Forum » FFXI » General » Salvage sets vs. Lvl cap+
Salvage sets vs. Lvl cap+
 Seraph.Gilhaven
Server: Seraph
Game: FFXI
user: Gilhaven
By Seraph.Gilhaven 2010-03-22 21:24:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I wanna start off by saying I'm not trying to offend anyone who has invested the time and money into their salvage sets. That being said this new lvl cap has me thinking if people will still be pursuing these knowing there's better gear to come? I don't do salvage but there are a few sky pieces I don't have yet but would like to...that is until I heard of this lvl cap increase. Now I'm wondering is it worth it to spend the hours camping trigs? Come to think of it will any area's (dynamis, einherjar, sea) be worth it? Maybe SE will just "scale up" our lvl 75 gear to be comparable to lvl 90. Osode with +20 to all stats would turn my crank. Anywho...just wondering if anyone else thunk this way?
By Alaik 2010-03-22 21:26:48
Link | Quote | Reply

inb4 Trial of Magians.
 Hades.Neheyiama
Server: Hades
user: Focusal
By Hades.Neheyiama 2010-03-22 21:28:05
Link | Quote | Reply

If i'm right, they will cap dyna, and einherjar.
 Pandemonium.Raudy
Server: Pandemonium
user: Raudy
By Pandemonium.Raudy 2010-03-22 21:28:17
Link | Quote | Reply

i didnt think dynamis gear is all that great compared to salvage and other endgame sets. i see the advantages to having some pieces. but i would think you'd want to spend your time elsewhere.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-03-22 21:31:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Seraph.Gilhaven said:
Maybe SE will just "scale up" our lvl 75 gear to be comparable to lvl 90.
Trial of...
Alaik said:
inb4 Trial of Magians.

Goddammit. Seriously though, you still don't know about this?
Hades.Neheyiama said:
You're most likely wrong, as they've stated they have no plans to alter current NMs or large-scale battle content. Dynamis and Einherjar are about as big as it gets.
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-03-22 21:34:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Alaik said:
inb4 Trial of Magians.
Seriously doubt they are opening that up to anything but non ra/ex or specific peices kinda like Succor of the Sidhe. I mean they have a sperate category for relic/mythic aside from the weapon and armor one.

As far as the OP... some peices will still be good. Off the top of my head for stuff I can wear.

Skadi legs. Gear haste caps and most people wearing that get close anyways. Combine with acc and store tp will be hard to beat even by something with more haste.

Morrigan body. Refresh bodies are always good. The dmg will probably get beaten but not while refreshing which makes it great blu tp peice.

Skadi feet. Movement speed nuff said.

Morrigan feet. 10 mnd on feet is kinda epic though will probably get close by 99.
 Pandemonium.Atua
user: Atua
By Pandemonium.Atua 2010-03-22 21:40:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
Alaik said:
inb4 Trial of Magians.
Seriously doubt they are opening that up to anything but non ra/ex or specific peices
They're doing it for relic weapons and other gear, why wouldn't they for all current top gear sets?
 Seraph.Gilhaven
By Seraph.Gilhaven 2010-03-22 21:41:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Hindsight being what it is and all that....I suppose its hard to say whether the current gear will still suffice until the lvl cap gets here without seeing what SE actually puts out. Thanks for the input.
By Alaik 2010-03-22 21:42:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Used to upgrade relic weapons, which are rare/ex along with a low level AH sword, if I recall right. That sounds to me like they were trying to emphasize the variety of items you upgrade via the system.

I would still place my money on all 75 gear being upgradeable and while more gear comes out over Lv 75 that may beat alternatives in some (Few) cases (Read: Nocturne Mail for DRG), most 75 pieces will upgrade into 99 pieces.

Of course that has just been speculation so it has the same chance of them making it only select gear though, we'll find out soon enough.
 Seraph.Gilhaven
By Seraph.Gilhaven 2010-03-22 22:00:22
Link | Quote | Reply

So what exactly is "Trial of Magians"? SE call's it "the title given to a new quest series designed especially for level 75 characters." But that's about as vague as it gets. Is there any other info out there on this?
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-03-22 22:01:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Seraph.Gilhaven said:
So what exactly is "Trial of Magians"? SE call's it "the title given to a new quest series designed especially for level 75 characters." But that's about as vague as it gets. Is there any other info out there on this?
What Alaik said. It was discussed at Vanafest.
 Pandemonium.Atua
By Pandemonium.Atua 2010-03-22 22:06:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Seraph.Gilhaven said:
There's another video on another thread... uh.. I forget which. Basicly it's a "you choose your augments," that are actually worth it (+dmg etc), type quest for when you get higher levels. Something of that sort.
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2010-03-22 22:06:35
Link | Quote | Reply

What if, and this is a big what if, there is no gear above level 75, and you have to use trial of the magians to up-grade 75 gear instead?
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-03-22 22:08:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Pandemonium.Atua said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Alaik said:
inb4 Trial of Magians.
Seriously doubt they are opening that up to anything but non ra/ex or specific peices
They're doing it for relic weapons and other gear, why wouldn't they for all current top gear sets?
Read the rest. They have a specific category for relic/mythics. They have a sepeate line of quest for weapons and armor and relic/mythics and some other non equip stuff. Does it make sense to do that if "normal" ra/ex items allowed?

