07-02 17:35:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Powerslave said:
Anyone have any testimonials on killing the thew bomblet nm? I've read that it can be easily taken down by a party of 6 or less, but haven't seen anything too specific.
Don't erase the first hp down status effect. It gets worse the longer you go. The HP boost from the NPC at the entrance will counteract the effect enough to put your tank at their normal HP.
 Diabolos.Gira
Server: Diabolos
user: Cameryn
By Diabolos.Gira 2010-07-03 00:21:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone have any testimonials on killing the thew bomblet nm? I've read that it can be easily taken down by a party of 6 or less, but haven't seen anything too specific.

He's a ridiculously easy fight to take down with a balanced party with a good tank. Basically, you pop him and run north east a bit. There's bit of a ledge/cliff and have the casters stand on that and they'll be close enough to nuke/cure/whatever and not get hit by his debuff explosion.

Nukes do okay, my SCH did about 600 a nuke in -enmity gear. He TP drains so fast WS's are useless (only a SAM would ever get a WS off and only with meditate). Honestly I'd only bring good DoT types. MNK is great, DNC can get enough TP to throw up a haste/aspir samba before amnesia/tp down hits. Have BLM go /nin or keep up blink and stone skin to drop down if they pull hate. DO NOT chase it up the cliff to the healer(s), keep it away from him/her and you're good. Towards the end he spams HP/mp down and it gets worse as his hp goes down. I'd say get a WHM RDM or SCH and a BRD or COR subbing whm [yes I bitched in another thread about COR/whm being a waste but I DID SAY low-man it helps and damnit, low man it's amazing here] have the cor or brd on erase duty after 50% hp (basically just spam it cuz he'll hp down as soon as it wears) and keep the PLD refreshed enough to cure along with the healer to keep him alive with hate. The other 2-3 members just gatta do DoT. Again, DNC using haste or aspir samba is good DoT, MNK is good DoT, WAR or DRG with angon or tomahawk good to help drag down. THF for TH + acid bolts is a must in my opinion.

We did 4 pops with 9, only 1 death in the batch and it was the PLD and we still recovered (for some reason no one erased or cured him).

Use the ledge and you'll win.

That's about as concise a testimonial as I can give!

Edit: oh yeah... BRING ECHOES DROPS AND ANTIDOTES!!! His debuff move is called Marlboro I think (great name right?) comes with plague silence paralyze amnesia and poison... maybe slow too? and possibly blind. Antidotes/echoes are a must if you're low-manning it with 6 or less just in case. (always that one person 1 tick away from dying of poison while the 1 healer has to keep the tank alive, you know?)
 Bahamut.Raenryong
Server: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-07-03 00:23:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for the info! How strong is the mandy and if it is spamming TP moves as you describe, does this mean there is a long pause between its melee attacks? How long a fight are we talking?
 Diabolos.Gira
By Diabolos.Gira 2010-07-03 00:27:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Raenryong said:
Thanks for the info! How strong is the mandy and if it is spamming TP moves as you describe, does this mean there is a long pause between its melee attacks? How long a fight are we talking?

He was hitting my SCH really fast and for like 90-110 damage while I was dragging him to the spot after popping, but I think it was just him attacking twice per round with double attack proc'ing because there was a good pause after the first 3 hits. It didn't seem to be very troublesome though it was pretty slow and must have had bad accuracy and/or slow, the PLD/nin rarely actually took damage to the point where I said "*** it" and just went into Dark Arts and nuked while throwing a stray cure III once in a while until he hit 50% and spammed hp down.

To a PLD with good gear, protect, phalanx, etc. he doesn't appear to do much dmg when it breaks shadows. It was honestly easy keeping him up even when his max hp dropped to about 360~ with the hp down on him.

Edit: Fight duration depends on your numbers and damage output I guess... it took us about 8 minutes to kill it I think? TP being rendered useless really hurt killing speed and most of the people there were 75-76. I'd say a well made party of 6 80's could do it in 6-8 minutes. We were about 9 people and I think our only 80's were DNC RDM RNG.
Ramuh.Krizz said:
Don't erase the first hp down status effect. It gets worse the longer you go. The HP boost from the NPC at the entrance will counteract the effect enough to put your tank at their normal HP.

