Attack vs DMG
First Page 2
 Quetzalcoatl.Volkom
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: volkom
By Quetzalcoatl.Volkom 2010-04-29 17:31:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I have a question. Does anyone know how much attack equals 1 DMG on weapon.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
Server: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-04-29 17:33:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Depends on the weapon in question and your current amount of buffs.
 Quetzalcoatl.Volkom
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: volkom
By Quetzalcoatl.Volkom 2010-04-29 17:39:55
Link | Quote | Reply

just in general.
like i guess what i'm asking for example
Like if you have a weapon (lets say sword)
sword A. has 35DMG
sword B. has 36DMG

how much attack do you need to do same damage as sword B?
 Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-04-29 17:44:46
Link | Quote | Reply

It's a very difficult question unfortunately; you need to know a lot of information beforehand.

Basically, the damage formula looks like this:

Base Damage * Multiplier

Attack increases the multiplier and DMG increases the Base Damage (as does STR).

It would depend on your current Attack/mob's DEF and Level, current STR, etc etc - a lot of stuff.
[+]
 Cerberus.Ferth
Server: Cerberus
user: Ferth
By Cerberus.Ferth 2010-04-29 17:56:42
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not even really a question that can be answered properly.

Damage and attack work in conjunction to dictate how much damage you do. Try looking up pdif on the wiki.

You can't just have one and hope it makes up for not having the other.

The best example is back before ToAU areas when people were in the 50s and most people exp'd off of crabs. A thief and a samurai in the same party could both be hitting for zero even though the damage on the katana was about three times the damage on the daggers.

If you are wondering about whether to buy an hq weapon over an nq, unless the hq is relatively cheap or has some crazy stat bonuses the nq doesnt have it most likely won't make a huge difference... at most you are looking at a possible difference in around 5 actual damage difference unless the hq weapon brings you into a different weapon tier for fstr.

Sylph.Tigerwoods
Server: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-04-29 18:03:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Depends on what level you are, really. If you're talking low lvs, HQs are definitely worth it.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-04-29 18:06:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
A thief and a samurai in the same party could both be hitting for zero even though the damage on the katana was about three times the damage on the daggers.

You are correct here, and I'll take this opportunity to highlight a key fact about melee damage:

Hitting for zero has NOTHING to do with the DMG on your weapon, only your Attack.
 Hades.Excelior
Server: Hades
user: Excelior
By Hades.Excelior 2010-04-29 18:10:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Raenryong said:
Quote:
A thief and a samurai in the same party could both be hitting for zero even though the damage on the katana was about three times the damage on the daggers.
You are correct here, and I'll take this opportunity to highlight a key fact about melee damage: Hitting for zero has NOTHING to do with the DMG on your weapon, only your Attack.

This is somewhat off topic but do you know a chart that lists the weapon ranks for drk ***? I was just discussing with some1 today about the OAT scythe for drk but no1 sure what weapon rank it was or how that would affect the melee damage. Sorry for off topic D:
 Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-04-29 18:19:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Do you mean weapon rank as in that which determines fSTR caps or where the weapon falls in comparison with others of its type?
 Cerberus.Ferth
user: Ferth
By Cerberus.Ferth 2010-04-29 18:20:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Depends on what level you are, really. If you're talking low lvs, HQs are definitely worth it.

That's usually only true because the hqs almost always cost like 10k... if they cost like 100k I wouldnt bother... especially for a weapon I'll out grow in an hour of exp.
 Sylph.Spiriel
Server: Sylph
user: Spiriel
By Sylph.Spiriel 2010-04-29 18:20:57
Link | Quote | Reply

It's a difficult question to answer because they're very different things. I'm leaving out a LOT of details, but trying to get the explination across.

DMG is directly relevant to weapon skill damage. A DMG 36 will do slightly more than a DMG 35. This is why you don't use DMG 2 weapons at high levels. So if all else is equal, higher DMG is gooder.

