Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Dark Knight » Greatsword Build
Greatsword Build
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-04-27 13:55:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Sea torque for WS, maybe Bomb Core... kneejerk reaction says *** acc on one-hit WS but on the other hand Spinning Slash gets a pDIF boost so if you're buffed (or you're using it in the wrong situations) there's a possibility the additional attack means nothing, at which point 6 acc would be a small benefit via increasing the hitrate of any DA/TA. Also either get a 6-hit or a Naglering.
[+]
 Bismarck.Recaldy
Server: Bismarck
user: Recaldy
By Bismarck.Recaldy 2010-04-27 13:57:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Get haste for TP then a fk ton of str/atk for the WS. Pretty easy since drk can use Homam and Neptunal gear.
 Seraph.Rafik
Server: Seraph
user: dascorp
By Seraph.Rafik 2010-04-27 13:57:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Unless the flame ring is augmented. I did see one with accuracy +4 on Monkeydluffy
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2010-04-27 13:58:31
Link | Quote | Reply

4*
 Seraph.Rafik
By Seraph.Rafik 2010-04-27 13:59:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Dracondria said:
4*
my bad
 Alexander.Varistor
Server: Alexander
user: Varistor
By Alexander.Varistor 2010-04-27 14:50:48
Link | Quote | Reply

hey Argettio, tell me what you think of mine. I don't know how to post the gear pic so please just /check my profile on here. 1 change though is i usually use homam head instead of turban in the pic. what you will see is my TP gear. i can list my WS gear if you so request it, let me know.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-04-27 14:51:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Homam head NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
[+]
 Alexander.Varistor
Server: Alexander
user: Varistor
By Alexander.Varistor 2010-04-27 14:59:44
Link | Quote | Reply

i figured i would get that response about the head pc. i have already had a comment made to me by a friend. appreciate the info. i guess i am looking for what is out there that is better then what i got that i can buy/ get so i know wht to strive for. Nuevo has Acc and DA augment

I guess while we are making recommendations, i usually use yellow curry buns and squid sushi. prefered att/acc food for me to use?
 Seraph.Rafik
By Seraph.Rafik 2010-04-27 15:13:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Alexander.Varistor said:
i figured i would get that response about the head pc. i have already had a comment made to me by a friend. appreciate the info. i guess i am looking for what is out there that is better then what i got that i can buy/ get so i know wht to strive for. Nuevo has Acc and DA augment

sorry to disappoint you, nothing is better than w. turban when your accuracy is capped

I know, I am sick of looking at it
By Varistor 2010-04-27 15:16:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Seraph.Rafik said:
Alexander.Varistor said:
sorry to disappoint you, nothing is better than w. turban when your accuracy is capped I know, I am sick of looking at it

i have never had the time to do the calculations to figure out if my acc is capped. is there any way anyone of you can take the few minutes to do that for me based on my gear shown and tell me if i need more acc as in food or where i stand in general? if not, that is fine. thank you all.
 Seraph.Rafik
By Seraph.Rafik 2010-04-27 15:20:21
Link | Quote | Reply

here is a link

ninjafada
 Shiva.Daimos
Server: Shiva
user: Daimos
By Shiva.Daimos 2010-04-27 15:37:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Thread makes me wish GS was viable for WAR.
 Seraph.Rafik
By Seraph.Rafik 2010-04-27 15:39:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Daimos said:

war can use ground strike if you get it unlocked to just mess around with it

was mostly old school for skill chain and sata
 Shiva.Daimos
Server: Shiva
user: Daimos
By Shiva.Daimos 2010-04-27 15:40:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Seraph.Rafik said:
Shiva.Daimos said:

war can use ground strike if you get it unlocked to just mess around with it

was mostly old school for skill chain and sata

Spinning slash looks so much cooler :/

Valefor.Argettio
Server: Valefor
user: Argettio
By Valefor.Argettio 2010-04-27 15:46:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Alexander.Varistor said:
hey Argettio, tell me what you think of mine. I don't know how to post the gear pic so please just /check my profile on here. 1 change though is i usually use homam head instead of turban in the pic. what you will see is my TP gear. i can list my WS gear if you so request it, let me know.