I'll try this out next time (we're going back tomorrow [today] because we have pops to burn). I'd say the hp boost is a waste of cruor though, our PLD rarely took any damage and not enough to even two-shot him at his lowest HP (max of 360~) so if you're right about the first hp down staying on and not getting overwritten then it should all be good.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-07-03 00:40:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Interesting, thanks for the information. If necessary, it sounds like 2 RDM/NINs or such could kill it, provided it's not incredibly strong. Would be slow but I'm trying to get workable lowman strategies going~ cheers for the info again!
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2010-07-03 00:40:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Sounds like a job for blu/thf. Keep the first HP down affect on like Krizz mentioned also sounds like a good idea, and have the blu/thf TA Disseverement the pld once a minute, then swap around for a SA Vertical Cleave. Probably want to add a thf there to accomplice the blu and put it onto the pld too <_<
 Ramuh.Dasva
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-07-03 00:45:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Those nukes seemed a little low. At start of fight blizz 3 by my rdm was doing 600s. Later on both times it would do a bit less like mid 500s. Not like I got to nuke much with all the status effect spamming lol.

Hp down wasn't too bad. Or mediocre 75 pld didn't take that much dmg so it wasn't like omg only 300 hp he is gunna die right now
 Diabolos.Gira
By Diabolos.Gira 2010-07-03 00:47:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Raenryong said:
Interesting, thanks for the information. If necessary, it sounds like 2 RDM/NINs or such could kill it, provided it's not incredibly strong. Would be slow but I'm trying to get workable lowman strategies going~ cheers for the info again!

I really wouldn't suggest duoing it with the kiting... Maybe RDM and PUP?... I'm sure skilled players can pull it off but when it's got a move that will paralyze/silence/plauge/poison/amnesia all in one go, one slip up can mean a wipe. At one point our BLM messed up and I got hit with this stuff and I had to burn through 4 echo drops before I could get silence off... But even so you run the risk of timing out of Abyssea or wasting a bunch of stones; I would really suggest a party.
Odin.Blazza said:
Sounds like a job for blu/thf. Keep the first HP down affect on like Krizz mentioned also sounds like a good idea, and have the blu/thf TA Disseverement the pld once a minute, then swap around for a SA Vertical Cleave. Probably want to add a thf there to accomplice the blu and put it onto the pld too <_<

We had a BLU, don't remember if he went /thf... Again it spams amnesia and paralyze and silence all in one move after 50% hp so you'd have to fight thru the debuffs to get off a good TA'd spell
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Those nukes seemed a little low. At start of fight blizz 3 by my rdm was doing 600s. Later on both times it would do a bit less like mid 500s. Not like I got to nuke much with all the status effect spamming lol.

Hp down wasn't too bad. Or mediocre 75 pld didn't take that much dmg so it wasn't like omg only 300 hp he is gunna die right now

I was nuking in -enmity to ensure no hate-pull. Hydra Beret, errant cape, staff grip, AF feet, goliard pants, AF2 hands, etc. I'm sure if I wanted to I could have nuked it for 900+ like I was doing on the normal mobs (I was in nuke gear then).
 Bahamut.Bojack
user: Bojack316
By Bahamut.Bojack 2010-07-03 00:55:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Just killed a Hippogryph NM with 12 people in Abyssea Konschtat at H-6. Killed twice, 1 Mesmeric cape drop. Nin or /nin tank I would say is HIGHLY recommended due to Back Heel spam, Hoof Valley spam came at a bit lower. One shotted a THF for over 4k dmg. Over all not that difficult (with blink tanking). I was rdm, Blind/Para/Slow seemed to all stick fine. Dunno is this NM was posted.
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2010-07-03 00:57:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh right, I overlooked the amnesia bit. Still, with paralyna/silena it would still make a good DD for this mob. Hell, if it doesn't hit that hard a properly geared blu could tank it instead of the pld.
 Diabolos.Gira
By Diabolos.Gira 2010-07-03 00:58:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Smileybone said:
Diabolos.Gira said:
Anyone know if there are any player level or skill level requirements to fish in la Theine?

I have fishing skilled a bit on a lower level character (level 30 mule) and was hoping to burn her traverser stones on some cruor grinding by quest or fishing if possible...

You have to be level 30 to enter Abyssea but I was fishing up rusty items and my fishing is only lvl 2.

Thanks! This may sound dumb but I'm really not a fisher, I did it for moat carp to get some spare gil back in the day; I think my mule has less than 20 skill... so... is there a rod that particularly works better on getting rusty items? Or rather... a rod that sucks so bad at catching fish you only get rusty items? And is a lure better or is bait? All I remember is using a compound rod and insect paste to catch carp... that's it XD!

Also, if you recall, about how frequently did you get rusty items and how much cruor would you say you can/did get in an hour's worth?
 Diabolos.Gira
By Diabolos.Gira 2010-07-03 01:01:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Blazza said:
Oh right, I overlooked the amnesia bit. Still, with paralyna/silena it would still make a good DD for this mob. Hell, if it doesn't hit that hard a properly geared blu could tank it instead of the pld.