Attack raises your minimum damage. If your attack is too low compared to a monster's defense, you'll find yourself doing 0 damage on some hits. For multi-hit weapon skills, it's also a good idea to keep your attack up, but for one-hit wonders, it's not as important. The reason it matters for multi hits is that you raise your "average" by raising that minimum, giving it overall higher damage.

And while we're at it, STR raises your maximum possible damage. STR will also have a small impact on Attack as well.

There's the cliffnotes for DD Gearing 101, at least. It's leaving out a LOT, but for a beginner, that gets you started.
 Hades.Excelior
By Hades.Excelior 2010-04-29 18:24:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Raenryong said:
Do you mean weapon rank as in that which determines fSTR caps or where the weapon falls in comparison with others of its type?

yes, the fstr cap. The conversation as mainly about how the OAT would compare to other scythes and I was saying that it would most likely do a lot more damage than other scythes provided it wasn't given a gimp rank etc.
 Leviathan.Abriel
Server: Leviathan
user: Abriel
By Leviathan.Abriel 2010-04-29 18:25:17
Link | Quote | Reply

if I remember right, any +dmg augments don't affect weapon rank, and I see no reason why this would be any different for magian weapons.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-04-29 18:30:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Abriel said:
if I remember right, any dmg augments don't affect weapon rank, and I see no reason why this would be any different for magian weapons.
Test on an augmented Amano showed otherwise, I can dig up the post if you like.

Excelior: WR = floor(Weapon Damage/9)
fSTR cap = WR+8

for non-H2H weapons.
 Hades.Excelior
By Hades.Excelior 2010-04-29 18:31:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Leviathan.Abriel said:
if I remember right, any dmg augments don't affect weapon rank, and I see no reason why this would be any different for magian weapons.
Test on an augmented Amano showed otherwise, I can dig up the post if you like. Excelior: WR = floor(Weapon Damage/9) fSTR cap = WR 8 for non-H2H weapons.

I'd like to see that cause if it doesn't I'm going to be disappointed.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-04-29 18:35:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Actually, I think the magian weapons were oddly shown to have the extra DMG included in their weapon rank :O

For most weapons, it's floor(DMG/9). Floor means to cut off all decimals, do not round!
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-04-29 18:35:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Hades.Excelior said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Leviathan.Abriel said:
Test on an augmented Amano showed otherwise, I can dig up the post if you like. Excelior: WR = floor(Weapon Damage/9) fSTR cap = WR 8 for non-H2H weapons.

I'd like to see that cause if it doesn't I'm going to be disappointed.
http://www.bluegartr.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3614823&postcount=402
 Cerberus.Neosephiroth
By Cerberus.Neosephiroth 2010-04-29 18:36:02
Link | Quote | Reply

They do affect weapon rank :). Don't worry Excelior hehe. It was one of the first things I tested when I completed the trials ^^.
 Leviathan.Abriel
Server: Leviathan
user: Abriel
By Leviathan.Abriel 2010-04-29 18:37:59
Link | Quote | Reply

it would be nicer to see testing done on the magian weapons themself, as SE seems to love their relic weapons enough to make an exception to the rule.
 Cerberus.Neosephiroth
By Cerberus.Neosephiroth 2010-04-29 18:40:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Well magian weapons don't take years or cost 150 million gil to be fair, you know? :)...but I hope this thread can help the OP. Take care all!
[+]
 Hades.Excelior
By Hades.Excelior 2010-04-29 18:42:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Neosephiroth said:
Well magian weapons don't take years or cost 150 million gil to be fair, you know? :)...but I hope this thread can help the OP. Take care all!

Yea i cared more about it for my apoc but meh lol
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-04-29 19:09:43
Link | Quote | Reply

As far as I know, At least in a direct sense, there is no X attack is equal to having X Damage. They are complimentary however, so as an indirect result of having a ton of attack, you may wind up doing more damage over time than a higher damage weapons.