I am not sure what you want to me to look at, but if you mean what your profile current shows (Nagerling)

Get a rose strap to 6/7hit the sword (depending on sub).
Bomblet for TP
Foragers
Homam legs then feet (Ideally in that order)
PCC
Blitz ring (situationally)

Also, probably a real hauby (ideally +1) would be better, 10-12 attack is going to beat 2 DA in most situations in terms of DoT.
[+]
 Phoenix.Airbag
Server: Phoenix
user: Caliber
By Phoenix.Airbag 2010-04-27 15:49:32
Link | Quote | Reply

how is homam body for general drk/drg tping? my drk only has a nq hauby otherwise as far as body pieces goes
By Gias 2010-04-27 15:50:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Hades.Excelior said:
Do you know the math for that 14% increase or no? I've parsed it a few years ago when I hit 75 drk vs subduer and it lost by a wide margin. Just curious.

Sure, assuming 150 str and 70 int on spinning slash,you're pretty much comparing 76 (D) + 16 (fstr) + 56 (WSC) which = 148, to 85 (D) + 17 (fstr) + 56 (WSC) which = 158. Then it's 10/148 = 6.75%

Martial's TP bonus is +20% dmg to WS(going from 2.5 ftp to 3.0 ftp), but then the 85dmg on the other GSs give ~6.75% higher than a 76dmg weapon(with no TP bonus), thus 20% - 6.75% = 13.25% ...so my bad, seems more like +12% to ~13% boost over a 85dmg GS realistically, depends on your GS WS gear etc. but the WS dmg with the TP bonus is still decently higher.

I'm human, if I made a mistake there, anyone can point it out..but I'm pretty sure that is right.

And yeah, I think there was something similar posted on BG about this some time ago as well etc.

I seriously doubt that parse you did when you first hit 75drk means anything in regards to this discussion. There are lots of factors that you need to take into account like mobs, situation, difference in gear between players, and I'm almost certain that the parse did not include a 7hit setup among other things.

Valefor.Argettio said:
Martial sword will get decimated unless you 7 hit it.

And 7 hitting it isn't that easy and relies on some new(ish) armour (Aurum body etc)

Also, this. As mentioned Martial "needs" the 7hit to be able to compete, and it needs either 28STP during WS and 21 during WS, OR 27STP during TP and 26STP during WS for a 7hit/6hit rebuild. As mentioned Meditate and absorb-TP favor it more than other GSs because martial does more dmg from WS, and the more your dmg comes from WS, the better it should be logically.

You could use /sam, rajas,brutal, and Aurum body for the +28STP for TP and only needed 21 for WS , though the other option would be: /sam, rajas, brutal, rose strap, and then either chiv chain + ecphoria ring, or white Tathlum, or "maybe" ecphoria ring + attila's earring(if you were able to augment it with something good/decent), that gives the +27STP for TP and then for the 26STP for WS you just need /sam, rajas, brutal, rose strap, and WS in attila's earring, which isn't that bad...this way you can wear Hauberk+1 or Ebody for TP etc.

You can take that however you want, 6hit Naglering only needs 23STP for TP and 22STP for WS, so it's easier to make...that's obvious, but point is: Martial is not "trash" with "the right setup/gear" it's at the very least decent/competitive as long as acc is not a problem IMO etc.
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-04-27 15:55:11
Link | Quote | Reply

WS gorget. Maximum realistic difference is ~12.3%, less than ideal builds or Nagle's attack being a factor potentially reduce the advantage on each WS. Everything else was solid. Trying to find the discussion you mentioned; was in What's Better or Random Question as I recall and only a month or two ago at most.
[+]
 Valefor.Argettio
Server: Valefor
user: Argettio
By Valefor.Argettio 2010-04-27 16:09:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Airbag said:
how is homam body for general drk/drg tping? my drk only has a nq hauby otherwise as far as body pieces goes

Its ok.