More importantly it was announced that they doing weapons first. Did you notice the rather large number of statless weapons added for this? Quite possibly and probably this will be something like succor of the Sidhe where only "appropriate" equipment can be traded.

Sure they might allow anything but not only would I get my hopes up but really that would just be kinda insane.
By Antonaki 2010-03-22 22:13:56
Link | Quote | Reply

i would definatly trade my Ares body, 14 mil, 2 years of random salvage runs, blood, sweat, tears to a random ??? somewhere in the game for a -5 STR -5 DEX +3 Boned stat.
 Siren.Talonn
Server: Siren
By Siren.Talonn 2010-03-22 22:15:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Antonaki said:
i would definatly trade my Ares body, 14 mil, 2 years of random salvage runs, blood, sweat, tears to a random ??? somewhere in the game for a -5 STR -5 DEX 3 Boned stat.
if you CHOOSE that then thats said. They said you choose the quest you do for the augments which you want. Not random.
 Pandemonium.Atua
By Pandemonium.Atua 2010-03-22 22:17:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
Pandemonium.Atua said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Alaik said:
inb4 Trial of Magians.
Did you notice the rather large number of statless weapons added for this? Quite possibly and probably this will be something like succor of the Sidhe where only "appropriate" equipment can be traded.
Don't suppose those are for etching stats into like the Aern colored weapons? Not thinking to far ahead to get mine or anyone elses hopes up, but I can see them doing this:
Odin.Blazza said:
What if, and this is a big what if, there is no gear above level 75, and you have to use trial of the magians to up-grade 75 gear instead?
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-03-22 22:17:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah it's a choice though how you go about it seems somewhat complicated. Like you get a set of choices most likely based on the line of the quest you are doing maybe the particular peice and most likely the difficulty of the that part of the quest.
By Antonaki 2010-03-22 22:18:19
Link | Quote | Reply

they also said MMM would be soloable and einherjar would be tiered depending on amount of people entering, my point is, i will wait and see before i throw any decent gear in for new numbers.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-03-22 22:24:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Pandemonium.Atua said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Pandemonium.Atua said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Alaik said:
inb4 Trial of Magians.
Did you notice the rather large number of statless weapons added for this? Quite possibly and probably this will be something like succor of the Sidhe where only "appropriate" equipment can be traded.
Don't suppose those are for etching stats into like the Aern colored weapons? Not thinking to far ahead to get mine or anyone elses hopes up, but I can see them doing this:
Perhaps... now that supposedly they are putting more evoliths in making them not as sucky hopefully. Though quick browse shows those weapons stats to be kinda meh too meh for current evoliths to even want to look at. However adding say 3 dmg to alot of the 1 handed ones among the countless other things would indeed probably make it worth.

You might also want to think of the fact that the lvl cap raising is kinda far off and done in stages just to kinda see how viable it is. I doubt they would want to completely unset the current scene with crazy augments on stuff that is already the bestish without someone making the required lvl on it higher.

I'm sure someone will get the complaint by lvl 99s about how the best ws body peice they can get it is like a lvl 98 with +15 all stats... and how this guy with a hauby got lucky or the right choices and got a lvl 59 body with +15 str/dex and 25acc/att. After all the augments from this do actually look good so far
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-03-22 22:25:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Antonaki said:
they also said MMM would be soloable and einherjar would be tiered depending on amount of people entering, my point is, i will wait and see before i throw any decent gear in for new numbers.
MMM is soloable...
By Antonaki 2010-03-22 22:27:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
Antonaki said:
MMM is soloable...

really, whats the catch? coz every MMM iv been in has been *** mobs that are bad enough to trio...
 Fairy.Rorrick
Server: Fairy
user: Rorrick
By Fairy.Rorrick 2010-03-22 22:34:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Hades.Neheyiama said:

They aren't.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-03-22 22:35:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Antonaki said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Antonaki said:
MMM is soloable...
really, whats the catch? coz every MMM iv been in has been *** mobs that are bad enough to trio...
The *** is the setup.

1. kidna depends on which maze you are doing. Obviously fising one is easy peasy if you are good at fishing and the one where you take the goblin with you as well. I've solo'd both those many a times. Probalby crafting too but I haven't done that. While doing NMs is alot harder

2. Runes. Obviously putting runes to raise lvls will make it harder while putting ones to lower it will make it easier. I've heard of people soloing the NMs with the lowering lvl runes.

3. Jobs. Obviously some jobs solo better than others. Obviously some can solo specific mob types that you can purposefully put in there better than others. I believe I've seen screenshots of blms soloing the regular one with groups of mobs with it set for them to be around T/VT range for some pretty good xp.