Did Update Affect {Learning (Blue Magic)}?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Blue Mage » Did update affect {Learning (Blue Magic)}?
Did update affect {Learning (Blue Magic)}?
By semimmortal 2010-03-24 18:29:05
Link | Quote | Reply

While I'm not saying that you must/should/could do so, there was a funny time when I was learning the spell Spinal Cleave.
Used that damn move everytime, and I never got it till a week later!

Checked equipments, AF glove's right there.
1 hour, nothing.
1 day, nothing.
Then a few days later, I decided to F this and just auto-attack (and heal/shadow when I was smacked a bit) while I'm finishing my homework... 1st battle, got it.
Oh, then I realized I forgot to equip my AF glove.

WTF SE?
 Titan.Xantavia
Server: Titan
Game: FFXI
user: xantavia
By Titan.Xantavia 2010-03-24 18:32:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I've heard that healing breeze is one of the most common problem spells to learn (along with self-destruct). I've been overall fortunate that the only bad ones for me have been wild oats, bad breath, and metallic body.

However, I am now afraid that the game has just been saving up and will ***-slap me on my remaining spells (body slam, excuviation, all sea spells)
 Unicorn.Boyaci
Server: Unicorn
user: Boyaci
By Unicorn.Boyaci 2010-03-25 14:43:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Finally got it after about 12 hrs of trying.

Thanks again to everyone who responded with their experiences.

Seeing nothing further that can be gained from this topic, please feel free to lock this as resolved. Thank you.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [66 days between previous and next post]
By Almostunsane 2010-05-30 04:17:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Random experience addings:
At time of posting, I'm a 48BLU with capped skill. Currently 0/8 on Refueling. Doesn't sound too bad, except I'm working at a rate of about 1 Cluster every 2 hours, on average. Doing the Lufaise camp, those bombs just do not want to pop sometimes >.> about 12 hours of total camping now.

I don't have many horror stories, but I make up for it by having a generally worse-than-usual rate on spells. Most BLUs I know went 1/1 on the majority of their spells, but I average 1/5~10, worst-case scenarios being 1/42 Metallic Body, 1/20 Self-Destruct, and um... 1/24? I think on Poison Breath.

Ironically, I have fairly good luck with the tougher spells--I solo'd Cold Wave/Filamented Hold at 44 and went 1/1 on both (soloing DC-EM Diremites and T+ Snolls at the time), 1/3 Pollen (I don't know if it's generally difficult, but I helped a friend get it who went 1/36, so yeah), 1/4 Healing Breeze, took about a half hour soloing Tahrongi dhalmels at like 14 (Ironically, I had used Azure Lore in the fight I learned it on because I was about to die... No, I don't believe in that, by the by), 1/6 Cocoon (knowing 3 BLUs who went with records of 1/20~50 on it), and finally 1/1'ing Jettatura solo in Riverne, which I was told was impossible (the soloing part) by most BLUs I knew.

Cannot freakin' wait for Magus Bazubands.
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Flyinghippress 2010-05-30 04:28:30
Link | Quote | Reply

*Riding the necro bumpage train*

Don't you miss the days when all you had to do was have Quina eat the monsters?
[+]
 Asura.Kowen
Server: Asura
user: Kowen
By Asura.Kowen 2010-05-30 04:39:33
Link | Quote | Reply

@Flyinghippress

Nice name.

Almostunsane said:
Random experience addings:
At time of posting, I'm a 48BLU with capped skill. Currently 0/8 on Refueling. Doesn't sound too bad, except I'm working at a rate of about 1 Cluster every 2 hours, on average. Doing the Lufaise camp, those bombs just do not want to pop sometimes >.> about 12 hours of total camping now.

You should get a friend or to help you kill the clusters right outside the Halvung Staging point. They're always up and I think a lot of jobs can solo them pretty easily.

As for Magus Bazubands, I personally never really noticed a difference using them: I've spent days trying to learn a spell with them on, and have also gone 1/1 on spells where I forgot to equip them. :/
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2010-05-30 07:55:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Same Kowen (A long time ago).

@Flyinghippress, sounds all pretty normal to me, you took longer than me to get some spells, and got others a lot faster, it all works out in general. I solo'd refueling the same way you did, and I have to agree with Kowen, get someone to help you in Mount Z. Especially now with people needing to kill 300 of them for their Anteas you might even find people randomly killing them that will let you join.
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-05-30 08:01:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I had a weird experience once. I tried to get Frip for hours and hours and hours with several pts and people helping me and mooching off a blu soloing imps. And the damn imps never even used the move.

I got mad and /rage quitted.

Come back a few months later with a groan knowing I'd have to learn the move and somehow I now had it lol.

Then omw to get spinal cleave at 75 with like 4 other low lvl blus I went and killed the imps on the way and every last one used the move on me and all the other blus got it from that lol
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-05-30 08:04:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Sylph.Sindri said:
3 days to learn Healing Breeze. 1/287 on Magic Hammer. Sometimes it just sucks. CHR is widely believed to affect the rate at which you learn it, Tuna Sushi is a good food. Jesters 1 something to look into at higher levels, Subbing BRD is more viable for survivability but if you dont need it /BST for sure.
I... you... what? No.
Lol this. Even without AF gloves I don't think I've ever gone more than like 10 uses of a move before I learned it once I got my skill capped and am within at least 5-6 lvls of learning the spell. Generally I have it within 3 times of seeing a spell with gloves.