But hauby would be better as DRK is more of a DoT job than most of the 2 handers, so the 1 fSTR and 10 attack will probably beat the Triple attack. blah blah situational blah

@ Nightfyre

Some one did an overview of the maths on Killing Ifrit (in the DRK section), it will be easy to spot as the front page spans back for a like a years worth of threads (R.I.P KI).
[+]
 Bahamut.Satanas
Server: Bahamut
user: Satanas
By Bahamut.Satanas 2010-04-27 16:13:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Argettio said:
Phoenix.Airbag said:

Its ok.

But hauby would be better as DRK is more of a DoT job than most of the 2 handers, so the 1 fSTR and 10 attack will probably beat the Triple attack. blah blah situational blah

@ Nightfyre

Some one did an overview of the maths on Killing Ifrit (in the DRK section), it will be easy to spot as the front page spans back for a like a years worth of threads (R.I.P KI).

Homam wins because its sexy! (Also my first Homam piece :3)
 Seraph.Rafik
By Seraph.Rafik 2010-04-27 16:17:03
Link | Quote | Reply

triple attack on in is hot

is homam body with blitz ring better than haub/+1 and accuracy ring?
 Bahamut.Raenryong
Server: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-04-27 16:22:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Why would one be able to use a Blitz Ring when one has to use an acc ring? They have roughly equal accuracy.

Haub/Haub+1 is generally better than Homam Corazza though.
[+]
 Seraph.Rafik
By Seraph.Rafik 2010-04-27 16:33:46
Link | Quote | Reply

not sure if you understand where I am going with this

would the one haste from blitz ring make it worth to wear homam corazza and keep ~ accuracy that you would normally do with haub/+1 and Ulthalam's/Iota/blood ring till you get an ebody?
By Gias 2010-04-27 16:47:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Seraph.Rafik said:

would the one haste from blitz ring make it worth to wear homam corazza and keep ~ accuracy that you would normally do with haub/ 1 and Ulthalam's/Iota/blood ring till you get an ebody?

No, Hauberk +1 and Homam body have the same accuracy, they both get to use Blitz ring if/when accuracy is capped etc.
 Seraph.Rafik
By Seraph.Rafik 2010-04-27 16:59:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Gias said:
Seraph.Rafik said:

would the one haste from blitz ring make it worth to wear homam corazza and keep ~ accuracy that you would normally do with haub/ 1 and Ulthalam's/Iota/blood ring till you get an ebody?

No, Hauberk 1 and Homam body have the same accuracy, they both get to use Blitz ring if/when accuracy is capped etc.

thanks, wasnt looking at the dex from haub...
 Leviathan.Abriel
Server: Leviathan
user: Abriel
By Leviathan.Abriel 2010-04-27 18:49:00
Link | Quote | Reply

saw someone post about acc gear during Gsword WSs so I'm gonna toss some old info out here.

iirc, it was found out that all 1-hit WSs either have capped acc or very high bonuses, it was also later found that that the same is true for the first hit of multi-hit WSs. after these findings I started parsing 1-hit WSs more often with close to no +acc gear to sway any of my suspicions, with the pooled data of multiple parses I found out that it was close enough to be true (my findings came out somewhere around 94.3% which should be well within the margin of error for somewhere around 600 WSs). I haven't been able to really test the theory for multi-hit WSs, but if you take into account the number of times you see decent tp returns (opposed to 1-3 tp returns) it would seem to also be true to a degree.

attack gear definitely has a positive effect on spinning slash on mobs worth noting (aside from very weak merit/event mobs like colibri or most nyzul mobs which scythe should do better at any way) dependant on on the number of outside buffs and food. I just want to state this for anyone debating the difference between gear with low amounts of +str v. high amounts of atk. if you really want to get down to it, calculate the boost in damage you'll receive from secondary mods, this should be enough to help your decision.