Eh... yes on awesome DMG... as for tanking... if there's a SCH or a RDM (who still has a lolmerit in Phalanx II) I'll agree with that. If what Krizz suggested about the first HP down staying the whole fight is true, then definitely. If your max HP drops to 300 or less on BLU and no phalanx up you might run into some trouble. Genbu's Shield ftw? XD
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-07-03 01:03:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Meh how'd blu stuns particularly blitzstrahl and headbutt land on it?
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-07-03 01:05:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Diabolos.Gira said:
Odin.Blazza said:
Eh... yes on awesome DMG... as for tanking... if there's a SCH or a RDM (who still has a lolmerit in Phalanx II) I'll agree with that. If what Krizz suggested about the first HP down staying the whole fight is true, then definitely. If your max HP drops to 300 or less on BLU and no phalanx up you might run into some trouble. Genbu's Shield ftw? XD
Or rdm/sch for phalanx. And rdm/blu for tanking if you have someway of planting hate on it. Like I said our mediocre 75 pld/nin barely took dmg most the time. And my phalanx isn't near capped and he didn't eat def food and dia was on instead of bio etc.
 Diabolos.Gira
By Diabolos.Gira 2010-07-03 01:05:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:

The DNC and BLU were able to stun it extremely easily with violent flourish and head butt. But I mean it SPAMS its moves. My erase timer was sometime still on cool down while he did max hp down again. But I didn't know about this trick of letting the first HP down stick though, that will make the fight even easier than before.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-07-03 01:07:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Diabolos.Gira said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
The DNC and BLU were able to stun it extremely easily with violent flourish and head butt. But I mean it SPAMS its moves. My erase timer was sometime still on cool down by the time he did max hp down again. But I didn't know about this trick of letting the first HP down stick though, that will make the fight even easier than before.
Depends on how much tp you feed it. Once our sam and thf died it stopped spamming. Not to mention blitzstrahl last quite a few seconds. We didn't have a blu with us though. Lowing might be nice too
 Diabolos.Gira
By Diabolos.Gira 2010-07-03 01:10:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
Diabolos.Gira said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
The DNC and BLU were able to stun it extremely easily with violent flourish and head butt. But I mean it SPAMS its moves. My erase timer was sometime still on cool down by the time he did max hp down again. But I didn't know about this trick of letting the first HP down stick though, that will make the fight even easier than before.
Depends on how much tp you feed it. Once our sam and thf died it stopped spamming. Not to mention blitzstrahl last quite a few seconds.

Well most of the DD had subtle blow. We went in before any good testimonials were up so we didn't particularly spec as well as we could have. Subtle blow/monk's roll/penance will help... sadly since WS's are a dead ambition with amnesia and TP drain the only way to really kill it is by DoT which can feed TP if not regulated. We know what we're in for now and round two should go smoother.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-07-03 01:14:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Nukes did good dmg. So did enspells.

For some reason QD totally failed. Like 40-100 dmg each. And Atonement did like 1/2 dmg I think.

After it started spamming or sam would just run in and out of range for ws until he died. Well geared 80 sam/nin vs meh geared 75pld/nin... yeah it was no contest.

Slow II landed pretty easy para II took a few tries sometimes
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2010-07-03 10:12:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't know if this has been posted already, but going to post some information about Abyssea Traverser Stones and Visitant Status. I've been on a few runs so far, and even very experienced FFXI players don't seem to have a grasp on how this works yet:

After you have the initial cutscene with the Abyssea NPC in Port Jeuno, you'll receive your first Traverser Stone. Enter any Abyssea maw, and then return to the Port Jeuno NPC, and you'll then be allowed to carry up to 3 Traverser Stones.

From that point forward, the following apply:
1. The NPC will acquire a new Traverser Stone every 20 hours (Earth time). The NPC will hold your stock of Stones indefinitely, as far as I can tell. It is not known if there is a maximum the NPC will stock for you, but if there is a maximum, it is definitely more than 3 (note: this is DIFFERENT from Assault ID Tags; they are not the same!!)

2. You may, at any time, request a Traverser Stone from the NPC. If you have any in stock, he will give you one. If you have zero Stones in your possession, and wish to acquire 3 Stones, you'll need to speak to him and request a Stone 3 times. If you don't have any Stones in stock, or are already carrying 3 Stones, the NPC will tell you, and you'll not receive a Stone.