Essentially weapon DMG affects the absolute damage cap (Before certain values are added, such as Direct Damage bonuses like Souleater) and a high Attack vs Def value forces the numbers to be generated closer to the weapons cap.

To my understanding Weapon damage also has an influence on your ability to hit for 0 in the case of weapons such as Fendoir or MKris, but not really as a direct result of the actual Weapon damage. fSTR caps at a penalty on High level stuff with a weapon with incredibly low damage so occasionally the game will draw low. You can have enough attack to overwhelm that low-draw, but saying weapon damage has absolutely no effect on hitting for 0 is not entirely true, though not entirely false at the same time.

In regards to the Eye of Verthandi OAT Scythe, Aside for about 99% of non HNM endgame application,t he OAT's are generally the most powerful weapons next to Relic Weapons (Perhaps in some cases still better, but I've not seen any situation confirming that yet). In Situations where you are attacking targets with dangerous TP moves, using an OAT weapon is Tantamount to suicide.

Again, this just reaffirms the old (good)players-rule of the right tool, for the right job.

Apocalypse: Victory Achieved!
OAT: Merits/Assorted Low (~83) Targets.
MaxDMG: Big Game.
Hybrid1(DMG100 Def Down): High-Defense Targets.
Hybrid2(DMG97ATK/STR+): Low-Defense(Colibri)
Liberator: Trip to Lunatic Asylum.

Bahamut.Raenryong said:
Actually, I think the magian weapons were oddly shown to have the extra DMG included in their weapon rank :O

For most weapons, it's floor(DMG/9). Floor means to cut off all decimals, do not round!

At first they didn't, Now the do. It was sort of the same issue with the Ranged weapons, but it was overlooked or not tested correctly. Since the Portafurnace patch however, everything has worked as expected. [GM]Iskaldur was particularly helpful when I reported the issue.
 Hades.Excelior
By Hades.Excelior 2010-04-30 04:03:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Why do you have to be crazy to do liberator? =( apocalypse is so bandwagon
 Unicorn.Ninetales
Server: Unicorn
user: Azulmagia
By Unicorn.Ninetales 2010-05-16 00:14:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Hades.Excelior said:
Why do you have to be crazy to do liberator? =( apocalypse is so bandwagon
It's pretty special for something to be worse than Claustrum...
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-05-16 00:19:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I wouldn't call Liberator worse than Claustrum, as it at least has some use rather than being an outright downgrade. It's DRK's best non-2hr zerg weapon iirc. That said, if you're going to spend 100M and countless hours on such a niche weapon instead of Apoc...
 Unicorn.Ninetales
Server: Unicorn
user: Azulmagia
By Unicorn.Ninetales 2010-05-16 00:24:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
I wouldn't call Liberator worse than Claustrum, as it at least has some use rather than being an outright downgrade. It's DRK's best non-2hr zerg weapon iirc. That said, if you're going to spend 100M and countless hours on such a niche weapon instead of Apoc...
This is assuming you can get 300% TP prior to whatever you're zerging... albeit that is usually possible. Still, there is Vengeance.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-05-16 00:33:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, can't think of anything right off hand you'd slow zerg without being able to Meditate beforehand. Vengeance took some of the oomph out of that last advantage, but it was decently close vs Apoc regardless given the high level of Haste you'd be at in such a situation.
 Hades.Excelior
By Hades.Excelior 2010-05-16 00:39:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Doesn't liberator with 300% aftermath generally outparse the other scythes besides apoc? You'd lose WS damage but not quite as much as you'd think due the double attack rate allowing you to WS between aftermaths. I would imagine it would also beat every other scythe in melee damage due to the extremely high OAT rate during aftermath, isn't it 70%?
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-05-16 00:40:59
Link | Quote | Reply

50% as I recall. Vengeance not having to save TP would make it very, very close. The less perfectly you play Liberator the better Vengeance is going to perform in comparison.
First Page 2