Granted sometimes just getting the mob to use that ability a couple of times has been really really rough... like say leeches and there 50 other moves that they would rather do when you are just trying to learn mp drain kiss.
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2010-05-30 08:09:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
Granted sometimes just getting the mob to use that ability a couple of times has been really really rough... like say leeches and there 50 other moves that they would rather do when you are just trying to learn mp drain kiss.

Oh *** yes.
 Siren.Ihm
VIP
Server: Siren
user: Ihm
By Siren.Ihm 2010-05-30 08:13:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I got Healing Breeze pretty easily actually... about 2nd or 3rd mob. Cocoon and Blastbomb on the other hand... couldn't learn those *** no mater how hard I tried.

Its all luck in the end, same as drop rates really. People go 1/1 on 1% drop rates, people go 1/50 on 50% drop rates, thats just the luck of the draw in the end.
 Shiva.Lorielain
Server: Shiva
user: Atrithk
By Shiva.Lorielain 2010-05-30 08:22:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I spent five hours soloing tauri in phomiuna aqueducts to get frightful roar before I ealized that I couldn't get it 'til level 41.
 Shiva.Superdan
user: SuperDan
By Shiva.Superdan 2010-05-30 08:25:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I got 3 or 4 levels learning healing breeze solo.

it sucks :/
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-05-30 08:34:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Think my worst ones besides leeches and damn weapon breaking ones were pollen and feather storm.

Pollen because well I had 0 skill lol. Feather storm mostly because the mob refused to use the move. I even went /brd cause at that lvl I could just paeon all my hp back and let it tp on me forever.

Triumphant roar was kinda hard in that the mobs are kinda mean to solo. And they like using like 3-4 other moves that kinda suck.

As was Vertical cleave. I mean that 100% slow or whatever it was move pretty much put me on a timer. Kill him before he can take down 6-9 shadows or die myself lol. Then theres the fact that the move itself went thru utsesmi and could damn near 1 shot my taru ***.
 Shiva.Lorielain
By Shiva.Lorielain 2010-05-30 08:46:13
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm worried about the update and what it will do to CoP.
On one hand, it'll be "Easier" and more accessible, but...what if it makes it so that all the BCNMs are uncapped and they give 75s a hard time? I'd be boned then.
 Sylph.Taruzard
Server: Sylph
user: Taruzard
By Sylph.Taruzard 2010-05-30 09:20:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Lorielain said:
On one hand, it'll be "Easier" and more accessible, but...what if it makes it so that all the BCNMs are uncapped and they give 75s a hard time? I'd be boned then.
Well, they've already said the bcnms will be uncapped, but the ENMs(non story ones) are gonna be capped still
 Asura.Kowen
By Asura.Kowen 2010-05-30 10:03:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Sindri said:
1/287 on Magic Hammer.

Holy ****, I didn't see that until Dasva quoted it. That's horrible....
 Fenrir.Vazerus
Server: Fenrir
user: Vazerus
By Fenrir.Vazerus 2010-05-30 13:53:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Gotta love learning blue magic, lol xD. My worst was 1/72-ish for Self-Destruct, and Healing Breeze going 0/25. I'm glad most of my other ones were 1/1 to 1/4.
 Shiva.Lorielain
By Shiva.Lorielain 2010-05-30 13:56:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Taruzard said:
Shiva.Lorielain said:
Well, they've already said the bcnms will be uncapped, but the ENMs(non story ones) are gonna be capped still
Well, yeah. Uncapped, but would they be the same strength as they are, or will they change so that you pretty much need to be 75 to do it?
 Asura.Kowen
By Asura.Kowen 2010-05-30 13:59:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Lorielain said:
Sylph.Taruzard said:
Shiva.Lorielain said:
Well, yeah. Uncapped, but would they be the same strength as they are, or will they change so that you pretty much need to be 75 to do it?

The update notes heavily implied that the mission battlefields' difficulties wouldn't be changed. IIRC, it said something like they would be "more accessible than ever".
 Shiva.Superdan
user: SuperDan
By Shiva.Superdan 2010-05-30 20:44:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kowen said:
Shiva.Lorielain said:
Sylph.Taruzard said:
Shiva.Lorielain said:

The update notes heavily implied that the mission battlefields' difficulties wouldn't be changed. IIRC, it said something like they would be "more accessible than ever".

Hmm.. I don't know how to feel about that..

On one hand, it'd be cool for people unlocking sea who are having trouble with it. But on the other.. It's going to really feel like everyone who's done it before got jipped, lol. Ah well, I guess CoP all way up to unlocking sea will be a cinch.
 Shiva.Lorielain
By Shiva.Lorielain 2010-05-30 21:32:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Superdan said:
Asura.Kowen said:
Shiva.Lorielain said:
Sylph.Taruzard said:
Shiva.Lorielain said:

Hmm.. I don't know how to feel about that..

On one hand, it'd be cool for people unlocking sea who are having trouble with it. But on the other.. It's going to really feel like everyone who's done it before got jipped, lol. Ah well, I guess CoP all way up to unlocking sea will be a cinch.
I got sea access on Atrithk.
Some of it was a bit of a ***, my EGLS didn't do sea, but they helped a bunch.
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2010-05-30 22:44:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Meh, just because you had to walk 15 miles up hill in the snow with no shoes on to get to school doesn't mean your kids should have to. I don't really understand this whole mentality of "Sea was *** hard to get when I got it, so it should still be hard for everyone".

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
Server: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-05-30 22:55:43
Link | Quote | Reply

When I was getting BLU to 37, I would consistently have to spend roughly 4-5 hours per spell. My luck with most things in games is absolutely hideous though.