Wondering If You Can Back Up Your Macros, Before You Format A Pc With Ffxi On It

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Wondering if you can back up your macros, before you format a pc with ffxi on it
Wondering if you can back up your macros, before you format a pc with ffxi on it
 Caitsith.Neonracer
Server: Caitsith
Game: FFXI
user: Neonracer
By Caitsith.Neonracer 2008-11-13 21:32:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm going to be flushing out my pc, and doing a re install..

Was wondering if you can back up the macros that we have.. Was wondering if anyone can tell me how, or if they have already done this.

Backing up Macros or saving them... PC users... anybody???

Help or info would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Shamaya
Server: Asura
user: Shamaya
By Asura.Shamaya 2008-11-13 22:54:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I remember hearing about recent changes like this, for saving stuff server side. This sounds a lot more simple than what I was going to suggest. The way I've always done it is, by going into:
C:/Program Files/Playonline/Square Enix/Final Fantasy XI/USER directory.

Then I would grab my main character's folder and .zip or .rar it. The folders in that directory are all labeled seven-digit hexadecimally (example: 1f9086d. I knew it was main character because it had the highest number of files in it (signifying a large amount of macros and map markings). Alternatively there's a 3rd party app called FFXI Caddy, which lists in detail all of the characters that you have logged into on your comp (and left a respective folder in the USER subdirectory); it shows things like what items you have in your inventory, mog safe, locker, etc.

After .rar'ing just back up w/ whatever method; email, filefront, xdrive, cd, omgfloppy. And when you want to restore, just drag the backed up character folder back into /USER.

Motown's idea sounds much easier though. Might want to just use this method if you ever want to do some heavy macro edit / macro templating on your char, or if you wanted to copy macros and/or mapmarkings to a separate character.
 Phoenix.Osaia
Server: Phoenix
user: Osaia
By Phoenix.Osaia 2008-11-13 22:58:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Here's a way I learned after browsing the web. This will save ALL your data, macros included, and shave all the time it takes to re-update the game. You will need a backup hard drive, or partition on your pc. Goto C:/Program Files/ and right click on the Playonline folder. Hit copy, then paste it to your backup partition or in your backup hard drive. Its about 15gb. Once its done, go ahead and wipe ur pc. After windows re-install, install the Playonline software, and install FFXI. IF you had the expansion packs installed on your pc before you wiped it, you dont need to install them, just make sure you install the POL viewer and the FFXI main game. After you install POL and FFXI, goto your backup partition / backup hard drive and right click on the Playonline folder, hit copy. Browse to C:/Program Files and right click on a open (blank) area and hit paste. It will ask if you wish to overwrite the files, say yes to ALL and let it go about copying. When its done, log into playonline. It will say a error, this is normal. Let it scan files and whatever, then itll log you in. When you clik play for FFXI, itll say error, again this is normal. Itll scan files and whatever and then youre in. You should backup the C:/program files/ Playonline folder regularly (especially after a update)....that way if you need to reinstall you wont have to wait 5hrs for the game to update...itll generally be done in like 25mins.
 Caitsith.Neonracer
Server: Caitsith
user: Neonracer
By Caitsith.Neonracer 2008-11-14 02:58:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I might just do it the "motown "method, b/c I don't have the luxury of backing up my whole system like Osaia had mentioned, but Shamaya, I was thinking about what you said , and rar it.. but it too looks big, so maybe your idea does sound good, and Osaia's without having to wait 5 hrs.. I'd love a 25 min rewrite.. lol

I have to go the 5 hr route...(sigh)<--- At least I have everything though and thats good.

Thanks to all, your input is well worth it!
 Remora.Syraphin
Server: Remora
user: Syraphin
By Remora.Syraphin 2008-11-14 04:42:57
Link | Quote | Reply

C:\Program Files\PlayOnline\SquareEnix\FINAL FANTASY XI\USER

Each folder in that directory is a character you have logged on. just copy all before you format and it'll save your macros and config and chat colours.

then wen you reinstalled FFXI. just paste the copied folders back into the USER folder again.
 Sylph.Hitetsu
Server: Sylph
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2008-11-14 05:37:57
Link | Quote | Reply

The easiest way to do it is using the method Motown suggested, this will back everything up.

Chat colours, macros, markers, etc etc

I do it every 1-2 month, just to keep a moderately updated copy of my macros, I also zip my macro's and email them to myself so I can be sure I have them =P
 Bismarck.Meowmin
Server: Bismarck
user: meowmin
By Bismarck.Meowmin 2008-11-25 23:51:52
Link | Quote | Reply

wondering if osaia's method can be used to install ffxi on another pc to avoid 5 hrs update
 Fairy.Lethewaters
Server: Fairy
By Fairy.Lethewaters 2008-11-26 03:54:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I had to do this once myself when I got a new laptop. I used the method Motown stated. I will point out one thing, I have 2 active characters on 1 POL account. I was only able to back up one. I had to redo the macros for my alt character.
 Odin.Trebla
Server: Odin
user: Trebla
By Odin.Trebla 2008-11-26 04:04:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes, it's possible.

Done that for my PC->Laptop and Laptop->PC.

Just install everything as per normal then shift the updated files and overwrite everything.

Start FFXI and just let it scans it would check that all files are the most updated hence saving time on the downloading process.
 Asura.Vann
Server: Asura
user: Vann
By Asura.Vann 2008-11-26 08:55:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Would this work for going to 360 > Pc or Pc > 360?
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2008-11-26 12:08:03
Link | Quote | Reply

You can copy the files to put FF on another computer, but make sure you also dump the FF-related registry keys or it may behave a little wonky at first. (Plus lose all your POL display settings, etc.)
 Fairy.Bruser
Server: Fairy
user: gorteg3
By Fairy.Bruser 2008-11-26 12:33:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I use to play on ps2 when ffxi first came out for it. I now play on pc. I use my ps2 as back up in case I go somewhere. Ever since SE released the save macro option, made my life easier. Can save from pc and put it on my ps2 (ps3 now). And it goes both ways. It saves my font color, map markers and my chat filters if i had any on when I saved at that point.

And to Lethewaters:
By accident I noticed that when I hit my up and down arrows there are different slots. Seems like you can save different versions of your macros and/or different characters if you have more than one.
If I remember, it says macro slot a, macro slot b, c, d and thats it.