3. Once you enter Abyssea, you have 5 minutes to acquire "Visitant Status" by exchanging 1 or more Traverser Stones with the Surveyor NPC. If you do not acquire Visitant Status within 5 minutes, you will be booted from Abyssea, and receive a 60 minute penalty before you can re-enter Abyssea. Also, if you exit Abyssea without ever acquiring Visitant Status, you will receive the 60 minute re-entry penalty, too.

So, if you're just starting out with Abyssea, or if you are at the maw, awaiting the rest of your group, DON'T ENTER the maw just for curiosity's sake!! And if you just can't help yourself, MAKE SURE you acquire Visitant Status upon entering the maw, even if you turn around and exit right away. Don't screw yourself and your group by acquiring the 60-minute re-entry penalty just because you have A.D.D.

[+]
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2010-07-03 13:07:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Just attempted to duo Bakka, imp NM in Konschtat, with 2 rdm/nin. Casts a lot of Blizzard IV and V, as well as paralyga, bindga and blizzaga 3. Uses grating and stifling tantara, but it wasn't getting much tp, so didn't happen often. These are just like when Zikko uses them, aoe damage as well as the silence/amnesia and wipes shadows. Bind a paralyze never lasted long, and paralyga got resisted more often than not.

Debuffs landed easily (I landed slow with +5 MND, +8 macc, wrong staff and no enfeebling gear at 76). Absorbs ice nukes, and seems to have a fairly high resistance to nukes in general, although I only have 232 skill and use a max damage build.

Blizzaga III was generally doing ~6-700 through stoneskin, but casts it rarely enough that it wasn't a real issue. Paralyze II had him pretty crippled (not sure how many merits my friend has in it).

Was a pretty easy fight really, I screwed up and got caught out with not enough HP at one stage and died to blizzaga III (my cure IV was less than half a second off casting -_-), but aside from that, no real issues.

Until 50%. The moment he hit 50% he cast blizzaga IV, doing 1044 damage through stoneskin to my friend who was wearing dalmy at the time. So yeah, he's a ***.
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-07-03 13:51:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Elanabelle said:
Don't know if this has been posted already,
Already posted multiple times.

Bismarck.Elanabelle
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2010-07-03 17:02:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry for any repeat posting then Krizz.
Like I said, so many people I've seen trying Abyssea out have no clue how the entry system works. Just trying to help people understand that the Traverser Stones are not like Assault ID Tags, and that they need to control their A.D.D. and not enter the maw until everyone in the party is ready to enter.
[+]
 Phoenix.Smileybone
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Smileybone 2010-07-03 17:29:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Diabolos.Gira said:
Phoenix.Smileybone said:
Diabolos.Gira said:
Anyone know if there are any player level or skill level requirements to fish in la Theine?

I have fishing skilled a bit on a lower level character (level 30 mule) and was hoping to burn her traverser stones on some cruor grinding by quest or fishing if possible...

You have to be level 30 to enter Abyssea but I was fishing up rusty items and my fishing is only lvl 2.

Thanks! This may sound dumb but I'm really not a fisher, I did it for moat carp to get some spare gil back in the day; I think my mule has less than 20 skill... so... is there a rod that particularly works better on getting rusty items? Or rather... a rod that sucks so bad at catching fish you only get rusty items? And is a lure better or is bait? All I remember is using a compound rod and insect paste to catch carp... that's it XD!

Also, if you recall, about how frequently did you get rusty items and how much cruor would you say you can/did get in an hour's worth?

I used a Composite Rod and a Fly lure (same thing I use for Manta fishing). As far as frequency sometimes I'd catch like 5 items in a row but yesterday I went like 10 mins w/o a single bite. :/ I didn't fish for an hour but I'd estimate you could make anywhere from 1/2k an hour (which is pretty nice for solo imo). Also if you have sneak you can sneak fish up crabs which are pretty easy to kill and can drop chests. Just watch out for the NM crab, Nahn, he will *** you up.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-07-03 17:40:39
Link | Quote | Reply

What you can fish up is determined by the bait. The rod mostly just determines if you can pull it in (size stuff), or if it can break your line or rod.

Oddly this gives me the idea to farm cruor on my mules. I got 2 that are lvl 20 for fishing so maybe...
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2010-07-03 18:13:29
Link | Quote | Reply

EDIT: This was from my first visit to the one in Dem.
 Midgardsormr.Soki
Server: Midgardsormr
user: soki
By Midgardsormr.Soki 2010-07-03 18:19:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said:

EDIT: This was from my first visit to the one in Dem.
been getting 200-1000 from chests, cleared 3000 in 20 minutes that run.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2010-07-03 18:20:53
Link | Quote | Reply

nice so far 400 is the highest one I've seen.
First Page 2 3 ... 13 14 15 ... 36 37 38